Supporter
Jun 9, 2015
✟50,101.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Hello everyone!

Allow me to explain my question... Biologically speaking, there is no real reason for us to age and die the way that we do. Why is it that every human being is aging at about the same rate, and dying naturally in the ballpark of 100-120 years?

Genesis 6:3 has God shortening our lifespans to 120 years... Isn't it interesting that nobody can live much longer than this? I read on Google that a woman supposedly lived for 122 years, but that's still right in the ballpark. Can this be explained without the God of Genesis? I don't mean explaining how it happens, but rather why it happens. Apparently the people who wrote Genesis believed that man's days were only 120 years... With that being said, why is it still this way when we have "evolved" so much in society and medicine? The most healthy man alive can't get past 120 years.

Evidence for Genesis being true? I believe so.

Side question... Why is aging even a thing? Why do cells just start to shut down? If the goal of life according to evolution is to survive the longest, then why can't our cells survive past 120 years? They just give up, but why? Something to think about.

Speedwell

May 11, 2016
St Charles, IL
✟347,270.00
Country
United States
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Married
It's an interesting question which has stimulated a lot of speculation amongst biologists. There are some studies which suggest that our lifespans are programmed into us by evolution. For any living creature, eventual death by misadventure is inevitable, so replacements will always be needed. Given that for the process of evolution it is the survival of the species rather than that of any individual which is primary, it may be that for a particular reproducing species under particular conditions there is an optimal life span for individuals. Apparently mathematical models have been created which confirm this notion.

Upvote 0

4x4toy

Supporter
Jul 5, 2014
✟116,025.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
It's an interesting question which has stimulated a lot of speculation amongst biologists. There are some studies which suggest that our lifespans are programmed into us by evolution., For any living creature, eventual death by misadventure is inevitable so replacements will always be needed. Given that for the process of evolution it is the survival of the species rather than that of any individual which is primary, it may be that for a particular reproducing species under particular conditions there is an optimal life span for individuals. Apparently mathematical models have been created which confirm this notion.

Death by misadventure would be more apt for the inexperienced .. Right ?

Upvote 0

Speedwell

May 11, 2016
St Charles, IL
✟347,270.00
Country
United States
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Married
The point is that we die and old age will kill you eventually .. We grow to maturity then go downhill to death so I stand by my post #2 .. I
But if individuals live too long and replace themselves as well there must be too much competition for resources.

The bottom line from the evolutionary standpoint is this: evolution depends on reproduction and replacement of individual members of a species by new ones bearing variations. Otherwise the species could not adapt to new conditions and evolve.

Upvote 0

4x4toy

Supporter
Jul 5, 2014
✟116,025.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
But if individuals live too long and replace themselves as well there must be too much competition for resources.

The bottom line from the evolutionary standpoint is this: evolution depends on reproduction and replacement of individual members of a species by new ones bearing variations. Otherwise the species could not adapt to new conditions and evolve.

Occams Razor tells me that adjusting mitochondria would be much simpler with or without offspring .. Any one who gives evolution credit for anything is simple minded imo and unable to grasp or ponder the wonders of creation and God ..

Reactions: Tina W
Upvote 0

Speedwell

May 11, 2016
St Charles, IL
✟347,270.00
Country
United States
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Married
Occams Razor tells me that adjusting mitochondria would be much simpler with or without offspring .. Any one who gives evolution credit for anything is simple minded imo and unable to grasp or ponder the wonders of creation and God ..

Perhaps so, but we're stuck with what we've got and it does work. Why be so snotty about it?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Speedwell

May 11, 2016
St Charles, IL
✟347,270.00
Country
United States
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Married
Sorry , I know I come off that way at times .. I like to post with as few words as possible ..
OK, then I will save you some more words.

I take the Garden story in Genesis to be an etiological narrative intended to explain how we acquired the self-aware intelligence (not possessed by the other creatures) which allow us to contemplate the consequences of our actions and to contemplate our own mortality as well. Or, as St. Paul would have it, how sin and death came into the world.

I don't believe it had anything at all to do with the mere cessation of biological life.

Upvote 0

4x4toy

Supporter
Jul 5, 2014
✟116,025.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
OK, then I will save you some more words.

I take the Garden story in Genesis to be an etiological narrative intended to explain how we acquired the self-aware intelligence (not possessed by the other creatures) which allow us to contemplate the consequences of our actions and to contemplate our own mortality as well. Or, as St. Paul would have it, how sin and death came into the world.

I don't believe it had anything at all to do with the mere cessation of biological life.

Do you believe Adam would have died had he not eat of the tree with the forbidden fruit ?

Upvote 0

Speedwell

May 11, 2016
St Charles, IL
✟347,270.00
Country
United States
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Married
Do you believe Adam would have died had he not eat of the tree with the forbidden fruit ?
Eventually, but he wouldn't have worried about it ahead of time. Wouldn't have seen it coming any more than, say, your dog does.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Papias

Listening to TW4
Dec 22, 2005
✟57,276.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Hello everyone!

Genesis 6:3 has God shortening our lifespans to 120 years... The most healthy man alive can't get past 120 years.

Evidence for Genesis being true? I believe so.

Hello! Welcome!

Um, it seems pretty clear that it's the other way around.

Whoever wrote Genesis could observe that people don't live much past 100 or so. So he gave a few extra years for safety, and wrote down that "God said" people can't live past ~120. Of course he wouldn't write that people don't live past 80, because he could see that they do.

It's like so many folk tales - say, the story about the zebra being striped because a long time ago, a zebra tramped through a fire. It would be silly of me to say:

Hey, look, the story says that the zebra got his black stripes from tramping through a fire. We can all see that the zebra does, indeed, have black stripes. So that proves that the story is true! The same goes for the rhino being gray, the Jackal's black back, and so on. http://www.gateway-africa.com/stories/How_the_Zebra_Got_his_Stripes_San.html

No. It's much more likely that the story was made up to explain the black stripes in the first place. In the same way, it's a lot more likely that the "120 years" was written because the writer knew people didn't get older than that. We can see it was wrong, anyway, since it says "120 years" not "about 120 years". One person has already outlived that, and more likely will in the next few years.

Side question... Why is aging even a thing? Why do cells just start to shut down? If the goal of life according to evolution is to survive the longest, then why can't our cells survive past 120 years? They just give up, but why? Something to think about.

Evolution does't have a "goal". One reason among many that aging is selected for is that an older organism will be competing against it's own offspring, and from a gene centered view of evolution, that favors the younger offspring that don't have the molecular disadvantages of reduced telomere length. It's not like "evolution" can "decide" to change basic chemistry.

In Christ-

Papias

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

4x4toy

Supporter
Jul 5, 2014
✟116,025.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Eventually, but he wouldn't have worried about it ahead of time. Wouldn't have seen it coming any more than, say, your dog does.

I'll just stick with Genesis 2:17 for the time being , I have no problem with opinions as long as they're not to far off base or directly dispute the Word of God .. Adam died to God when he ate the forbidden fruit .. Genesis 3:22 seems to shed light on the subject but now it is moot and it is what it is ..

Upvote 0

4x4toy

Supporter
Jul 5, 2014
✟116,025.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Here's one example among millions credited to evolution = a giraffe has about 7 check valves in his neck to reduce deadly blood pressure to his head when he drinks water .. We also have self healing and immune systems created by God but the evolutionists always BELLY UP TO THE TROUGH to claim credit away from God .. So my question of why can't evolution solve the much simpler telomere problem would be valid to consider .. God tells us the reason for death , evolution doesn't .. I guess some folks can't see my point .. Darwin sucker punched God's people but we've gotten back up and have evolution on the run as it's theories are being shot down daily .. People on this site are still clinging to out dated theories proven wrong or highly improbable , "ever learning but never coming to the Truth"

Upvote 0