Does Anyone Have Absolute Faith in God Without a Curiosity of Some of its Elements?

newton3005

Jun 29, 2019
newburgh
✟115,293.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Hebrews 11:1 says that faith is the assurance of things hoped for and the conviction of things not seen. So faith as applied to God would mean the assurance of things hoped for that will come from God, and the conviction that He exists even though we cannot physically sense His appearance as those in the Old Testament have. Arguably anyone today whose faith is in God may have a stronger faith in Him that those who’ve sensed His appearance in the Old Testament. Such people in the Old Testament didn’t need the faith that God exists, since they knew. What’s left is an assurance that God would have done good for them. And if we can’t see Him, we at least have the faith that He exists.

Does anyone have absolute faith? Perhaps they would if they didn’t live in a world of sin. We are constantly confronted with evil. It may hit some of us so hard that it might cause some of us to wonder if God really exists for us. Most of the time this kind of wavering is temporary, as a palm tree that sways in the wind. Just as at the end of the day when the wind stops blowing the palm tree still stands, when all is said and done our faith still holds after we similarly have swayed.

There are some mild forms of wavering. Sometimes it may be necessary to waver away from our presumptions in order to achieve a better understanding and faith in God. 1 Corinthians 1:10 says, “I appeal to you, brothers, by the name of our Lord Jesus Christ, that all of you agree, and that there be no divisions among you, but that you be united in the same mind and the same judgment.” Well, in order to be united there has to be some compromise. Compromise involves wavering to some degree, does it not, in order to reach a common understanding and conviction. Even a domineering person may waver a little in order to uphold convictions formed by a group. Sometimes learning involves setting aside things you took for granted.

And then there are the doubting Thomas’s among us who take their que from those who live in Missouri, so to speak. 1 Corinthians 2:14-15 says “The natural person does not accept the things of the Spirit of God, for they are folly to him, and he is not able to understand them because they are spiritually discerned. The spiritual person judges all things but is himself to be judged by no one.” That’s quite a range between verses 14 and 15.

Some may say that Thomas, despite his faith in Jesus, leans toward verse 14 since Jesus had to convince him in a physical sense that the other disciples saw his spirit. What if Thomas was with the other disciples when Jesus’ spirit made his appearance? Well, there would be no doubt in Thomas’ mind that Jesus so appeared, right? And what if one of the other disciples was not in the room with the others when Jesus’ spirit appeared? Would he have reacted the same way, asking to be convinced?

But did Thomas waver in his faith, when he had doubts that the Spirit of Jesus came into being? That would have been true if Jesus told his disciples he would be coming back as a spirit after he leaves his flesh. But aside from Jesus’ saying he has overcome the world, would his disciples have been given any indication that he would come back as a spirit? There is no doubt that those who saw his spirit the first time had their faith fortified. But between verses 14 and 15 of 1 Corinthians 2 must be a lot of skeptics in varying degrees, as to their degree of faith. So between verses 14 and 15 there is a lot of potential for wavering, even if only temporarily.

Maria Billingsley

Site Supporter
Oct 7, 2018
Martinez
✟902,676.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Hebrews 11:1 says that faith is the assurance of things hoped for and the conviction of things not seen. So faith as applied to God would mean the assurance of things hoped for that will come from God, and the conviction that He exists even though we cannot physically sense His appearance as those in the Old Testament have. Arguably anyone today whose faith is in God may have a stronger faith in Him that those who’ve sensed His appearance in the Old Testament. Such people in the Old Testament didn’t need the faith that God exists, since they knew. What’s left is an assurance that God would have done good for them. And if we can’t see Him, we at least have the faith that He exists.

Does anyone have absolute faith? Perhaps they would if they didn’t live in a world of sin. We are constantly confronted with evil. It may hit some of us so hard that it might cause some of us to wonder if God really exists for us. Most of the time this kind of wavering is temporary, as a palm tree that sways in the wind. Just as at the end of the day when the wind stops blowing the palm tree still stands, when all is said and done our faith still holds after we similarly have swayed.

There are some mild forms of wavering. Sometimes it may be necessary to waver away from our presumptions in order to achieve a better understanding and faith in God. 1 Corinthians 1:10 says, “I appeal to you, brothers, by the name of our Lord Jesus Christ, that all of you agree, and that there be no divisions among you, but that you be united in the same mind and the same judgment.” Well, in order to be united there has to be some compromise. Compromise involves wavering to some degree, does it not, in order to reach a common understanding and conviction. Even a domineering person may waver a little in order to uphold convictions formed by a group. Sometimes learning involves setting aside things you took for granted.

And then there are the doubting Thomas’s among us who take their que from those who live in Missouri, so to speak. 1 Corinthians 2:14-15 says “The natural person does not accept the things of the Spirit of God, for they are folly to him, and he is not able to understand them because they are spiritually discerned. The spiritual person judges all things but is himself to be judged by no one.” That’s quite a range between verses 14 and 15.

Some may say that Thomas, despite his faith in Jesus, leans toward verse 14 since Jesus had to convince him in a physical sense that the other disciples saw his spirit. What if Thomas was with the other disciples when Jesus’ spirit made his appearance? Well, there would be no doubt in Thomas’ mind that Jesus so appeared, right? And what if one of the other disciples was not in the room with the others when Jesus’ spirit appeared? Would he have reacted the same way, asking to be convinced?

But did Thomas waver in his faith, when he had doubts that the Spirit of Jesus came into being? That would have been true if Jesus told his disciples he would be coming back as a spirit after he leaves his flesh. But aside from Jesus’ saying he has overcome the world, would his disciples have been given any indication that he would come back as a spirit? There is no doubt that those who saw his spirit the first time had their faith fortified. But between verses 14 and 15 of 1 Corinthians 2 must be a lot of skeptics in varying degrees, as to their degree of faith. So between verses 14 and 15 there is a lot of potential for wavering, even if only temporarily.
By "absolute faith" do you mean this definition?
Absolute faith rejects doubt and contradiction. It does not bolstered with excuses or explanations.

Upvote 0

Bobber

Feb 10, 2004
✟215,955.00
Faith
Non-Denom

I'd say we can have the capacity to walk in absolute faith but you also have the capacity to waver and doubt. Peter walking on the water is an example. By faith in Jesus words to come he got out of the boat and walked.....but then he started allowing doubt to enter his mind when he looked at the waves and the wind. We have to know he had the capacity to keep walking by faith for Jesus asked him why did he doubt. Matt 4:22 That means you were able to continue.

Upvote 0

Rachel20

May 30, 2020
STX
✟58,109.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I think when the Lord returns, he'll find little faith on the earth Luke 18:8 I think one thing that hurts our faith is investing it without a promise from the Lord. Abraham had a promise first, then believed God. Some things are guaranteed to all believers at all times (he'll never leave or forsake us), but other things aren't (healing, etc...). For those things I ask, but I don't invest faith for them until I know his will.

Just curious, why do you believe the post-resurrection appearances of Christ were only in spirit form? That seems to contradict Jesus own words in Luke 24:39

Upvote 0

antwaniiz

Aug 8, 2020
miami
✟849.00
Country
Indonesia
Faith
United Ch. of Christ
Marital Status
Private
By "absolute faith" do you mean this definition?
Absolute faith rejects doubt and contradiction. It does not bolstered with excuses or explanations.
My absolute faith in you accepts the contradictions
in the doubt I have regarding it.

Upvote 0

childeye 2

Aug 18, 2018
Denver CO
✟202,810.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

1 Corinthians 13 1
If I have the gift of prophecy and can fathom all mysteries and all knowledge, and if I have a faith that can move mountains, but have not love, I am nothing. If I give all I possess to the poor and surrender my body to the flames, but have not love, I gain nothing.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

antwaniiz

Aug 8, 2020
miami
✟849.00
Country
Indonesia
Faith
United Ch. of Christ
Marital Status
Private
1 Corinthians 13 1
If I have the gift of prophecy and can fathom all mysteries and all knowledge, and if I have a faith that can move mountains, but have not love, I am nothing. If I give all I possess to the poor and surrender my body to the flames, but have not love, I gain nothing.
All my treasures are stored up in heaven.

• Agree
Reactions: childeye 2
Upvote 0

antwaniiz

Aug 8, 2020
miami
✟849.00
Country
Indonesia
Faith
United Ch. of Christ
Marital Status
Private
The faith "I have" in Jesus Christ was/is a gift from God Himself. Is that "absolute" enough?
You can answer that question yourself for us.

Would Jesus say to you

A. Oh ye of little faith.
B. Oh ye of great faith.

Which would you say that Jesus
would say to you about your faith?

Reactions: newton3005
Upvote 0