Does anyone here know of any Africian American Saints?

Gxg (G²)

Pilgrim/Monastic on the Road to God (Psalm 84:1-7)
Site Supporter
Jan 25, 2009
Good Ol' South...
Visit site
✟160,220.00
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
To anyone concerned,

My younger sister---who attends Catholic Schools as I did when I was younger---was given a project that involved doing research on a saint that they enjoyed and bringing that back for discussion. As the project is for those in 1st grade, the requirements were simple...but it was interesting to see how much of a struggle it was to find those who were Hispanic or African-Amerian saints. If anyone has any information on the issue, I'd appreciate it. Its not to say, of course, that saints that are not "colored" are less appreciated...but to find those saints within the Catholic church that are so is very significant---especially when the girl doing the project is one of the only black girls in a predominately white school. Shalom

gabrielListens

eagles fly alone
Apr 12, 2006
Chino Hills, Calif.
✟17,401.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
St. Maurice (also Morris, Moritz, Mauritius,) is a very well-known saint. He was the leader of a christian Roman Legion and a martyr. He was also "african-american" (I really wish that title wasn't so popular because it makes it sound like all dark-skinned people are from africa).

Here is a website with his story:
The Roman Theban Legion - All Martyred in 286 A.D.

Upvote 0

Virgil the Roman

Young Fogey & Monarchist-Distributist . . .
Jan 14, 2006
Kentucky
✟64,604.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-American-Solidarity
st_moses_3_trim_1200.jpg

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Gxg (G²)

Site Supporter
Jan 25, 2009
Good Ol' South...
Visit site
✟160,220.00
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
Martin de Porres, Benedict the Black, Augustine of Hippo
Though I'm thankful for the others you brought up, its interesting to see that you brought up Augustine of Hippo. For I've often seen it in many circles that he's always portrayed as a European man with pale skin/black hair....and in some places, one would get hassled if even daring to say he was black

Upvote 0

Gxg (G²)

Site Supporter
Jan 25, 2009
Good Ol' South...
Visit site
✟160,220.00
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
St Martin de Porres, all depending on how you defined 'black' (biracial) or 'American' South America) though.

I was confirmed in his name.
Indeed. The entire issue of how you define "black" can make a world of difference. As a Black Hispanic myself (for my mother was from Panama), its amazing to see how much harrassment I've seen with other Black Hispanics in the Americas due to their skin color and others assuming that there can never be any such thing as a dark-colored Hispanic in Latin America...or parts of the West Indies, for that matter.

Thank you for bringing up St. Martin de Porres

Upvote 0

JoabAnias

Steward of proportionality- I Cor 13:1, 1 Tim 3:15
Site Supporter
Nov 26, 2007
✟82,874.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Easy G (G²);56062860 said:
Though I'm thankful for the others you brought up, its interesting to see that you brought up Augustine of Hippo. For I've often seen it in many circles that he's always portrayed as a European man with pale skin/black hair....and in some places, one would get hassled if even daring to say he was black

He is my second patron and I have never seen him portrayed as you describe. Where are these places you mention?

If your sister used him as a saint for her paper there would be a wealth of information about him from both his life and his many works.

CHURCH FATHERS: Home

I suppose she could include St. Monica - his mother, as well.

Even wiki has detailed info on his life right down to his sons name.

He is an amazing saint. His "Confessions" has never been out of print.

Upvote 0

Gxg (G²)

Site Supporter
Jan 25, 2009
Good Ol' South...
Visit site
✟160,220.00
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others

St.Moses the Black is indeed a dynamic figure. I found out that there's an entire fellowship dedicated to him..as seen in the Brotherhood of St Moses the Black...though that group is specifically for Orthdoxy/consider him to be a saint fitting more so with their own circles. Nevertheless, I was glad to be able to find out from them about others who were African Saints...and if its the case that both Orthodoxy and Catholicism consider most (if not all) of those saints to be on both of their sides respectively, cool.

Upvote 0

Gxg (G²)

Site Supporter
Jan 25, 2009
Good Ol' South...
Visit site
✟160,220.00
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
He is my second patron and I have never seen him portrayed as you describe. .
Interesting, as I've seen it often.

Some pictures that immediately come to mind:

703.jpg

augustine-of-hippo.jpg

st_augustine_of_hippo_holy_card_001_business_card-p240413470970094939qrb9_400.jpg

\​

augustine-of-hippo.jpg

The era of the Renaissance may've changed many things when it came to depicting him as white. Of course, some of the descriptions are perhaps no more different than how it was in many places when Jesus was portrayed as European (i.e. blond hair and blue eyes) due to ethocentric views and interpretation. It the same thing I've often seen in History books when it came to historical figures. I'm reminded of what happened once when I and my friend went to the store of an Ethopian Orthodox brother...as he had a picture showing the accomplishments of Blacks in History. At one point, I noticed a picture of Hannibal with dark coloration...and it tripped me out since in the history books our school used, he was always seen as being Caucasian.

Going back/studying, however, I did find out that it was indeed the case that Hannibal (being from the African nation of Carthage) could've been of dark coloration....and that but for luck/fate, it would've possibly been descriptions of great figures as solely being of Dark Coloration if Carthage had won instead of Rome. I was also shocled to witness others saying how much of the Early Church Fathers were black (Augustine of Hippo, in example). I was shocked when seeing some of the pictures of him---as I always assumed he was white..but then again, when considering the reality/pictures, its not surprising:

St.-Augustine-of-Hippo.jpg

The same thing goes for others such Simon of Cyrene (Luke 23:25-27 ), Solomon and a host of others.

Different cultures will "culturalize" historical figures. They even do this with the Lord Jesus, as the west makes Him white whereas African Sahara show him black. Is this bad? Not necessarily, though its not always fact. But imagine, say, a white plantation owner in 1820 being presented the Gospel of Christ with pictures of a black Jesus. He probably wouldn't accept the gift

If your sister used him as a saint for her paper there would be a wealth of information about him from both his life and his many works.

CHURCH FATHERS: Home

I suppose she could include St. Monica - his mother, as well.

Even wiki has detailed info on his life right down to his sons name.

He is an amazing saint. His "Confessions" has never been out of print
I'm aware of the works of him and have read many, especially the one he did on the subject of Genesis...for the man had a brilliant mind when it came to the sciences and Biblical interpretation. But on the issue of his portrayal, it used to throw me off since in the schools I grew up in, he was never portrayed as African....specifically, with dark coloration. And I know there are other Catholics who've raised similar concerns

For a good read:

And of course, apart from that, there's also the female side of things that could be beneficial if they allow her to go there. I'm still tripped out seeing the Black Madonna of Częstochowa :

Black-Madonna-and-Son-34254207717_xlarge.jpeg

Black%20Madonna%20Mother%20of%20Godhr.jpg

Florenski-Black-Madonna-of-Czestochowska-icon.jpg

BlackMadonna_8.jpg

That said, although ancient history does show many instances of it not being problematic to depict the Lord or the Hebrews as being of darker complexion, to argue that ALL of the Hebrew people had to black is overstating a case...and ignoring the ways there was much diversity in the Jewish world. If it's about accuracy on facts/presentation, that's one thing. However, it can come off differently when avoiding dealing with the ways Jewish people have always been of differing backgrounds for a long time.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Gxg (G²)

Site Supporter
Jan 25, 2009
Good Ol' South...
Visit site
✟160,220.00
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
Pierre Toussaint and African American Slave, was declared venerable by Pope John Paul II, in 1996.

I'm surprised he hasn't been canonized by now.

Jim
I'm curious to know why its the case that he hasn't been canonized now as well. Thanks for the info

Upvote 0

Catherineanne

Sep 1, 2004
Europe
✟76,860.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Widowed
The only comment I would make on this thread is that the OP asked for African American. Not all African saints qualify as African Americans, particularly not those who date from before the New World was discovered. It may be that in the US the term 'African American' is used to denote 'black.' It is a mistake to therefore use the same term for all black people.

Therefore, although it is interesting to speculate on the colour of Augustine of Hippo (who was not of African heritage, but of Greek extraction, living in North Africa as far as I am aware, indicating mediterranean appearance; olive skin), this really has little relevance to the question posed.

Upvote 0

Gxg (G²)

Site Supporter
Jan 25, 2009
Good Ol' South...
Visit site
✟160,220.00
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
St. Maurice (also Morris, Moritz, Mauritius,) is a very well-known saint. He was the leader of a christian Roman Legion and a martyr. He was also "african-american" (I really wish that title wasn't so popular because it makes it sound like all dark-skinned people are from africa).

Here is a website with his story:
The Roman Theban Legion - All Martyred in 286 A.D.
Thanks for the info....and to note, I probably should have clarified that African-American is probably not the best description for what I'm looking for....seeing that my sister and I are both Black Hispanics, with it being the case that those who are black in the U.S. are generally labeled as being apart of African American culture in one way or another. Of course I'm not for the mindset that all dark-skinned people are from Africa....though I am of the mindset that many dark-skinned peoples in the West Indies and the Americas came over due to what was occurring with Africa, such as with the TransAtlantic slave trade and the Middle Passage.

As it concerns "African-American" culture, its truly a very diverse thing. From those that are immigrants from African to others who are biracial and African American Indians to those that are Black Hispanics, it is very diverse...and many times, the diversities get lost (or confused) due to others thinking African American culture is solely what's depicted on BET or what Jessie Jackson says.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Gxg (G²)

Site Supporter
Jan 25, 2009
Good Ol' South...
Visit site
✟160,220.00
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
Upvote 0