Doctrine of the Knowledge of God?!

Gregory Thompson

Change is inevitable, feel free to spare some.
Site Supporter
Dec 20, 2009
Canada
✟722,927.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Married
What are your thoughts on the doctrine of the Knowledge of God, as taught in the above video? I would love to hear your insights.

God is a person and wants a relationship with other people touches on something that appeals to trinitarianism, if people do not see God as person they can know, then seeing a triune God would be infinitely more difficult.

Revealing himself in a personal way, this is fairly distinct, God revealing himself to all christians in a personal way, may contribute to the reason for the many theologies out there.

We are finite, God is infinite, God always reveals himself - Also contributes to why there is a variance in theologies as God may reveal an aspect of himself to me, and a different to you based on our finite natures.

God reveals himself through creation and through the holy spirit for believers - this relates to the relational aspect of God's person.

Mystery - due to our finite natures, there is some parts of God we do not have insight into because God did not reveal it to us.

The only thing I would add is, when we are born again, we are given God's nature, so through ministry and life we learn things about God as he works with us in those things.

Reactions: Dusty Dahlin
Upvote 0

fhansen

Oldbie
Sep 3, 2011
✟323,628.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
What are your thoughts on the doctrine of the Knowledge of God, as taught in the above video? I would love to hear your insights.
This was good-I was a bit surprised. From Scripture and preaching and teaching we learn about God, and we can also determine some aspects of His existence and character with the use of reason. But to come to know God, which is what our faith is all about, to know Him directly and personally, grace is required; He must reveal Himself to us because He’s beyond our ability to fathom with our natural faculties. And this revealing is exactly what Jesus came to accomplish. "All things have been committed to me by my Father. No one knows the Son except the Father, and no one knows the Father except the Son and those to whom the Son chooses to reveal him.” Matt: 27

And yet as the video says, God will always be infinitely beyond us; we can know only what He gives us to know, as a gift, and when that's fully realized, in the next life, it’s more than enough to secure immediate, ineffable and total peace, joy, and happiness within a human being, incidentally. And God can, in rare instances as I understand it, give "glimpses" of this immediate vision, this revelation, even in the here and now, as He deems appropriate for His purposes. Anyway, as we come to know the true God, we’re reconciled with Him. And the more we know Him the more we love Him; it cannot be helped. Our faith, itself, is the beginning of that gift of knowledge.

Last edited:
  • Friendly
Reactions: Dusty Dahlin
Upvote 0