Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
Hi, there. I'm just wondering, do any of you happen to know, does Donald Trump go to church? Because we learned when Barack Obama was being criticized for attending the church of that controversial militant black pastor, that Obama had sat in that pastor's pew for 20 years. Thus, Obama goes (or went, at one time) to church. And as for Bill Clinton, he used to be photographed walking to church on Sunday mornings with his (monogrammed) Bible in his hand. Thus, Clinton goes to church, or at least used to. But what about Trump? Does he go to church?

Last edited:

dzheremi

Coptic Orthodox non-Egyptian
Aug 27, 2014
✟426,074.00
Country
United States
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
Donald Trump does have a 'spiritual adviser', of sorts. Her name is Paula White (or Paula White-Cain; she is wife of Jonathan Cain, of the rock'n'roll band Journey), and she is a non-denominational minister who leads a megachurch in Florida. She delivered the invocation speech at Trump's inauguration. For personal/family reasons I don't want to get into, I have heard an awful lot about this woman, and a lot of it is decidedly negative.

Whether Trump actually goes to church or just consults with this lady is something that probably only his inner circle know. I personally have my doubts, but I hope I'm wrong.

Upvote 0

Halbhh

Everything You say is Life to me
Supporter
Mar 17, 2015
catholic -- embracing all Christians
✟1,152,592.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Hi, there. I'm just wondering, do any of you happen to know, does Donald Trump go to church? Because we learned when Barack Obama was being criticized for attending the church of that controversial militant black pastor, that Obama had been in that pastor's pew for 20 years. Thus, Obama goes (or went, at one time) to church. And as for Bill Clinton, he used to be photographed walking to church on Sunday mornings with his (monogrammed) Bible in his hand. Thus, Clinton goes to church, or at least used to. But what about Trump? Does he go to church?

Good question isn't it.

Here's one answer from May 2017 that people could check on by looking up instances of various presidents:

Not very well, Obama and Clinton attended on easter and Christmas, Bush 41, Bush 43, Nixon and Reagan went every week possible, JFK and LBJ went every week possible as well and Trump has so far not attended any church services, been denounced by the Pope and has had numerous Preists and reverents come out against him and bash him for being claiming to be Christian but acting very non-Christian. -- M. Feinstein

https://www.quora.com/How-does-Trumps-church-attendance-compare-with-that-of-the-past-presidents

It's been more than a year since that answer, and perhaps Trump has done a few token things by now? Someone could check.

Upvote 0

Halbhh

Supporter
Mar 17, 2015
✟1,152,592.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
One can't go to church since church is body of believers but if you ask if he meets together with believers then he said multiple times on tv interviews that he was Presbyterian and was baptised ect.

Umm....does that mean baptized as an infant?

Not exactly telling us much then.

• Agree
Reactions: Chinchilla
Upvote 0

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
President Trump attends church occasionally and has a denominational affiliation. What supporters appreciate is that his attendance is apparently not for publicity purposes as was suspected in the cases of some of his predecessors and he does not hesitate to speak of his Christian beliefs in public,which some other presidents who were willing to be seen leaving a church on Sunday morning never or seldom would do.

Upvote 0

Halbhh

Supporter
Mar 17, 2015
✟1,152,592.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
President Trump attends church occasionally and has a denominational affiliation. What supporters appreciate is that his attendance is apparently not for publicity purposes as was suspected in the cases of some of his predecessors and he does not hesitate to speak of his Christian beliefs in public,which some other presidents who were willing to be seen leaving a church on Sunday morning never or seldom would do.

Ah, if he would not only speak of Christianity but also do Christian actions routinely, so that it's clear he is Christian, then we would be happy for this good (in that case).

Does a Christian revile others?

Paul's answer:
English Standard Version 1 Cor ch 6, v10
nor thieves, nor the greedy, nor drunkards, nor revilers, nor swindlers will inherit the kingdom of God.

See? We want to know Trump is not making personal attacks -- has ceased reviling individuals on twitter and other places -- so that we can celebrate a good change for the better.

Upvote 0

The Barbarian

Crabby Old White Guy
Apr 3, 2003
✟363,228.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
Since Trump has said he has no need of God's forgiveness, and has declared that adultery is not a sin, it would be interesting to know what denomination he follows.

Upvote 0

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Ah, if he would not only speak of Christianity but also do Christian actions routinely, so that it's clear he is Christian, then we would be happy for this good (in that case).
That's a reply that could be slapped on any politician that the speaker doesn't care for--and for any reason.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Halbhh

Supporter
Mar 17, 2015
✟1,152,592.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
That's a reply that could be slapped on any politician that the speaker doesn't care for--and for any reason.
I can only say my actual view. I like some things about Trump, dislike the reviling, and would be happy if he stopped that wrong.

Upvote 0

HannahT

Supporter
Apr 9, 2013
✟458,831.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

Does a Christian revile others?

Paul's answer:
English Standard Version 1 Cor ch 6, v10
nor thieves, nor the greedy, nor drunkards, nor revilers, nor swindlers will inherit the kingdom of God.

See? We want to know Trump is not making personal attacks -- has ceased reviling individuals on twitter and other places -- so that we can celebrate a good change for the better.

(Shrugs) Christians are humans too. If you read this board enough? We have many Christians here that revile others routinely. lol Heck revile him as well!

To make matters worse? Celebrate that reviling of him, his supporters, people work for him, etc. Maybe he is following the so called Christian behavior here - and many other place online.

It would be awesome if that stopped too, and we can celebrate a good change for the better!

Upvote 0

Danoh

Oct 11, 2011
✟40,528.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Since Trump has said he has no need of God's forgiveness, and has declared that adultery is not a sin, it would be interesting to know what denomination he follows.

Hey Barb, good to see you still around.

Some interesting info on the history of Trump's supposed "faith."

Overlooked Influences on Donald Trump: A Famous Minister and His Church

https://www.nytimes.com/2016/09/06/...e-collegiate-church-norman-vincent-peale.html

Some background on said famous minister...

The New Age Peale Factor: (Part 1) Norman Vincent Peale and the Occult

http://m.spiritual-research-network.com/new-age-norman-vincent-peale-the-occult.html

• Informative
Reactions: Halbhh
Upvote 0

FireDragon76

Supporter
Apr 30, 2013
Orlando, Florida
✟1,249,087.00
Country
United States
Faith
United Ch. of Christ
Marital Status
Legal Union (Other)
Politics
US-Democrat

Trump tends to go to a church twice a year near Mar-a-Lago. It is an Episcopal church that caters to the affluent in Palm Beach.

He still identifies as Presbyterian even though he probably isn't on the roll of any Presbyterian church anymore. The PC-USA church he attended in Queens growing up is now multi-ethnic and the pastor there has said he wouldn't necessarily find an easy welcome if he were to return to it.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

FireDragon76

Supporter
Apr 30, 2013
Orlando, Florida
✟1,249,087.00
Country
United States
Faith
United Ch. of Christ
Marital Status
Legal Union (Other)
Politics
US-Democrat
A "cultural Christian", then?

The Episcopal Church has more than a few "social parishes" where somebody with power and influence like Trump wouldn't raise much of a fuss, despite his anti-Christ behavior. The social teachings of the Episcopal Church as a whole are very much at odds with Trump, and indeed the church has filed amicus briefs challenging many of his administration's policies.

It's not too rare for affluent narcissists or sociopaths to seek out the Episcopal Church for its social contacts and influence. M. Scot Peck (himself an Episcopalian), in his book, People of the Lie, discusses a case of presumed demonic possession of an Episcopalian woman whose husband joined the Episcopal Church for social contacts so that he and his wife could more easily defraud people in business.

Last edited:
  • Agree
Reactions: jazzflower92
Upvote 0

seeking.IAM

Episcopalian
Supporter
Feb 29, 2004
Indiana
✟931,189.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
…It's not too rare for affluent narcissists or sociopaths to seek out the Episcopal Church for its social contacts and influence...

So that's what is wrong with those fellas at my church? I'd been wonderin'. I knew it was something. Thanks for clearing that up. :rolleyes:

• Haha
Reactions: Halbhh
Upvote 0