• The General Mental Health Forum is now a Read Only Forum. As we had two large areas making it difficult for many to find, we decided to combine the Mental Health & the Recovery sections of the forum into Mental Health & Recovery as a whole. Physical Health still remains as it's own area within the entire Recovery area.

If you are having struggles, need support in a particular area that you aren't finding a specific recovery area forum, you may find the General Struggles forum a great place to post. Any any that is related to emotions, self-esteem, insomnia, anger, relationship dynamics due to mental health and recovery and other issues that don't fit better in another forum would be examples of topics that might go there.

If you have spiritual issues related to a mental health and recovery issue, please use the Recovery Related Spiritual Advice forum. This forum is designed to be like Christian Advice, only for recovery type of issues. Recovery being like a family in many ways, allows us to support one another together. May you be blessed today and each day.

Kristen.NewCreation and FreeinChrist

Doctors have stopped believing that 'chemical imbalance' causes depression. They didn't tell us

Carl Emerson

Dec 18, 2017
Auckland
✟379,130.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
My apologies if I am dense. What is this post supposed to elicit? Understanding of what? What is the intent?
We have to be more clear and intentional in a mental health thread so as not to provide mixed messages.

Peace and Blessings

Well I guess that a prevailing attitude is that mental health issues are beyond the scope of prayer and ministry.

However, for the believer, the go to place with any personal challenge should first be to God - then see how He leads regarding addressing the issue.

In some cases, the option of seeking Christian ministry is not even considered and often the default outcome is a life of dependency on medication.

As a first step I would suggest finding a loving fellowship in which the gifts operate in an orderly manner and the church leaders have a good track record. Then request for the elders to pray with you, given that this is a biblical directive.

To be fair - my journey to healing came at a time when the local churches were unusually empowered to deal with whatever life had dealt folks.

But if more folks showed up to the church leadership before seeking secular council and the latest advice on how to cope, who knows how many more would be able to share testimonies like mine.

In all this, each should be free to choose the path to addressing their condition and be confident before God. He is the go to Father who knows what is best for us.

The caution that has to be stated is that, in our country anyway, billions are poured into mental health initiatives and the outcomes are poor at best.

When there is a spiritual factor propelling the issue, secular science lacks the tools to deal with the condition.

For this reason, I am hearing of Christian psychiatrists leaving the profession so as to be free to pray with, and counsel folks whose challenges are clearly spiritual.

Sorry for any mixed messages, this was not my intent.

Love you all,

Last edited:
Reactions: TPop
Upvote 0

TPop

Nov 2, 2023
FL
✟18,452.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
Well I guess that a prevailing attitude is that mental health issues are beyond the scope of prayer and ministry.

However, for the believer, the go to place with any personal challenge should first be to God - then see how He leads regarding addressing the issue.

In some cases, the option of seeking Christian ministry is not even considered and often the default outcome is a life of dependency on medication.

As a first step I would suggest finding a loving fellowship in which the gifts operate in an orderly manner and the church leaders have a good track record. Then request for the elders to pray with you, given that this is a biblical directive.

To be fair - my journey to healing came at a time when the local churches were unusually empowered to deal with whatever life had dealt folks.

But if more folks showed up to the church leadership before seeking secular council and the latest advice on how to cope, who knows how many more would be able to share testimonies like mine.

In all this, each should be free to choose the path to addressing their condition and be confident before God. He is the go to Father who knows what is best for us.

The caution that has to be stated is that, in our country anyway, billions are poured into mental health initiatives and the outcomes are poor at best.

When there is a spiritual factor propelling the issue, secular science lacks the tools to deal with the condition.

For this reason, I am hearing of Christian psychiatrists leaving the profession so as to be free to pray with, and counsel folks whose challenges are clearly spiritual.

Sorry for any mixed messages, this was not my intent.

Love you all,

I agree! And there is still more on top of what you say as well as more warnings. I try to share them myself.

There are 2 or more major audiences. Secular and Scriptural. Me, I can't do the former without the latter. Some do a disservice to themselves by only doing the latter. Or worse, their spouse will not allow them to seek out any of the former.

Go to God first. Pray. Ask for forgiveness of all sins.
Don't do Communion when you are not right with God.

Be careful of Christian Counseling. Counselors are not therapists, they do not have the education, the training, or the ethics drilled into them. Becoming a 'counselor' is really quite easy. Becoming a therapist is not.

Psychiatry for Rx's
Psychologists for Testing
Social Workers for Therapy

Seek until you find the Psychiatrist, Psychologist, or Therapist that best works with the person.
Same with medication if one decides to go that route.

Don't give up. We kick the tires of many cars before buying, we look at dozens of houses before purchasing, we consider multiple school and university options. Do the same when getting help.

When you can, find a good strong Christian Therapist for good quality therapy.

Avoid your Pastors, Deacons, and church counselors for much more than scriptural direction.

Peace and Blessings

Upvote 0