Does Christianity Confuse the world is it broken?

Timahani

Jan 6, 2012
United States-Arizona
✟43,111.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Single
Hello Christian people,
I have been working with a lot of different people from various cultures. One thing that I really like to watch like on youtube is Christian-muslim debates etc. The one common theme that I hear coming up AGAINST Christianity is that there are too many different philosophies, denominations, Bibles etc. I am Christian 100% and I understand the differences, but do you think other faiths have a point. Like don't you think that the church should be more unified Like:

Why are there still white, black, Asian, Hispanic, and yes there are multicultural churches.

Why are there so many denominations: Baptist, southern Baptist, independent Baptist, apostolic, united Pentecostal, Pentecostal, Cogic etc.

Why are there so many different versions of the Bible?

Like do you kind of agree with individuals that this can be very confusing to someone who does NOT understand Christianity?

Just a quick note: I do understand that some churches have a larger number of a particular racial group because of music preference, traditions, styles, culture etc. Some Bibles are made to reach individuals who may have a lower or higher reading ability (like Bibles for children) and denominations can be based upon traditional preferences. I think I get it. But could any of you expand on these ideas?

Shempster

ImJustMe
Supporter
Dec 28, 2014
✟258,881.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Why are there so many denominations: Baptist, southern Baptist, independent Baptist, apostolic, united Pentecostal, Pentecostal, Cogic etc.

Because people interpret things in line with their preconceived paradigm.

Because many words in different languages have deeper meanings than one word cannot accurately describe. In the Chinese language, the way one pronounces a word defines it meaning. That would make any Chinese book wide open for a variety of interpretations. The Hebrew and Greek languages are similar in the sense that one word can have several meanings depending on the subject matter. Add up enough misinterpreted words and the whole meaning of a sentence could be misconstrued.

Like do you kind of agree with individuals that this can be very confusing to someone who does NOT understand Christianity?

Absolutely. I struggled with this for 30 plus years. I know the answer now, but I always wondered why God would make salvation such a complicated thing. It almost appeared to me that He is hiding it from us then blames us later that we never figured it out or that we mistakenly believed the wrong things.
One thing to avoid is mixing up churchianity with Yeshua.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Korean-American Christian

raised Presbyterian. member of the Nazarene Church
Feb 21, 2017
USA
✟17,856.00
Country
United States
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Green
Hello Christian people,
I have been working with a lot of different people from various cultures. One thing that I really like to watch like on youtube is Christian-muslim debates etc. The one common theme that I hear coming up AGAINST Christianity is that there are too many different philosophies, denominations, Bibles etc. I am Christian 100% and I understand the differences, but do you think other faiths have a point. Like don't you think that the church should be more unified Like:

Why are there still white, black, Asian, Hispanic, and yes there are multicultural churches.

Just a quick note: I do understand that some churches have a larger number of a particular racial group because of music preference, traditions, styles, culture etc. Some Bibles are made to reach individuals who may have a lower or higher reading ability (like Bibles for children) and denominations can be based upon traditional preferences. I think I get it. But could any of you expand on these ideas?

Hello Timahani.

Christianity is NOT broken. Christianity is simply an active relationship with my Savior and Lord Jesus Christ.

To someone who does NOT understand Christianity, I agree that the many Christian church denominations CAN BE very confusing.

However, I strongly believe that we Christians must show non-Christians through action and the love of Jesus that -
(1) There is ONE God
(2) Jesus Christ is the one and only Son of God
(3) Jesus Christ died and rose again because He loves EVERYONE
(4)
Jesus Christ is the ONLY way to God because Jesus Christ paid the penalty for sin
(4) Everyone who trusts in Jesus Christ as Savior and Lord will receive ETERNAL LIFE.
we-are-one-in-christ.jpeg

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Godlovesmetwo

Fringe Catholic
Mar 16, 2016
Antwerp
✟17,860.00
Country
Djibouti
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Others
Sincere Christians show the real love of Christ to others. They don't get bogged down in the details of intellectualism.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

_-iconoclast-_

I live by faith in the Son of God.
Feb 10, 2017
Earth
✟37,686.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Private
Hello Christian people,

There are many denoms. Some right some wrong. By their fruits you shall know them.

Im pentecostal. I have no qualms woth Baptist, evan, methodist, pres, church England, etc.

Jh, mormons, universals, non Trinitarian etc do have issue with.

Why cant denoms be seen as members of rhe body. Besides the blatantly wrong ones, whats wrong with having many denoms?

We are united christ arent we?

Ps islam has many denoms

Cheers

Upvote 0

jax5434

Nov 27, 2007
✟31,157.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
No. Just look around on these forums. The fruit of the Spirit is rarely apparent on here. Every heresy and aberrant theology known to the church is advocated somewhere on these pages. Even among the allegedly mainstream Christians on here there is this constant and pointless battle between Calvinists and Non-Calvinist, young-old earth creationist, the nature of original sin and the beat goes on and on. We confuse the world because we are confused. In part, I think, because we prefer theology over relationship. Argument over prayer and meditation. And no, I do not excuse myself.

God Bless
Jax

Reactions: Sarah G
Upvote 0

jax5434

Nov 27, 2007
✟31,157.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
No. Just look around on these forums. The fruit of the Spirit is rarely apparent on here. Every heresy and aberrant theology known to the church is advocated somewhere on these pages. Even among the allegedly mainstream Christians on here there is this constant and pointless battle between Calvinists and Non-Calvinist, young-old earth creationist, the nature of original sin and the beat goes on and on. We confuse the world because we are confused. In part, I think, because we prefer theology over relationship. Argument over prayer and meditation. And no, I do not excuse myself.

God Bless
Jax

As I reread the op I realize I probably misread its intent. I apologize for that.
Although it was a very satisfying rant.
God Bless
Jax

Upvote 0

Aleksandros

May 17, 2017
Bangalore
✟28,296.00
Country
India
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Christianity is best approach to by simply reading the Bible with a prayerful attitude and asking God Himself to help you and keep you safe from delusions and heresies.

The fundamentals of the faith do not change and are designed so that even kids can understand it, and if you prayerfully approach the matter, you will always end up in the right place.

Just read the Bible like a six year old, and don't get involved with complicated things.

Upvote 0

Timahani

Jan 6, 2012
United States-Arizona
✟43,111.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Single
:smiley::smiley::smiley:Trust me Christian people! I get it :smiley::smiley::smiley::smiley:!!!!!!!!!!
Its all about relationship with our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ AMEN! And not about religion. I am not needing the lesson. I am just seeing it through the eyes of other faiths who do not understand this form of Christian Jargon. It is very strange to others. For example, muslims all over the world pray the same way, they all must learn the quran and try to learn it in Arabic. They have the same washing rituals before prayer. I have SEEN, not that I agree with, but I have seen many Christian debates turn sour because people often say : Which Bible is the authentic word of God and they start listing like 50 different Bibles and the crowd cheers AGAINST the Christian or they say...Which church is the REAL CHURCH OF JESUS CHRIST.. then they point out: This church says women should not wear pants, this church believes heavily in modesty, this church honors the real Sabbath, this church does NOT, this church believes in the Baptism of the Holy Ghost, this church does Not and they all state Biblical reasons for their beliefs.

I GET IT You cannot divide the Divine Essence,Power,and Nature of my Lord and Savior Jesus Christ never. I was just wanting to see how other christians in a debate would address these issues. Thank u.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Aleksandros

May 17, 2017
Bangalore
✟28,296.00
Country
India
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
There is some truth in what you say, and it might be very profound. But still ??? :)
I really didn't mean it profoundly, hahaha. I honestly do believe the Gospels are designed by God so that even a kid could get it.

I just meant to say read it very simple mindedly, without over complicating it, as being the word of God.

Upvote 0

stuart lawrence

Oct 21, 2015
✟70,875.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Christianity is best approach to by simply reading the Bible with a prayerful attitude and asking God Himself to help you and keep you safe from delusions and heresies.

The fundamentals of the faith do not change and are designed so that even kids can understand it, and if you prayerfully approach the matter, you will always end up in the right place.

Just read the Bible like a six year old, and don't get involved with complicated things.
If you just read the Bible as a six year old, would you hold to what are considered by many to be fundamentals of the faith, devised over centuries by scholars and theologians?

Upvote 0

Timahani

Jan 6, 2012
United States-Arizona
✟43,111.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Single
Lol! I am always rattling the fence. I agree God has some simplistic ideas like: God is Love and He Loves his Children.

But just imagine for a moment the concept of God dying, or God sending purposefully his son to die, or in the Old Testament God needing a Blood Sacrifice to wash away our sins ( now the animal sacrificing I do not understand). But God is 3 persons yet one....the Father,Son,and Holy Spirit........
Some concepts are like 2+2=4 , but I can see how others can be hard for a nonchristian to fathom.....outside of theological differences...If I were totally ignorant to Christianity, I might be overwhelmed with what book to read, what church to attend, rather to sit quietly in church, or to hollar and dance, and give God a Pentecostal Holy Ghost Praise.......hmmm I guess I would choose according to my personality , to the church with the best cooks,and the most love....no I am joking a little bit

• Informative
Reactions: Godlovesmetwo
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

AarontheStudent

שָׁלוֹם עֲלֵיכֶם
Jul 24, 2017
Cincinnati, Ohio
Visit site
✟15,777.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anabaptist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
If you just read the Bible as a six year old, would you hold to what are considered by many to be fundamentals of the faith, devised over centuries by scholars and theologians?
I think some children six years old could, yes.

Upvote 0

stuart lawrence

Oct 21, 2015
✟70,875.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I think some children six years old could, yes.
A six year old could understand what they needed to know, absolutely:

Then Jesus, full of joy through the holy spirit said: I praise you father, Lord of heaven and earth, for you have hidden these things from the wise and learned and revealed them to little children. yes father, for this was your good pleasure
Luke10:21

If they understood the above, they would know, they wouldn't need to understand what the wise and learned insisted on knowing, wouldnt they

Upvote 0

stuart lawrence

Oct 21, 2015
✟70,875.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Hello Christian people,

The problem may be caused by people relying on their little grey cells to understand the Bible. For according to the Bible believers can only be of one heart and one mind through the Holy Spirit who dwells in all Christians.
But many, especially those blessed( or cursed in this regard) to have a high IQ, trust in that IQ, and rely on it to understand the spiritual:

Do not deceive yourselves. If anyone of you thinks he is wise by the standards of this world he should become a fool so that he may become wise.
For the wisdom of this world is foolishness in God's sight. As it is written: He catches the wise in their craftiness.
And again: The Lord knows the thoughts of the wise are futile
1cor3:18-20

• Winner
Reactions: Sarah G
Upvote 0

paul1149

that your faith might rest in the power of God
Supporter
Mar 22, 2011
NY
✟674,364.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
:smiley::smiley::smiley:Trust me Christian people! I get it :smiley::smiley::smiley::smiley:!!!!!!!!!!
Its all about relationship with our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ AMEN! And not about religion. I am not needing the lesson. I am just seeing it through the eyes of other faiths who do not understand this form of Christian Jargon. It is very strange to others. For example, muslims all over the world pray the same way, they all must learn the quran and try to learn it in Arabic. They have the same washing rituals before prayer. I have SEEN, not that I agree with, but I have seen many Christian debates turn sour because people often say : Which Bible is the authentic word of God and they start listing like 50 different Bibles and the crowd cheers AGAINST the Christian or they say...Which church is the REAL CHURCH OF JESUS CHRIST.. then they point out: This church says women should not wear pants, this church believes heavily in modesty, this church honors the real Sabbath, this church does NOT, this church believes in the Baptism of the Holy Ghost, this church does Not and they all state Biblical reasons for their beliefs.

I GET IT You cannot divide the Divine Essence,Power,and Nature of my Lord and Savior Jesus Christ never. I was just wanting to see how other christians in a debate would address these issues. Thank u.
Hi Timahani,
It's a real problem, and it's not going away. If you go back to the epistles and to Acts, you see that the problem is already present. Paul comes against those who preach wrong doctrine, and John promises church discipline against an elder who is running a local church as his own fiefdom. Paul and Barnabas separated in ministry because of a policy disagreement.

I don't think the problem can be eliminated completely, because people haven't changed, but it can be reduced to the point where disagreements are proportional to their substance. IOW, we can get egos and personalities out of the way. To the greatest degree possible, we can agree to disagree, and agree on the things most basic.

In the comparison to Islam, though, I think there's a lot of irony at work. Christianity looks chaotic, with all its different denominations, different Bibles, different cultures and rules, etc. But almost all the Bibles are in overwhelmingly substantial agreement, as most of the denoms are on the basics.

Islam, OTOH, looks relatively uniform. There are two main branches, and some smaller sects. They pray the same prayers at the same times of day. They eat similar diets, profess a lot of the same things. But Islam has achieved this by the edge of the sword. Their idea of "church discipline" is something else, indeed. Islam's sharia law knows no separation of church and state, so where Islam is ascendant the civil laws enforce the religion, often very harshly. And when a new Islamic sect does arise, such as ISIS, those not believing exactly as they do are in trouble, because they are fodder for plunder, the sword and the slave market. Inconceivably, that is true even today, in the 21st Century.

Muhammad preached "there is no compulsion in religion" in his early days. But as soon as he amassed political and military strength, the earlier irenic verse were conveniently abrogated. Perhaps the highest Islamic authority, coming out of Cairo, said just a few years ago that "without the apostasy laws there would be no Islam." That's a stunning statement. If you leave Islam, you lose everything - your family, your livelihood, even your life.

Which system then is better? Freedom with diversity, or enforced uniformity? Each system mirrors the character of its God. Our God does not kill, He woos. Yes, many Christians have gotten that wrong, especially in earlier days, but as Scripture says, they know not what spirit they are of.

We've got work to do. We need to hear the Holy Spirit better and work on building the kingdom, and not tearing down all who disagree. But as with Paul and Barnabas, some differences are honest, and should be respected. There is no shame in letting God be God and in letting Him sort things out in His own time.

This is not a perfect situation. But it is better than militant uniformity and aggression toward those who believe differently.

Upvote 0