Apr 26, 2014
✟66,544.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Doesn't help me. I'm a sinner. Does it help you?

Yes sir, it does. If I walk in the path of righteousness, I will find life.

Proverbs 12:28
In the way of righteousness is life, and in its pathway there is no death.

Upvote 0

jimmyjimmy

Pardoned Rebel
Site Supporter
Jan 2, 2015
USA
✟234,973.00
Country
United States
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Married
Yes sir, it does. If I walk in the path of righteousness, I will find life.

Proverbs 12:28
In the way of righteousness is life, and in its pathway there is no death.

All the best with that.

I look to Christ for for my righteousness.

"And because of him you are in Christ Jesus, who became to us wisdom from God, righteousness and sanctification and redemption," (1 Corinthians 1:30)

Upvote 0

Hammster

Psalm 144:1
Christian Forums Staff
Site Advisor
Site Supporter
Apr 5, 2007
New Jerusalem
Visit site
✟1,726,704.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Married
All the best with that.

"And because of him you are in Christ Jesus, who became to us wisdom from God, righteousness and sanctification and redemption," (1 Corinthians 1:30)
Paul wrote that, so it doesn't count.

• Haha
Reactions: JCFantasy23
Upvote 0

EmSw

White Horse Rider
Apr 26, 2014
✟66,544.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
All the best with that.

1 John 3:7
Little children, let no one deceive you. He who practices righteousness is righteous, just as He is righteous.

You are only righteous as He is when you practice righteousness.

Upvote 0

amariselle

Jesus Never Fails
Sep 28, 2004
The Great Northern Wilderness
✟60,500.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Conservatives
But God does not justify the wicked.

Exodus 23:7
Keep yourself far from a false matter; do not kill the innocent and righteous. For I will not justify the wicked.

Proverbs 11:20
Those who are of a perverse heart are an abomination to the Lord, But the blameless in their ways are His delight.

"What shall we say then that Abraham our father, as pertaining to the flesh, hath found?

For if Abraham were justified by works, he hath whereof to glory; but not before God.

For what saith the scripture? Abraham believed God, and it was counted unto him for righteousness.

Now to him that worketh is the reward not reckoned of grace, but of debt.

But to him that worketh not, but believeth on him that justifieth the ungodly, his faith is counted for righteousness.

Even as David also describeth the blessedness of the man, unto whom God imputeth righteousness without works,

Saying, Blessed are they whose iniquities are forgiven, and whose sins are covered." - Romans 4:1-7

We are not under the Law but under grace.

Upvote 0

EmSw

White Horse Rider
Apr 26, 2014
✟66,544.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
"What shall we say then that Abraham our father, as pertaining to the flesh, hath found?

For if Abraham were justified by works, he hath whereof to glory; but not before God.

For what saith the scripture? Abraham believed God, and it was counted unto him for righteousness.

Now to him that worketh is the reward not reckoned of grace, but of debt.

But to him that worketh not, but believeth on him that justifieth the ungodly, his faith is counted for righteousness.

Even as David also describeth the blessedness of the man, unto whom God imputeth righteousness without works,

Saying, Blessed are they whose iniquities are forgiven, and whose sins are covered." - Romans 4:1-7

We are not under the Law but under grace.

Where does David say 'without works'?

Paul said He justifies the ungodly; God says He doesn't. Who will you believe?

Upvote 0

amariselle

Jesus Never Fails
Sep 28, 2004
The Great Northern Wilderness
✟60,500.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Conservatives
Those that do their best in having a faithful obedience to God's word are the ones that receive grace.

Doing nothing = no grace received.

Unfortunately, this is not Biblical. Our "best" is simply not good enough. God's standard is absolute perfection, which is why we need Christ's righteousness to be saved.

Verse after verse confirms this. We are saved by grace (unmerited favour) through faith, not of works, lest any man should boast.

Ephesians 2:8-9

"6 And if by grace, then is it no more of works: otherwise grace is no more grace. But if it be of works, then it is no more grace: otherwise work is no more work." - Romans 11:6

Also read Romans 3 and Galatians 5

God bless.

• Agree
Reactions: jimmyjimmy
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Tree of Life

Hide The Pain
Feb 15, 2013
✟48,077.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Married
Do Your Best, and Jesus Makes Up For the Rest

Does the above sentence accurately describe how a person is made right with God, i.e., justified. Does our standing before God work in this way?

No. If my wicked works are not credited to me, then none of my works are credited to me. All of my works, whether they be entirely sinful or some mixture of sin and goodness, are credited to Jesus and he bears the curse for them on the cross.

Only the perfect righteousness of Jesus is credited to my account. My works contribute not one inch toward my justification.

Upvote 0

EmSw

White Horse Rider
Apr 26, 2014
✟66,544.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
No. If my wicked works are not credited to me, then none of my works are credited to me. All of my works, whether they be entirely sinful or some mixture of sin and goodness, are credited to Jesus and he bears the curse for them on the cross.

Only the perfect righteousness of Jesus is credited to my account. My works contribute not one inch toward my justification.

Wow, you must have missed this passage -

James 2:24
You see then that a man is justified by works, and not by faith only.

Upvote 0

Tree of Life

Hide The Pain
Feb 15, 2013
✟48,077.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Married
Wow, you must have missed this passage -

James 2:24
You see then that a man is justified by works, and not by faith only.
I've taught on that passage in considerable depth. It doesn't mean what you're suggesting.

Reactions: amariselle
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

EmSw

White Horse Rider
Apr 26, 2014
✟66,544.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
I understand it very well. The part that you don't understand is what James means by "faith only".

Well, well, I guess it takes a Theological Degree from 7 seminaries, fluency in Greek and Hebrew, and a high I.Q to understand what 'faith only' means.

Upvote 0

Tree of Life

Hide The Pain
Feb 15, 2013
✟48,077.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Married
Um... there is no "only" in Christianity.

Uno Christanos es no Christanos.

Forgive me...

There is only one true God. There is only one way to the Father. There is only one gospel. We are to worship God alone. I could go on...

Upvote 0

EmSw

White Horse Rider
Apr 26, 2014
✟66,544.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
It does take a little bit of study.

What are you trying to get at? 'Faith only' means faith by itself, faith separated from works.

Jame says we are justified by works, not faith by itself. One would have to study hard for it to mean something other than what James said.

Upvote 0