Does anyone want to learn German with me?

writewords

Meant for ministry. Gloria in excelsis Deo.
Feb 24, 2017
Missouri
✟34,856.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Divorced
Politics
US-Republican
There are some striking similarities. German is a parent language from which english, Dutch, Swedish etc. come from. Go read part of the German Bible then a Dutch one. Dutch gets a lot from German.

• Agree
Reactions: -Hannah-
Upvote 0

writewords

Feb 24, 2017
Missouri
✟34,856.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Divorced
Politics
US-Republican
It is also fairly similar to English. Knowing some German helps me at least read it to a degree to basically get the idea. Apps such as Google translator and some grammar books help. Word order is simular.

Upvote 0

Roseonathorn

Site Supporter
Jan 27, 2017
Finland
✟131,729.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
I am a swedish speaking Finn. I have travelled in Germany and lived on different places for 3 years and a bit in the Netherlands in my Youth. Actually since I am a gardener and have partly studied floristry. It would be beneficial to know and learn Dutch. However the pesticides was a bit to heavy for me, so i might have to switch to a different work. My teacher said I was such a good grower so I could maybe grow some perennials and use them, but that would be seasonal since we have long winters and cold spring. I have been almost fluent in German almost 20 years ago but I suspect i have forgotten it so It could be refreshed if I only had time. A week ago I watched Beauty and the Beast with real people on Youtube. The movie was made by Germans and it was only part of the movie but I understood it all. It was very well done. They spoke clear German and not overly clear but real German. The text on the movie was english so one that does not understand German could follow. To see the whole movie one have to register a membership and pay a monthly fee and i did not want to do that quite yet. We have no television nor any video membership and no time to watch many movies but from time to time I like to hear other languages and movies are a great way to learn. I watch Finnish, German, and English and Swedish movies or halfmovies and sometimes other nordic languages. Usually childrens movies because the language is simpler and they are not as violent or othervise inappropriate. It is very clear that in those countries where the kids watch movies in english with the text, they learn more english than if they do not hear the english at all. It gets easier for them to speak english as well so If You plan to learn any language plan to watch at least two good movies a week. Maybe not donald duck because You do not hear Him speak properly. Walt Disney has a world out there, and christian movies does too, maybe they have something in another language as well. is it christliche filme deutche filme kinderfilme filme fur kinder You can look for Best wishes

Upvote 0

writewords

Feb 24, 2017
Missouri
✟34,856.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Divorced
Politics
US-Republican
I am a swedish speaking Finn. I have travelled in Germany and lived on different places for 3 years and a bit in the Netherlands in my Youth. Actually since I am a gardener and have partly studied floristry. It would be beneficial to know and learn Dutch. However the pesticides was a bit to heavy for me, so i might have to switch to a different work. My teacher said I was such a good grower so I could maybe grow some perennials and use them, but that would be seasonal since we have long winters and cold spring. I have been almost fluent in German almost 20 years ago but I suspect i have forgotten it so It could be refreshed if I only had time. A week ago I watched Beauty and the Beast with real people on Youtube. The movie was made by Germans and it was only part of the movie but I understood it all. It was very well done. They spoke clear German and not overly clear but real German. The text on the movie was english so one that does not understand German could follow. To see the whole movie one have to register a membership and pay a monthly fee and i did not want to do that quite yet. We have no television nor any video membership and no time to watch many movies but from time to time I like to hear other languages and movies are a great way to learn. I watch Finnish, German, and English and Swedish movies or halfmovies and sometimes other nordic languages. Usually childrens movies because the language is simpler and they are not as violent or othervise inappropriate. It is very clear that in those countries where the kids watch movies in english with the text, they learn more english than if they do not hear the english at all. It gets easier for them to speak english as well so If You plan to learn any language plan to watch at least two good movies a week. Maybe not donald duck because You do not hear Him speak properly. Walt Disney has a world out there, and christian movies does too, maybe they have something in another language as well. is it christliche filme deutche filme kinderfilme filme fur kinder You can look for Best wishes

Wow! Thank you for all of that information. I am very interested in language, and try to download language apps and books onto my phone and kindle. I have found some television shows on YouTube in German and some subtitled movies in German about historical events. Learning parent languages is very helpful.

Upvote 0

faroukfarouk

Fading curmudgeon
Apr 29, 2009
Canada
✟279,058.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Been starting to learn German and some Dutch. Anyone interested in joining me?
Hi; if you have a German Bible read John's Gospel chapter 1, over and over. The language there is simple and clear and you will be able to absorb the words well, probably.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

writewords

Feb 24, 2017
Missouri
✟34,856.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Divorced
Politics
US-Republican
Hi; if you have a German Bible read John's Gospel chapter 1, over and over. The language there is simple and clear and you will be able to absorb the words well, probably.

Thank you. John's language is simple. 1st John is actually where they start first year Greek students.

Reactions: faroukfarouk
Upvote 0

faroukfarouk

Fading curmudgeon
Apr 29, 2009
Canada
✟279,058.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Thank you. John's language is simple. 1st John is actually where they start first year Greek students.
A similar comment could also be made about Revelation, at least from a linguistic - if not interpretational - perspective (since John was again the penman).

Upvote 0

writewords

Feb 24, 2017
Missouri
✟34,856.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Divorced
Politics
US-Republican
A similar comment could also be made about Revelation, at least from a linguistic - if not interpretational - perspective (since John was again the penman.)

Yes. A good observation.

Upvote 0

*LILAC

Site Supporter
Jan 22, 2005
✟457,587.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

Great idea. :) I have a German/English Bible NKJV I can use. Starting with simple things like the Lord's Prayer would be ideal.

Reactions: faroukfarouk
Upvote 0

faroukfarouk

Fading curmudgeon
Apr 29, 2009
Canada
✟279,058.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Great idea. :) I have a German/English Bible NKJV I can use. Starting with simple things like the Lord's Prayer would be ideal.
Reading familiar passages in 2 languages is a really good way to learn. It can also be a great blessing to get extra shades of meaning that one maybe overlooked previously. :)

• Agree
Reactions: *LILAC
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

faroukfarouk

Fading curmudgeon
Apr 29, 2009
Canada
✟279,058.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Hi; being a Swedish-speaking Finn - and maybe with a Lutheran heritage also - must give you some linguistic advantages and opportunities! :)

Reactions: writewords
Upvote 0

Roseonathorn

Site Supporter
Jan 27, 2017
Finland
✟131,729.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Hello Farouk I do not belong to any church anymore but my husband goes to pentecostal church. I do not feel so pentecostal, it feels more like a show, but I was raised in that church. I have visited many churches, also lutheran, presbyterian and catholic ones around Europe. I am still a christian however.

Upvote 0

Roseonathorn

Site Supporter
Jan 27, 2017
Finland
✟131,729.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Ich bin der Herr, dein Gott. Du sollst keine anderen Götter haben neben mir.
I am the Lord God. Thou shalt have no other Gods before me.
I wrote ten commandments in german and landed on all of them with translation in different languages in www.thoughtco.com check them out probably other interesting things too. Good night, in this time zone.

Reactions: writewords
Upvote 0