Surrey
✟15,561.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Re: Liberal Christianity/ catholicism(if such a thing really exists)

Want to consume some podcasts, audiobooks and what not on christianity in the liberal sense. Anything thats positive anyway.

Im a lapsed catholic thats lived a messy life that im trying to recover from. I wanna build myself up with positive messages and healing prayer if possible. IDK i think the strict view of catholic growing up in catholic schools put me off rather then let me find a closer connection to God, But at the same time my rebellion ended with me becoming schizophrenic. So i think a middle way is needed between a conservative christianity and more liberal form. I mean the message im getting from the bible is god is love, god forgives us sinners if we truly repent are ways and to live by conviction of god rather then self condemnation. Idk in my world i think Jesus would want more universal compassion towards each other then what we seem to give each other in this day and age.

I do believe the bible on the whole gives a good sense of morality, though i may not agree with totally everything.

I still do want to go to a church again at some point. But idk how, when or even sometimes why. If god is all knowing then he would see me, and say oh that guy is truly sorry for living a messy life and is trying to make amends in my eyes and is a child of god. Might check out different churches at some point. Once covid 19 has gone away.

IDK still want to pray daily out of a variety of catholic prayer books and incorporate some common worship practices from anglican forms of daily prayer. Like quiet time.

Anyway any audiobooks on scribd people can reccomend or podcasts or such would be welcome remain open minded about different forms of the faith etc.

Amittai

baggage apostate
Aug 20, 2006
✟41,180.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
If sound, all written and listened-to forms can be beneficial. Please make sure your loyalty is not to an organisation, figurehead, sacrament, aesthetics or sentiment.

Why not cut across your earlier instincts, read the Anglican prayer book and include URC videos/audios in among your "portfolio".

(I used to use an Anglican prayer book and have known solid URCs)

Upvote 0

com7fy8

May 22, 2013
Massachusetts
✟586,471.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
my rebellion ended with me becoming schizophrenic.
And with God, His peace can take care of your mind > Philippians 4:6-7, Matthew 11:28-30.

god is love, god forgives us sinners if we truly repent are ways and to live by conviction of god rather then self condemnation.
Yes, criticize what is wrong, but for our own good, not to punish and guilt-trip ourselves! There are things which help us to be weak so we can get in trouble inside ourselves. God knows what is not in His love; so He says no to these things.

But, also, we need to trust in Jesus and discover how He has us living and loving, "and you will find rest for your souls." (in Matthew 11:28-30)

In my personal experience, I keep finding how better I can love while I am not giving in to selfish stuff. In my case, I can give in to immoral stuff in my imagination and self-righteous criticizing and imagining controlling people who are a problem for me . . . instead, I need to first care in prayer with hope for any and all people, and stay humble in sharing with Jesus.

i think Jesus would want more universal compassion towards each other then what we seem to give each other in this day and age.
Jesus did so suffer and die with hope for any and all evil people. So, yes Jesus has compassion for us; but He at the same time was condemning sin, while He was on the cross. We need to see our wrong ways, but we can use our own failures to help us feel for other people who have sin problems >

"He can have compassion on those who are ignorant and going astray, since he himself is also subject to weakness." (Hebrews 5:2)

I need to have compassion for people. Their weakness for wrong pleasure and for unforgiveness and for using people is also weakness making us able to keep on deeply suffering and staying hurt.

I do believe the bible on the whole gives a good sense of morality,
Feed on the Beatitudes. I now see how they are about character . . . not only moral behavior. The character of God's love makes us immune against sin-sick stuff in us, plus God's love has us in tender and sharing family affection with God and each other. Each Beatitude can help to feed us how to become and love.

Upvote 0
Apr 17, 2020
Surrey
✟15,561.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Ah k im waiting for my common prayer book to come though have access to the church of english apps to, been using it daily. Is their many urc videos and audios around ill do a search on youtube and spotify podcasts in a sec. see where my heart lays.

Ill do more research on URC and anglican. Though as you say loyalty should be towards God not a specific church or such.

Will do some more searching. Cheers

Thank you com for your reply, posted the above before i read that post. It was a nice read.

Idk if i like the Calvinist view of preelected selection to heaven and no free will. I think i need some time to figure things out.

I shall still pray in my own ways. And continue to read the bible but man alive so many paths of christianity its quite confusing.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Aussie Pete

Site Supporter
Aug 14, 2019
Frankston
Visit site
✟727,630.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Divorced
Re: Liberal Christianity/ catholicism(if such a thing really exists)

Want to consume some podcasts, audiobooks and what not on christianity in the liberal sense. Anything thats positive anyway.

Im a lapsed catholic thats lived a messy life that im trying to recover from. I wanna build myself up with positive messages and healing prayer if possible. IDK i think the strict view of catholic growing up in catholic schools put me off rather then let me find a closer connection to God, But at the same time my rebellion ended with me becoming schizophrenic. So i think a middle way is needed between a conservative christianity and more liberal form. I mean the message im getting from the bible is god is love, god forgives us sinners if we truly repent are ways and to live by conviction of god rather then self condemnation. Idk in my world i think Jesus would want more universal compassion towards each other then what we seem to give each other in this day and age.

I do believe the bible on the whole gives a good sense of morality, though i may not agree with totally everything.

I still do want to go to a church again at some point. But idk how, when or even sometimes why. If god is all knowing then he would see me, and say oh that guy is truly sorry for living a messy life and is trying to make amends in my eyes and is a child of god. Might check out different churches at some point. Once covid 19 has gone away.

IDK still want to pray daily out of a variety of catholic prayer books and incorporate some common worship practices from anglican forms of daily prayer. Like quiet time.

Anyway any audiobooks on scribd people can reccomend or podcasts or such would be welcome remain open minded about different forms of the faith etc.
Here is a link to a whatnot that will help you.

Are you absolutely sure you are born again? - Christian Life Frankston

Upvote 0

Tolworth John

Site Supporter
Mar 10, 2017
Tolworth
✟369,679.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Depends what you are looking for.
If it is sermons that dig into what the Bible says rather that what the preacher wants it to say then check out the onlinec sermons by Dr Martin Lloyd Jones or dick Lucas.
If it's challenging logical articles about Christianity then try reasonable faith, if it is more basic article, podcasts and videos try coldcasechristianity.

These are all from a protestant view of the Bible and an evangelical view too.
The Dr will be critical of Catholicism, but only where it's teaching is not inaccordance with the Bible.

Upvote 0
Apr 17, 2020
Surrey
✟15,561.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Depends what you are looking for.
If it is sermons that dig into what the Bible says rather that what the preacher wants it to say then check out the onlinec sermons by Dr Martin Lloyd Jones or dick Lucas.
If it's challenging logical articles about Christianity then try reasonable faith, if it is more basic article, podcasts and videos try coldcasechristianity.

These are all from a protestant view of the Bible and an evangelical view too.
The Dr will be critical of Catholicism, but only where it's teaching is not inaccordance with the Bible.

Ok shall check those out and thank you for your time. Found a few links to writers and authers of libral catholicism linked on wikipedia and other christian paths.

And @Aussie Pete read that post wouldnt say im born again, dont think ill ever be due to my schizophrenia its hard to have a totally clear frame of mind as that article says you need. Plus also depends on which church i end up going to (or back to) I love some things about catholism and im unsure ill be able to give those up, plus i dont think in catholicism its possible to be born again and according to the rc church you never left.

But as i say i shall try to keep an open mind and i know catholicism isnt infallible but its the only form of christianity ive really known. Dislike some of that which has been in the news about the catholic institution. People are human though even priests and nuns

might just keep the faith growing and stay a lapsed catholic, i mean theirs not much chance of getting to a church right now anyway as the uk is in lockdown.

Upvote 0