Does a priest have authority to withhold forgiveness?

Devin P

Apr 16, 2017
Michigan
✟99,110.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Although, a priest (aside from Jesus) also has no authority to say that your sins have been forgiven either. His Spirit, Blood, and Word, are how we are forgiven. Being given His Spirit, repenting, and thereby being washed in His Blood, and then walking in accordance to His Word. That is how you will be forgiven. By doing what His Word says, and repenting from the way you lived before you read His Word.

Upvote 0

HTacianas

Jul 9, 2018
Florida
✟324,340.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
in confession does the priest have any authority to say to the penitent "Your sins are not forgiven"

Yes. It comes from the same authority to forgive.

Jhn 20:23 - “If you forgive the sins of any, they are forgiven them; if you retain the sins of any, they are retained.”

Upvote 0

Monk Brendan

Site Supporter
Jul 21, 2016
Phoenix, Arizona
Visit site
✟294,430.00
Country
United States
Faith
Melkite Catholic
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
in confession does the priest have any authority to say to the penitent "Your sins are not forgiven"
While these words may not necessarily be used, it sometimes happens that a priest will withhold absolution until the penitent brings forth fruit of repentance.

To give an extreme example, if someone came to a priest, and confessed committing an unsolved murder, the priest might wait to absolve until the person went to the police and surrendered.

Upvote 0

PloverWing

Episcopalian
May 5, 2012
New Jersey
✟335,136.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Short answer, yes. Longer answer: There's a sense in which all of our sins have already been forgiven by the work of Christ. But there's also a sense in which some sins haven't been properly dealt with until the penitent shows genuine remorse and repentance, which may include making amends or turning themselves into the police.

For example: If I were a priest, and a person said to me in confession: "I have sinned. I robbed a convenience store last night. Oh, and can we make this quick? I need to get to another convenience store tonight and rob it before it closes.", I would not pronounce absolution; this person has some more work to do before hearing words of forgiveness.

Reactions: HTacianas
Upvote 0

DamianWarS

Follower of Isa Al Masih
Site Supporter
May 15, 2008
✟858,457.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Short answer, yes. Longer answer: There's a sense in which all of our sins have already been forgiven by the work of Christ. But there's also a sense in which some sins haven't been properly dealt with until the penitent shows genuine remorse and repentance, which may include making amends or turning themselves into the police.

For example: If I were a priest, and a person said to me in confession: "I have sinned. I robbed a convenience store last night. Oh, and can we make this quick? I need to get to another convenience store tonight and rob it before it closes.", I would not pronounce absolution; this person has some more work to do before hearing words of forgiveness.

of course the key word in the op is "penitent"

• Friendly
Reactions: PloverWing
Upvote 0

chevyontheriver

Site Supporter
Sep 29, 2015
Flyoverland
✟1,234,759.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-American-Solidarity
The priest has the power, but can use it only if there is evidence that the penitent is impenitent. It is quite proper then to refuse to forgive until the penitent actually is penitent.

• Agree
Reactions: PloverWing
Upvote 0

DamianWarS

Follower of Isa Al Masih
Site Supporter
May 15, 2008
✟858,457.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
...the penitent is impenitent...
It seems "the penitent" is a misnomer in this context or simply a synonym for confessor, useful to identify the individual confessing but not useful to identify a true repentant heart or contrite spirit.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

PloverWing

Episcopalian
May 5, 2012
New Jersey
✟335,136.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
of course the key word in the op is "penitent"
Being penitent does need to go beyond just feeling bad; as a confessor, I'd want to see actions to put things right, if it was a serious sin that hurt another person. But I wouldn't see withholding absolution if the penitent has taken all the appropriate steps -- returned stolen goods, reported to the police if necessary, etc. This kind of judgment should be done on a case-by-case basis, by a wise priest who cares for the welfare of the penitent as well as the welfare of people who have been harmed by the sins in question.

Upvote 0

Tree of Life

Hide The Pain
Feb 15, 2013
✟48,147.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Married

Priests have no authority over God and God does not share his authority with priests. Since sins are against God, only God has authority to forgive them. And if God forgives someone's sins then a priest cannot prevent God from doing so.

Upvote 0

HTacianas

Jul 9, 2018
Florida
✟324,340.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Priests have no authority over God and God does not share his authority with priests. Since sins are against God, only God has authority to forgive them. And if God forgives someone's sins then a priest cannot prevent God from doing so.

It says differently in the bible.

Upvote 0

chevyontheriver

Site Supporter
Sep 29, 2015
Flyoverland
✟1,234,759.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-American-Solidarity
It seems "the penitent" is a misnomer in this context or simply a synonym for confessor, useful to identify the individual confessing but not useful to identify a true repentant or contrite spirit.
Well, it is assumed that the person doing the confessing is penitent. Thus often called the 'penitent'. Yes, a synonym, but usually true. Sometimes not the case, where a person is anything BUT penitent. Since penitence is required for restoration, the priest should put the confession on hold. And the 'confessor' is the priest hearing the confession, not the person, presumed but not always actually penitent, who is doing the confessing.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

chevyontheriver

Site Supporter
Sep 29, 2015
Flyoverland
✟1,234,759.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-American-Solidarity
No it doesn't.
Actually it does. Right there in black and white. Bible reading is funny that way. Many people can only see what they believe and not what's actually there.

Upvote 0

TuxAme

Quis ut Deus?
Site Supporter
Dec 16, 2017
Ohio
✟191,697.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Celibate
Scripture puts it plainly.

And when he had said this, he breathed on them, and said to them, “Receive the Holy Spirit. If you forgive the sins of any, they are forgiven; if you retain the sins of any, they are retained.”

Upvote 0

gordonhooker

Franciscan tssf
Site Supporter
Feb 5, 2012
Wellington Point, QLD
Visit site
✟274,602.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married

Ir most certainly can if the priest does not believe the person has not truly repented, or is not prepared to follow through with restitution.

Last edited:
Upvote 0