Does communion have a role in salvation?

Tangible

Decision Theology = Ex Opere Operato
May 29, 2009
cruce tectum
Visit site
✟59,743.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
I'm not sure about all of this.

When people speak of it giving "extra grace", they generally don't mean grace for justification (salvation) but sanctification (growth in holiness).

Obviously, Catholics and EO have a different language and might go that far. But Protestants wouldn't

I'm interested in seeing how it provides growth in holiness, where that is in scripture, and why. John 6 is in the context of abiding in Christ, and is clearly a picture of the Lord's Supper. I doubt it is unrelated.
In Matthew 26 we find this text:

Now as they were eating, Jesus took bread, and after blessing it broke it and gave it to the disciples, and said, “Take, eat; this is my body.” And he took a cup, and when he had given thanks he gave it to them, saying, “Drink of it, all of you, for this is my blood of the covenant, which is poured out for many for the forgiveness of sins. I tell you I will not drink again of this fruit of the vine until that day when I drink it new with you in my Father's kingdom.”

In Lutheran Sacramental theology, we see this as God imparting the forgiveness of sins through the sacrament, and as Luther states in his Small Catechism,

"What is the benefit of this eating and drinking?
These words, “Given and shed for you for the forgiveness of sins,” show us that in the Sacrament forgiveness of sins, life, and salvation are given us through these words. For where there is forgiveness of sins, there is also life and salvation."

So it's not that there is no grace imparted through other means, but that through the means of the Supper we certainly do receive God's gracious forgiveness of sins.

John 1:16 For from his fullness we have all received, grace upon grace.

The Small Catechism is a wonderful, concise statement of Lutheran sacramental theology, as intended for children to learn from their fathers. I would highly recommend reading through it.

Luther’s Small Catechism by Dr. Martin Luther

In his Large Catechism, Dr Luther goes into more depth in discussing the Sacrament of the Altar. Also highly recommended reading.

The Large Catechism - Book of Concord

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Tayla

Site Supporter
Sep 30, 2017
USA
✟147,315.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
I just read this passage and I realized I'd never thought of communion as a way to salvation. Does this passage support that view, and what are your thoughts on communion as a part of our salvation?
Communion provides a focal point for interacting with Jesus.

Upvote 0

concretecamper

Member of His Church
Nov 23, 2013
PA
✟274,713.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
So if partaking of the Eucharist gives us everlasting life and being raised in the last day, logically we're within our rights to wonder if not partaking means we don't have everlasting life and won't be raised in the last day.

The answer is in the scripture you posted.
54 Amen, amen I say unto you: Except you eat the flesh of the Son of man, and drink his blood, you shall not have life in you.
If you do not eat His flesh and drink His blood = no life

• Agree
Reactions: prodromos
Upvote 0

Virgil the Roman

Young Fogey & Monarchist-Distributist . . .
Jan 14, 2006
Kentucky
✟64,604.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-American-Solidarity
Upvote 0

MarkRohfrietsch

Unapologetic Apologist
Site Supporter
Dec 8, 2007
✟827,313.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Communion provides a focal point for interacting with Jesus.
More than that; our risen Lord comes to us physically in His body and blood; transcending both time and space with "all the company of heaven" ; the whole Church on Earth, and those in Heaven.

Upvote 0

JoeP222w

Nov 5, 2015
✟77,175.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Does communion save a person? No, not at all.

Is it an ordinance that the Lord Jesus established in order that we would remember our Savior? Yes, absolutely.

And it is something we should practice often, but it is not a sacrament as it does not grant extra grace. The Christian is granted the full measure of God's grace the moment He justifies them.

Upvote 0

Virgil the Roman

Young Fogey & Monarchist-Distributist . . .
Jan 14, 2006
Kentucky
✟64,604.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-American-Solidarity
Christ spoke in Syriac/Aramaic. In John VI, whenever He says to 'each his Body and blood' the word 'eat' in Aramaic literally means to 'gnaw'. It has to be literal; as to metaphorically eat someone's flesh in Syriac/Aramaic means to despise and hate them. :) Protestantism, for whatever reason, doesn't want to believe Holy Communion as God says in Scripture, "The Bread which we break is a participation in the Body of Christ"; "The Chalice of Benediction is a participation in the Blood of Christ"; and: "My Flesh is true Meat indeed; My Blood is True Drink indeed". (I guess, it'd refute one of their qualms with Roman Catholicism or the Orthodox Church. :) )

Upvote 0

Ron Gurley

What U See is What U Get!
Site Supporter
Sep 22, 2015
Baton Rouge, LA
Visit site
✟87,895.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
RCC doctrine of transubstantiation is false.

Why "sacrifice" Jesus at communion?

Hebrews 7:27 (NASB)
who does not need daily, like those high priests, to offer up sacrifices,
first for His own sins and then for the sins of the people,
because this He did once for all when He offered up Himself.

1 Peter 3:18
For Christ also died for sins once for all, the just for the unjust,
so that He might bring us to God,
having been put to death in the flesh, but made alive in the spirit;

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums