• Welcome to Christian Forums
  1. Welcome to Christian Forums, a forum to discuss Christianity in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

2. The forums in the Christian Congregations category are now open only to Christian members. Please review our current Faith Groups list for information on which faith groups are considered to be Christian faiths. Christian members please remember to read the Statement of Purpose threads for each forum within Christian Congregations before posting in the forum.

Featured Do you write in your Bible?

Discussion in 'Christian Advice' started by ChicanaRose, Apr 23, 2019.

1. ChicanaRose

ChicanaRose Active Member

+331
    United States
    Christian
    Private
    Do you write in, highlight, or mark your Bible? If so, how has it been helpful?

Do you use a certain color coding system?

Do you have a sample page you would like to show us?

We teamed up with Faith Counseling. Can they help you today?
  2. Tigger45

Tigger45 “That they may be one.” Supporter

+6,846
    United States
    Christian
    Married
    US-Constitution
    I have several bibles one of which I’ve designated to make notes in.

3. crossnote

crossnote Berean Supporter

+801
    United States
    Christian
    Married
    US-Others
    Nope but my wife underlines, journals, designs etc. I will highlight in the electronic Bibles though... if they permit.

Last edited: Apr 24, 2019
  4. HTacianas

HTacianas Well-Known Member

+4,029
    United States
    Eastern Orthodox
    Single
    I used to. But honestly I haven't used a paper bible in probably fifteen years. I have all of these keywords stuck in my head I use for word searches whenever I need to look something up. And the keywords are from the KJV.

• Like Like x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
    • List
  5. Phil W

Phil W Active Member

+71
    United States
    Christian
    Single
    Yes, I do.
    I have used bright yellow markers to hi-light all the verses that deal with water baptism and bright orange for all the verses that deal with sinless perfection.
    That way, when I am showing someone a verse I can quickly flip the pages till I see a colored verse without actually trying to read the chapter and verses concisely.
    It really speeds up a presentation.
    After I have worn out a bible, the first thing I do is transfer all the colored and underlined parts to my new bible.

• Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • List
  6. Ttalkkugjil

Ttalkkugjil Spiritual Director

+872
    Korea, Republic Of
    Christian
    Married
    CA-Conservatives
    No, I don't. I mostly read the Bible online these days anyway.

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • List
  7. Tigger45

Tigger45 “That they may be one.” Supporter

+6,846
    United States
    Christian
    Married
    US-Constitution
    Plus if you use indelible ink on your computer screen it makes it real tough to use for anything else :sorry:

Last edited: Apr 23, 2019
    • Funny Funny x 7
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  8. Phil W

Phil W Active Member

+71
    United States
    Christian
    Single
    I prefer the paper standard.
    When I am eating out, or standing in line somewhere, anyone looking on can tell that I regard God's word seriously, sometimes starting conversations with those who comment.
    That is how I came to the Lord...when I saw a man sitting in a stair-well studying his bible and I asked him about it.

• Like Like x 4
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
    • List
  9. maintenance man

maintenance man Well-Known Member Supporter

+901
    United States
    Non-Denom
    Married
    I have a pastor who often tells us to underline certain words as he's preaching. I don't. I like the Bible I take to church to be untouched. I do have a study Bible at home in which I've underlined verses that had an impact on me. These are helpful when I'm looking for a favorite verse I can't quite remember. But what happens with me is that each time I read a book new verses get underlined. Eventually, I think, most of the book would be underlined if I kept going. So I don't underline anymore.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  10. Jonathan Mathews

Jonathan Mathews Well-Known Member

+427
    Christian
    Single
    Not usually. Once I wrote some revelation I thought I had in the pages of Revelation, but then I read Revelation 22:18 "I warn everyone who hears the words of the prophecy of this book: if anyone adds to them, God will add to him the plagues described in this book." I was so convicted with the Fear of the Lord, I scribbled out my own words. LOL

11. Heavenhome

Heavenhome Well-Known Member

+1,317
    Australia
    Christian
    Single
    I used to but found now that it can distract me from the flow when I am reading plus all of it is important.

I still have my Bible of course that is marked but use my unmarked one to read daily.
    I know lots like using devices, but give me my Bible in print form ALWAYS!
    Same goes for books.;)

Everyone has their preferred way, the most important thing is that we read it.

• Winner Winner x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  12. Strathos

Strathos No one important

+2,722
    Christian
    Single
    US-Democrat
    No. I never actually considered doing that. Probably because at a young age I was taught never to deface/vandalize books. My parents were very strict about that.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 2
    • List
  13. Loyce KG

Loyce KG Everyone MUST hear the gospel of Christ!

+379
    Uganda
    Pentecostal
    Single

14. Citanul

Citanul Well, when exactly do you mean?

+2,103
    South Africa
    Methodist
    Single
    The same for me. Even though what's being mentioned in this thread wouldn't be regarded as defacing or vandalism, it's still writing in a book, which I just can't bring myself to do.

15. NothingIsImpossible

NothingIsImpossible Well-Known Member

+2,740
    Christian
    Married
    I tried but never really got into it.

16. ProGoddess

ProGoddess Daughter of My Lord

+598
    Christian
    Single
    I use digital Bible and make notes on MS word or wordpad whenever I need to. I still have my Bible book which sits on the shelf.

I find it easier and more convenient to have the Bible in the digital form instead of carrying the book in my handbag and I usually carry small bags. As long as it serves its purpose, it does not matter what type of Bible we use or bring along. We are still studying God's Word. :)

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  17. Gracia Singh

Gracia Singh Newbie Supporter

+5,597
    United States
    Christian
    Married
    I don't! I somehow just always found it kind of odd. Followers of other religions typically wouldn't consider scribbling notes in the margins of a Guru Granth Sahib, Quran, Torah scroll, or Vedas. To me, it just feels kind of wrong. But I wouldn't mind having a separate note book to scribble thoughts in.

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  18. ProGoddess

ProGoddess Daughter of My Lord

+598
    Christian
    Single
    Same here, as well.

When I was a kid, I used to go to the library and would always see a lot of books being vandalised. Some have pages being torn away, scribbling, writings, drawings on the pages, dog-ear marking of pages, etc. Well, you name it, they have it - that sort of defacement of a book that ruin not just the book, but is like being disrespectful to the author, as well as other readers. Furthermore, that poor book might deem unreadable anymore, especially if many pages were missing. It was not a pleasant sight, I would say.

I guess that's why I have always keep my books clean. Even my school textbooks, and of course my Bible. But since there is the advantage of using it in the digital form, it makes life much easier. As the technology continues to move forward, the phone is our hand is like an "all-in-one" gadget. haha ;)

19. RDKirk

RDKirk Alien, Pilgrim, and Sojourner Supporter

+10,097
    Christian
    Married
    My primary study bible has nearly 40 years of margin notes. Most of those are places where one passage refers in some way to another passage or reinforces another passage, and the Holy Spirit has revealed the connection.

I've either got to find a bookbinder who can repair it or resign myself to spending a whole lot of time transferring notes to a new one.

• List
  20. RDKirk

RDKirk Alien, Pilgrim, and Sojourner Supporter

+10,097
    Christian
    Married
    Many of the ancient copies of the bible have lots of marginal notes.

• Useful Useful x 1
    • List