Does believing in evolution contradict Christianity?

Status
Not open for further replies.

freezerman2000

Living and dying in 3/4 time
Feb 24, 2011
South Carolina
✟39,130.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
My case?..What case? I have already been pardoned when I accepted Christ and began to believe IN Him.John3:16 is my trump card..I don't have to believe the way that any MAN tells me.
God alone is my judge.

Upvote 0

Gary51

Senior Veteran
Sep 4, 2007
South Yorkshire, England
✟21,383.00
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Private
yet you claim to be a GAP theorist? That's not believing how God has described his creation...

Yes it is, Gen 1: In the beginning God created the heavens and the earth. Gen 2; And the earth BECAME without form.

Look in footnote of Gen 2, it says WAS or maybe BECAME. It should say became.

You are free to believe which is the correct word, because that has no effect on Gen 1:26 which describes the creation of man.

Upvote 0

Gary51

Senior Veteran
Sep 4, 2007
South Yorkshire, England
✟21,383.00
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Private
My case?..What case? I have already been pardoned when I accepted Christ and began to believe IN Him.John3:16 is my trump card..I don't have to believe the way that any MAN tells me.
God alone is my judge.
The case of your belief/disbelief in creation.

Upvote 0

freezerman2000

Living and dying in 3/4 time
Feb 24, 2011
South Carolina
✟39,130.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
The case of your belief/disbelief in creation.
Oh, I believe that God created the heavens and the earth, I just believe that it was much more involved than the Genesis account.

Upvote 0

ChristianT

Newbie Orthodox
Nov 4, 2011
Somewhere in God's Creation.
✟17,831.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Yes it is, Gen 1: In the beginning God created the heavens and the earth. Gen 2; And the earth BECAME without form.

Look in footnote of Gen 2, it says WAS or maybe BECAME. It should say became.

You are free to believe which is the correct word, because that has no effect on Gen 1:26 which describes the creation of man.

except that you have a whole gap of creation history which is never stated in the lost text of "Genesis 1 : 1.5"

Upvote 0

Gary51

Senior Veteran
Sep 4, 2007
South Yorkshire, England
✟21,383.00
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Private
except that you have a whole gap of creation history which is never stated in the lost text of "Genesis 1 : 1.5"

Gen 1 States that in the beginning God created the heaven and earth. That is only the beginning of matter.

John 1:1 goes back to a beginning before matter.

The Bible is not cronological.

Anyway, this thread is about Gen 1:26.

Upvote 0

Resha Caner

Expert Fool
Sep 16, 2010
✟155,600.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Your last paragraph seems to be confusing elements of science, philosophy, and theology.

Maybe you didn't understand my point.

If we examine the science behind sexual reproduction there's nothing about it that would indicate that Sarah would give birth to Isaac.

Every biologist I have pressed on this point has given me the same answer. And, since biology now claims to be merely an outgrowth of physics, every physicist I have pressed on this point has also given me the same answer.

I asked this: When it is said that mutation is random, is it meant that it is truly random, or is it that it's too complex for us to know what will happen. Their reply is: it is truly random. By definition, the meaning of "random" is that no one - not even God - can predict what will happen. If you say God is at the steering wheel, then you make God part of the creative process and it is no longer evolution. It is different than a person deciding to procreate or not procreate because we are (supposedly) within the evolutionary process - part of it - a result of it. God would (supposedly) be outside that evolutionary process.

Yes, the science of evolution refers to an undirected, non-progressive flow of adapting, changing life that evolves in order to survive an ever-changing environment. Black beetles in a white environment are more likely to be eaten than white beetles in a white environment, therefore white variant beetles are going to more likely survive and pass on their genes to the next generation.

Your example is of natural selection, which doesn't pertain to the random mechanism of mutation. The important question here is: Why was the environment white in the first place? Was it determined to be white? Evolution would say no. If we pushed the reset button and started over, the next time the environment might be black ... or red or purple. Whatever. It's random. No one knows what the environment will be. All we know is that when it happens, beetles will be selected to match with that environment.

So, it's more than God not knowing about Isaac. The result would be that God wouldn't even know if humans would ever exist. He would just have to randomly pick the most promising species when it showed up. By evolutionary theory, then, if God did exist, he might have decided to pick dolphins for his plan rather than some random hominid.

Upvote 0

Gary51

Senior Veteran
Sep 4, 2007
South Yorkshire, England
✟21,383.00
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Private
Oh, I believe that God created the heavens and the earth, I just believe that it was much more involved than the Genesis account.

Yes, you reason around God's word on that matter. I get that.

For me, I simply believe what God has actually said. I don't need to reason around it and form opinions and theories.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Gary51

Senior Veteran
Sep 4, 2007
South Yorkshire, England
✟21,383.00
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Private
Christians disagree with man's interpatition. God didn't write the bible. The bible isn't God.

Sent from my tablet using CF

I think if you search scripture you will find that God did write the Bible.

As it states, All sripture is given by God. 2 Timothy 3:16

Upvote 0

MrJDSmith

A nobody who knows nothing
Feb 4, 2007
✟8,623.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
Gary51 said:
I think if you search scripture you will find that God did write the Bible.

As it states, All sripture is given by God. 2 Timothy 3:16

inspired not given
but if you wish to call man(who wrote the bible) God that is up to you.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Oct 12, 2012
✟7,876.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Maybe you didn't understand my point.

Every biologist I have pressed on this point has given me the same answer. And, since biology now claims to be merely an outgrowth of physics, every physicist I have pressed on this point has also given me the same answer.

I asked this: When it is said that mutation is random, is it meant that it is truly random, or is it that it's too complex for us to know what will happen. Their reply is: it is truly random. By definition, the meaning of "random" is that no one - not even God - can predict what will happen. If you say God is at the steering wheel, then you make God part of the creative process and it is no longer evolution. It is different than a person deciding to procreate or not procreate because we are (supposedly) within the evolutionary process - part of it - a result of it. God would (supposedly) be outside that evolutionary process.

Your example is of natural selection, which doesn't pertain to the random mechanism of mutation. The important question here is: Why was the environment white in the first place? Was it determined to be white? Evolution would say no. If we pushed the reset button and started over, the next time the environment might be black ... or red or purple. Whatever. It's random. No one knows what the environment will be. All we know is that when it happens, beetles will be selected to match with that environment.

So, it's more than God not knowing about Isaac. The result would be that God wouldn't even know if humans would ever exist. He would just have to randomly pick the most promising species when it showed up. By evolutionary theory, then, if God did exist, he might have decided to pick dolphins for his plan rather than some random hominid.
I wasn't part of the conversation, but wanted to comment on this point:

I think this point gets close to the bottom-line disconnect between the skeptical science minded person, and the one who believes in a Creator based on faith (and perhaps a lack of evidence in their eyes to even support that faith), regardless of whether we're talking about biology, physics, etc.

I have often thought it boils down to a matter of causality.

Random mutations, the origin of origins, unexplained physical phenomena ... on the most basic, no labels attached levels ... the skeptically minded scientist would need to acknowledge the existence of a causality that is not "classical" per se, of which agencies with will and intent are able to interact with our own "classical causality" and that one, through some mechanism.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.