Does 1 John 5:7 belong in the Bible?

J

Jack Koons

Ted,

The following is an excerpt from your post (Post #104). Readers have the rest to read at their leisure; I simply want to address this point directly.

“Note that Jerome opens his preface by allowing that even in his day and among the manuscripts that he had to work with that there was evidently some that differed in various points. Note also that in the last words he gives testimony that he 'corrected' some passages that 'seemed' to convey a different meaning. Is this passage that we are discussing one of those? It is reasonably believed by many believers that the KJ translators adopted some copyist's notes into the body of the Scriptures and there could naturally be some who would also consider that this same thing may have happened with Jerome in his translating work.

I pray that you accept this discussion for what it is. I can neither, at this point, deny or confirm that the passage was in John's original epistle, but hopefully, as we continue to study there can be some light shed on the truth.

God bless you.
In Christ, Ted”

I would especially draw your attention to the words, “Is this passage that we are discussing one of those?” I (and others) believe there is reason to believe this is NOT one of those. Have you considered?

[bless and do not curse]"Just as these are properly understood and so translated faithfully by interpreters into Latin without leaving ambiguity for the readers nor [allowing] the variety of genres to conflict, especially in that text where we read the unity of the trinity is placed in the first letter of John, where much error has occurred at the hands of unfaithful translators contrary to the truth of faith, who have kept just the three words water, blood and spirit in this edition omitting mention of Father, Word and Spirit in which especially the catholic faith is strengthened and the unity of substance of Father, Son and Holy Spirit is attested.” - Jerome, Prologue to the Canonical Epistles, from the text of the prologue appended to Codex Fuldensis, Trans. T. Caldwell.

The above quote is also noted at:

Codex Fuldensis - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The following excerpt was taken from the above site:

“The 1 John text section omits the Comma Johanneum. However, the Vulgate Prologue to the Canonical Epistles includes a direct reference to the heavenly witnesses, with the Prologue written as a first-person note from Jerome to Eustocium. In this Prologue unfaithful translators are criticized for removal of the verse. The Prologue from about 1700 on had often been attacked as a late forgery, not really by Jerome, at the time the earliest known extant Vulgate with the Prologue was about 800 AD. The Prologue was noted to be in the Codex Fuldensis in the mid-to-late 1800s.”

Just because, someone attacks a document as a late forgery, (without proof) doesn't make it a forgery. Notice the same kind of language in the next quote:

"The mention of the threefold witness suggested to Christian students of a later day the Three Persons of the Trinity. And so, some time in the fourth century or toward the end of the third, a Spanish Christian, who wrote in Latin, formed a corresponding sentence: "There are three who bear record in heaven, the Father, the Word, and the Holy Spirit, and these three are one." Perhaps he wrote this on the margin of his copy of 1 John and some later copyist thought it was part of the text, but in any case these words were quoted as part of the Latin Bible in Spain at least as early as 380 A.D.,[bless and do not curse]on earth[bless and do not curse]being added to v. 8 to balance the insertion. This "gloss" spread, and finally became so universal in Latin-speaking Christianity that it was even translated into Greek and was added to a few very late Greek MSS. From these it found its way into printed editions, and so into the first English versions. But R.V. and A.S.V. rightly omit all mention of it, as it has no claim to be considered John's words."

The Abingdon Bible Commentary: First John, Ed. B.S. Easton, p. 1357

Where is the “evidence” for the above assertions? I have always been told to support everything I write with evidence. People may argue with the “evidence”, but at least it is provided.

How did Jerome mention the omission of the Comma by “unfaithful translators” from Greek into Latin, if 1) He had not known it to be in the Greek; 2) If he hadn't witnessed the result of unfaithful translators himself; and 3) How could he specifically mention the Comma's being in Greek, if it “originated' as a “gloss' in Latin?

Jack

Upvote 0
J

Jack Koons

Ted,

By the following excerpt from your post (Post #118) I find that you, (like others who refuse to look outside of the writings of Textual Criticism) do not take easily to anything said that goes against what you have been taught.

“I 'challenge' anyone reading these posts to support a claim that I have distracted in any way. I have merely offered up an answer to your original post and then as you answered what I offered up as evidence I countered your evidence with a subsequent post. Now, one might surely say, and I would be somewhat in agreement that we have beaten this dead horse long enough, but I'm a bit put off that you would call my responses to your posts a 'distraction'.”

You refuse to accept the fact that even Metzger understood that deception caused by a misrepresented story was wrong, and therefore made a correction in his own writing. Rather than accept that fact, you continue to dwell on proving it was not a misrepresentation of the actual facts; hence, that is a distraction from the true and important issue: where did the Comma originate?

The number one thing every textual critic mentions, even after a small discussion on 1 John 5:7, is to call the matter a “dead horse”. This matter is not a dead horse, not even close. If you truly want to know if John wrote the Comma, you must be willing to look beyond that offered to you by textual criticism.

Jack

Upvote 0
J

Jack Koons

I would like at this time to address the issue of MSS family types. If one looks very far into manuscript evidence, two families will quickly come to the surface. These two families are: The Alexandrian Family, and The Byzantine Family. This is one of the biggest arguments on this matter. Textual critics say that because the Greek MSS that are the oldest, they are therefore more reliable. I would like to offer the following site as some additional information one does not receive in a typical textual critic class. (By the way, this is not a KJV ONLY site.) The reason I am giving this site to review is because we are told by textual critics that the Alexandrian Texts are the superior texts; therefore, if any particular text is not in an Alexandrian Text, it probably shouldn't be in the Bible.

Textual Choices and Bible Versions

Now I would like to offer another site that actually compares different MSS to show how they agree with each other.

KJV Part 2 | Christian Assemblies International

The following excerpts are taken from the above site:

“We are not “KJV only” adherents, and do use other Bibles for study and clarification of difficult passages. However, we do firmly believe that the KJV is the BEST translation available in the English language and as such is the one we use on a day to day basis and in our meetings.”

“According to Kurt Aland, back in 1967 there were approximately 5,255 Greek manuscripts available. We shall COMPARE THE NUMBER of manuscripts that concur with the Byzantine texts (from which the KJV is based) in comparison to the Alexandrian text (which is only included to varying degrees in the modern translations) -
Of the 88 papyrus fragments, 75 are based on the Byzantine text, only 13 on the Alexandrian.
Of the 258 unical manuscripts, 249 are based in the Byzantine text, while only 9 on the corrupt Alexandrian.
Of the 2,764 cursive manuscripts, 2,741 are based on the Byzantine text, while only 23 on the Alexandrian!!!
Of the 2,143 lectionary manuscripts, 2,143 are based on the Byzantine, while ZERO are based on the Alexandrian!
In total - of the 5,255 Greek manuscripts, 5,210 are based on the Byzantine text and a mere 45 on the Alexandrian.”

Notice the reference above to the “2,143 (Greek) lectionary manuscripts”, all of which being based on Byzantine text.

List of New Testament lectionaries - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

If you take the time to count the listed Greek lectionaries on this page, you will notice that (at my count) 50 of them are unicals. Lectionary #2210 (a unical) dating back to the 6/7 th century AD. Lectionary #1604 (although not a unical) dates back to the 4th century AD.

The reason I am giving this information is simply this, when the majority of MSS agree in content (in each part that is recorded in each MSS) there must be credibility to this uniformity.

I want you to read the excerpts from this next site very carefully!

Reliability of the New Testament Text

“Although there is such an abundance of copies, we do not possess the orginal "autographs" of the NT manuscripts (though it is likely that we do have a couple of little pieces). --So, how do we accurately come up with the text? We do it by employing "Textual Criticism" : a branch of document study, which considers all the manuscripts available and works toward reproducing the words of the original documents as exactly as possible. When textual critics work toward reproducing the original text, the general criteria are : the older copies, which were more likely to be more directly from the originals, take priority and are preferred over more recent documents; copies (and sections of copies) which exhibit no deviation (or the lowest deviation) from the majority of the better texts, take priority over those which exhibit more deviation.
The "Codex Vaticanus" is considered to be the oldest and best Greek manuscript now in existence, which apparently comes from the year 325 AD. "Codex Sinaiticus" comes from about 350 AD, but it contains all of the New Testament. (These two manuscripts come from the "Alexandrian" text-type, which is the oldest and most consistent.) When these two old manuscripts agree word-for-word (especially when they're also verified by several other of the oldest and best papyrus copies), there is virtually[bless and do not curse]no doubt[bless and do not curse]that the[bless and do not curse]correct[bless and do not curse]wording of the original text has been reached.
This process of deducing the wording of the original text would be analogous to the following situation : ----- If the US Bureau of Standards had one (and only one) "yard-stick," made out of metal, which was the national standard of exactly one yard in length, but it was lost -----could we look at the lengths of yard-sticks across the country (copies of the standard) to reproduce another national-standard yard-stick which would be 99.9% accurate in length? Yes, we could, with a high degree of assurance, because we would consider wooden copies from paint-stores to be least reliable, moving right on up to metal copies in machine-shops as being probably be the most reliable and free from error. The better copies that all agree with one another would take priority over those with a slight degree of deviation in them. Copies with a higher amount of deviation from the vast majority, would be disregarded. ----In this way, we would assuredly be able to come up with a reproduction of the original standard that would be 99.99% accurate.
Textual Criticism of ancient copies is employed fairly much the same way, with the result that the Greek text of the NT which we have today is most assuredly almost an exact copy of the original NT manuscripts. Norman Geisler and William Nix remark that "Only 40 lines (or 400 words) of the New Testament are in doubt." ([bless and do not curse]General Introduction to the Bible, Geisler & Nix, Chicago: Moody, 1968, p.367).”

Immediately following the above paragraph is the following, written in a “box”.

“(Therefore,[bless and do not curse]NOTE:[bless and do not curse]Of those "40 lines" which are even a little bit in question,[bless and do not curse]75%[bless and do not curse]of those questionable lines come to about 300 words found in the last 12 verses of the Gospel of Mark 16. --So, if we leave Mark 16:9-20 out of our Bible-reading, very little is left in question at all. The remainder is about 99.8% accurate... and we know[bless and do not curse]exactly[bless and do not curse]which 100 words are in[bless and do not curse]any[bless and do not curse]question.”

I would now like you to take the time to review the information in the following site:
Comparison of codices Sinaiticus and Vaticanus - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The above site shows at least 300 differences between the Sinaiticus and Vaticanus in the Gospels alone. These are the MSS that are superior to the Byzantine MSS because they deviate less (from each other). Really?

It is because 1 John 5:7 is not in these MSS, that they are deemed, not credible. One again notice:

“According to Kurt Aland, back in 1967 there were approximately 5,255 Greek manuscripts available. We shall COMPARE THE NUMBER of manuscripts that concur with the Byzantine texts (from which the KJV is based) in comparison to the Alexandrian text (which is only included to varying degrees in the modern translations) -
Of the 88 papyrus fragments, 75 are based on the Byzantine text, only 13 on the Alexandrian.
Of the 258 unical manuscripts, 249 are based in the Byzantine text, while only 9 on the corrupt Alexandrian.
Of the 2,764 cursive manuscripts, 2,741 are based on the Byzantine text, while only 23 on the Alexandrian!!!
Of the 2,143 lectionary manuscripts, 2,143 are based on the Byzantine, while ZERO are based on the Alexandrian!
In total - of the 5,255 Greek manuscripts, 5,210 are based on the Byzantine text and a mere 45 on the Alexandrian.”

According to the evidence presented here, is the Alexandrian Text really the better text?

The Johannine Comma is in the Latin, which we will look at more in the future.

Jack

Upvote 0
J

Jack Koons

In this next excerpt from John Gill, I would like you to notice what he says about the origin of the 'dispute' of the Johannine Comma.

1 John 5:7 Commentary - John Gill's Exposition of the Bible

Please by all means, take time to read the entire commentary on 1 John 5:7 from Gill, he speaks much about witness to the Comma that textual critic do not take time to mention.

The following excerpt comes from the above site:

"And as to its being wanting in some Greek manuscripts, as the Alexandrian, and others, it need only be said, that it is to be found in many others; it is in an old British copy, and in the Complutensian edition, the compilers of which made use of various copies; and out of sixteen ancient copies of Robert Stephens's, nine of them had it: and as to its not being cited by some of the ancient fathers, this can be no sufficient proof of the spuriousness of it, since it might be in the original copy, though not in the copies used by them, through the carelessness or unfaithfulness of transcribers; or it might be in their copies, and yet not cited by them, they having Scriptures enough without it, to defend the doctrine of the Trinity, and the divinity of Christ: and yet, after all, certain it is, that it is cited by many of them; by Fulgentius F26, in the beginning of the "sixth" century, against the Arians, without any scruple or hesitation; and Jerom, as before observed, has it in his translation made in the latter end of the "fourth" century; and it is cited by Athanasius F1 about the year 350; and before him by Cyprian F2, in the middle, of the "third" century, about the year 250; and is referred to by Tertullian F3 about, the year 200; and which was within a "hundred" years, or little more, of the writing of the epistle; which may be enough to satisfy anyone of the genuineness of this passage; and besides, there never was any dispute about it till Erasmus left it out in the, first edition of his translation of the New Testament; and yet he himself, upon the credit of the old British copy before mentioned, put it into another edition of his translation. "

I find it very I interesting that Gill states, "and besides, there never was any dispute about it till Erasmus left it out in the, first edition of his translation of the New Testament; and yet he himself, upon the credit of the old British copy before mentioned, put it into another edition of his translation. "

Jack

Upvote 0

cubanito

Nov 16, 2005
Southeast Florida, US (Coral Gables near Miami)
✟4,071.00
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
OK, I am going to be leaving this thread only because it is at a level well above my capacity to digest without more time than I am willing to employ. I have only one point left in which I do very much disagree with Jack, and it is tangential.

I do not believe the current Greek manuscripts we have can give us a New testament that is "99.99%" accurate. Sorry, no way, 98% maybe, 99%, unlikely but, hey, maybe. 99.99% no way Jack, uh-uh, and I won't even consider it.

Of course, that in no way shakes my fundamentalist belief in the inerrancy of Scripture. Frankly if even 99.99% were true, there would still be some questions.

Very good thread, just too much for now.

JR

Upvote 0
J

Jack Koons

Well JR,

I'm sorry that this thread has gotten to the point where you think it is something of little revelance.

There have been several productions of the movie "The Ten Commandments". There is always one detail I look for, that they always get wrong. The bible says,
"21 And Moses stretched out his hand over the sea; and the LORD caused the sea to go back by a strong east wind all that night, and made the sea dry land, and the waters were divided.
22 And the children of Israel went into the midst of the sea upon the dry ground: and the waters were a wall unto them on their right hand, and on their left." Exodus 14

Notice in both of these verses it says, "dry". Verse 21 says dry land , and verse 22 says dry ground. The point is, it was dry. This is a "detail" that is just not that 'important' to most people. The fact however, is that they did indeed crossed the Red Sea on dry ground! It isn't just that God parted the Red Sea; He made it dry ground. God doesn't just take care of the big things; He takes care of the little things as well.

JR, you are an MD, and I'm quite sure details are important to you in your profession. 1 John 5:7 is a detail that can in fact be traced to the 2nd century with a little effort.

Thank you for your participation in this discussion.

Jack

Upvote 0

cubanito

Nov 16, 2005
✟4,071.00
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Jack, I have followed this thread for a while and have come to your defense even though I remain skeptical about your arguments. My bowing out is because I must prioritize my time, and at this point this is detail is not important enough to me to continue reading. In my profession, it is more important to know which details NOT to spend time on, than in getting each detail right. If I run a typical routine 100+ lab panel on a healthy patient with no complaints, by the average, ~5 of those results come back abnormal. With training and experience one learns what to ignore. Do I make mistakes? OF course, and every couple of years somebody dies because I goofed. Any MD that refuses to acknoledge they ever screw up is either a liar or stupid. Thus having learned quite a bit in this thread, I now take my leave because it is just too much for what I consider an unimportant detail.

As to Moses, you bring in a detail I have long known but there is a far more important detail that every movie and commentaries I have ever read get wrong. Unlike 1John 5:7 and the dryness of the ground (from the overnight wind, there is no dramatic parting of the waters) thess details actually have very important and fascinating theological implivcations.

1- Moses did not speak to Pharaoh, Aaron did, because initially Moses feared Pharaoh more than God at the burning bush. this is the first we see of the priesthood being separated from the political authorit, a strong leitmotif that comes back in such as Saul vs Samuel and many others. This is in fact a potent argument for separation of Churdch and State (not to the absurd degree of modern Western countries, but nevertheless, this is important and ignored often)

2- God, through Aaton, never ever asked Pharaoh to free the Israelites. To paraphrase "Let my people go THREE DAYS into the desert to sacrifice to me, and then they shall return [to their enslavement]" This is a truly fascinating detail with even greater implications.

Soon, God willing, I shall post about this in a new thread. It is totally tangential to this one, but I thought to answer your objections.

Lastly, I want you to know that where you lost credibility with me is when you claimed the texts we have can lead to 99.99% accuracy. I am too uneducated to even think of debating you on this. Please note: I am too uneducated, no aspersion cast on you.

However, in a totally obscurantist, know-nothing attitude, I believe you are wrong and will not even consider the possibility you might be right. Perhaps 1John 5:7 does belong in the Bible, I think you have proven the issue is not "a dead horse" at least you have to me. But the very fact it remains uncertain tells me the 99.99% figure is either hyperbole or just wrong. Again, it is my lack of time, education and willingness that causes me not even to engage you in that debate. It is no aspersion on you.

But you're wrong, because I say so.

JR, a legend in his own mind

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums
J

Jack Koons

In the following article, Randall Duane Hughes cites the late Dr. Bruce Metzger. Dr. Metzger states (his professional opinion) the origin of the Johannine Comma.

1 John 5:7

"Analysis of 1 John 5:7
in
A study of the
Text
of the
New Testament
©Copyright 2001 Randall Duane Hughes
The Comma Johannaeum"

"The NET Bible mentions the Textual Commentary on the Greek New Testament by Bruce Metzger, published first in 1971 and corrected in 1975. Here are the comments from it (pages 715-717):
"That these words are spurious and have no right to stand in the New Testament is certain in light of the following considerations.

(A) EXTERNAL EVIDENCE. (1) The passage is absent from every known Greek manuscript except four, and these contain the passage in what appears to be a translation from a late recession of the Latin Vulgate. These four manuscripts are ms. 61, a sixteenth century manuscript formerly at Oxford, now at Dublin; ms. 88, a twelfth century manuscript at Naples, which has the passage written in the margin by a modern hand; ms. 629, a fourteenth or fifteenth century manuscript in the Vatican; and ms. 635, an eleventh century manuscript which has the passage written in the margin by a seventeenth century hand.

(2) The passage is quoted by none of the Greek Fathers, who, had they known it, would most certainly have employed it in the Trinitarian controversies (Sabellian and Arian). Its first appearance in Greek is in the Greek version of the (Latin) Acts of the Lateran Council in 1215.

(3) The passage is absent from the manuscripts of all ancient versions (Syriac, Coptic, Armenian, Ethiopic, Arabic, Slavonic), except Latin; and it is not found (a) in the Old Latin in its early form (Tertullian, Cyprian, Augustine), or in the Vulgate (b) as issued by Jerome (codex Fuldensis [copied A.D. 541-46] and codex Amiatinus [copied before A.D. 716]) or (c) as revised by Alcuin (first hand of codex Vercellensis [ninth century]).

The earliest instance of the passage being quoted as a part of the actual text of the Epistle is in a fourth century Latin treatise entitled Liber Apologeticus(chap. 4), attributed either to the Spanish heretic Priscillian (died about 385) or to his follower Bishop Instantius. Apparently the gloss arose when the original passage was understood to symbolize the Trinity (through the mention of three witnesses; the Spirit, the water, and the blood), an interpretation which may have been written first as a marginal note that afterward found its way into the text. In the fifth century the gloss was quoted by Latin Fathers in North Africa and Italy as part of the text of the Epistle, and from the sixth century onwards it is found more and more frequently in manuscripts of the Old Latin and of the Vulgate. In these various witnesses the wording of the passage differs in several particulars. (For examples of other intrusions into the Latin text of 1 John, see 2.17; 4.3; 5.6; and 20.)"

I want to bring the following statement by Metzger to your attention:

"The earliest instance of the passage being quoted as a part of the actual text of the Epistle is in a fourth century Latin treatise entitled Liber Apologeticus(chap. 4), attributed either to the Spanish heretic Priscillian (died about 385) or to his follower Bishop Instantius. Apparently the gloss arose when the original passage was understood to symbolize the Trinity (through the mention of three witnesses; the Spirit, the water, and the blood), an interpretation which may have been written first as a marginal note that afterward found its way into the text."

One of the things that must be done is to make sure that everyone reading this thread understands all the 'terminology' used by the 'scholars', as well as the characters named along the way.

The name Priscillian has entered the story as the person who first quoted the disputed words of the Comma as 'scripture'. So in my normal fashion, I will try to bring you the facts. However, before doing that, I would like you to review points (1), (2), and (2) above and ask yourself if they look familiar?

Jack

Upvote 0
J

Jack Koons

I need to say some things here to allow the readers of this thread to understand what is happening. I call to your remembrance the name "Erasmus". If you recall, the textual critics are quick to mention that he was a Catholic. (That means he was a bad person.) The textual critics also go the extra 'mile' to inform us (even though the information is wrong) that 1 John 5:7 was included due to Erasmus being pressured by the Pope to include it. (Another insinuation that both Erasmus and the Comma are bad because of their affiliation to or with the Catholic Church.)

In my last post I showed where Metzger calls Priscillian a 'heretic'. The next question we must ask is, Who was it that declared Priscillian a heretic? It was Roman Carholics, and the Emperor Theodosius 1. Do you believe the teachings of the Catholic Church are scriptural? I for one, do not. That means they would label me a heretic as well. As a matter of fact, since this is a 'fundamentalist Christian' forum, I would dare say that the Catholic Church would declare all of us heretics!

So what is my point?

Textual critics use biased rhetoric in order to mislead readers into believing points that, while being historically true in an of themselves; are false actually put into the context of the subject as a whole.

In short, neither Erasmus or Priscillian were faithful to the Church of Rome; the real facts about these men are hidden from the public by textual critics in order to make us believe what they want us to believe.

In this case, they want us to believe both of these men were evil supporters of the Comma; Priscillian in the 4th century AD., and Erasmus in the 16th century AD.

Jack

Upvote 0
J

Jack Koons

In Post #131 I asked if the information presented by Dr. Bruce Metzger looked familiar? If you use the following three links, you will see that both Doug Kutilek, and Dr. Daniel Wallace are in all reality, doing nothing more than parroting the words of the late Dr. Bruce Metzger.

A Simple Outline regarding I John 5:7

https://bible.org/article/textual-problem-1-john-57-8

1 John 5:7

Since I have in fact already addressed the allegation made by Kutilek (while parroting Metzger), there is no need for me to make any additional comments at this time.

Jack

Upvote 0
J

Jack Koons

I would now like to offer a simple chronological outline in support of the Johannine Comma, along with some historical evidence.

In addition to the items covered by the outline, please consider the following; which are not included in the outline:

1) The Syriac Peshitta, (Dating as far back as 120-150AD.); and
2) Jerome's Latin Vulgate (New Testament Dating 390 AD.)

http://kjv.landmarkbiblebaptist.net/1John5-7Henry.html

The following excerpt is taken from the above site:

"1) Included in the 2nd century Old Latin Bible.
2) Old Latin MS r has the verse (AD 550).

3) Old Latin MS l has the verse.

4) Latin Vulgate from AD 800 on.

GREEK MANUSCRIPT EVIDENCE: There are at least 10 confirmed Greek MSS that contain the Comma.

1) 61 (late 15th century) (Aland's Text, 3rd edition, p. 824)

2) 629 (14th century) (Aland's, 3rd ed., p. 824)L3) 918 (Aland's; 3rd ed., p. 824)

4) 221 (Listed by Dr. D.A. Waite; Aland's, 3rd ed., p. 824)

5) 2318 (Listed by Dr. D.A. Waite; Aland's, 3rd ed., p. 824)

6) 634 (Listed as confirmed by Dr. D.A. Waite)

7) 636, margin (Aland's, 3rd ed., p. 824)

8) 88, margin, Codex Ravianus, 12th century (Aland's, 3rd ed., p. 824)

9) 429, margin (Aland's, 3rd ed., p. 824)

10) Omega 110 (Listed as confirmed by Dr. D.A. Waite)

11) 635, margin (Holland)

12) Codex Wizanburgensis (8th century) (Cloud)

13) Dr. Waite lists 10 other Greek MSS that are unconfirmed as yet.

GREEK LECTIONARIES (These contained extracts of the New Testanent):

1) Lectionary 60

2) Lectionary 173

WRITINGS AND CITATIONS BY CHURCH FATHERS AND OTHERS:

1) AD 170 - Old Syriac Version (G.A. Riplinger, p. 381)

2) AD 200 - Tertullian quotes the verse (Gill, "An exposition of the NT", Vol 2, pp. 907-8)

3) AD 250 - Cyprian, who writes, "And again concerning the Father and the Son and the Holy Spirit it is written: 'and the Three are One'" (Vienna, vol. iii, p. 215)

4) AD 385 - Priscillian cites the verse (Vienna, vol. xviii, p. 6)

5) AD 350 - Idacius Clarus cites the verse (MPL, vol. 62, col. 359)

6) AD 350 - Athanasius cites the verse (Gill)

7) AD 380 - Varimadum

8) AD 435 - Cassian

9) AD 427 - The Speculum, MS m, a treatise containing an Old Latin texts arranged by topic.

10) Sixth century - Ps-Athanasius

11) Eighth century - Ansbert

12) AD 750 - Wianburgensis cites the verse

13) 1200-1400 - Waldensian Bibles have the verse.

HISTORICAL EVIDENCE

1) The Waldenses (AD 120 on) of Northern Italy who protected the Old Latin or Italic Bible (AD 157) with their lives. These had the earliest of connections with the church in Asia Minor and Syria, and could easily verify their translation with the Received Text of those churches. (Which Bible, pp. 194-215) The "Comma" is in their Bibles. After an honest study of the history of the Waldenses it cannot be denied that they were the people of God. Their Apostolic connection, their doctrinal beliefs, their evangelization of Europe, and their stand for the Truth in the face of the greatest of persecution are all traits and proof that they were the true church of God in those dark days. They earnestly contended for the Faith, including 1 John 1:9. They translated the Word from their Latin Bibles into Gallic, Flimish, German, and other languages. (Armitage)

2) Arius, a presbyter of Alexandria (d. 336 AD) and pupil of Lucian of Antioch, denied the deity and eternality of Christ Jesus. The Greek or Eastern Church was completely given over to that heresy from the reign of Constantine to that of Theodosius the Elder, a span of at least forty years (c.340-381, to the convening of the fourth Council of Byzantium). Conversely, the Western Church remained uncorrupted by the Arian heresy during this period.…[W]ith the Arians in control of the Greek Church for the forty or so year span, Eusebius was able to suppress this passage in the edition that he revised which had the effect of removing the verse from the Greek texts. Thus the disputed verse was originally suppressed, not gradually introduced into the Latin translation. (Nolan, An Inquiry into the Integrity of the Greek Vulgate, pgs. 28-29, 293-306, 561)

3) Several orthodox African writers (AD 450-530) quote the verse when defending the doctrine of the Trinity against the gainsaying of the Vandals. After the Vandals over-ran the African provinces, their King (Hunnerich) summoned the bishops of the African Church and the adjacent isles to deliberate on the doctrine bound within the disputed passage. Between three to four hundred prelates attended the Council at Carthage while Eugenius, as bishop of that See, drew up the Confession of the orthodox in which the contested 7th verse is expressly quoted. That the entire African Church assembled in council should have concurred in quoting a verse which was not contained in the original text is altogether inconceivable. Such loudly proclaims that the 7th verse was part of its text from the beginning. These writers are:
A) Vigilius of Tapensis (AD 490) (MPL, vol. 62, col. 243)
B) Victor Vitensis (Vienna, vol. vii, p. 60)
C) Fulgentius (died 533)of Ruspe in N. Africa (MPL, vol. 65, col. 500)
D) Cassiodorus of Italy (AD 480-570).
E) Eugenius, Bishop of Carthage, in a confession of faith (AD 484)."

Jack

Upvote 0
J

Jack Koons

In the beginning of this thread I asked a simple question, Does 1 John 5:7 belong in the Bible? Along the way 'links' were provided that would show why the controversial Johannine Comma should not be in the Bible.

The following is a brief summary of what was presented:

1) All Greek MSS containing the Comma are of a late date.
Answer: By UBS standards, 95% of all Greek MSS not containing the Comma are of a late date; hence, 95% of the Greek MS evidence is disqualified.
(While the above statement against the Comma is true in and of itself, it is also misleading [at the very least] to withhold information that will shed an entirely different light on the subject when presented in a proper way.)

2) No Greek writer shows any knowledge of the Comma prior to 1215 AD.
Answer: False. Greek lectionaries #60 and #173 (both containing the Comma), predate 1215 AD.

3) The Comma is only quoted as Scripture in Latin after 450 AD.
Answer: False. Jerome stated that 'unfaithful translators' had left the John's words ((referring directly to the Comma) out of their translations from Greek into Latin. (This also gives witness by Jerome that the disputed words of John were in the earlier Greek MSS.)

4) There were no translations into other languages (one being the Syriac by name) between the 2nd and 10th centuries AD. containing the Comma.
Answer: False. The Syriac Peshitta can absolutely be dated to the 5th century AD., and has been dated by some authorities as far back as 120 AD.

5) Erasmus only included the Comma after promising to do so if even a single Greek MS containing the Comma could be found.
Answer: False. No such promise was made by Erasmus.

When all is said and done, the above five arguments are the 'so-called' reasons the textual critics remove the disputed words of 1 John 5:7 from modern Bibles.

It is my opinion that textual critics should be held accountable for their actions.

The evidence clearly shows that these disputed words were inspired by God, and written by John.

Jack

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

cubanito

Nov 16, 2005
✟4,071.00
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
JR,

You made some very good observations about the Exodus; the dry land is just my pet peeve! Best to you and yours,

No hard feelings,

Jack

HOW CAN THERE BE HARD FEELINGS BETWEEN THOSE WHO WALK THE SAME HARD GROUND BEING, AS PAUL STATES, BAPTIZED BY THE SPRINKLING WATERS OF THE RED (BLOODY) SEA?

What always surprizes and saddens me is when we brothers attack each other personally instead of respectfully discussing our differences. I am no ecumenalist, I am all for emphatically clear doctrine even on what I would consider minor details as any glance at my posts here would show. Yet can we not be disagreeable ESPECIALLY in matters that do not concern the very core of the Gospel? I find Biblical Inerrancy greatly important, yet my favorite extra-Biblical writer is CS Lewis, who was an evolutionist and thought that "real" history began with Abraham in the Bible. Yet for all his faults, Lewis understood the core of the Gospel and communicated it with a clarity to the lost I can not approach.

And you are of course, still wrong because I say so :>

JR

Upvote 0

Gospel Guy

Headed Home!
Aug 11, 2013
✟1,829.00
Faith
Word of Faith
Yes, it does!

The same Bible that says you can call upon Jesus and expect to be saved... says this about God which explains the Trinity.

If you do not believe this, then how can you possibly believe you can call upon Jesus and expect to be saved?

Are we now picking and choosing what scriptures we like and rejecting the ones we don't? Apparently modern Christianity equals buffet Christianity... just pick what'cha like, and throw the rest way!

Jesus ain't amused...

Upvote 0
J

Jack Koons

I would like to share with you a link that takes you to a site that looks at this issue from a very interesting perspective. Be sure to take time to read the entire article.

http://wcbible.org/documents/john578.pdf

The following excerpt is taken from the above site:

"

FEW TEXTS OF SCRIPTURE HAVE SPURRED AS much controversy as has 1 John 5:7–8. A portion of these verses has been dubbed the “Johannine Comma” (Latin comma Johanneum, “the phrase of John”). Here is how the verses read in the King James Version, with the bold words indicating the Comma:

7 For there are three that bear record in heaven, the Father, the Word, and the Holy Ghost: and these three are one.

8 And there are three that bear witness in earth, the Spirit, and the water, and the blood: and these three agree in one.

The issue, as many Christians are aware, is whether those words actually belong to the sacred text or should rather be rejected due to the lack of evidence of genuineness.

I want to approach this subject, however, from a little different direction than it is usually broached. To do so, I would first like to quote the following from a distinguished law professor at Rutgers University who explains “the prosecutor’s burden of proving guilt beyond a reasonable doubt”:

The defendant never has the burden of proving his innocence. The burden is entirely on the prosecutor, and if the prosecutor fails to carry that burden, an acquittal is required. The defense attorney may choose as a matter of trial strategy to convince the jury that the defendant is innocent, but it is equally appropriate simply to cast doubt on the prosecutor’s story so that the burden is not met.

Reasonable doubt is a much higher standard than the burden of proof elsewhere in the law. . . . Reasonable doubt is a doubt about guilt that remains after the jury has weighed all of the evidence and seriously1 considered the matter.

In other words, the standard of proof does not require that the prosecutor establish absolute certainty by eliminating all doubt, but it does require that the evidence be so conclusive that all reasonable doubts are removed from the mind of the ordinary person.

So what’s the point? Simply this: I want to approach this issue from the perspective of beyond a reasonable doubt. The “prosecutor” (modern textual critic) insists that the “defendant” (our text) is “guilty,” if you will, of being false and not belonging here. One argument, in fact, is that there was deliberate tampering by zealous copyists who forged manuscript evidence.

My purpose, therefore, is not to prove that the Johannine Comma is authentic (or that the accused copyists were innocent), because as the “defense attorney” I don’t have to do that. Rather, my purpose is to allow the critics to present their evidence and just see if they meet their burden of proof. Let us see whether they do indeed prove their case beyond a reasonable doubt or if it is at least possible that the Comma is genuine. As the great theologian Robert L. Dabney put it in 1891: “All the critics vote against it. But let us see whether the case is as clear as they would have it.”2

Before continuing, I want to interject that my purpose is not to turn this into a polemic for “King James Onlyism", for that is not my position on the textual issue.3 While I do defend the historic (and what I believe is the providentially preserved) text of the New Testament (i.e., Traditional or Ecclesiastical Text) instead of the modern Critical Text, that is not my purpose here. Nor is my purpose to attack said critics, for that is neither constructive nor Christian. I know that some TOTT readers embrace the Critical Text and the modern translations based on it, so I do not wish to offend or inflame. My only purpose is to examine this issue from what I hope is a fresh perspective.

If I may also interject, while some in the “Kings James Only” camp stoop to unfortunate name calling, some critics react by lumping everyone who defends the Comma into that camp. But there have been several very solid and brilliant men through the ages that have defended the Comma, such as: John Calvin, Francis Turretin, Matthew Henry, John Gill, Robert L. Dabney, Edward F. Hills, and others. To shrug off men such as those as being unscholarly or even fanatical simpletons, is not wise.

Let us now allow the prosecution to charge the defendant and present its evidence."

If you take the time to read the entire article; you may also want to take the time to check out the sources as well.

Pleasant reading!

Jack

Upvote 0