• Welcome to Christian Forums
  1. Welcome to Christian Forums, a forum to discuss Christianity in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

2. The forums in the Christian Congregations category are now open only to Christian members. Please review our current Faith Groups list for information on which faith groups are considered to be Christian faiths. Christian members please remember to read the Statement of Purpose threads for each forum within Christian Congregations before posting in the forum.
  3. Please note there is a new rule regarding the posting of videos. It reads, "Post a summary of the videos you post . An exception can be made for music videos.". Unless you are simply sharing music, please post a summary, or the gist, of the video you wish to share.
  4. There have been some changes in the Life Stages section involving the following forums: Roaring 20s, Terrific Thirties, Fabulous Forties, and Golden Eagles. They are changed to Gen Z, Millennials, Gen X, and Golden Eagles will have a slight change.
  5. CF Staff, Angels and Ambassadors; ask that you join us in praying for the world in this difficult time, asking our Holy Father to stop the spread of the virus, and for healing of all affected.
  6. We are no longer allowing posts or threads that deny the existence of Covid-19. Members have lost loved ones to this virus and are grieving. As a Christian site, we do not need to add to the pain of the loss by allowing posts that deny the existence of the virus that killed their loved one. Future post denying the Covid-19 existence, calling it a hoax, will be addressed via the warning system.

"Doctrine - What Christians Should Believe" by Mark Driscoll and Gerry Breshears

Discussion in 'Reformed Book Review Room' started by AndOne, Apr 25, 2010.

1. AndOne

AndOne Deliver me oh Lord, from evil men

+435
    United States
    Calvinist
    Married
    3 STARS out of 5 (this is my amazon review of the book)

This is definately not the best book out there that I've read on the subject of Christian doctrine - although I will say I did enjoy reading this book. It is definately written for the average layman and quite easy to understand - and despite its length is easy to get through in a reasonable amount of time. It's well organized and for the most part this book well documented.

There are some problems however which bear mentioning. Though it is a minor mistake the statement was made that Jesus is a direct decendant of Joseph - which is incorrect. If I recall correctly it was Judah.

Also there are two times that the theologian John Calvin is mentioned negatively and yet no detailed footnotes are provided to document from which writtings. On page 132 he is accused of claiming that the human soul alone "is the defining aspect of what it means to be human" - essentially putting him on the same ground as Hinuism and Sikhism. As someone who has read a lot of Calvin I have yet to come across this accusation in any of his teachings. There was no footnote provided to show where Calvin is perported to have taught this.

Calvin is also accused of interpreting the scriptural descriptions of hell as being metaphorical (pg 424-425) - yet the footnote only lists volume II of the institutes as a reference. Ah - Volume II is like 242 pages long - I would say this should be narrowed down a bit.

I'm a bit perplexed as to why this was done - Driscoll has made no apologies for the fact that he is Calvinist - so one would assume that some Calvinsts are going to read this book and question these claims regarding the teachings of Calvin. Personally I believe they are incorrect and the lack of documentation proves it.

Another issue I had with the book is the constant going to N.T. Wright as a good resource on the resurrection. I'm not going to go into why I think this is a bad idea - but anyone who is concerned with the doctrine of Justification will know what I'm talking about.

In closing I'll say that I do love Mark Driscoll and that I listen to every podcast I can get my hands on with him preaching. Despite the issues I have with the book - I think they are minor and this book is still worth reading - particularly chapters 6 - 9 which are incredible and the book is worth reading for these chapters alone. But - the sermon series of the same title (which you can get for free on iTunes) is much better.
    A better book to read and for use in small groups is Wayne Grudem's "Systematic Theology."

We teamed up with Faith Counseling. Can they help you today?
  2. Hammster

Hammster Safeism is the new religion. Staff Member Site Advisor Supporter

+21,328
    United States
    Reformed
    Married
    US-Libertarian
    I have issues, obviously, with N. T. Wright on justification. But he is cited by many as one of the leading authorities on the resurrection. Other than that, good review.

3. SatisfiedNHim

SatisfiedNHim Newbie

+1
    Non-Denom
    Married
    My sons (college age) read "Doctrine". Both told me that they felt like it didn't give enough explanation - in essence, it was too simple. I see Driscoll's reasoning in writing it that way though. The three of us are reading Grudem's "Systematic Theology" and we are loving it!

4. Renee Arisen

Renee Arisen Member

+41
    Christian
    Private
    x

Last edited: Feb 18, 2015