Does continuous prayer for the same thing make a difference?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Quiet Storm

Back in Shepherd's arms
Aug 19, 2002
Howard University
Visit site
✟1,269.00
Faith
Christian
I was just thinking: Do you think that if someone is having a problem and prays about it  over and over, any difference is made as opposed to if he or she just prayed about it once, or is it simply something we do that just makes us feel better? Reason being because God heard us the first time, and doesn't forget prayers, so why pray for it over and over again? I don't ask it in a "what's the point" fashion, but more of a curious manner. What do you all think about praying about something, then coming again and again throughout the day/week/month about the same thing, and it's effectiveness? :confused:

I firmly believe in prayers without ceasing. Praying for a situation over time keeps your focus intact. Meaning you are totally focusing on God and His working in a situation and not our own. Sometimes the answers aren't what we would like them to be, but Gods ways are perfect. Staying in prayer about one thing also helps us in making decisions as we are focusing on the doorways that God is opening and trying to force a resolution

Your Brother In Christ

Ken

Upvote 0

wvmtnkid

Order of the Candle
May 29, 2002
West Virginia
Visit site
✟10,466.00
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
I agree with Ken. I also think that sometimes when you pray for something over and over again, God helps you to see what his will is in those prayers. You may find that what you are praying about begins to go in other directions depending on how God is leading you. It takes you out of what you want and puts in the the place to see what God wants for you.

Upvote 0

Phoenix

Feb 14, 2002
Visit site
✟1,460.00
Faith
Christian
I firmly believe in prayers without ceasing

I agree, but one other thing i also think is that, repeating the prayer and coming to God and opening up to Him also lets God know that we are faithful to Him as he is to us. I'm not sure if i can back that up with much Scripture, but it's just my feeling. Pray without ceasing, always giving thanks to our Father in Heaven.

Upvote 0
Luke 11:5-13

And He said to them, "Which of you shall have a friend, and go to him at midnight and say to him, "Friend, lend me three loaves;for a friend of mine has come to me on his journey, and I have nothing to set before him';and he will answer from within and say, "Do not trouble me; the door is now shut, and my children are with me in bed; I cannot rise and give to you'?I say to you, though he will not rise and give to him because he is his friend, yet because of his persistence he will rise and give him as many as he needs.

"So I say to you, ask, and it will be given to you; seek, and you will find; knock, and it will be opened to you.For everyone who asks receives, and he who seeks finds, and to him who knocks it will be opened. If a son asks for bread from any father among you, will he give him a stone? Or if he asks for a fish, will he give him a serpent instead of a fish? Or if he asks for an egg, will he offer him a scorpion? If you then, being evil, know how to give good gifts to your children, how much more will your heavenly Father give the Holy Spirit to those who ask Him!"

He certainly does.

Upvote 0

Blade

Veteran
Site Supporter
Dec 29, 2002
USA
✟630,767.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I believe the Word has the answer to every need. I believe if we find what the word says about, what ever it is we are praying about and then stand on that word. God said to remind him of his word. When I was younger I got stuck on how there is SO much in this world to pray for. And how there is no way we can ever hit them all. Then a very very good freind of mine who's went home now, she said where you stop someone else takes over around the world. I liked that.

Upvote 0

Gerry

Jesus Paid It All
May 1, 2002
Visit site
✟14,307.00
Yes! Good advice so far. I think also this is an example of how prayer is not limited to changing things but prayer also changes people. You cannot repeated pray for someone without becoming more involved in thier life or situation thereby changing your heart and perspective. Prayer is one of the ways we grow and mature as a Christian. So it works both ways. Prayer changes things and prayer changes people.

Wish everyone here could have participated in all the postings on the series about prayer in the prayer forum. Benn going on for a long time and some of the older posts would be such a blessing to so many. But the series will continue soon.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

KnightCross

Jan 6, 2003
NC
✟141.00
Hello!

I think with all the other good advice, you will find that Jesus' example tells the whole story:

Matthew 26:36
Then Jesus went with his disciples to a place called Gethsemane, and he said to them, "Sit here while I go over there and pray."
37He took Peter and the two sons of Zebedee along with him, and he began to be sorrowful and troubled.
38Then he said to them, "My soul is overwhelmed with sorrow to the point of death. Stay here and keep watch with me."

39Going a little farther, he fell with his face to the ground and prayed, "My Father, if it is possible, may this cup be taken from me. Yet not as I will, but as you will."
40Then he returned to his disciples and found them sleeping. "Could you men not keep watch with me for one hour?" he asked Peter.
41"Watch and pray so that you will not fall into temptation. The spirit is willing, but the body is weak."
42He went away a second time and prayed, "My Father, if it is not possible for this cup to be taken away unless I drink it, may your will be done."
43When he came back, he again found them sleeping, because their eyes were heavy.
44So he left them and went away once more and prayed the third time, saying the same thing.

Cheers and God Bless!

Upvote 0

Caedmon

kawaii
Site Supporter
Dec 18, 2001
R'lyeh
✟49,383.00
Faith
Catholic
Politics
US-Others
The more you pray, the deeper your relationship with Jesus gets.

Plus I think that prayers tell Jesus "I love you". You can't say that too many times. ;)

I think the Rosary is an awesome prayer device because it lets you meditate about Jesus, lets you name a bunch of things you want to pray for, and it calms you down if you're upset.

Upvote 0

altya

Servant of God
Apr 28, 2002
South Africa
Visit site
✟14,320.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Sometimes bad things happen in our lives and then you keep on praying the same prayer over and over.

I remember the time when my daughter Sonja had cancer and when through radiation. With every breath I took I whisper a prayer ‘God please heal my Sonja’ Today she is still with us and its 5 years later and no trace of cancer.

Some situations in life cause us to pray over and over the same sentence, I have been in many tough spots that in every thing I do, I breath a prayer. Sometimes it’s a liquid prayer but God do understands our hurts and fears and He answer our prayers.

I would not be satisfied in my soul to pray only one time for Sonja – this would have freaked me out.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.