Does faith justify? (I have an answer, but would like input.

Does faith justify?

• Total voters

Bible Highlighter

Law of the Lord is perfect, converting the soul.
Supporter
Jul 22, 2014
✟1,187,903.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Does faith justify?
(Note: I am not asking because I don't know the answer).

Some say that faith does not justify.

However, Scripture says we a man is justified by faith.

“Therefore we conclude that a man is justified by faith without the deeds of the law.”
(Romans 3:28).

“Therefore being justified by faith, we have peace with God through our Lord Jesus Christ:”
(Romans 5:1).

“Knowing that a man is not justified by the works of the law, but by the faith of Jesus Christ, even we have believed in Jesus Christ, that we might be justified by the faith of Christ, and not by the works of the law: for by the works of the law shall no flesh be justified.” (Galatians 2:16).

“Wherefore the law was our schoolmaster to bring us unto Christ, that we might be justified by faith.” (Galatians 3:24).

Bible Highlighter

Supporter
Jul 22, 2014
✟1,187,903.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Faith in Jesus justifies. But this is not to the exclusion of the work of Christ or the blood of Christ. Without Jesus, his work, or his blood, our faith would be futile.

I never said otherwise. I quoted Galatians 2:16 and highlighted how we are “justified by the faith of Christ.” The point of this thread is whether or not faith plays a part of our justification or in being justified.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Mark Quayle

Monergist; and by reputation, Reformed Calvinist
Supporter
May 28, 2018
Pennsylvania
✟780,938.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Widowed
Faith in Jesus justifies. But this is not to the exclusion of the work of Christ or the blood of Christ. Without Jesus, his work, or his blood, our faith would be futile.

Agreed completely. Even the faith --salvific faith-- is not man-produced, but the work of the Spirit of God within.

Upvote 0

Bible Highlighter

Supporter
Jul 22, 2014
✟1,187,903.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
By faith, but not by faith alone. Faith justifies, but that is kind of like saying that gasoline makes a car move. Yes, but you must also turn the ignition, put the car in Drive, and drive it, too.

Yes, James 2:24 says, “Ye see then how that by works a man is justified, and not by faith only.”
In Ephesians 2:8-9: I believe Paul is not referring to the “work of faith” (1 Thessalonians 1:3, 2 Thessalonians 1:11) but he was referring to the works of the Law of Moses and or Law Alone Salvationism without Gods grace. I believe the “work of faith” is only those works as found solely in the Holy Bible and not by any additional church traditions. For faith comes by hearing and hearing the Word of God (Romans 10:17).

Upvote 0

anna ~ grace

Supporter
May 9, 2010
✟108,146.93
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Yes, James 2:24 says, “Ye see then how that by works a man is justified, and not by faith only.”
In Ephesians 2:8-9: I believe Paul is not referring to the “work of faith” (1 Thessalonians 1:3, 2 Thessalonians 1:11) but he was referring to the works of the Law of Moses and or Law Alone Salvationism without Gods grace. I believe the “work of faith” is only those works as found solely in the Holy Bible and not by any additional church traditions. For faith comes by hearing and hearing the Word of God (Romans 10:17).
I agree 100% that Scripture differentiates between works of the Law of Moses, and works within the context of Christian faith; i.e. doing what Christ has commanded us, and loving others.

Upvote 0

Ceallaigh

Veritas Vos Liberabit
Supporter
Oct 2, 2020
The Keep
✟571,608.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I agree 100% that Scripture differentiates between works of the Law of Moses, and works within the context of Christian faith; i.e. doing what Christ has commanded us, and loving others.

Not that I'm in disagreement, but to what degree? It seems unlikely anyone can manage 100% obedience and love for others.

Upvote 0

Bible Highlighter

Supporter
Jul 22, 2014
✟1,187,903.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Agreed completely. Even the faith --salvific faith-- is not man-produced, but the work of the Spirit of God within.

The Scriptures are inspired by the Holy Spirit (2 Timothy 3:16). Faith comes by hearing, and hearing the Word of God (Romans 10:17). So this is how I see how faith is mentioned as a fruit of the Spirit in Galatians 5:22. Jesus marveled at the great faith of the Centurion. If this faith being worked in the Centurion was an act of God, why would Jesus marvel? Jesus is God, and He is one with the Father. The fulness of the Godhead dwelled within Jesus bodily (Which would also include the Holy Spirit). Hebrews 11 tells us that without faith, it is impossible to please God. It tells us that faith leads to faithful actions or the “work of faith” (1 Thessalonians 1:3, 2 Thessalonians 1:11). Now, why would Hebrews 11 tell us that without faith it is impossible to please God? It seems kind of pointless to say this if God is the One who gives us our faith if we are told that without faith it is impossible to please God. The Bible was written to believers and not unbelievers.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

All Glory To God

Aug 13, 2020
U. K.
✟69,537.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Private

Just a thought.

If faith justifies, that would mean election is conditional? No faith, no election.

Upvote 0

Halbhh

Everything You say is Life to me
Supporter
Mar 17, 2015
catholic -- embracing all Christians
✟1,152,895.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Not that I'm in disagreement, but to what degree? It seems unlikely anyone can manage 100% obedience and love for others.
Not too much (never more than we can do!) is required of us, but if we have trust (have 'faith' in) the Lord, we will have the urge and plenty of opportunities to put his gifts to us into use, Christ shows in this wonderfully helpful parable:

14“Again, it will be like a man going on a journey, who called his servants and entrusted his wealth to them. 15To one he gave five bags of gold, to another two bags, and to another one bag, each according to his ability. Then he went on his journey. 16The man who had received five bags of gold went at once and put his money to work and gained five bags more. 17So also, the one with two bags of gold gained two more. 18But the man who had received one bag went off, dug a hole in the ground and hid his master’s money.

19“After a long time the master of those servants returned and settled accounts with them. 20The man who had received five bags of gold brought the other five. ‘Master,’ he said, ‘you entrusted me with five bags of gold. See, I have gained five more.’

21“His master replied, ‘Well done, good and faithful servant! You have been faithful with a few things; I will put you in charge of many things. Come and share your master’s happiness!’

22“The man with two bags of gold also came. ‘Master,’ he said, ‘you entrusted me with two bags of gold; see, I have gained two more.’

23“His master replied, ‘Well done, good and faithful servant! You have been faithful with a few things; I will put you in charge of many things. Come and share your master’s happiness!’

24“Then the man who had received one bag of gold came. ‘Master,’ he said, ‘I knew that you are a hard man, harvesting where you have not sown and gathering where you have not scattered seed. 25So I was afraid and went out and hid your gold in the ground. See, here is what belongs to you.’

26“His master replied, ‘You wicked, lazy servant! So you knew that I harvest where I have not sown and gather where I have not scattered seed? 27Well then, you should have put my money on deposit with the bankers, so that when I returned I would have received it back with interest.

28“ ‘So take the bag of gold from him and give it to the one who has ten bags. 29For whoever has will be given more, and they will have an abundance. Whoever does not have, even what they have will be taken from them. 30And throw that worthless servant outside, into the darkness, where there will be weeping and gnashing of teeth.’

Matthew 25 NIV
=======
The message?

Have faith in Him, and believe He is just and fair and kind, not "hard", and put His gifts He gave to you into use for us all.

Upvote 0

Bible Highlighter

Supporter
Jul 22, 2014
✟1,187,903.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married

After we are saved by God's grace, I believe we need to overcome mortal sin at some point in our life as a part of God's plan of salvation. Mortal sin is any sin that leads to the destruction of our soul in the afterlife. A non-mortal sin would be any sin that does not lead to be destroyed in hellfire. An example would be Matthew 5:22. The first two sins mentioned in Matthew 5:22 are non-mortals sins because they lead to being judged by court systems. The last sin mentioned in Matthew 5:22 is a mortal sin because it leads to hell fire. Yet, popular Christianity tends to just lump all sins together, when this is not the case at all.

Upvote 0

Tree of Life

Hide The Pain
Feb 15, 2013
✟48,077.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Married
Just a thought.

If faith justifies, that would mean election is conditional? No faith, no election.

The Wesleyans and Arminians understand election in that sense. But that is not the Reformed understanding of faith and election.

Upvote 0

anna ~ grace

Supporter
May 9, 2010
✟108,146.93
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
As much as we’re given to do, day by day. God knows we won’t be perfect, but He does seek for and expect and provide grace for effort, growth, and fruits.

• Agree
Reactions: Taodeching
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

fhansen

Oldbie
Sep 3, 2011
✟320,837.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Does faith justify?

“Therefore we conclude that a man is justified by faith without the deeds of the law.”

“Therefore being justified by faith, we have peace with God through our Lord Jesus Christ:”

“Knowing that a man is not justified by the works of the law, but by the faith of Jesus Christ, even we have believed in Jesus Christ, that we might be justified by the faith of Christ, and not by the works of the law: for by the works of the law shall no flesh be justified.” (Galatians 2:16).

“Wherefore the law was our schoolmaster to bring us unto Christ, that we might be justified by faith.” (Galatians 3:24).
Faith makes us just, or righteous, because it resolves the problem of man's most basic injustice or unrighteousness, which is his disassociation or separateness from God, realized at the Fall of man. Man was made for communion with God. Faith is the reestablishment of that connection so that justice or righteousness is restored to man in its most fundamental way. The object of this faith is knowledge, which Jesus came to reveal. Thus:
"Now this is eternal life: that they know you, the only true God, and Jesus Christ, whom you have sent." John 7:3

"No longer will they teach their neighbor,
or say to one another, ‘Know the Lord,’
because they will all know me,
from the least of them to the greatest”
Jer 31:34

Man cannot enter and remain in fellowship or communion with God as new creations of His without receiving real righteousness, historically referred to as the virtues of faith, hope, and, most importantly, love, rather than a merely imputed or declared righteousness. Man is forgiven of sin, but also empowered or enabled by the Spirit to 'go, and sin no more'.
"And hope does not put us to shame, because God’s love has been poured out into our hearts through the Holy Spirit, who has been given to us." Rom 5:5

Love excludes sin by its nature. But we aren't forced to remain in Him, to live by the Spirit:
"Therefore, brothers and sisters, we have an obligation—but it is not to the flesh, to live according to it. For if you live according to the flesh, you will die; but if by the Spirit you put to death the misdeeds of the body, you will live." Rom 8:12-13

Either way, this is what faith is intended to produce. But faith, itself, isn't the equivalent of righteousness for man, or a replacement for it, or a license to be free from its obligation. Rather it's the means to true righteousness because it's the means to the true Author of righteousness who, alone, can place His law in our minds and write it on our hearts (Jer 31:33).
"...not having a righteousness of my own that comes from the law, but that which is through faith in Christ—the righteousness that comes from God on the basis of faith." Phil 3:9

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Soyeong

Mar 10, 2015
Hudson
✟281,745.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Single
Does faith justify?

The same faith by which we are justified is expressed as obedience, but we do not earn our justification by our obedience, which is why Paul said in Romans 2:13 that only doers of the Mosaic Law will be justified, but denied that we earn our obedience by being a doer of the law.

Upvote 0

Citizen of the Kingdom

Supporter
Jan 31, 2006
Vancouver
Visit site
✟304,048.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
The same faith by which we are justified is expressed as obedience, but we do not earn our justification by our obedience, which is why Paul said in Romans 2:13 that only doers of the Mosaic Law will be justified, but denied that we earn our obedience by being a doer of the law.
Because justification is available to everyone whether they are elect or not.(apparently) Nor does it involve obedience. It’s an acceptance of the finished work as a truth, belief. Obedience is to carry on with Him. Sanctified and sanctifier.

Your saying Paul said only doers will be justified and from the other side of his mouth he was saying you can’t be justified that way? It seems a moot thing when the obedience is sanctification and justification is faith in the facts of Christ.

Upvote 0

fhansen

Oldbie
Sep 3, 2011
✟320,837.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Yes, we don't earn our obedience by being doers of the law. Rom 2:13 tells us that the doers of the law are declared righteous- even though the law cannot possibly justify us, cannot make us righteous. Only God can do that. So obedience isn't earned at all but stems from the free gift of love, for those who turn to God and remain in Him. I appreciate the words of a 4th century believer here, Basil of Caesarea, who I've often quoted:
"If we turn away from evil out of fear of punishment, we are in the position of slaves. If we pursue the enticement of wages, . . . we resemble mercenaries. Finally if we obey for the sake of the good itself and out of love for him who commands . . . we are in the position of children."

Last edited:
Upvote 0