Does anyone personally know someone who was perfectly healthy, who’s now in ICU?

Jok

Jul 9, 2019
Indiana
✟42,261.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Engaged
Because of Covid-19? I’ve heard of 3 situations, from friends of friends, but in all the cases the person was a complete mess before getting Covid. I just want to get a feel for how many perfectly healthy people end up in ICU, outside of news outlets.

Chesterton

Whats So Funny bout Peace Love and Understanding
Supporter
May 24, 2008
Flatland
✟860,379.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
I do know someone who was perfectly healthy and is now in ICU, but it was due to a falling piano. HOW MANY MORE PEOPLE HAVE TO DIE BEFORE WE DO SOMETHING ABOUT FALLING PIANOS??!!

But no, I don't know nor have I heard of anyone with Covid-19.

• Informative
Reactions: Jok
Upvote 0

redleghunter

Thank You Jesus!
Supporter
Mar 18, 2014
Texas
✟176,076.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Because of Covid-19? I’ve heard of 3 situations, from friends of friends, but in all the cases the person was a complete mess before getting Covid. I just want to get a feel for how many perfectly healthy people end up in ICU, outside of news outlets.
No one healthy. Just received notice my wife’s childhood best friend’s husband was misdiagnosed with “just” pneumonia and passed away this morning. He was terminal with stage 4 pancreatic cancer and had a heart condition at age 54. Upon his death he was tested for COVID19 and was positive.

Upvote 0

Jok

Jul 9, 2019
Indiana
✟42,261.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Engaged
I’m starting to think that this has way more to do with the fragility of hospital systems than the virus itself. If for the sake of argument it is only slightly worse than the Flu, and if it is MUCH more contagious AS THEY HAVE TOLD US, then that could explain the numbers. I mean when have respiratory complication rates ever made the news? I heard someone say that Italy routinely surpasses the national averages for respiratory complication rates by a long shot, however I haven’t looked into it yet so that could be false. If true that would be pretty significant.

Upvote 0

redleghunter

Thank You Jesus!
Supporter
Mar 18, 2014
Texas
✟176,076.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I’m starting to think that this has way more to do with the fragility of hospital systems than the virus itself. If for the sake of argument it is only slightly worse than the Flu, and if it is MUCH more contagious AS THEY HAVE TOLD US, then that could explain the numbers. I mean when have respiratory complication rates ever made the news? I heard someone say that Italy routinely surpasses the national averages for respiratory complication rates by a long shot, however I haven’t looked into it yet so that could be false. If true that would be pretty significant.
Perhaps it would be helpful in your research to look at the H1N1 pandemic and measure the need for ventilators and bed capacity. Then look at why the media hardly mentioned any issues with the hospitals.

• Useful
Upvote 0

Chesterton

Whats So Funny bout Peace Love and Understanding
Supporter
May 24, 2008
Flatland
✟860,379.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
I heard someone say that Italy routinely surpasses the national averages for respiratory complication rates by a long shot, however I haven’t looked into it yet so that could be false. If true that would be pretty significant.
It's strange that Italy and Germany are very close geographically, and last report I heard, the mortality rate for people with the virus in Italy is over 11%, while in Germany it's less than 1%. I wonder what accounts for that.

• Informative
Upvote 0

Jok

Jul 9, 2019
Indiana
✟42,261.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Engaged
My mind wasn’t on downplaying those people who are suffering when I created the thread by the way, I am just running into a lot of perfectly healthy people who seem terrified. That’s the part that I’m starting to think might be very exaggerated. I could of course be wrong if lots of people reply with a fair amount of personal stories where perfectly healthy people wound up in ICUs.

Reactions: IntriKate
Upvote 0

com7fy8

May 22, 2013
Massachusetts
✟583,430.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I have been praying, talked once with a local public health nurse, and I have been reading CDC stuff and updates in the media, listened to a number of newscast public health authorities, and I watched a doctor in a locally produced video. So, below I'm offering my general understanding from all that.
I just want to get a feel for how many perfectly healthy people end up in ICU, outside of news outlets.
I have not heard of anyone near me being infected.

I would say the CDC website could be more reliable than news media.
a lot of perfectly healthy people who seem terrified.
So, they already have been infected > by fear! The coronavirus is not only infecting people's bodies, then.

And I understand that stress is a risk factor, since fear and stress and worry can help break down the immune system. I understand this from my general background of medical and scriptural study.

They say a lot of people can have no or very slight symptoms; but even while they do not have symptoms, they can help to infect other people. So, an infected person who gets by ok could help to kill someone else who does not do so well. And I have been told they are getting more cases which they can not trace to sources of contact. So, among other possibilities, ones with slight symptoms could feel they want to go out and do things, and they know they can cover up the fact they are infected; so they go out and conceal their symptoms; and because of that the health people can not trace COVID-19 cases to sources of contact.

So, instead of being so worried about themselves, they might be more attentive to being careful for the sake of others who are older and have high-risk conditions. It is clear how ones can be incubating the virus and can be contagious for some while before symptoms show . . . if they do. So, instead of fearing, they might concentrate on being careful so they themselves don't spread it unknowingly.

The reports and official websites to me mean that the ones most likely to go into I.C.U. are the high-risk ones like older people and ones with heart and diabetic and cancer and immune and lower respiratory problems.

And I have been told that kids tend not to die, perhaps because they already have immunity because of their colds. This could be because the coronavirus is related to cold viruses.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Hazelelponi

I'm back
Supporter
Jun 25, 2018
USA
✟676,936.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
My mind wasn’t on downplaying those people who are suffering when I created the thread by the way, I am just running into a lot of perfectly healthy people who seem terrified. That’s the part that I’m starting to think might be very exaggerated. I could of course be wrong if lots of people reply with a fair amount of personal stories where perfectly healthy people wound up in ICUs.

I know no one (sick or healthy) that has contracted this novel coronavirus...

But from what I've seen, everyone but a handful of those who died has at least one preexisting condition that doesn't play well with the virus and the largest portion have 3 or more underlying health conditions.

Diabetes, cardiovascular diseases, undergoing cancer treatments people with lowered immune systems etc are all issues this virus doesn't play well with.

I have stage 2 COPD and high blood pressure so I'm in a high risk group, for instance.

But there's not even one case in my entire county, so it's not going around here at all...

Upvote 0

Jok

Jul 9, 2019
Indiana
✟42,261.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Engaged
I have been praying, talked once with a local public health nurse, and I have been reading CDC stuff and updates in the media, listened to a number of newscast public health authorities, and I watched a doctor in a locally produced video. So, below I'm offering my general understanding from all that.
I have not heard of anyone near me being infected.

I would say the CDC website could be more reliable than news media.
So, they already have been infected > by fear! The coronavirus is not only infecting people's bodies, then.

And I understand that stress is a risk factor, since fear and stress and worry can help break down the immune system. I understand this from my general background of medical and scriptural study.

They say a lot of people can have no or very slight symptoms; but even while they do not have symptoms, they can help to infect other people. So, an infected person who gets by ok could help to kill someone else who does not do so well. And I have been told they are getting more cases which they can not trace to sources of contact. So, among other possibilities, ones with slight symptoms could feel they want to go out and do things, and they know they can cover up the fact they are infected; so they go out and conceal their symptoms; and because of that the health people can not trace COVID-19 cases to sources of contact.

So, instead of being so worried about themselves, they might be more attentive to being careful for the sake of others who are older and have high-risk conditions. It is clear how ones can be incubating the virus and can be contagious for some while before symptoms show . . . if they do. So, instead of fearing, they might concentrate on being careful so they themselves don't spread it unknowingly.

The reports and official websites to me mean that the ones most likely to go into I.C.U. are the high-risk ones like older people and ones with heart and diabetic and cancer and immune and lower respiratory problems.

And I have been told that kids tend not to die, perhaps because they already have immunity because of their colds. This could be because the coronavirus is related to cold viruses.
Yes I‘m always stopping short if I have to talk to someone, but many times they come too far into me and talk too closely. I’m not initiating, but I haven’t been backing off either when people get close. I recently started to get a little more distance cautious with these people though, not for fear for myself but in case I have to be close to more vulnerable people later on.

But I do see a lot of perfectly healthy people terrified for themselves! Part of me wants to catch it, beat it, and donate my antibodies if that treatment becomes more promising.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Richard T

Mar 25, 2018
traveling Asia
✟61,346.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
I know no one (sick or healthy) that has contracted this novel coronavirus...

But from what I've seen, everyone but a handful of those who died has at least one preexisting condition that doesn't play well with the virus and the largest portion have 3 or more underlying health conditions.

Diabetes, cardiovascular diseases, undergoing cancer treatments people with lowered immune systems etc are all issues this virus doesn't play well with.

I have stage 2 COPD and high blood pressure so I'm in a high risk group, for instance.

But there's not even one case in my entire county, so it's not going around here at all...
Most likely it is around your county, either asymptomatic people with it or milder cases that either can't get tested or where the person is not sick enough to care.

• Agree
Reactions: Heavenhome
Upvote 0

Jonathan Walkerin

Feb 12, 2019
Stockholm
✟72,396.00
Country
Sweden
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
It's strange that Italy and Germany are very close geographically, and last report I heard, the mortality rate for people with the virus in Italy is over 11%, while in Germany it's less than 1%. I wonder what accounts for that.

Bit like US and Mexico are very close geographically but in case of large number of people needing medical care in hospitals you would probably opt to get your services in US Instead of Mexico ?

Upvote 0

Bob Crowley

Supporter
Dec 27, 2015
Logan City
✟747,316.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

com7fy8

May 22, 2013
Massachusetts
✟583,430.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Part of me wants to catch it, beat it, and donate my antibodies if that treatment becomes more promising.
They say it could take more than a year, even from now, they could mean (March 30, 2020), to produce a vaccine. So, in that amount of time, it seems this virus is capable of infecting the whole population of more than three hundred million Americans, even pretty much the whole world. That could take out at least one percent . . . at least three million people in the United States alone.

But there is what is called "herd immunity", which I personally understand means that lots of people have gotten the sickness and are immune to it, and therefore it is harder for the germ of a sickness to find people to infect. Maybe it is like how a cantankerous person can't start an argument in the house of a family where everyone has learned how to communicate and be kind to one another.

And . . . even if the germ does get started in one individual, most people around that person can't catch it because they have already gotten it. And so it can not spread, like it could if no one else has had it.

And so, in herd immunity, the vulnerable people can have a cushion of immune ones around them, to keep them from being exposed to the germ.

So, I have considered how all the healthy younger people could hold a giant "sick-in" for one day, where we all would make sure we got infected and then all in one week or so we would get our COVID-19 done with, while we quarantine ourselves. And then none of us could help to spread the virus to seniors and ones with medical issues that make them able to die or suffer very greatly because of the coronavirus.

But you would have to control so many people, so that only the healthy ones got infected; plus, that would take most police and soldiers and younger business and political people and medical workers and others out of functioning to keep the country going. :doh:

So . . . yeah . . . why not have selected ones get sick, but under control . . . so we could pass on our plasma with antibodies to ones at risk of dying?

But you would not want to get yourself exposed and then spend some time going out and doing things. Because - - for some time before symptoms start . . . already you can be infecting others. So, if you infected yourself on purpose, in order to save lives with your plasma, you could pass on the germ, before you pass on your plasma, and that germ could go on to kill some people.

S:sigh:rry; but we are helping, by not getting it and therefore not helping to spread it, and by doing things so we do not spread it with our hands. By helping to slow the spread, like this, each of us is helping the medical people to not have so many people to treat, all at once.

So, may be we could say this is a good time to be good at doing nothing :)

But, if I remember right, already various people who have recovered are begging medical people to use their plasma. Even so, each infusion works only for so long; it helps, they seem to be saying, but it isn't sustainable like the person having one's own immunity. What I personally understand, from how I understand my biological and medical education, is that possibly the donated antibodies attach to viruses and get destroyed along with the viruses which get taken out of action; so a patient can need more than one plasma infusion with someone else's antibodies. But then the patient can recover; so if it works, fine, I would say.

Upvote 0

Hazelelponi

I'm back
Supporter
Jun 25, 2018
USA
✟676,936.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Most likely it is around your county, either asymptomatic people with it or milder cases that either can't get tested or where the person is not sick enough to care.

I'm really glad you think you know my county better than its residents and health care providers, but I can assure you they are testing everyone with a fever and have zero cases of this virus here.

Upvote 0

Jonathan Walkerin

Feb 12, 2019
Stockholm
✟72,396.00
Country
Sweden
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
But there is what is called "herd immunity", which I personally understand means that lots of people have gotten the sickness and are immune to it, and therefore it is harder for the germ of a sickness to find people to infect.

That is basically what vaccines provide but as we know we have no vaccine for covid19 yet.

Even without the vaccine the herd immunity will kick in when enough people have gotten infected and recovered but this does not really help in current situation.

It might be of some help if there are consecutive waves of infection but even then it probably takes at least as long to get a natural herd immunity on any meaningful decree than it does to develop, test and distribute a working vaccine.

Upvote 0

com7fy8

May 22, 2013
Massachusetts
✟583,430.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
it probably takes at least as long to get a natural herd immunity
Thank you :) I did not think of this.

There can be a problem with vaccination and even herd immunity > the virus in the vaccine might stimulate immunity against itself. But meanwhile, the virus in the population can be changing so it more or less won't be recognized by the vaccinated people's immune system.

Another item, by the way > here is something I read, if I understood this correctly >

Even in producing the vaccine, the virus used for vaccine culture can change and alter itself, right while it is being grown in the media; and then it is different than the virus getting people sick, so it might not cause an effective immune reaction against the virus that is getting people sick. If I remember correctly, they already found out that coronavirus was altering itself, like this, in egg medium; so already they have needed to use a different culturing medium.

So, in case anyone feels the people are not making an effort . . . we might consider this sort of a thing :)

Upvote 0

dogs4thewin

dog lover
Christian Forums Staff
Hands-on Trainee
CF Ambassadors
Supporter
Apr 19, 2012
Georgia U.S. State
✟887,500.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
No one healthy. Just received notice my wife’s childhood best friend’s husband was misdiagnosed with “just” pneumonia and passed away this morning. He was terminal with stage 4 pancreatic cancer and had a heart condition at age 54. Upon his death he was tested for COVID19 and was positive.
so in that case it is a bit hard to tell when someone is terminal like that how much longer he or she would have lasted without the virus. In other words how big, if any role the virus played in his death.

Upvote 0