Canada
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Celibate
Politics
CA-Others
...struggle?

With plot to be specific. I seem to be great at world building and character development, but whenever it comes to actually deciding a plot I seem to fall flat. I can typically figure out what I want the outcome of a story to be, but then actually getting there becomes a challenge. Due to this one stumbling block I rarely finish anything I write.

Instead, I simply just throw my characters into different scenarios and things to see how they would react. At least it gets me putting them to use.

Jenniferdiana

Site Supporter
Jan 7, 2016
louisiana
✟174,739.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
...struggle?

With plot to be specific. I seem to be great at world building and character development, but whenever it comes to actually deciding a plot I seem to fall flat. I can typically figure out what I want the outcome of a story to be, but then actually getting there becomes a challenge. Due to this one stumbling block I rarely finish anything I write.

Instead, I simply just throw my characters into different scenarios and things to see how they would react. At least it gets me putting them to use.
haha sorry i dont even know what a plot is..i just write

Reactions: MariaJLM
Upvote 0

~Anastasia~

† Handmaid of God †
Dec 1, 2013
Florida panhandle, USA
✟922,775.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Have you tried an outline? Brainstorming for a few days about how your characters are and how you want to show them developing to get a few "bricks" to fit into the wall. Fit those into the loose outline. See what other things need to happen - who needs to be challenged and how they will react and interact. Elements that can bond your reader to your characters and fit those in. And then where are you - how much more do you need?

Mostly mine just kind of have a life of their own as well, but I guess my mind does these sorts of things early on in the process, though I don't normally commit it to paper. I think it does serve to guide my characters though. (And a caveat - it's been a while since I wrote.) Just offering in case it helps.

Upvote 0

seekingmuch

Mar 14, 2018
PANAMA CITY
✟42,375.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
...struggle?

Do you have a beginning? Do you have a good ending?

The middle is going from point A to point B. Don't be worried about going to point C or D or E while getting to point B since that is life.

Upvote 0

Bob Crowley

Site Supporter
Dec 27, 2015
Logan City
✟756,754.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
...struggle?

Makes two of us. I can rattle off a short story quickly enough, but I struggle with developing a plot for a novel.

Upvote 0