Does Anyone Here Post in Atheist Forums?

CDF47

Aug 7, 2017
Macomb Twp
✟58,605.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I've tried a few times and gave up. They act like they want answers but all they really want is to start an endless debate that circles around and around forever. To them its just a game. Sadly when they die they will realize we weren't looking to play a game, but to save them instead. Now its in Gods hands.

With that said if I personally owned these forums I would ban any non-christian who wasn't here looking for legit answers or curious. Which probably would be most of them banned.

I found the same thing with the endless circle of debate. They do treat it like some comical game. It's a bit disturbing actually. I pray for them though, that they repent and find Christ.

Upvote 0

Foxfyre

Site Supporter
May 1, 2017
New Mexico
✟233,566.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Being a Christian in a atheist forum is like being a Jew in a nazi Concentration camp.. This scene from a good movie came to my mind when i was thinking about my time in an atheist forum..

There are Jewish internet groups that are none too hospitable toward non Jews too, and that is probably because so many trolls and mean spirited types entertain themselves stirring up trouble on such sites.

One time I was teaching a class and it was mentioned that for the Jews, the Sabbath began when the sun set. And the question came up as to how, without benefit of clocks or watches, how did the Jews know when sundown occurred on a cloudy day? I didn't have a clue.

So I decided to go straight to the source for the answer.

I visited several Jewish chat rooms on AOL and politely asked my question, but no matter how I explained it and how carefully I worded my question, I was seen as a troll and was berated and personally attacked until I left.

At least one person perceived that I was on the level and private messaged me. I gratefully thanked him and assured him I was not a troll and not antisemite nor any kind of critic, and I really did want the answer to my question for a class I was teaching.

His answer still brings a smile to my face. He said in all honesty, the sun not withstanding, the Sabbath begins when dinner goes on the table. :)

Upvote 0

CDF47

Aug 7, 2017
Macomb Twp
✟58,605.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
There are Jewish internet groups that are none too hospitable toward non Jews too, and that is probably because so many trolls and mean spirited types entertain themselves stirring up trouble on such sites.

One time I was teaching a class and it was mentioned that for the Jews, the Sabbath began when the sun set. And the question came up as to how, without benefit of clocks or watches, how did the Jews know when sundown occurred on a cloudy day? I didn't have a clue.

So I decided to go straight to the source for the answer.

I visited several Jewish chat rooms on AOL and politely asked my question, but no matter how I explained it and how carefully I worded my question, I was seen as a troll and was berated and personally attacked until I left.

At least one person perceived that I was on the level and private messaged me. I gratefully thanked him and assured him I was not a troll and not antisemite nor any kind of critic, and I really did want the answer to my question for a class I was teaching.

His answer still brings a smile to my face. He said in all honesty, the sun not withstanding, the Sabbath begins when dinner goes on the table. :)

LOL...That makes sense if they time it right.

• Haha
Reactions: Foxfyre
Upvote 0

~Anastasia~

† Handmaid of God †
Dec 1, 2013
Florida panhandle, USA
✟922,775.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
I don't bother trolling Atheist forums, but I've had very good discussions with atheists in other places. I treat them with dignity and respect, and usually rebuke them (or st least express my disappointment with them) if they fail to do the same.

I've had good results and fruitful conversation. They are often more open to what is right (in their eyes) in Christianity, and respond well to exploration of our common ground.

I never try to argue anyone into agreeing. That doesn't work, IMO. People tend to shut their ears to anything that begins with telling them how wrong they are.

But since you asked in Traditional Theology, I will also add that the Traditional view of God, man, sin, the fall, restoration, salvation, etc. ... tends to be something they can more easily relate to and make sense of. They often already have a charicature of modern Christianity in their minds that causes anything along those lines to just reinforce their prejuduces and push them further away.

This is what I've seen, while I've been watching over the past few years.

You want to be as far away as possible from the presentation of the ones who hold up signs and simply yell at everyone that they are going to hell. (A sin, in fact, as it is not our place to judge, especially people we don't know at all.)

Reactions: All4Christ
Upvote 0

Foxfyre

Site Supporter
May 1, 2017
New Mexico
✟233,566.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
LOL...That makes sense if they time it right.

Or even if they don't. Those who try to obey what they believe God requires of them generally understand that they are okay if they follow the general spirit of the concept. :)

• Agree
Reactions: CDF47
Upvote 0

Foxfyre

Site Supporter
May 1, 2017
New Mexico
✟233,566.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I don't bother trolling Atheist forums, but I've had very good discussions with atheists in other places. I treat them with dignity and respect, and usually rebuke them (or st least express my disappointment with them) if they fail to do the same.

I've had good results and fruitful conversation. They are often more open to what is right (in their eyes) in Christianity, and respond well to exploration of our common ground.

I never try to argue anyone into agreeing. That doesn't work, IMO. People tend to shut their ears to anything that begins with telling them how wrong they are.

But since you asked in Traditional Theology, I will also add that the Traditional view of God, man, sin, the fall, restoration, salvation, etc. ... tends to be something they can more easily relate to and make sense of. They often already have a charicature of modern Christianity in their minds that causes anything along those lines to just reinforce their prejuduces and push them further away.

You want to be as far away as possible from the presentation of the ones who hold up signs and simply yell at everyone that they are going to hell. (A sin, in fact, as it is not our place to judge, especially people we don't know at all.)

I too have non believing friends and acquaintances on message boards and in real life that I thoroughly enjoy and we get along just fine. They allow me my faith and I allow them their non belief. (Maybe it is wishful thinking that I think they are more curious about my belief than I am their non belief. :) )

At any rate, the surest way to disgust and push away a non believer is by telling him how wrong he/she is. None of us respond favorably to that approach either. I can't imagine that many, if any, are persuaded by being told they are going to hell, and I agree with you that we sin when we tell them that.

I wonder how many have failed to know Jesus Christ because of the arrogant or self-righteous or otherwise unattractive way he was introduced to them?

Upvote 0

CDF47

Aug 7, 2017
Macomb Twp
✟58,605.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

I try to use logic and Intelligent Design, as well as the Word of God but in the forums it is like talking to a brick wall for me. In real life it seems to work better. I never troll any site but try to have truthful logical discussions.

Upvote 0

CDF47

Aug 7, 2017
Macomb Twp
✟58,605.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I too have non believing friends and acquaintances on message boards and in real life that I thoroughly enjoy and we get along just fine. They allow me my faith and I allow them their non belief. (Maybe it is wishful thinking that I think they are more curious about my belief than I am their non belief. :) )

At any rate, the surest way to disgust and push away a non believer is by telling him how wrong he/she is. None of us respond favorably to that approach either. I can't imagine that many, if any, are persuaded by being told they are going to hell, and I agree with you that we sin when we tell them that.

I wonder how many have failed to know Jesus Christ because of the arrogant or self-righteous or otherwise unattractive way he was introduced to them?

I know I never tell them they are going to hell or judge them at all. I just try logical discussion but seem to get no where on the forums. I am amicable with them as I can be.

• Agree
Reactions: Foxfyre
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

~Anastasia~

† Handmaid of God †
Dec 1, 2013
Florida panhandle, USA
✟922,775.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
I try to use logic and Intelligent Design, as well as the Word of God but in the forums it is like talking to a brick wall for me. In real life it seems to work better. I never troll any site but try to have truthful logical discussions.
Years ago (quite a few years ago LOL) I used to try logical arguments. My background was in biological sciences and in attempting to "prove" evolution I actually discovered a number of counter-points. However, no one was ever impressed. They either became stone walls, or else I infuriated them. It just wasn't for me. It's a topic I've found best avoided, even with Christians, except perhaps to discuss spiritual implications.

Upvote 0

~Anastasia~

† Handmaid of God †
Dec 1, 2013
Florida panhandle, USA
✟922,775.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married

This is exactly what concerns me. Furthermore, I wonder what responsility before God we might even bear in such a case.

Upvote 0

Foxfyre

Site Supporter
May 1, 2017
New Mexico
✟233,566.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Years ago (quite a few years ago LOL) I used to try logical arguments. My background was in biological sciences and in attempting to "prove" evolution I actually discovered a number of counter-points. However, no one was ever impressed. They either became stone walls, or else I infuriated them. It just wasn't for me. It's a topic I've found best avoided, even with Christians, except perhaps to discuss spiritual implications.

Or you can discuss that with somebody like me who is Christian, who believes in evolution and teaching it, and who also believes God created it all and there is intelligent design behind it. I think those who share that understanding are probably legion.

Upvote 0

Foxfyre

Site Supporter
May 1, 2017
New Mexico
✟233,566.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
This is exactly what concerns me. Furthermore, I wonder what responsility before God we might even bear in such a case.

I am pretty sure every time it happens, the Spirit is deeply grieved.

• Agree
Upvote 0

CDF47

Aug 7, 2017
Macomb Twp
✟58,605.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

The reason I keep going back is due to the spiritual implications because the counter-points to origins and common ancestry and the fine-tuned universe are just stone walled pretty much like you explain.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

CDF47

Aug 7, 2017
Macomb Twp
✟58,605.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

Well, Jesus had the disciples visit the lost sheep in Israel and if they were accepted they would stay. If they were rejected they would leave. The difference here is there are lurkers on the site that could be persuaded as well as some potential posters which may just be afraid to post due to the majority of atheists bully debate tactics.

• Agree
Reactions: ~Anastasia~
Upvote 0

CDF47

Aug 7, 2017
Macomb Twp
✟58,605.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Or you can discuss that with somebody like me who is Christian, who believes in evolution and teaching it, and who also believes God created it all and there is intelligent design behind it. I think those who share that understanding are probably legion.

Yeah, I let them know I believe in microevolution and Old Earth Creationism just not macroevolution (Darwinian evolution (natural selection acting on random mutations) or common ancestry. Common ancestry has not been proven. I try to show how specific and complex DNA is with short videos and the like and they stone wall that as well. The fine-tuning of the universe has the same affect with them. There are other Christians on there from time to time they said but it seems like they all leave. I am really considering leaving that site myself.

Upvote 0

~Anastasia~

† Handmaid of God †
Dec 1, 2013
Florida panhandle, USA
✟922,775.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Well, Jesus had the disciples visit the lost sheep in Israel and if they were accepted they would stay. If they were rejected they would leave. The difference here is there are lurkers on the site that could be persuaded as well as some potential posters which may just be afraid to post due to the majority of atheists bully debate tactics.
Very much agree. Everywhere we go, there are potential lurkers, people who may read what we say and never interact with us, or even people who may run across our words using Google ten years later. We are always in public, always speaking to a crowd, when we post anywhere online.

Upvote 0

CDF47

Aug 7, 2017
Macomb Twp
✟58,605.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Very much agree. Everywhere we go, there are potential lurkers, people who may read what we say and never interact with us, or even people who may run across our words using Google ten years later. We are always in public, always speaking to a crowd, when we post anywhere online.

Great point. Everywhere we post is important. That's why I have been sticking through the craziness of the atheist forum although I'm not sure I will be doing that much longer. I much more enjoy speaking to the people on this Christian forum. It is difficult posting in the atheist forum.

Upvote 0