Do you wish that you were born in another time?

PloverWing

Episcopalian
May 5, 2012
New Jersey
✟334,966.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
I just wish there was a way it could still get better down here.

You might be interested in the book Simply Good News, by N.T. Wright. He takes the position that God will, in the end, transform life "down here" into God's kingdom, in which God's will is done on earth as in heaven.

Upvote 0

VCR-2000

Dec 27, 2018
PA/New York
✟107,329.00
Country
United States
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
You might be interested in the book Simply Good News, by N.T. Wright. He takes the position that God will, in the end, transform life "down here" into God's kingdom, in which God's will is done on earth as in heaven.
Is N.T. Wright also the guy that wrote about a vision of heaven/ the afterlife?

Upvote 0

tturt

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Oct 30, 2006
✟795,460.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Understand what you're saying about considering another time so found this Scripture surprising.

-“And he made from one man every race of men to live on all the face of the earth, having determined allotted epochs and the fixed boundaries of the places where they would live;” (Acts 17:26)
(Psa 139:13, Mal 2;10).

Last edited:
Reactions: Skye1300
Upvote 0

PloverWing

Episcopalian
May 5, 2012
New Jersey
✟334,966.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Is N.T. Wright also the guy that wrote about a vision of heaven/ the afterlife?

Not that I know of. He's a New Testament scholar, formerly the Anglican Bishop of Durham, now a researcher at Oxford. There's a Wikipedia page about him if you want more details.

Upvote 0

Chesterton

Whats So Funny bout Peace Love and Understanding
Site Supporter
May 24, 2008
Flatland
✟865,413.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Well, I'm not old, that is why I'm upset. I was born in '91, I wish I was born at least 20 years before that instead.

I know as Christians, you are supposed to be excited because at least it means you'll be in Heaven, but I don't want to die here yet. I just wish there was a way it could still get better down here.

The only possible other cope is wishing the wronged and angered enacted collective vengeance against the people who are INTENTLY making this a dystopia.
Well we need to leave vengeance to the Lord. But I worry about you a little. You've been making many OPs similar to this one for some time, and it gives the impression that maybe you dwell on this stuff too much. Do you consume a lot of media about it? Personally, I don't follow the news. Other than a couple of talk forums like this I don't use social media, and I gave up TV back in 2017, and I think I'm happier for it. I wish you could find a way to relax, focus on your life rather than the craziness around us, and get more peace of mind.

Upvote 0

southwestforests

Jul 13, 2022
Missouri
✟8,986.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Divorced
Do you wish you were born in another time?
Nope.

For one thing, if had been born in a previous century, me and my defective body would both have been dead before reaching kindergarten age.
And a couple times over since then.

Do I wish I was born in a future century?
First let's have a look at the documented peer-reviewed details of that future century ...

And then let's look at the documented peer-reviewed unforeseen consequences of me being born in a different time ...

Upvote 0

southwestforests

Jul 13, 2022
Missouri
✟8,986.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Divorced
But even Black people had it better in the past except for the racism part.
I'm not convinced of that.
For instance,

Am J Public Health. 2019 October; 109(10): 1346–1347.
Published online 2019 October. doi: 10.2105/AJPH.2019.305290
PMCID: PMC6727285
PMID: 31483719
The Burdens of Race and History on Black People’s Health 400 Years After Jamestown
Stephen B. Thomas, PhDcorresponding author and Erica Casper, MA
The Burdens of Race and History on Black People’s Health 400 Years After Jamestown
The contemporary fear and mistrust Black people have toward medicine, and the beginnings of their legitimate discontent, derives from the fact that “white medical educators and researchers relied greatly on the availability of African American patients … for dissection, surgery, and bedside demonstrations.”1(p77) This is one origin of negative racial attitudes within the health professions. Unfortunately, far too many of these attitudes, dating from the time of slavery and Jim Crow, exist as contemporary vestiges of the past hiding in our health care delivery system, exposed from time to time by landmark studies like the US Department of Health and Human Service’s Report of the Secretary’s Task Force on Black and Minority Health (also known as the Heckler Report)2 and the Institute of Medicine’s (now the National Academy of Medicine) report Unequal Treatment: Confronting Racial and Ethnic Disparities in Health Care.3

The freedom from slavery that was guaranteed in 1863, a major leap forward for the nation, did not grant equal treatment to Black people. One of the most evident manifestations of the persistent discrimination and racism that still exist today is in our health—specifically, health disparities. Although a substantial body of evidence has established that racial and ethnic minorities in the United States have lower life expectancies and suffer more from numerous health conditions than their White counterparts,3 the health of Black people has not always been documented. A 1977 report by Lee and Lee noted that “the standard histories and the best known accounts of the black condition [during slavery] provide little more than anecdotal information on black health and black mortality.”4(p170)

And
African Americans in the Twentieth Century
African Americans in the Twentieth Century

Thomas N. Maloney, University of Utah
The nineteenth century was a time of radical transformation in the political and legal status of African Americans. Blacks were freed from slavery and began to enjoy greater rights as citizens (though full recognition of their rights remained a long way off). Despite these dramatic developments, many economic and demographic characteristics of African Americans at the end of the nineteenth century were not that different from what they had been in the mid-1800s. Tables 1 and 2 present characteristics of black and white Americans in 1900, as recorded in the Census for that year. (The 1900 Census did not record information on years of schooling or on income, so these important variables are left out of these tables, though they will be examined below.) According to the Census, ninety percent of African Americans still lived in the Southern US in 1900 — roughly the same percentage as lived in the South in 1870. Three-quarters of black households were located in rural places. Only about one-fifth of African American household heads owned their own homes (less than half the percentage among whites). About half of black men and about thirty-five percent of black women who reported an occupation to the Census said that they worked as a farmer or a farm laborer, as opposed to about one-third of white men and about eight percent of white women. Outside of farm work, African American men and women were greatly concentrated in unskilled labor and service jobs. Most black children had not attended school in the year before the Census, and white children were much more likely to have attended. So the members of a typical African American family at the start of the twentieth century lived and worked on a farm in the South and did not own their home. Children in these families were unlikely to be in school even at very young ages.

By 1990 (the most recent Census for which such statistics are available at the time of this writing), the economic conditions of African Americans had changed dramatically (see Tables 1 and 2). They had become much less concentrated in the South, in rural places, and in farming jobs and had entered better blue-collar jobs and the white-collar sector. They were nearly twice as likely to own their own homes at the end of the century as in 1900, and their rates of school attendance at all ages had risen sharply. Even after this century of change, though, African Americans were still relatively disadvantaged in terms of education, labor market success, and home ownership.
(more, far more, on page there)

Upvote 0

RDKirk

Alien, Pilgrim, and Sojourner
Site Supporter
Mar 3, 2013
US
✟1,450,469.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
But even Black people had it better in the past except for the racism part. Black families were intact, drugs, gangs and black on black crime and homelessness was not a thing back then. All black people had to worry about back then was racism, now it's racism plus all of this other craziness.

"....Except for the racism part."

LOL. Bitterly.

In my youth:

49d01c16b804fadc63ee9dc8b0e7cc2e--emmett-till-department-of-justice.jpg

mod_attack_on_Freedom_Riders_traveling_by_bus_Anniston_Alabama_May_14_1961.jpg

f2ba50cc-d208-4db8-b8e1-ee8647c1fb07-1024x768.jpeg

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Estrid

Feb 10, 2021
Hong Kong
✟150,171.00
Country
Hong Kong
Faith
Skeptic
Marital Status
In Relationship
Warning, this is also a little rant.

Do you wish you were born in another time? I know I have made other posts about this before. I do wish I was because the current condition of earthly society is becoming a dystopia and it looks like that is here to stay. I have lived for just one decade of my adult life so far and I feel like if I was born earlier I would have had a better quality of life overall. I understand everybody saying that God put me in the time I was for good, but if this current incarnation of society is turning into a dystopia with no turning back or escape so to speak, what is the constructive or logical purpose of it?

I'm not saying that the past was completely good either, but everything today looks so grim, and we ain't seen nothing yet. I feel envy of my parents and older who are now old and got to remember the simpler and lower tech times of the past especially the late half of the 20th century.

I don't know what to do personally either, what I ever planned on doing or wanting to achieve has become useless except for the very simple pleasures. Why can't God spare the world of it's actual ending/destruction but cause a deus ex machina to save our earthly society from it's current woe? No offense, I'm not trying to be God myself.

Not that I believe in a god that could or would help.

Born in an earlier day?
No way.
Being born a woman in China has a deep history
of being a very bad deal. Even in progressive HK my great grandmother's feet were bound.
Being a farm wife was even worse.

As for things getting worse we read of a Babylonian
cuneiform tablet bemoaning the same thing.

Upvote 0

southwestforests

Jul 13, 2022
Missouri
✟8,986.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Divorced
Even in progressive HK my great grandmother's feet were bound.
Being a farm wife was even worse.
That foot shaping thing has always struck me as one of the strangest style things human society has done.
But then I'm autistic and a whole bunch of popular and stylish things neurotypical society does seem really bizarre to me.

Upvote 0

Estrid

Feb 10, 2021
Hong Kong
✟150,171.00
Country
Hong Kong
Faith
Skeptic
Marital Status
In Relationship
That foot shaping thing has always struck me as one of the strangest style things human society has done.
But then I'm autistic and a whole bunch of popular and stylish things neurotypical society does seem really bizarre to me.
Religions strike me the same way.

• Agree
Reactions: Brian damage
Upvote 0

Skye1300

Vegan Pro life Mom
Mar 19, 2022
West Coast USA
✟47,054.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married

I read about that, that was sad. They crippled the poor children.

Upvote 0

keith99

sola dosis facit venenum
Jan 16, 2008
✟320,744.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
I'm female, so it would be dangerous for me to have lived in an earlier time. I've received medical care on several occasions that was not available 100 years ago. ...

I had an appointment with my cardiologist today. If it was just 50 years ago I'd be dead by now. And if not, so limited I'd be better off dead. I don't even what to think about how an enlarged prostate would have played out 50 years ago. Probably the only option would be removal with total loss of sexual function and incontenence.

So many things that were fatal or debilatating just 50 years ago now border on trivial, at least in the West.

And if things were kicked back 50 years then i'd most likely never have been born because my mom would have died from an infection that happened before she was pregnant with me.

• Informative
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Skye1300

Vegan Pro life Mom
Mar 19, 2022
West Coast USA
✟47,054.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
I had an appointment with my cardiologist today. If it was just 50 years ago I'd be dead by now. And if not, so limited I'd be better off dead. I don't even what to think about how an enlarged prostate would have played out 50 years ago. Probably the only option would be removal with total loss of sexual function and incontenence.

So many things that were fatal or debilatating just 50 years ago now border on trivial, at least in the West.

And if things were kicked back 50 years then i'd most likely never have been born because my mom would have died from an infection that happened before she was pregnant with me.

Yes I understand what you're saying. I'm glad you were able to get the medical care you needed and your mom too. But the thing is though, that a lot of medicine we have now to fix modern day ailments, those ailments didn't exist in the past or was rare. A lot of health issues of today comes from modern technology and modern lifestyle. So it's a trade off. If you lived 50 years ago, there's a good chance you wouldn't have heart disease to begin with. Your lifestyle and diet would be different and the atmosphere (no pollution) would be different. Look at how they said they found micro plastics inside most people now today. A lot of health issues comes from pesticides, processed meat, processed food, radiation in the atmosphere from nuclear bombs and testings, Chernobyl, 5G and God knows what else. Most things were organic by default in the past and plastic didn't exist. Diabetes used to be very rare years ago, now it's like 1/4 to 1/3 of people getting it. Obesity was pretty rare in the past, now look at the obesity rate today. That's caused by lifestyle as well as overeating processed food and everything else in the modern environment. In the past, if you didn't work, you didn't eat. The physical work burned off the calories you ate. Today people can eat and do very little physical activity. So a lot of modern day medicine that exists today, wasn't even needed in the past when they didn't have the technology for it anyway. Not to mention a lot of ailments that come from prescription drugs to treat ailments that resulted from modern day living and technology. Look at birth control and the side effects that come from that down the line that people don't think about. In the past people lived organic lives by default and the whole world was more organic and less polluted.
That's why I say the depressive picture a lot of people like to paint of the past is not true. Especially when it comes to medicine. Half of the medicine we need today, people in the past didn't need because of organic lifestyle and lack of technology. A lot of back issues people have today comes from modern day shoes and furniture. In the past people were mostly barefooted or wore simple more organic shoes and were more active because they had no choice. So it's not all as it seems. It's like someone makes you sick then gives you medicine to cure it and you're so grateful that they cured you without realizing they were the ones that made you sick to begin with. Yes today's technology has a lot of cures, but it's for ailments technology itself created. Modern day living is killing people and they don't even know it.

Upvote 0

mama2one

Apr 8, 2018
U.S.A.
✟257,683.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
if I was born earlier, I wouldn't have met my girlfriend who told me about a job opening where her dad worked

I took the job & husband-to-be was transferred in from another plant....he asked me out & two mos later asked me to marry him

if I was born later, we wouldn't have our daughter
the adoption program we used no longer exists

• Friendly
Upvote 0

Skye1300

Vegan Pro life Mom
Mar 19, 2022
West Coast USA
✟47,054.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
if I was born earlier, I wouldn't have met my girlfriend who told me about a job opening where her dad worked

I took the job & husband-to-be was transferred in from another plant....he asked me out & two mos later asked me to marry him

if I was born later, we wouldn't have our daughter
the adoption program we used no longer exists

That's a good point! :)

Upvote 0