Does anyone remember Johnson's "War on Poverty"?

twin1954

Baptist by the Bible
Jun 12, 2011
✟86,544.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
Upvote 0

stamperben

It's an old family tradition
Oct 16, 2011
✟53,694.00
Faith
Humanist
Marital Status
Private
Upvote 0

Belk

Site Supporter
Dec 21, 2005
Seattle
✟904,577.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Married
Reactions: JustOneWay
Upvote 0

stamperben

Oct 16, 2011
✟53,694.00
Faith
Humanist
Marital Status
Private
I never said that it wouldn't be worse today. You are putting words in my mouth. What I am saying is that after all these years it has made little to no difference.
There's an actual difference between a negative 1 and a negative 10.

Think about it...

Upvote 0

twin1954

Baptist by the Bible
Jun 12, 2011
✟86,544.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
So your initial question was actually disingenuous?
I am sure that you could take it as being disingenuous but I asked the question in order to set up discussion and because when I originally asked the question I had not looked up any specifics of how it was going.

Upvote 0

twin1954

Baptist by the Bible
Jun 12, 2011
✟86,544.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
There's an actual difference between a negative 1 and a negative 10.

Think about it...
The problem here is that you are assuming that it would be worse if the war on poverty had not been declared. That is an un-provable assumption. We don't really know what would have happened if it hadn't been declared. But it was and the result is that it has made no real difference.

Upvote 0

variant

Happy Cat
Jun 14, 2005
✟294,851.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
The problem here is that you are assuming that it would be worse if the war on poverty had not been declared. That is an un-provable assumption. We don't really know what would have happened if it hadn't been declared. But it was and the result is that it has made no real difference.

How do you know that?

There is a correlation between social welfare spending and the reduction of poverty:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Welfare's_effect_on_poverty

1280px-The_Antipoverty_Effect_of_Government_Spending_Vector_Graph.svg.png

Reactions: Audacious
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

stamperben

Oct 16, 2011
✟53,694.00
Faith
Humanist
Marital Status
Private
All poor people just need to quit being lazy. If they were all hard workers they also could be billionaires like my good friend Trump.
Goes to show I didn't work hard enough to get a huge inheritance. Guess Pop didn't either. Man I sure hope my kids can!

Upvote 0

ChristsSoldier115

Mabaho na Kuya
Jul 30, 2013
The greatest state in the Union: Ohio
✟26,502.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
In Relationship
Goes to show I didn't work hard enough to get a huge inheritance. Guess Pop didn't either. Man I sure hope my kids can!
Unlike my other conservative buddies I believe everybody needs to work hard for their own. So I lose much respect to parents who buy their children their first car, or pay for their college. The child should be doing that with their own hard work. I don't have much respect for people who are given things just for breathing the air. That includes inheritance.

Upvote 0

twin1954

Baptist by the Bible
Jun 12, 2011
✟86,544.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
All poor people just need to quit being lazy. If they were all hard workers they also could be billionaires like my good friend Trump.
True there are some lazy ones but that is not really the cause of poverty in my opinion. It is that they have never known or been taught how to manage money. An example would be that those poor who win the lottery are poor again within 5 years. That is because they didn't change the way they handle money when they had it. The same lifestyle and practice that made and kept them poor is what made them poor again.

But to your point, the first colonists tried the communal model and everyone shared in the bounty harvested. It didn't take long for some to realize that they didn't have to do anything in order to eat so they didn't contribute to the society. It didn't last long.
http://www.freerepublic.com/focus/f-news/1285981/posts

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

ChristsSoldier115

Mabaho na Kuya
Jul 30, 2013
The greatest state in the Union: Ohio
✟26,502.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
In Relationship
True there are some lazy ones but that is not really the cause of poverty in my opinion. It is that they have never known or been taught how to manage money. An example would be that those poor who win the lottery are poor again within 5 years. That is because they didn't change the way they handle money when they had it. The same lifestyle and practice that made and kept them poor is what made them poor again.

But to your point, the first colonists tried the communal model and everyone shared in the bounty harvested. It didn't take long for some to realize that they didn't have to do anything in order to eat so they didn't contribute to the society. It didn't last long.
http://www.freerepublic.com/focus/f-news/1285981/posts
I know many hard workers who are poor. The "american dream" increases their poverty, and well as those who withhold opportunities from them to hoard it for themselves or for those they know. Everyone must have their own thing in america. that is the typical american ideal. This cultural hiccup has problems, because it creates discontent, which is a sin. Our own culture encourages sin, but nobody wants to admit it. Everyone wants the best, and everyone thinks they deserve it. This is a cross-class american cultural thing. The worldview isn't limited to just the poor. It cannot be changed overnight like anything that involves culture.

Upvote 0