Does anyone else feel like you don't have any extra time when you have a full time job?

A_Thinker

Site Supporter
Apr 23, 2004
Midwest
✟953,784.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
This is a copied thread from the "Singles Only" area ...

"Just got my full time programming job, just finished my second day. Just feel stressed and tired right now. Just doesn't really feel like I have much free time anymore. Do these feelings ever go away?

I know it's weird to be this way. But I tend to have hard time dealing with stress."

On the days that you work, you can have time for little else than getting up, getting ready for work, commuting to work, working, commuting from work, eating, relaxing a bit, sleeping, ... then starting the whole thing over again.

I generally get a couple hours of downtime in the evening, and of course, weekends ...

Rescued One

...yet not I, but the grace of God that is with me
Dec 12, 2002
Midwest
✟79,556.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Widowed

"Just got my full time programming job, just finished my second day. Just feel stressed and tired right now. Just doesn't really feel like I have much free time anymore. Do these feelings ever go away?

I know it's weird to be this way. But I tend to have hard time dealing with stress."

On the days that you work, you can have time for little else than getting up, getting ready for work, commuting to work, working, commuting from work, eating, relaxing a bit, sleeping, ... then starting the whole thing over again.

I generally get a couple hours of downtime in the evening, and of course, weekends ...

I remember. It was hard!

Upvote 0

maintenance man

Site Supporter
Sep 29, 2018
California
Visit site
✟483,692.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married

Typically, when you first start out the stress is high and it's hard to make good use of what little time you have in the evenings. But once you get the job dialed in, usually you can figure out ways to stretch your off time to gain the most from those precious hours.

Upvote 0

Tolworth John

Site Supporter
Mar 10, 2017
Tolworth
✟369,679.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
"Just got my full time programming job, just finished my second day. Just feel stressed and tired right now.

I'm not a programmer or anything like it, but I always reckon it takes 6 months to learn a job and a couple of years to be good at that job.

Upvote 0

SkyWriting

The Librarian
Site Supporter
Jan 10, 2010
Milwaukee
✟410,948.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others

The secret is to have a plan. An end of the day plan or end of the week plan or a Financial Independence plan. Then all of your day will be a part of your plan and not somebody else's plan.

For example, I have this vision of my house and the land around it. This vision gets stronger when my boss is less than charitable. I just smile and mentally thank him for the vision. I know I am one step closer to my vision house and job.

ChooseFI | Join the Financial Independence Movement
Welcome to ChooseFI. Join a global community of people that are pursuing Financial Independence through Investing, Real Estate and Business creation.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

SkyWriting

The Librarian
Site Supporter
Jan 10, 2010
Milwaukee
✟410,948.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others

One when starting up a new process we worked 14 hour days 60 days straight. You get used to it after a while.

Upvote 0

bèlla

❤️
Site Supporter
Jan 16, 2019
USA
✟946,843.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
In Relationship
The secret is to have a plan. An end of the day plan or end of the week plan or
a Financial Independence plan. Then all of your day will be a part of your plan and not somebody else's plan.

That's true. I began reading popular financial and self-help books. Rich Dad Poor Dad was instrumental in convincing me to give up the corporate world and seek something different. The Millionaire Next Door made me put the brakes on marriage. :D

When you're hungry for change you must look for like-minded people. It's difficult to sustain on your own. You need travel companions at different points. Some in the beginning, middle, and further out. It gives you something to work towards and useful information to draw from.

Sometimes you have to take a hit to have your dream. You don't take the demanding job because you're putting a side hustle in place and need the down time. You have to think beyond the here and now.

Having a plan is important as is living within your means. It gives you more options. We want everything now and it welds us to the rat race. FI is good community. You're on the right track. :)

~bella

Upvote 0

OldWiseGuy

Wake me when it's soup.
Site Supporter
Feb 4, 2006
Wisconsin
Visit site
✟960,122.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
"Six days shall you labor..." Good advice as the 5 day 40 hours per week is a recipe for financial failure for many low wage workers. I have almost always had a part time job, or source of income, besides my full time job. I still enjoyed 2 days off however I did those jobs in the evenings, which added up to six days labor or more.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums