Does a Teacher's/Speaker's Personal Background Matter to You ?

A_Thinker

Site Supporter
Apr 23, 2004
Midwest
✟953,784.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
To open this up to non-singles ...

When you read a book or listen to a sermon/lecture--does it matter to you who the writer is or what the speaker's background might be?

Examples:

If the speaker had been guilty of murder without repentance--would that matter to you if you went to his or her sermon?

If the writer wrote a book on Jewish history--would it make a difference to you if he or she was also a Nazi?

If a lecturer gave a speech on marriage--would it matter if he or she had been divorced multiple times?

salt-n-light

Site Supporter
Aug 8, 2017
Rosedale
✟165,859.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Celibate

When you read a book or listen to a sermon/lecture--does it matter to you who the writer is or what the speaker's background might be?

Examples:

If the speaker had been guilty of murder without repentance--would that matter to you if you went to his or her sermon?

If the writer wrote a book on Jewish history--would it make a difference to you if he or she was also a Nazi?

If a lecturer gave a speech on marriage--would it matter if he or she had been divorced multiple times?

Yes, its gives me a better understanding of their theologies and outlooks and its influence of how they address certain topics. Now whether or not its worthy to go to listen, is another story. Example, if I wanted to hear from someone who knows about repentance, I'm not going to listen to someone who doesn't repent. If I'm interested in learning about how Jew has been a positive influence on society, it wouldn't make sense to listen to someone who has a negative outlook. If I'm seeking to grow more in Christ, I wouldn't go to listen to an atheist. I guess whether or not I go, would be based on what I'm looking for, and not necessarily on the abilities and worthiness of the person speaking.

But in terms of hearing accounts and mindsets, its always a learning opportunity, and I don't shy away from them, even if I don't agree with it. If I'm going to share the gospel, I have to learn to understand other people's POV and be patient to hear and have discussions accordingly.

Upvote 0

Sabertooth

Repartee Animal: Quipping the Saints!
Site Supporter
Jul 25, 2005
Wisconsin
Visit site
✟960,789.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Intuitively, their background should matter, but Proverbs & Ecclesiastes were written by an unrepentant King Solomon. Some even posit that he was a model for the anti-christ.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

jacks

Er Victus
Site Supporter
Jun 29, 2010
Northwest US
✟674,608.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I think it depends on what they are speaking about. If their background is relevant to the topic then it may matter. Otherwise I like to consider ideas I hear without knowing the speakers background, so I'm not influenced by it and can concentrate on the validity of their message.

Upvote 0

salt-n-light

Site Supporter
Aug 8, 2017
Rosedale
✟165,859.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Celibate
Intuitively, their background should matter, but Proverbs & Ecclesiastes were written by an unrepentant King Solomon. Some even posit that he was a model for the anti-christ.

He wasn't unrepentant while coming up with the proverbs. That brings up another thing, if their testament of God become void if they died in unrepentance. Would it make it any less worthy to read because of how he ended?

Upvote 0

Job3315

Apr 21, 2018
United States
✟89,540.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single

Examples:

I really do care. One of the hardest things for me has been getting advice about losing weight from a doctor who was badly overweight and ate fast food. It happened twice with different doctors. Also, I had a horrible experience where a man who was my training teacher when I was doing my teaching practice was convicted of child inappropriate contentography. I remember him teaching me about the importance of child safety and how the children should always come first. I also left two jobs because the people who trained me told me all the rules etc. and I saw them breaking the rules in many occasions. I couldn't handle it.

I have no problems with people who sinned but asked for forgiveness and then preach, teach or write books. I really forgive, but to know someone is preaching to me about sin while they are sinning, and then find out about it and after everyone knows then they ask for forgiveness... yeah thats too much for me.

Upvote 0

Sabertooth

Site Supporter
Jul 25, 2005
Wisconsin
Visit site
✟960,789.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
..., if their testament of God become void if they died in unrepentance. Would it make it any less worthy to read because of how he ended?
I am seeing parallels with Balaam. He had an accurate understanding of God, but his heart was in the wrong place.

Paul warned Timothy (in 2 Timothy 3:1-9),

"But know this, that in the last days perilous times will come: For men will be
lovers of themselves,
lovers of money,
boasters, proud, blasphemers,
disobedient to parents,
unthankful, unholy, unloving, unforgiving, slanderers,
without self-control, brutal,
despisers of good,
traitors, headstrong, haughty,
lovers of pleasure rather than lovers of God,

having a form of godliness but denying its power. And from such people turn away! For of this sort are those who creep into households and make captives of gullible women loaded down with sins, led away by various lusts, always learning and never able to come to the knowledge of the truth. Now as Jannes and Jambres resisted Moses, so do these also resist the truth: men of corrupt minds, disapproved concerning the faith; but they will progress no further, for their folly will be manifest to all, as theirs also was."

Upvote 0

A_Thinker

Site Supporter
Apr 23, 2004
Midwest
✟953,784.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
He wasn't unrepentant while coming up with the proverbs. That brings up another thing, if their testament of God become void if they died in unrepentance. Would it make it any less worthy to read because of how he ended?

Would you be at all skeptical of Judas, ... knowing what his end would be ?

P.S. Solomon had turned around by the end of Ecclesiastes ...

Ecclesiastes 12:1 Remember now thy Creator in the days of thy youth, while the evil days come not, nor the years draw nigh, when thou shalt say, I have no pleasure in them;

Ecclesiastes 12:13 Let us hear the conclusion of the whole matter: Fear God, and keep his commandments: for this is the whole duty of man.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Sabertooth

Site Supporter
Jul 25, 2005
Wisconsin
Visit site
✟960,789.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Solomon had turned around by the end of Ecclesiastes ...
But, apparently, he backslid after that when he brought all of the idols into or near the Temple.

Upvote 0

disciple Clint

Mar 26, 2018
Pacific Northwest
✟208,189.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
It is possible to learn from anyone but you have to not only have academic curiosity but also discernment. I never signed up for a class without checking out the bio on the professor and looking at the reviews of the books he or she had written. If I am going to let someone lead me I want to have some idea of where they have been as well as where they are going. Blessings

Upvote 0

dmmesdale

Site Supporter
Mar 6, 2017
Fargo
✟74,412.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Politics
CA-Conservatives

Examples:

Well, there is the Apostle Paul with his colorful background. Then there is blue collar Peter the fisherman.

Moses listened to the unsoliciated advice of his Midianite father in law. The judicial advice became part of Torah law. The Midianites were later, enemies of Israel.

The source does not matter if the information is correct or what we need to hear. If we are not improving then it is probably because others are not comfortable telling us what we need to hear.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Dave-W

Welcoming grandchild #7, Arturus Waggoner!
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2014
Maryland - just north of D.C.
Visit site
✟771,800.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
This is actually the fallacy of Bulverism. Ideas should be evaluated on their merits, not the background of the person espousing them. He may be a hypocrite, or evil, but it does not alter the validity or not, of what he says.
In Genesis 3, after the fall, Adam and Eve hid from God when He showed up to visit them. Adam's explanation was that they were naked. God immediately asked "Who told you that you were naked?" (Gen 3.11)

He did not challenge the veracity of the statement, but the source. Even the correct information from a bad source is not to be accepted.

• Informative
Reactions: Sabertooth
Upvote 0

dmmesdale

Site Supporter
Mar 6, 2017
Fargo
✟74,412.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Politics
CA-Conservatives
In Genesis 3, after the fall, Adam and Eve hid from God when He showed up to visit them. Adam's explanation was that they were naked. God immediately asked "Who told you that you were naked?" (Gen 3.11)

He did not challenge the veracity of the statement, but the source. Even the correct information from a bad source is not to be accepted.
Did God question Balaam's Donkey? Sounds pretty thin to me.

Upvote 0

Dave-W

Welcoming grandchild #7, Arturus Waggoner!
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2014
Maryland - just north of D.C.
Visit site
✟771,800.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Did God question Balaam's Donkey?
God spoke thru the donkey. Why would He question it?

Numbers 22:28
And the Lord opened the mouth of the donkey, and she said to Balaam, “What have I done to you, that you have struck me these three times?”

Upvote 0

dmmesdale

Site Supporter
Mar 6, 2017
Fargo
✟74,412.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Politics
CA-Conservatives
God spoke thru the donkey. Why would He question it?

Numbers 22:28
And the Lord opened the mouth of the donkey, and she said to Balaam, “What have I done to you, that you have struck me these three times?”
Still, your case is weak. It is not like God did not know what was going on with the serpent. That it took him all by surprise.

Upvote 0