Does anyone else not like "stainless" steel appliances

Sophrosyne

Let Your Light Shine.. Matt 5:16
Jun 21, 2007
In God's Amazing Grace
✟903,022.00
Faith
Christian
I have a stainless steel cased microwave that is fine as scratches of stuff on top of it won't show but fridges rather have paint. There is differing types of stainless steel some has iron in it and some doesn't which is what magnets need to stick to it. Stainless is good on stove tops and other high use areas where metal hits or rubs on them a lot too. Would I buy a stainless steel fridge? Only if I can't get the same or better bargain on a non stainless steel version.

Upvote 0

smaneck

Baha'i
Sep 29, 2010
Jackson, MS
✟55,644.00
Faith
Baha'i
Marital Status
Single
Doing a little house shopping and I swear EVERY home built in the last 10-15 yrs has these.....I will never get the appeal, can't stand them. To me a kitchen should be warm and inviting...which doesn't exactly apply to bare metal. ugh. I get diff strokes for diff folks, but you'd think SOME homes would have regular stuff in them. PS and oh btw in my experience they are about as "stainless" as a white t-shirt. Finally, you can't even hang magnets on them. What's up w/that? What kind of commie wants a fridge where you can't put your goofy magnetically-held pics and all on the fridge? :)

I just don't like the fact that stainless steel appliances tend to cost at least $100 more.

Upvote 0

Four Angels Standing

2Peter 1:21 Cry Out For Wisdom Grace Heals
Apr 18, 2016
Dallas
✟11,005.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
my stainless steel fridge holds magnets just fine.
I haven't yet figured out the best way to clean the stainless to keep it
nice and shiney, but that will come.......

so if you're house shopping, the thing to do would be to just take a kitchen magnet along with you and try it out on the refrigerators. ;)
If you go to a hardware store like Home Depot, or maybe even Walmart, check on-line to see who's got what at the best price, you'll find stainless steel cleaners that do the job of keeping SS shiny and fresh.

There are black stainless steel appliances now that can help with that warm cozy look in the kitchen.
hero.jpg

My favorite newbie look is the Whirlpool sunset bronze stainless steel appliance line.

Sunset-Bronze-Suite-2.jpg

Upvote 0

Sophrosyne

Let Your Light Shine.. Matt 5:16
Jun 21, 2007
In God's Amazing Grace
✟903,022.00
Faith
Christian
Well there is one advantage of SS in that lighter paint colors over the years can get UV fade especially when they have plastic and paints matching colors they sometimes fade at different rates making for noticeable differences. A disadvantage is cleaning a painted fridge is sometimes as easy and a damp cloth and a quick swipe but stainless often requires more than water and if there gets oils from your body on it you need a degreaser and end up wiping with the grain to get at the smudging. If I were to consider a SS fridge I would bring a magnet just to see which brands/models can use magnets on them as I find it very useful to post some phone number and addresses of people and places occasionally needing to be remembered.

Upvote 0