Does (Chalcedonian) Orthodoxy suffer from imperial consciousness?

archer75

Site Supporter
Nov 16, 2016
USA
✟256,152.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Forgive me, I didn't mean to challenge what you have experienced, as I don't doubt that it is a true phenomenon. I just meant that such things appear to be more popular on the internet than off of it, or so it seems to an outsider like me. But certainly every kook on the internet is also probably a kook in real life.
I'm actually normal, I just play this kooky character on the internet for fun.

Upvote 0

Lukaris

Orthodox Christian
Site Supporter
Aug 3, 2007
Pennsylvania, USA
✟754,677.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched C-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhäuser Gate. All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain.

Blade Runner.

Reactions: TheLostCoin
Upvote 0

straykat

Apr 17, 2018
Catacombs
✟22,648.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
I think Orthodox (and Eastern Catholics tbh) have a healthy appreciation for hardship. Maybe even see God more from it. And if not, God seems to make sure of it anyhow. What imperial powers are we even referring to? They're all gone. The church of Greece and Byzantium suffered centuries of Ottoman rule. Russia and the Slavic world suffered a century of Bolshevik rule. There are no other imperial powers worth mentioning.

Consider that the Ecumenical Patriarch resides in Turkey, where it might as well still be Ottoman. Erdogan has built a whopping 9000 mosques in the last 10 years. I'm pretty sure they still follow Islamic law that heavily taxes Christians, forbids them from preaching the gospel, and forbids the construction of churches without approval - and I'm pretty sure they have never once given into any approval whatsoever. And probably little approval to even renovate the decrepit churches that are there. And before that, they committed genocide on Armenians. And no one still cares.

Should I even mention Palestine? I'd probably get banned and couldn't stop myself from airing out my disgust for Zionism. How about Syria? How pathetic is it that the Orthodox best chance of survival is some Alawite Muslim who's villainized by the whole world and whose own time is probably up.

Upvote 0

ArmyMatt

Site Supporter
Jan 26, 2007
Earth
✟1,466,185.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
But what do you mean by conservative? Those who follow the definition of what it means to be Orthodox, or those who believe Father Seraphim Rose and Father Theodore Zisis are Gospel?

those who know Orthodoxy, and find it in Fr Seraphim Rose, Fr Theodore Zisis, Fr Alexander Schmemann, etc are the conservatives. those who make a guru out of any man, at the expense of others, are the liberals.

Upvote 0

Lukaris

Orthodox Christian
Site Supporter
Aug 3, 2007
Pennsylvania, USA
✟754,677.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
If it were not for Sts. John of Damascus, Maximos the Confessor, & Gregory Palamas I think the situation in the Church would not be good. Though they are considered our most important saints after the Apostles, they were against a system that has repeatedly shown itself to be cruel & corrupt.

The strange thing now is that at least the old system tried to be faithful while I think the system now may end up being seized by sell outs.

• Agree
Reactions: ArmyMatt
Upvote 0

dzheremi

Coptic Orthodox non-Egyptian
Aug 27, 2014
✟429,802.00
Country
United States
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
Erdogan has built a whopping 9000 mosques in the last 10 years.

Ugh. He just sucks so much. Turkey's never been great for Christians (to put it extremely mildly), but there's not even any secular reason to support that Wahhabi puppet or to continue to believe in the lie that Turkey represents some sort of moderate 'best face' of the Muslim world. (I imagine that would be better said of a place like Jordan, but that's another discussion.)

trukey.jpg

How about Syria? How pathetic is it that the Orthodox best chance of survival is some Alawite Muslim who's villainized by the whole world and whose own time is probably up.

Hey! God is not an Alawite Muslim. ;)

Upvote 0

ArmyMatt

Site Supporter
Jan 26, 2007
Earth
✟1,466,185.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
If it were not for Sts. John of Damascus, Maximos the Confessor, & Gregory Palamas I think the situation in the Church would not be good. Though they are considered our most important saints after the Apostles, they were against a system that has repeatedly shown itself to be cruel & corrupt.

The strange thing now is that at least the old system tried to be faithful while I think the system now may end up being seized by sell outs.

don't forget Sts John Chrysostom and Basil the Great. I think you could add them to your list.

• Agree
Reactions: Lukaris
Upvote 0

TheLostCoin

A Lonesome Coin
Site Supporter
Sep 29, 2016
Ohio
✟234,420.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
Blade Runner.
Call me a slave to the system, but I enjoyed that movie, and I thought that whole scene was beautiful and sad.

I really enjoy Dystopian media, especially when there is a very explicitly clear parallel to stories of the Bible or Christianity in general.

In Blade Runner, it's the War in Heaven, with the Fallen Angels revolting against their "Father" / Inventor.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Lukaris

Orthodox Christian
Site Supporter
Aug 3, 2007
Pennsylvania, USA
✟754,677.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Call me a slave to the system, but I enjoyed that movie, and I thought that whole scene was beautiful and sad.

I really enjoy Dystopian media, especially when there is a very explicitly clear parallel to stories of the Bible or Christianity in general.

In Blade Runner, it's the War in Heaven, with the Fallen Angels revolting against their "Father" / Inventor.

I still like it & interesting insight.

Upvote 0

prodromos

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Nov 28, 2003
Sydney, Straya
✟1,181,092.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Ugh. He just sucks so much. Turkey's never been great for Christians (to put it extremely mildly), but there's not even any secular reason to support that Wahhabi puppet or to continue to believe in the lie that Turkey represents some sort of moderate 'best face' of the Muslim world. (I imagine that would be better said of a place like Jordan, but that's another discussion.)

trukey.jpg

Hey! God is not an Alawite Muslim. ;)
images.jpeg

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

archer75

Site Supporter
Nov 16, 2016
USA
✟256,152.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
I feel "Conservative" in Orthodoxy should be divided into different subcategories.
(Yes, it is an old thread but I excuse myself by saying I have not slept)
"Conservative" generally doesn't mean much and maybe should be abandoned as a term...more or less as you suggested.

Upvote 0

dzheremi

Aug 27, 2014
✟429,802.00
Country
United States
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
Dividing into 'conservative' and 'liberal' wings is the desiccation of any church/communion. Just look at the modern RCC, if you can stand to. :( (That's not me attempting to pick on them or make fun; I was there myself for years, after all.)

There might not be any good single term(s) to use to describe Orthodoxy, as the entire discourse in western societies is so politicized and ridiculous (e.g., if you say "traditional", then it invites people to look for their "modern" parishes/people, which do exist but probably aren't a very good exemplar of more 'standard' Orthodox theology, eccelsiology, or whatever).

My question would be: isn't that a good thing? To be essentially above any such division that can be described in such low, secular terms probably makes Orthodoxy more attractive to people who are looking for exactly this -- and I personally know many to whom this applies. (And yes, I have talked to them about the faith, even though they are atheists and you guys don't think I'm Orthodox anyway. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯)

Reactions: archer75
Upvote 0

Not David

I'm back!
Apr 6, 2018
USA
✟231,310.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Dividing into 'conservative' and 'liberal' wings is the desiccation of any church/communion. Just look at the modern RCC, if you can stand to. :( (That's not me attempting to pick on them or make fun; I was there myself for years, after all.)

There might not be any good single term(s) to use to describe Orthodoxy, as the entire discourse in western societies is so politicized and ridiculous (e.g., if you say "traditional", then it invites people to look for their "modern" parishes/people, which do exist but probably aren't a very good exemplar of more 'standard' Orthodox theology, eccelsiology, or whatever).

My question would be: isn't that a good thing? To be essentially above any such division that can be described in such low, secular terms probably makes Orthodoxy more attractive to people who are looking for exactly this -- and I personally know many to whom this applies. (And yes, I have talked to them about the faith, even though they are atheists and you guys don't think I'm Orthodox anyway. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯)
Unfortunately, we live in a Western Hemisphere and we see how some Orthodox people are being influenced by Protestantism in its liberal and progressive form so it is inevitable that that will happen.

Upvote 0

dzheremi

Aug 27, 2014
✟429,802.00
Country
United States
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
Is it really inevitable, though? I admit that I do not know how things work out in EO parishes, but in my little parish (6 families + whatever visitors we may have) there was frequent disagreement along political lines between the Egyptians and the Ethiopians (one of the Ethiopians voted for Obama...), but it was kept to the agape meal after the liturgy.

Upvote 0

Not David

I'm back!
Apr 6, 2018
USA
✟231,310.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Is it really inevitable, though? I admit that I do not know how things work out in EO parishes, but in my little parish (6 families + whatever visitors we may have) there was frequent disagreement along political lines between the Egyptians and the Ethiopians (one of the Ethiopians voted for Obama...), but it was kept to the agape meal after the liturgy.
I thought we were talking about "religious conservative/liberal".

Upvote 0