Does Bible knowledge make you less likely to go to hell?

Jaxxi

Half-ready for Anything.....
Jul 29, 2015
Phoenix, AZ
✟50,046.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
Some people are very arrogant in their Bible knowledge and are almost in your face with it or quick to tell you your comprehension is lacking. Why is this? Are people who know the Bible really well less likely to go to hell? Or could they be more likely because they know the Bible so well they will be held more accountable than those who don't know it?

Reactions: calmlady

Hammster

Psalm 144:1
Christian Forums Staff
Site Advisor
Site Supporter
Apr 5, 2007
New Jerusalem
Visit site
✟1,728,693.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Married
First off, no. Secondly, what if someone’s understanding of scripture is very wrong, and there’s someone who has spent years in study and prayer, and they correct the first person? Is that arrogance? Maybe the first person has a pride issue that they need to deal with, and so it’s just easier to accuse the other person of arrogance.

Upvote 0

WolfGate

Site Supporter
Jun 14, 2004
South Carolina
✟448,579.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
History is filled with people who had great Bible knowledge but failed to understand the message of God or the gospel. The Pharisees had great Bible knowledge but clearly Jesus tore their system apart. Leaders of the Christian church in the early and middle ages had great Bible knowledge but used it to control the people and build political power while keeping the actual message of the gospel a secret (totally withholding the Bible from their people). People with great Bible knowledge have used it to justify slavery, murder, and a domineering domestic structure. So I don't think knowledge alone makes you less likely to go to hell, you still have to actually believe the gospel. In many ways, knowledge without applied action and faith can result in pride, which may be a barrier to accepting grace.

Luke 18:17 - Jesus said "Truly I tell you, anyone who will not receive the kingdom of God like a little child will never enter it".

• Winner
Reactions: Jaxxi
Upvote 0

Jaxxi

Jul 29, 2015
Phoenix, AZ
✟50,046.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
First off, no. Secondly, what if someone’s understanding of scripture is very wrong, and there’s someone who has spent years in study and prayer, and they correct the first person? Is that arrogance? Maybe the first person has a pride issue that they need to deal with, and so it’s just easier to accuse the other person of arrogance.
No that is not the case at all. I am not talking about anyone I have encountered personally, so if you are insinuating something, note taken. No I am talking about where I have seen on other forums people who had a grandiose personality and basically referred to others as peons because they did not share in " enlightened knowledge from the Father" as they were a "true Child of God". That is merely one example. This person knew Hebrew and Greek, and knew translations but had a very non- loving, unChristian way of exploiting others lack of Biblical knowledge which was equated as being " ignorant and on the wide path to destruction". It was painful to see him interact with others because he seemed to want to shred anyone who came near. Moderators said ," Oh you have to excuse him. That's just how he is." It actually encouraged others to have a more aggressive approach to discussing the gospel where you would think they would be enjoying each other more and appreciating the chance to discuss the gospel. ( I thought to myself, these people cannot possibly be this arrogant, rude and proud and truly be Christians- and I left. )

But I say unto you, that whosoever is angry with his brother without a cause shall be in danger of the judgment; and whosoever shall say to his brother, ‘Raca,’ shall be in danger of the council; but whosoever shall say, ‘Thou fool,’ shall be in danger of hell fire .Matthew 5:22

Reactions: 2PhiloVoid
Upvote 0

Hammster

Psalm 144:1
Christian Forums Staff
Site Advisor
Site Supporter
Apr 5, 2007
New Jerusalem
Visit site
✟1,728,693.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Married
No that is not the case at all. I am not talking about anyone I have encountered personally, so if you are insinuating something, note taken. No I am talking about where I have seen on other forums people who had a grandiose personality and basically referred to others as peons because they did not share in " enlightened knowledge from the Father" as they were a "true Child of God". That is merely one example. This person knew Hebrew and Greek, and knew translations but had a very non- loving, unChristian way of exploiting others lack of Biblical knowledge which was equated as being " ignorant and on the wide path to destruction". It was painful to see him interact with others because he seemed to want to shred anyone who came near. Moderators said ," Oh you have to excuse him. That's just how he is." It actually encouraged others to have a more aggressive approach to discussing the gospel where you would think they would be enjoying each other more and appreciating the chance to discuss the gospel. ( I thought to myself, these people cannot possibly be this arrogant, rude and proud and truly be Christians- and I left. )

But I say unto you, that whosoever is angry with his brother without a cause shall be in danger of the judgment; and whosoever shall say to his brother, ‘Raca,’ shall be in danger of the council; but whosoever shall say, ‘Thou fool,’ shall be in danger of hell fire .Matthew 5:22
Okay. Then I have this to say. :)

God works His grace in various ways. Someone could be loud and obnoxious and be saved (God working in him at His pace), and someone who is quite and polite could be lost.

Upvote 0

Jaxxi

Jul 29, 2015
Phoenix, AZ
✟50,046.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
History is filled with people who had great Bible knowledge but failed to understand the message of God or the gospel. The Pharisees had great Bible knowledge but clearly Jesus tore their system apart. Leaders of the Christian church in the early and middle ages had great Bible knowledge but used it to control the people and build political power while keeping the actual message of the gospel a secret (totally withholding the Bible from their people). People with great Bible knowledge have used it to justify slavery, murder, and a domineering domestic structure. So I don't think knowledge alone makes you less likely to go to hell, you still have to actually believe the gospel. In many ways, knowledge without applied action and faith can result in pride, which may be a barrier to accepting grace.

Luke 18:17 - Jesus said "Truly I tell you, anyone who will not receive the kingdom of God like a little child will never enter it".
That is an excellent way to put it. Thank you for such clarity. I think you could be right. That is what I meant. It leads to pride.

Upvote 0

Jaxxi

Jul 29, 2015
Phoenix, AZ
✟50,046.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
Okay. Then I have this to say. :)

God works His grace in various ways. Someone could be loud and obnoxious and be saved (God working in him at His pace), and someone who is quite and polite could be lost.
Or they could both be saved or both be lost. I guess that is for the Lord to decide.

Upvote 0

Hmm

Hey, I'm just this guy, you know
Sep 27, 2019
Shropshire
✟186,379.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
Some people are very arrogant in their Bible knowledge and are almost in your face with it or quick to tell you your comprehension is lacking. Why is this?

The more you know about something, the more you know how little it is you know. And the opposite is also true.

Upvote 0

Bobber

Feb 10, 2004
✟216,676.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Some people are very arrogant in their Bible knowledge and are almost in your face with it or quick to tell you your comprehension is lacking.

I've seen it both ways. Seen it with people having great knowledge and yet they don't have WISDOM. WISDOM would tell them you don't have a condescending attitude towards anybody....they walk in the fruits of the spirit of love, joy and peace etc. But let's hold on now....I've seen many with great knowledge who DO have wisdom and are very gracious and kind and yet merely because someone doesn't like what they said....(what God said really) they get offended and claim that other is arrogant. You do know too right that some people's comprehension IS lacking? Yes you be harmless as a dove and seek to show much diplomcy in speech but at the end of the day in major important themes you do have to get across to them they may be mistaken.

Are people who know the Bible really well less likely to go to hell?

Let's just say each one better know the Bible when it comes to it's major themes. God uses the good news to impart his salvation. Jesus said his words are spirit and LIFE.

Or could they be more likely because they know the Bible so well they will be held more accountable than those who don't know it?

Yes God expects more from one who has greater light. Keep this in mind though. God will not allow as an excuse someone who he's given much time to become enlightened an out by their saying they didn't know this or that. It's God through men who are trying to teach people things that they need to live closer and be more victorious in God.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Eloy Craft

Myth only points, Truth happened!
Site Supporter
Jan 9, 2018
Chandler
✟386,808.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
A way to distinguish the evil spirit from the Holy Spirit is to imagine both as a drop of water that lands on the soul. Both can infuse biblical knowledge. If from the evil spirit it will land like on a stone. Big splash great show to see but no water is retained and so no change has happened. If from the Holy Spirit the drop will land like on a sponge. Little splash but the water is absorbed and permeates the soul causing permanent change.

Upvote 0

Kenny'sID

Site Supporter
Feb 28, 2016
USA
✟585,394.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
No I am talking about where I have seen on other forums people who had a grandiose personality and basically referred to others as peons because they did not share in " enlightened knowledge from the Father" as they were a "true Child of God".

We have those here, and I think its more a matter of people being entirely too arrogant, than heaven and hell.

I often see them as so arrogant they have made themselves delusional, and pointing out errors in their knowledge of the bible can be quite entertaining. :)

Upvote 0

Jaxxi

Jul 29, 2015
Phoenix, AZ
✟50,046.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
The more you know about something, the more you know how little it is you know. And the opposite is also true.
This could be true to an extent for example I had read the New Testament- understood it. All was good. Then I learn that it has to be read from a spiritual realm level and read for prophesy. Boom! I start reading it from a spiritual realm and it's a whole new book like I had never read it before. Thank God I read it again with an open mind, not thinking I knew it all! You know how you read a book, you don't need to read it again! You remember the story! This was different and I asked within myself, how did He do that? And my answer came back as a half chuckle as You can refer to the Book regarding anytime in human history on any topic and the answer is there for the body, mind and spirit if you know where to look and how to read it. That is why it is called The Living Word. And I was silent and got goosebumps. Then I said. " Thank You. So much. Thank you." ( tears then..tears now):amen:

• Winner
Reactions: pescador
Upvote 0

Joyous Song

Jun 5, 2020
Buffalo
✟46,575.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Some people are very arrogant in their Bible knowledge and are almost in your face with it or quick to tell you your comprehension is lacking. Why is this? Are people who know the Bible really well less likely to go to hell? Or could they be more likely because they know the Bible so well they will be held more accountable than those who don't know it?

James warns that the more you know, the more you will be judge (I think its chapter 3.1). Thus those who know and quote the Scripture should do this knowing they WILL be judged by what they say:

"1. Not many of you should become teachers, my fellow believers, because you know that we who teach will be judged more strictly. 2 We all stumble in many ways. Anyone who is never at fault in what they say is perfect, able to keep their whole body in check.

3 When we put bits into the mouths of horses to make them obey us, we can turn the whole animal. 4 Or take ships as an example. Although they are so large and are driven by strong winds, they are steered by a very small rudder wherever the pilot wants to go. 5 Likewise, the tongue is a small part of the body, but it makes great boasts. Consider what a great forest is set on fire by a small spark. 6 The tongue also is a fire, a world of evil among the parts of the body. It corrupts the whole body, sets the whole course of one’s life on fire, and is itself set on fire by hell."

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Jaxxi

Jul 29, 2015
Phoenix, AZ
✟50,046.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
James warns that the more you know, the more you will be judge (I think its chapter 3.1). Thus those who know and quote the Scripture should do this knowing they WILL be judged by what they say:

"1. Not many of you should become teachers, my fellow believers, because you know that we who teach will be judged more strictly. 2 We all stumble in many ways. Anyone who is never at fault in what they say is perfect, able to keep their whole body in check.

3 When we put bits into the mouths of horses to make them obey us, we can turn the whole animal. 4 Or take ships as an example. Although they are so large and are driven by strong winds, they are steered by a very small rudder wherever the pilot wants to go. 5 Likewise, the tongue is a small part of the body, but it makes great boasts. Consider what a great forest is set on fire by a small spark. 6 The tongue also is a fire, a world of evil among the parts of the body. It corrupts the whole body, sets the whole course of one’s life on fire, and is itself set on fire by hell."
That is a really scary thought Lord have mercy on us.

Upvote 0

EpicScore

Sep 16, 2017
✟41,079.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Single
Having a good Bible knowledge would help a sincere believer to be less likely swayed by false beliefs and strange doctrines (Ephesians 4:14), but Bible knowledge by itself doesn't save. Satan probably knows more about the Bible than the best theologians, and he's not saved.

Reactions: calmlady
Upvote 0

Joyous Song

Jun 5, 2020
Buffalo
✟46,575.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
That is a really scary thought Lord have mercy on us.

It can be which means those who seek to learn Scripture must cultivate humility when speaking of what they know. We need to watch what we say and recognize and admit mistakes if we make them. So its not impossible to read and teach, just that is carries a lot of responsibility is not NOT necessary for salvation.

We had two thousand years of people who were willing to take that risk. Their lessons have stood the test of time. Following someone whose testimony has been a light for centuries but is also easy to understand is fine. Also the cross and its implication is easy to understand as well is the call" we are to love our neighbor even our enemies and a servant is not greater than their Master. also "Judge not least you be judge" (and its like: "forgive us our trespasses as we forgive the trespasses of others:).

If you do these things you should be fine without reading anything. Indeed the Creeds are also a easier source of understanding, they were created for those who could not read, after all. So salvation is easy. you do not need to become a teacher and many who probably should not,

• Agree
Reactions: Jaxxi
Upvote 0