-
✟681,411.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
One does not need doctrines which are statements after the fact. It is g-d's love that brings people to him. Not statements of doctrine.
You and @Horation raised this question and @Clare73 and others opposed both of you. I think this is a matter of personality. Different people have different personalities and different gifts. The Apostle Paul describes different Christians as parts of the Body of Christ, where He is the Head. Even ancient secular writers tried to classify personality types and modern psychologists still do.

Most of us in these Forums like to analyze the Bible and the writings of Church Fathers and the Reformers. But reality is that majority of Christians who lived before invention of the printing press never had a Bible. And majority could not read and write anyway. Even today, majority of Christians would not read a theologically oriented book. I neither blame them nor blame people who do read. Different people have different personalities and different gifts.

Just think of prayer. What constitutes prayers? For some people, it is addressing long speeches to God. For others it is meditating silence in the presence of God. For others it is repeating a certain statement in His presence. For others it is reading the Bible and spiritual books and contemplating God's actions and promises. For others it is serving the poor. There is no way I can mention all types of prayer because there are as many types as there are people.

Doctrine is extremely important to some of us who feel that they can't follow someone they don't know. Think of Mary and Martha, sisters of Lazarus. Sometimes we tend to side with Mary for listening to Jesus and criticize Martha for cooking and serving. But Catholics have always realized that both approaches were important.

There is not one way to Jesus. He is the way and we try to follow Him based on our personalities and gifts. He knows our hearts. We don't know each other's hearts. So, let's not criticize one another.

Understanding the 4 Personality Types: A, B, C, and D | Hire Success®

Keirsey Temperament Assessment

Maria Billingsley

Site Supporter
Oct 7, 2018
Martinez
✟903,294.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
You and @Horation raised this question and @Clare73 and others opposed both of you. I think this is a matter of personality. Different people have different personalities and different gifts. The Apostle Paul describes different Christians as parts of the Body of Christ, where He is the Head. Even ancient secular writers tried to classify personality types and modern psychologists still do.

Most of us in these Forums like to analyze the Bible and the writings of Church Fathers and the Reformers. But reality is that majority of Christians who lived before invention of the printing press never had a Bible. And majority could not read and write anyway. Even today, majority of Christians would not read a theologically oriented book. I neither blame them nor blame people who do read. Different people have different personalities and different gifts.

Just think of prayer. What constitutes prayers? For some people, it is addressing long speeches to God. For others it is meditating silence in the presence of God. For others it is repeating a certain statement in His presence. For others it is reading the Bible and spiritual books and contemplating God's actions and promises. For others it is serving the poor. There is no way I can mention all types of prayer because there are as many types as there are people.

Doctrine is extremely important to some of us who feel that they can't follow someone they don't know. Think of Mary and Martha, sisters of Lazarus. Sometimes we tend to side with Mary for listening to Jesus and criticize Martha for cooking and serving. But Catholics have always realized that both approaches were important.

There is not one way to Jesus. He is the way and we try to follow Him based on our personalities and gifts. He knows our hearts. We don't know each other's hearts. So, let's not criticize one another.

I tend to fully agree. Our temperament, patience and nature has a direct influence on how we pray and seek God and His Kingdom. Blessings.

Reactions: Andrewn
Upvote 0

Mark Quayle

Monergist; and by reputation, Reformed Calvinist
Site Supporter
May 28, 2018
Pennsylvania
✟788,636.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Widowed

You have a point; none of us is quite right —not even the best, smartest, most learned among us. (In fact, some of such are the ones who are most successful at developing a system that is based on a wrong or overemphasized precept, which has sometimes led to madness or atrocities. But atrocities and such are not the only reasons to say that not every point of view/ favorite doctrine/ personal pursuit/ Biblical interpretation/ Biblical use/ concept of Godliness is equally valid.)

I love the fact that God uses all the 'wrong ways', all the 'weak' and 'mundane' ways to accomplish his perfect plan. I thank God for even the fakers and deceived, whom God uses to bring people to himself. But such people, and their doctrines, and other bad doctrines attended to by otherwise 'good' people, are also used by Satan for bad purposes and to deceive God's people, and to stunt their growth, and to generally propagate falsehood, and to bring shame to the name of Christ.

There is a time to criticize others, and not just their doctrines, either. Paul opposed Peter to his face! Peter was very badly wrong, and it was not just his thinking that needed corrected (....may I say, he was 'sinning' to kiss up to the crowd he was with?)

Not many New Testament writers (and OT, too) have nice things to say about False Teachers.

Upvote 0

Pavel Mosko

Arch-Dude of the Apostolic
Site Supporter
Oct 4, 2016
Boyertown, PA.
✟768,575.00
Country
United States
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
That a really interesting breakdown of the Myers Briggs. I find it funny that might type, INTJ is listed a socializer. While that might be true with me personally on the internet, typically that type is always talked about what independent thinkers and loners they are. This all reminds me a thread I had a year or so. Well can't find it but had my favorite Myers' Briggs humor from this guy.

Reactions: Andrewn
Upvote 0

Andrewn

CF Ambassadors
Site Supporter
Jul 4, 2019
-
✟681,411.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
But such people, and their doctrines, and other bad doctrines attended to by otherwise 'good' people, are also used by Satan for bad purposes and to deceive God's people, and to stunt their growth, and to generally propagate falsehood, and to bring shame to the name of Christ.

There is a time to criticize others, and not just their doctrines, either. Paul opposed Peter to his face! Peter was very badly wrong, and it was not just his thinking that needed corrected (....may I say, he was 'sinning' to kiss up to the crowd he was with?)

Not many New Testament writers (and OT, too) have nice things to say about False Teachers.
You're definitely right. Bad doctrine should be criticized because:

a) It results in bad behavior as in Cephas case and other historical cased with disastrous consequences like the Inquisition and witch hunts.

b) It can tarnish our understanding of God by showing Him to be unloving, etc.

You may also think of other reasons that doctrine is very important.

But I think doctrine is not as important for all Christians. Some people just follow their leaders / pastors without questioning. Even when they don't follow the rules, they still believe the rules should be followed. I'm frequently baffled at Bible studies when people do not question things that they clearly do not understand. But that is their nature. If they hear something from a "pastor" they don't question it.

Last edited:
  • Agree
Reactions: Mark Quayle
Upvote 0

Andrewn

CF Ambassadors
Site Supporter
Jul 4, 2019
-
✟681,411.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
That a really interesting breakdown of the Myers Briggs. I find it funny that might type, INTJ is listed a socializer. While that might be true with me personally on the internet, typically that type is always talked about what independent thinkers and loners they are.
Hire Success website is certainly wrong. It correlates INTJ with the Artisan temperament. Keirsey, OTOH, correlates INTJ with the Rational temperament. It is anything but a socializer :).

These are very different temperaments.

Key INTJ Characteristics
  • INTJs tend to be introverted and prefer to work alone.
  • INTJs look at the big picture and like to focus on abstract information rather than concrete details.
  • INTJs place greater emphasis on logic and objective information rather than subjective emotions.
  • INTJs like their world to feel controlled and ordered so they prefer to make plans well in advance.
What do you think the Apostle Paul's type should be?

Last edited:
Upvote 0