Does anyone else see a need for parental involvement dating?

timf

Jun 12, 2011
✟79,640.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Our children are getting to the age where they are going to start dating/courtship. They are somewhat isolated for three reasons. Firstly, we live in a rural area. Secondly, we have home schooled our children. Thirdly, our beliefs are not compatible with most Christian practice as we desire to avoid the world embracing character of the liberal as well as the legalistic tendency of the conservative. As a result we tend towards the conservative with out the note of compulsivity.

The question arises as to how we might find other families with whom we could correspond by which our children might encounter those who might also have an interest in pursuing closer relationships.

Traditional practice has been to send your children off to Bible college and hope that things turn out alright. Many Christian young people turn to dating web sites that make a good living trying to sell interest in them to others.

I was wondering if other Christian parents are as concerned as we are regarding what seems to be limited options for our children. There are not too many more important decisions that who you will marry.

Avniel

Doing my part each day by being the best me
Jun 11, 2010
Bronx NYC
✟38,941.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
I met my wife in regular college, we were both Christians and we waited for marriage. I think part of our faith has to be God will protect our children but if we keep them to sheltered they will fall for anything but if we don't shelter them then influences may take hold in a negative way. I think dating is a perfect time to teach and advise. However if I were you I'd stay out of it, give them room to grow and make their own choices.

Upvote 0

*Charis*

*Psalm 36:9*
Aug 17, 2009
Visit site
✟33,182.00
Faith
Christian
Politics
US-Constitution
If you have a homeschooling association in your area, you
might find other families that feel as you do. Also, this
site brings people (families) together who want to worship in homes
and encourage eachother in the Lord~ ncfic.org (National Center
for Family-Integrated Churches)

Upvote 0
Sep 4, 2011
✟10,276.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Private
Definitely the home schooling groups. Your children could offer to tutor or lead group activities, and run into others who have stayed with the organization for years.

Christian camps ask for counselors, and many 18-year-olds spend their last summer before college leading camp activities; the counselors create their own tight-knit friendships.

Christian Summer Camps - MySummerCamps

Christian colleges offer summer courses, workshops and camps, sometimes as a way to get people comfortable with the college. There are options like archaeology and naturalist teams supporting a faculty member doing research. Robotics workshops on campus. They are expensive, usually grant credit, and do not obligate students to stay.

There are also respectable cultural centers started by Methodists, where young people can work for a summer and attend the same lectures and concerts as the guests. The guest speakers can be liberal, but activity is very restrained.

Employment

Many of these places need summer help, or support from eager able-bodied young people. Where there is a team of Christian workers, there can also be a support system of friends. Encourage them to check the employment pages of their favorite ministries.
http://www.bing.com/search?q=chatauqua+institute&pc=MOZI&form=MOZSBR#
I met my wife in regular college, we were both Christians
I usually found myself stronger in faith when I was the only Christian, because it was easier to not be swayed by people I half-agreed with. I knew where I stood, and where others stood.

Your kids are at a point in life where some fly in the opposite direction to establish their own identities; so holding too tight a rein might backfire. Teach them how to make decisions slowly and wisely, with research and testing.

Upvote 0