Does anyone actually believe Jack Chick's theology?

Humble_Disciple

May 17, 2021
Northwest
✟39,150.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Divorced
In this Jack Chick tract, a Christian couple is sent to eternal conscious torment in hell for actually obeying Jesus' commands to love your neighbor, serve the poor, heal the sick, make disciples of all nations, etc.:

Description: A couple spends 50 years on the mission field, trusting in their good works. But when they die and stand before God, they learn that good works can't save... only Jesus can.
Chick.com: Flight 144

This has to be the most absurd Bible tract I've ever seen. Does anyone actually base their soteriology on Chick tracts?

All this tract seems to do is discourage people from obeying Christ through fear and intimidation. Was Jack Chick a radical antinomian?

The tract even quotes Matthew 7:23 out of context. When Jesus says "Depart from me, I never knew you," he is speaking specifically to people who never followed His commandments:

Matthew 7
15 “Watch out for false prophets. They come to you in sheep’s clothing, but inwardly they are ferocious wolves. 16 By their fruit you will recognize them. Do people pick grapes from thornbushes, or figs from thistles? 17 Likewise, every good tree bears good fruit, but a bad tree bears bad fruit. 18 A good tree cannot bear bad fruit, and a bad tree cannot bear good fruit. 19 Every tree that does not bear good fruit is cut down and thrown into the fire. 20 Thus, by their fruit you will recognize them. 21 “Not everyone who says to me, ‘Lord, Lord,’ will enter the kingdom of heaven, but only the one who does the will of my Father who is in heaven. 22 Many will say to me on that day, ‘Lord, Lord, did we not prophesy in your name and in your name drive out demons and in your name perform many miracles?’ 23 Then I will tell them plainly, ‘I never knew you. Away from me, you evildoers!’

How could Jesus be any more clear than "Every tree that does not bear good fruit is cut down and thrown into the fire"? (Matthew 7:19)

Jesus said that, if you love Him, you will keep His commandments (John 14:15), that except your righteousness shall exceed the righteousness of the scribes and Pharisees, you will not enter the Kingdom of Heaven (Matthew 5:20) and Hebrews 12:14 says that, without holiness, no one will see the Lord.

Without God's sanctifying grace, given by Christ's imparted righteousness, this righteousness wouldn't be possible:

Imparted righteousness is righteousness that results from our obedience to the Word of God. God has made us a new creation. He says in His Word that we are a new man created in righteousness and holiness. He even tells us that He has prepared good works for us by grace so that we might walk in them. From the Word of God we are sanctified, that is made more and more like Christ. And as we grow in this grace we learn to do what is right for the right reasons. These works, imparted to us and accomplished through us by the Spirit are pleasing to God.
The Breastplate of Righteousness

Flowing from Christ as it does, the imparted righteousness of sanctification gives us no more ground for boasting than the imputed righteousness of justification. For though they affect us in different ways, both ultimately come from Another (1 Cor. 1:30). So even if we can honestly boast that we’ve worked harder than others—the truly sanctified person will quickly add, “Yet it was not I, but the grace of God that is with me” (1 Cor. 15:10; 230).

And yet because of union with Christ, sanctification is also never optional, because the same Christ who forgives our sin also gives us his Holy Spirit. Justification and sanctification always go together because Jesus never gives one without the other. Christ—in other words, the whole Christ—is the unifying factor in both. He’s the only safeguard we have, and the only one we need.
Two Pastoral Thoughts on Justification and Sanctification

The doctrine of imparted righteousness is that Christ died to save people from sin rather than just to give them an excuse to continue in sin. This power over sin is freely given by Christ's sanctifying grace to those who trust in Him.

While one might not like the source, this breaks down how Chick quoted verses on good works out of context to suit his own theology and agenda:

Good works[edit]
Chick also liked to claim that good works are not the way into Heaven; he failed to explain those passages (like Psalm 62:12, Jeremiah 17:10, Romans 2:5-6, Matthew 16:27, Matthew 25:41-46, Luke 10:26-28, James 2:17, and Revelation 20:12-13) which state that good works are required for salvation. It got really bizarre when Chick points out one part of the Bible and ignores the adjacent passages that totally undermine the very point he raised. For example, in The Chaplain Chick referred to Matthew 25:41 while ignoring Matthew 25:42-46 showing that good works are a requirement. So, he cites the following:

Then shall he say also unto them on the left hand, Depart from me, ye cursed, into everlasting fire, prepared for the devil and his angels: (Matthew 25:41) (what Chick cites)

But look at what Chick omits:

For I was an hungred, and ye gave me no meat: I was thirsty, and ye gave me no drink: I was a stranger, and ye took me not in: naked, and ye clothed me not: sick, and in prison, and ye visited me not. Then shall they also answer him, saying, Lord, when saw we thee an hungred, or athirst, or a stranger, or naked, or sick, or in prison, and did not minister unto thee? Then shall he answer them, saying, Verily I say unto you, Inasmuch as ye did it not to one of the least of these, ye did it not to me. And these shall go away into everlasting punishment: but the righteous into life eternal. (Matthew 25:42-46)

This lack of crosschecking research gets really bizarre when you compare tracts. Take Flight 144 (1998) and Somebody Goofed (2002) for example. In Flight 144 Chick has a character state "The Bible says that good works can't save anyone" but in Somebody Goofed Chick has a reference that simply says "**Rev 20:12-15". Well here is the King James version of that reference, with some boldface added for emphasis:

"And I saw the dead, small and great, stand before God; and the books were opened: and another book was opened, which is the book of life: and the dead were judged out of those things which were written in the books, according to their works. And the sea gave up the dead which were in it; and death and hell delivered up the dead which were in them: and they were judged every man according to their works. And death and hell were cast into the lake of fire. This is the second death. And whosoever was not found written in the book of life was cast into the lake of fire." (Revelation 20:12-15)

So Chick provides a reference to a passage that contradicts a claim made by an earlier tract and the really ludicrous part is that both tracts are still in print.
Jack Chick - RationalWiki

Last edited:

Sabertooth

Repartee Animal: Quipping the Saints!
Site Supporter
Jul 25, 2005
Wisconsin
Visit site
✟959,193.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I am not clear what you are asking.
Are you suggesting that sufficiently accumulated "good" works can replace the necessity of being Born-Again (for Salvation)...?

Upvote 0

Humble_Disciple

May 17, 2021
Northwest
✟39,150.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Divorced
I am not clear what you are asking.
Are you suggesting that sufficiently accumulated "good" works can replace the necessity of being Born-Again (for Salvation)...?

The tract quotes Matthew 7:23 out of context. When Jesus says "Depart from me, I never knew you," he is speaking specifically to people who never followed His commandments:

Matthew 7
15 “Watch out for false prophets. They come to you in sheep’s clothing, but inwardly they are ferocious wolves. 16 By their fruit you will recognize them. Do people pick grapes from thornbushes, or figs from thistles? 17 Likewise, every good tree bears good fruit, but a bad tree bears bad fruit. 18 A good tree cannot bear bad fruit, and a bad tree cannot bear good fruit. 19 Every tree that does not bear good fruit is cut down and thrown into the fire. 20 Thus, by their fruit you will recognize them. 21 “Not everyone who says to me, ‘Lord, Lord,’ will enter the kingdom of heaven, but only the one who does the will of my Father who is in heaven. 22 Many will say to me on that day, ‘Lord, Lord, did we not prophesy in your name and in your name drive out demons and in your name perform many miracles?’ 23 Then I will tell them plainly, ‘I never knew you. Away from me, you evildoers!’

How could Jesus be any more clear than "Every tree that does not bear good fruit is cut down and thrown into the fire"? (Matthew 7:19)

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Humble_Disciple

May 17, 2021
Northwest
✟39,150.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Divorced
No, He is speaking to those who served Him on their own terms rather than His.
Balaam and King Saul are good examples of that.

Matthew 7:23 must be read in context of the surrounding verses. It's funny when, as Protestants, we only apply the principle of scripture alone when it fits our preconceived theology.

Upvote 0

Neogaia777

Old Soul
Site Supporter
Oct 10, 2011
Oregon
✟958,691.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Celibate
He is probably coming against the fact the good works, or good works only, or alone, cannot save, which they can't, but as for him trying to think he can judge all of them summarily, is where he is very much in error...

And I get very, very upset when people, from any camp, etc, just do not leave judgement, and most especially eternal judgement, only up to God...

God Bless!

Upvote 0

Rescued One

...yet not I, but the grace of God that is with me
Dec 12, 2002
Midwest
✟79,668.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Widowed
In this Jack Chick tract, a Christian couple is sent to eternal conscious torment in hell for actually obeying Jesus' commands to love your neighbor, serve the poor, heal the sick, make disciples of all nations, etc.:

This has to be the most absurd Bible tract I've ever seen. Does anyone actually base their soteriology on Chick tracts?

All this tract seems to do is discourage people from obeying Christ through fear and intimidation. Was Jack Chick a radical antinomian?

I never liked those tracts because I don't empathize hell, but I would like to know whether your description is accurate. People don't become Christians by doing those things. Are they Christians or did they go to hell for not believing that Jesus saved them apart from works?

Being saved by grace doesn't contradict the Bible. Eternal life is a gift freely given by God. We don't earn salvation and we aren't kept by works. The works we do are a result of God's work in us.

Do you think obedience helps Jesus save you?

• Winner
Reactions: Sabertooth
Upvote 0

Rescued One

Dec 12, 2002
Midwest
✟79,668.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Widowed
He is probably coming against the fact the good works, or good works only, or alone, cannot save, which they can't, but as for him trying to think he can judge all of them summarily, is where he is very much in error...

And I get very, very upset when people, from any camp, etc, just do not leave judgement, and most especially eternal judgement, only up to God...

God Bless!

If it isn't God's decision, who is the judge?

Upvote 0

Sabertooth

Repartee Animal: Quipping the Saints!
Site Supporter
Jul 25, 2005
Wisconsin
Visit site
✟959,193.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Our human hypotheses about God's Judgment isn't going to force Him to judge in an unfair manner.
But we are expected to exercise "due diligence" as we face Eternity.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Neogaia777

Old Soul
Site Supporter
Oct 10, 2011
Oregon
✟958,691.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Celibate
I never liked those tracts because I don't empathise hell, but I would like to know whether your description is accurate. People don't become Christians by doing those things. Are they Christians or did they go to hell for not believing that Jesus saved them apart from works.

Being saved by grace doesn't contradict the Bible. Eternal life is a gift freely given by God. We don't earn salvation and we aren't kept by works. The works we do are a result of God's work in us.

Only God knows whether or not they were, or any of us are, true Christians in their/our own hearts...

Do you agree with this...?

Because I'm not at all disagreeing with you at all, just adding a statement to all, etc...

Peace

God Bless!

Upvote 0

Humble_Disciple

May 17, 2021
Northwest
✟39,150.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Divorced

Jesus said that, if you love Him, you will keep His commandments (John 14:15), that except your righteousness shall exceed the righteousness of the scribes and Pharisees, you will not enter the Kingdom of Heaven (Matthew 5:20) and Hebrews 12:14 says that, without holiness, no one will see the Lord. Without God's sanctifying grace, this righteousness wouldn't be possible:

Imparted righteousness is righteousness that results from our obedience to the Word of God. God has made us a new creation. He says in His Word that we are a new man created in righteousness and holiness. He even tells us that He has prepared good works for us by grace so that we might walk in them. From the Word of God we are sanctified, that is made more and more like Christ. And as we grow in this grace we learn to do what is right for the right reasons. These works, imparted to us and accomplished through us by the Spirit are pleasing to God.
The Breastplate of Righteousness

• Friendly
Reactions: anna ~ grace
Upvote 0

Red Gold

Dec 28, 2019
Baden-Baden in the Black Forest, Germany
✟95,333.00
Country
Germany
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
I had to look up who this Jack Chick was:

Jack Thomas Chick (April 13, 1924 – October 23, 2016) was an American cartoonist and publisher, best known for his fundamentalist Christian "Chick tracts". He expressed his perspective on a variety of issues through sequential-art morality plays.

Many of Chick's views were controversial, as his widely distributed tracts accused Roman Catholics, Freemasons, Muslims, and many other groups of murder and conspiracies.[3] His comics have been described by Robert Ito, in Los Angeles magazine, as "equal parts hate literature and fire-and-brimstone sermonizing".[4]

Chick's views have been spread mostly through the tracts and, more recently, online. His company, Chick Publications, says it has sold over 750 million tracts,[5] comics tracts and comic books, videos, books, and posters designed to promote Evangelical Protestantism from a Christian fundamentalist perspective. They have been translated into more than 100 languages.[6]

Chick was an Independent Baptist who followed a premillennial dispensationalist view of the End Times. He was a believer in the King James Only movement, which posits that every English translation of the Bible more recent than 1611 promotes heresy or immorality.[

Jack Chick - Wikipedia

Upvote 0

Neogaia777

Old Soul
Site Supporter
Oct 10, 2011
Oregon
✟958,691.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Celibate
Our human hypotheses about God's Judgment isn't going to force Him to judge in an unfair manner.

No, it's not...

And we would be very wise to always remember that and keep that in mind...

But we are expected to exercise "due diligence" as we face Eternity.

And only God can judge ones own due diligence, in anything, etc...

Because I am not disagreeing with you, just adding some statements only...

Peace

God Bless!

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Rescued One

Dec 12, 2002
Midwest
✟79,668.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Widowed
Jesus said that, if you love Him, you will keep His commandments (John 14:15), that except your righteousness shall exceed the righteousness of the scribes and Pharisees, you will not enter the Kingdom of Heaven (Matthew 5:20) and Hebrews 12:14 says that, without holiness, no one will see the Lord. Without God's sanctifying grace, this righteousness wouldn't be possible:

Having not mine own righteousnes... I don't claim my own righteousness because we can't do anything apart from Christ. If I love Him for the faith He gave, my faith is not dead because He doesn't give anyone dead faith!

Upvote 0

Neogaia777

Old Soul
Site Supporter
Oct 10, 2011
Oregon
✟958,691.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Celibate
True righteousness does not come from our obedience, but the saving act of Christ will lead to the fruit of true obedience, etc...

But also "in time" also, and we are not the judge of anyone else's or another's time...

Nor can we judge it if it does not appear to have fully happened on the outside before the end of a persons life also...

Because only God knows that heart, and it will on that basis by which He truly judges, etc...

And that is for "all of us", and "every single last one of us" always, etc...

And a person can be appearing to be fully obedient on the outside and before other men, but on the inside, which God fully knows, and they cannot fool Him, etc, anyway, on the inside will be very, very much sinful, and desperately wicked, etc, and then there can be a person who is not seeming to be fully obedient on the outside, or before other men, but on the inside is very much truly obedient and has a heart of pure gold, etc...

Do not be so quick to judgement...

You cannot fool God because He knows and fully sees all hearts...

And we do not and cannot, etc...

And true wisdom knows that/this, and all of these things, and always keeps them at the forefront of their awareness, or consciousness, or minds always, etc...

While it fears for it's own soul, etc...

God Bless!

Last edited:
  • Winner
Reactions: 1 person
Upvote 0

Humble_Disciple

May 17, 2021
Northwest
✟39,150.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Divorced
True righteousness does not come from our obedience...

Our obedience itself is a gift of God's sanctifying grace.

Flowing from Christ as it does, the imparted righteousness of sanctification gives us no more ground for boasting than the imputed righteousness of justification. For though they affect us in different ways, both ultimately come from Another (1 Cor. 1:30). So even if we can honestly boast that we’ve worked harder than others—the truly sanctified person will quickly add, “Yet it was not I, but the grace of God that is with me” (1 Cor. 15:10; 230).

And yet because of union with Christ, sanctification is also never optional, because the same Christ who forgives our sin also gives us his Holy Spirit. Justification and sanctification always go together because Jesus never gives one without the other. Christ—in other words, the whole Christ—is the unifying factor in both. He’s the only safeguard we have, and the only one we need.
Two Pastoral Thoughts on Justification and Sanctification

Upvote 0