Does anyone else feel the time period for Gen-X vs millennials is off?

NothingIsImpossible

May 22, 2015
✟274,922.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I was born in late 81 and people say I qualify as a Millenial. Something I recently found out. I always thought I was Gen X because I seen other places that state people born between 80 and 83 aren't considered to be part of any generation (they sort of choose which).

I've never had anything in common with Millenials though. I don't even get along with most of them at times. However I get along perfect with Gen X'ers. I even act like one people say. Most of my music, tv, movie tastes...etc are from 80s and before (all the way back to the start of music, movies...etc).

I should point out I am not saying there is anything wrong with Millenials.

• Agree
Reactions: anna ~ grace

WhatAmIdoinhere

Jul 19, 2020
Kętrzyn
✟7,738.00
Country
Poland
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Divorced
It's all made up , humans like to sort things in order even if its another human being . In all "generations" you will find lazy , stupid , brilliant , genius people.
You don't have to put yourself in any group only closed-minded people carry about such things lol.

You like what you like and hate what you hate and stick with it.

Upvote 0

anna ~ grace

Site Supporter
May 9, 2010
✟108,146.93
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Yes. I’m technically a Millennial, 35. I feel a lifetime away from folks born in ‘98. Just had totally different experiences growing up, different tech, different world.

I grew up in a world with pay phones, dial-up, beepers, and basic television. Phones were stationary, and had cords. :D

Upvote 0

Mayflower1

Hello my Name is "Child of the One True King"
Site Supporter
Dec 2, 2005
Heaven of course!
✟117,723.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
I think the millinial generation should be split further. I am 33, and it does seem like a wide age difference. Late twenties and thirties are the ones marrying with kids now. I have less in common with early twenties.

Upvote 0

Mayflower1

Site Supporter
Dec 2, 2005
Heaven of course!
✟117,723.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Yes. I’m technically a Millennial, 35. I feel a lifetime away from folks born in ‘98. Just had totally different experiences growing up, different tech, different world.

I grew up in a world with pay phones, dial-up, beepers, and basic television. Phones were stationary, and had cords. :D

I brought a VCR to church, and the kids asked what it was. Lol

Upvote 0

Mayflower1

Site Supporter
Dec 2, 2005
Heaven of course!
✟117,723.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
It's all made up , humans like to sort things in order even if its another human being . In all "generations" you will find lazy , stupid , brilliant , genius people.
You don't have to put yourself in any group only closed-minded people carry about such things lol.

You like what you like and hate what you hate and stick with it.

And see you are 26 and we have different views. :) You may feel different in a few years.

Upvote 0

anna ~ grace

Site Supporter
May 9, 2010
✟108,146.93
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I brought a VCR to church, and the kids asked what it was. Lol
I keep calling smart phones “telephones” and describing music as “records”.

“I have records on my telephone!”

“What? Oh, you..... you just have a bunch of saved YouTube videos of Hall and Oates on your iPhone?”

“Yeah! I said that!”

:rolleyes:

• Haha
Reactions: Mayflower1
Upvote 0

Mayflower1

Site Supporter
Dec 2, 2005
Heaven of course!
✟117,723.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
I keep calling smart phones “telephones” and describing music as “records”.

“I have records on my telephone!”

“What? Oh, you..... you just have a bunch of saved YouTube videos of Hall and Oates on your iPhone?”

“Yeah! I said that!”

:rolleyes:

I miss walkmans and cassette tapes. This music on a cordless telephone is way too easy to use. :D

• Winner
Upvote 0

Mayflower1

Site Supporter
Dec 2, 2005
Heaven of course!
✟117,723.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
I miss walkmans, too. Bluetooth technology creeps me out. When we were kids, the only folks who talked to themselves were folks you quietly crossed the street to avoid. It still weirds me out.

My husband has a bluetooth. He gets me all the time. Lol

• Agree
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Sir Robbins

Waiting for Fall
Sep 28, 2012
Saint Augustine, FL
✟52,747.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Celibate
Politics
US-Libertarian
I miss walkmans, too. I will never, never, never get used to Bluetooth technology.

I still use an ipod with attached headphones... I still have my walkman from Radio Shack and many of my favorite albums were on cassette and I still have them

Reactions: Mayflower1
Upvote 0

Hazelelponi

:sighing:
Site Supporter
Jun 25, 2018
USA
✟690,397.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
I was born in late 81 and people say I qualify as a Millenial. Something I recently found out. I always thought I was Gen X because I seen other places that state people born between 80 and 83 aren't considered to be part of any generation (they sort of choose which).

I've never had anything in common with Millenials though. I don't even get along with most of them at times. However I get along perfect with Gen X'ers. I even act like one people say. Most of my music, tv, movie tastes...etc are from 80s and before (all the way back to the start of music, movies...etc).

It often depends on which cusp you fall really. My son was born in early 1984, and I in late 1968 and according to some metrics that makes both of us Gen X'ers...

And for us it really holds true, he and I have far more in common generationally than my daughter and I, who is definitely a millennial (born in 1990)

Just those few years makes a huge difference in how we saw life. I'd say for yourself, you probably just sit too close to the line and therefore personality-wise, fall more into a Gen-x mentality.

Upvote 0

HappyHope

Jul 22, 2019
New Mexico
✟54,344.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

I'm with you. I was born in 1982. I'm a bit miffed to be considered a millennial. I really do relate to Gen X more. My husband is officially Gen X (barely) so he teases me about it. If it comforts you, I read somewhere there is an overlap between the generations. We are in the overlap, my friend. That's all.

Upvote 0

MehGuy

A member of the less neotenous sex..
Site Supporter
Jul 23, 2007
Minnesota
✟1,163,290.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Yeah, 1981 seems a little late. In my mind a millennials are more around 1987-1995ish..

The gap between 1981 and 1998 is pretty wide. Means some millennials are almost an adult while others were just born. They're gonna have pretty different child and teenage experiences.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Ronit

Jul 29, 2017
Oregon
✟34,860.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Single

I totally get where you are coming from. :)

Upvote 0

Sketcher

Born Imperishable
Feb 23, 2004
✟380,049.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
"Xennial" seems to fit those who were born in the early 80's rather well. It's really an in-between time, but too many people were born then to have it not be its own generation.

By the way, the renaming and reclassifying of this forum was not without controversy for this very reason. It's been discussed: Admin Announcement - Possible changes for the Life stages area.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

thecolorsblend

If God is your Father, who is your Mother?
Site Supporter
Jul 1, 2013
Gotham City, New Jersey
✟308,231.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married

I don't care what anybody says, if you were born in a year beginning with 198, you're a Millennial. This forum is badly named.

Upvote 0