Do Your Parents Help You, Even though You're An Adult?

NiobiumTragedy

Glorious Tragedy
Jun 15, 2009
USA
✟17,652.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
It's actually not that uncommon anymore for young adults to be moving back in with their parents anymore after uni and on through their 20's. Times are tough and it's becoming harder and harder to establish a stable life starting out.

You gotta do what you gotta do to get by.

Upvote 0

J.B.

Apr 9, 2010
California
✟8,052.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
Yes, my parents help me tremendously. I couldn't have handled a whole lot without their assistance, even in recent years. I'm 22 and supposed to be a responsible adult, but I realize that in situations I need the advice and wisdom of the more experienced, I try to use it whenever I can.

Upvote 0

Damascus

I come to the garden alone.
Jan 15, 2012
West Virginia
✟15,141.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Libertarian
If it weren't for my folks, I'd be in a bad way. I remember at various points in my life my grandparents helping my Mom with raising my brother and I, I can think of plenty of times she has helped me, and I'm sure that I'll be helping my kids one of these days. Recently I was laid off from work and had to pull some favors, I find no shame in that. Times are hard and we do what we have to do. I just try to remember to pay it forward and help others out when I'm truly capable of doing so, that way I don't feel like a mooch.

Upvote 0

davidn87

Jan 17, 2012
Kirkintilloch, Scotland
✟15,139.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
If it wasn't for my parents I'd have nowhere to live, the benefit money I get is very far from what I'd need to live on my own. I'm unemployed right now, only get the occasional paid job and they are always temporary contracts. I went from November 2008 til July 2011 before I got work! I did have a temporary work placement in December 2010 but it was unpaid for Foulah four weeks I was there. I've done five of those placements now and getting pretty sick of working for no pay. But this is getting way off topic I guess...

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

AndrewZinc

Oct 1, 2011
Glasgow, Scotland, UK
✟15,526.00
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Single
Mine haven't thrown me out yet! And they charge a very competitive amount of rent.

I went to university and now work in my home city and so financially it makes no sense to move out. I am able to save money at the moment as well as give more to God; if I moved out, most of my earnings would be paying bills.

Not that I don't get irritated by them sometimes, but that is family life. I am proud to have them as my parents and count my wee brother as a good friend. :)

Upvote 0
Jan 31, 2012
Japan
✟7,642.00
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
UK-Conservative
I'm a fan of the verse where it talks about being with your parents until you're joined with a husband/wife. Then after that it's as much involvement until you and your spouse feel comfortable with and what kind of help you need, and of course what kind of help they can give you.

My parents have been amazing, not just with the occasional help with money but support and just a friendly ear when i've needed it. I fully expect some involvement from them when I have my own kids because I value my own upbringing.

Even now i'm living in Japan (coming to and end of my 6month stay), they're always happy to hear from me, I love getting emails from them and having a chat with them just reconnects me with life at home.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

liars_paradox

Jun 8, 2009
North Carolina
✟9,505.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
I'd be living with my parents a long time then... ^_^

LOL. I like how your Japanese smile emoticon was rendered as a laughing face. That's pretty awesome.

But, I hear you. The same would apply to me if that verse was to be taken literally.

Upvote 0

liars_paradox

Jun 8, 2009
North Carolina
✟9,505.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
I'm a fan of the verse where it talks about being with your parents until you're joined with a husband/wife. Then after that it's as much involvement until you and your spouse feel comfortable with and what kind of help you need, and of course what kind of help they can give you.

My parents have been amazing, not just with the occasional help with money but support and just a friendly ear when i've needed it. I fully expect some involvement from them when I have my own kids because I value my own upbringing.

Even now i'm living in Japan (coming to and end of my 6month stay), they're always happy to hear from me, I love getting emails from them and having a chat with them just reconnects me with life at home.

Can you tell us where to find that verse? I actually don't know where it is.

Upvote 0

Grace51

Oct 17, 2010
✟1,166.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
This is what I'm wondering, because I've been thinking about my situation and have been comparing it to that of others.

financially yes. even though i have enough income. hence the reason why i am not as resp with my finance as i should. i think they should help me less.

Upvote 0