Does anyone know how to use BDAG, the book version?

Emin

Nov 11, 2022
Los Angeles
✟15,435.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Can someone help me with how to use the BDAG, the book version?

I am new to this and do not know much about how this works. I have experience in Strong's, which is easy to use.

But for BDAG I feel like you have to know Greek to be able to use it. It does not have English-first words, it does not have Strong numbers, which makes it hard to find words and look for their meaning.

For example, I want to learn more about the meaning of the word "hath translated" KJV Strong's G3179. Since the BDAG starts with the Greek language, and I don't know any Greek I can not look up the word μεθίστημι in it.

I looked at this video
which shows how to use the computer version of this book, which is very easy, you click on the word and it shows you the word... but it is very hard with the book version.

Since I have the book version I don't want to spend on the software + the digital book.

Does anyone know or can help me learn how to find words in BDAG book version?

Thanks and God bless!

Emin

Nov 11, 2022
Los Angeles
✟15,435.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
If it’s like a lexicon just go to the first letter, mu, like a dictionary.
Thanks for the replay... but those letters are in Greek, and i don't understand Greek. Let's say I find the first letter by looking at it visually, then i have to find the 2nd, 3rd, etc... just comparing them visually since i can't read Greek. Most of the time this does not work at all, sometimes it takes a long time to find a word. I thought there must be a different way of using this book that I am missing and need to learn. that is why i posted the question. to see what I am doing wrong.

Upvote 0

Unqualified

243 God loves me
Site Supporter
Aug 17, 2020
West of Mississippi
✟417,360.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Well if it’s a book like a dictionary, that’s how you do it. If you are new to Greek you will familiarize yourself by doing it. It’s a good thing to memorize the Greek alphabet. Sorry. I had a beginning Greek book to learn the basics. So interesting…. It will probably give some word endings, if a verb or noun or adjective, etc. what does BDAG mean?

Upvote 0

Der Alte

This is me about 1 yr. old.
Site Supporter
Aug 21, 2003
EST
✟993,185.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Can someone help me with how to use the BDAG, the book version?

I am new to this and do not know much about how this works. I have experience in Strong's, which is easy to use.

But for BDAG I feel like you have to know Greek to be able to use it. It does not have English-first words, it does not have Strong numbers, which makes it hard to find words and look for their meaning.

For example, I want to learn more about the meaning of the word "hath translated" KJV Strong's G3179. Since the BDAG starts with the Greek language, and I don't know any Greek I can not look up the word μεθίστημι in it.

I looked at this video
which shows how to use the computer version of this book, which is very easy, you click on the word and it shows you the word... but it is very hard with the book version.

Since I have the book version I don't want to spend on the software + the digital book.

Does anyone know or can help me learn how to find words in BDAG book version?

Thanks and God bless!
I googled Strong's G3179

Global web icon

blueletterbible.org
G3179 -Mesthemi - Strong's Greek Lexicon (kjv)
Strong's Number G3179 matches the Greek μεθίστημι ( methistēmi ), which occurs 5 times in 5 verses in the TR Greek. View OT results in the LXX Greek concordance View NT results in the MGNT Greek concordance Tools Luk 16:4 I am resolved what to do, that, when I am put out G3179 of the stewardship, they may receive me into their houses.

Upvote 0

GDL

Jul 25, 2020
SE
✟105,387.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
You've probably figured out that the video is showing software from Logos.

I don't know of any internet versions of BDAG. There are other Greek Lexicons in use on free sites. @Der Alte showed the Blue Letter Bible site. Here's a link to methistēmi
It links to the Thayer's Greek Lexicon as well as Vine's Dictionary and it does show the English transliteration of the Greek word and provides an audible pronunciation.​
Here's another site. I've linked you to the page for the Greek letter transliterated as "m". If you scroll down near the bottom looking at the left column, you'll find "Methistemi". With a little work in the Greek alphabet, and using tools like this, learning to at least read the Greek word will get you around in your BDAG book.

Greek Lexicons like BDAG, Thayer's, Liddell-Scott, etc., are just that - they're Greek tools. Definitions are in English but the Greek word and much of the reference data is in Greek, so you'll at least need to learn the Greek alphabet to find words in them or use these digital tools for the ones that are public domain.

Here's what BDAG, Liddell-Scott, and Louw-Nida look like for methistēmi:

Bauer-Danker, Greek-English Lexicon of the NT (BDAG)

[BDAG] μεθίστημι
• μεθίστημι (s. ἵστημι) by-form μεθιστάνω (Hv 1, 3, 4; 1 Cor 13:2 v.l.) fut. μεταστήσω LXX; 1 aor. μετέστησα; 2 aor. μετέστην LXX. Pass.: aor. μετεστάθην; subj. μετασταθῶ (Hom.+; ins, pap, LXX, TestSol; TestAbr A 20 p. 103, 8 [Stone p. 54]; TestIss 1:13; Joseph.)

1. transfer from one place to another, remove

a. of things τὶ someth. ὄρη 1 Cor 13:2 (Is 54:10). Heavens, mountains, hills, seas Hv 1, 3, 4. (ἡμᾶς) μετέστησεν εἰς τὴν βασιλείαν (God) transferred us to the kingdom Col 1:13 (cp. Jos., Ant. 9, 235 μ. εἰς τ. αὑτοῦ βασιλείαν.—μ. εἰς=‘transplant into’ also Alex. Aphr., Mixt. II 2 p. 219, 28; 230, 29; cp. τὸ μεταστῆναι ἀπὸ τῶν ὁρατῶν ἐπὶ τὰ ἀόρατα as a description of ἔκστασις Did., Gen. 230, 9).

b. of persons remove, depose (3 Km 15:13; 1 Macc 11:63; Jos., Ant. 19, 297; 20, 16) τινὰ ἀπὸ τοῦ τόπου remove someone from his place 1 Cl 44:5. Pass. be removed ὅταν μετασταθῶ ἐκ τ. οἰκονομίας when I am discharged fr. my position as manager Lk 16:4 (Vi. Aesopi G 9 μεταστήσω σε τῆς οἰκονομίας=I will remove you from your position as steward.—μ. ἐκ as Jos., Vi. 195).—This is prob. also the place for Ac 13:22 μεταστήσας αὐτόν after he had removed him (fr. the throne; cp. Da 2:21). The expr. in its fullest form, μ. τινὰ ἐκ τοῦ ζῆν ‘put someone to death’ (Diod. S. 2, 57, 5; 4, 55, 1; cp. 3 Macc 6:12), scarcely seems applicable here.

2. to bring to a different point of view, turn away, mislead, also in an unfavorable sense, fig. ext. of 1 (X., Hell. 2, 2, 5; Plut., Galba 1059 [14, 3] τοὺς πλείους μετέστησαν; Josh 14:8) ἱκανὸν ὄχλον Ac 19:26.—DELG s.v. ἵστημι. M-M.

[BDAG] μεθιστάνω
• μεθιστάνω s. next entry.

[LS] μεθίστημι
μεθ-ίστημι: A. Causal, in pres. and impf., fut. and aor. i, to place in another way, to change, μεταστήσω τοι ταῦτα I will give thee another present instead of this, Od.; μ. τὰ νόμιμα πάντα Hdt.; ὄνομα etc., Eur. 2. c. gen. partit., οὐ μεθίστησι τοῦ χρώματος he changes nothing of his colour, Ar. II. of persons, to set free, νόσου from disease, Soph.; κακῶν, ὕπνου Eur. 2. to remove, Id., Thuc.:-so in aor. i med., μεταστήσασθαι to remove from oneself or from one's presence, Hdt., Thuc., etc. B. Pass., aor. i μετεστάθην [α±], with aor. 2, pf., and plqpf. act.: I. to stand among or in the midst of, ἑτάροισι μεθίστατο Il. 2. to change one's position, remove, depart, Hdt., Att.; μ. τυράννοις ἐκπόδων to make way for them, Eur. 3. c. gen. rei, to change or cease from, κότου Aesch.; λύπης, κακῶν Eur.; μ. βίου to die, Id.; μ. φρενῶν to gomad, Id. 4. to go over to another party, to revolt, Thuc. II. of things, to change, alter, sometimes for the better, τῆς τύχης εὖ μετεστεώσης Hdt.; or for the worse, δαίμων μεθέστηκε στρατῷ fortune hath changed for the army, Aesch.

[LN] μεθίστημι (aor μετέστησα ptc μεταστήσας aor pass subj μετασταθῶ) (a) cause to move 15.9 (b) cause change 13.64 (c) mislead 31.73

[LN] μεθιστάνω see μεθίστημι

There may well be more and better sites. I'm not normally a user of them. I have Logos and another software system I've been using for decades. The above was copied from that system. Take some Greek language instruction. It's well worth the time.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Der Alte

Site Supporter
Aug 21, 2003
EST
✟993,185.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Upvote 0

GDL

Jul 25, 2020
SE
✟105,387.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Upvote 0

Der Alte

Site Supporter
Aug 21, 2003
EST
✟993,185.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Thank you! Yes, I knew it as BAGD. Switching was confusing for a while. It looks like I may need a font I don't have??? Back to my expensive software...
You don't need a new font. What you see is what you get. It does not reproduce the Greek. That is the only link to BAGD I know of.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Der Alte

Site Supporter
Aug 21, 2003
EST
✟993,185.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status