Ohio
✟191,697.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Celibate
After much waiting, I finally got two scapulars today, the Brown and Green scapulars. I feel particularly drawn to the green scapular, but from what I've read, it's meant to be "gifted" to those you desire to convert (so, aren't already practicing the faith). I picked it up just in case I can apply it to myself, who could certainly benefit from it in other ways, but plan to be invested in the Brown scapular.

How many of us wear scapulars, and of what kind?

Gnarwhal

☩ Broman Catholic ☩
Oct 31, 2008
N/A
✟425,830.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
I have a brown scapular. My parish automatically enrolls everyone in the confraternity when they're confirmed. I'm just not in the habit of wearing it because I don't wear any accessories at all (no watches, necklaces, rings). I just don't like the feeling of extra stuff on my person. Sucks cause I otherwise really like the scapular.

Upvote 0

Gnarwhal

☩ Broman Catholic ☩
Oct 31, 2008
N/A
✟425,830.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
What is a scapular and why does one wear it?

Why is brown a chosen color versus the green one?

Is it like a rosary? what does it do for the person wearing it?

Is it for men and women both?

A scapular is a garment worn by religious over the shoulders (scapula), and hanging down in front and back, usually to about the bottom of the habit. It developed as a practical garment, protecting the habit during work, and was in time invested with spiritual significance, consecration or dedication to God.

Further reading: http://www.ewtn.com/expert/answers/brown_scapular.HTM

• Friendly
Reactions: teresa
Upvote 0

teresa

Site Supporter
Dec 15, 2015
united states
✟285,092.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
I found this image:

2000px-Habit_(Order_of_Saint_Jerome).svg.png

Upvote 0

teresa

Site Supporter
Dec 15, 2015
united states
✟285,092.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
https://epicpew.com/know-different-types-scapulars/

scapulars were originally worn by members of religious communities as part of their habits. Scapulars didn’t originate as the small necklaces they are today – instead they were the size of a large work apron. It was often referred to as the yoke of Christ, and members of religious communities wore them at all times – even when they went to sleep!

I like the concept of it being like wearing a yoke or work apron as you were doing the work of Christ when you were in a religious order.

In the image, is this what a priest is wearing in our current times?

@TuxAme and @Fenwick are either of you in religious life as a priest or other?

Are you wearing this cloth garment or are you wearing a cloth necklace?

Upvote 0

Gnarwhal

☩ Broman Catholic ☩
Oct 31, 2008
N/A
✟425,830.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
https://epicpew.com/know-different-types-scapulars/

scapulars were originally worn by members of religious communities as part of their habits. Scapulars didn’t originate as the small necklaces they are today – instead they were the size of a large work apron. It was often referred to as the yoke of Christ, and members of religious communities wore them at all times – even when they went to sleep!

I like the concept of it being like wearing a yoke or work apron as you were doing the work of Christ when you were in a religious order.

In the image, is this what a priest is wearing in our current times?

@TuxAme and @Fenwick are either of you in religious life as a priest or other?

Are you wearing this cloth garment or are you wearing a cloth necklace?

I don't know about @TuxAme but I'm a layman. Scapulars are worn by everyone, clergy and laity alike.

Laity don't wear habits like religious do. Here's a picture of what it typically looks like (on Mel Gibson no less):

139736_5f87f28173ec0b0a1403776b48cf19a3.jpg

Upvote 0

Gnarwhal

☩ Broman Catholic ☩
Oct 31, 2008
N/A
✟425,830.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
what do you mean? the long apron like clothing or do you mean the necklace?

The necklace. Only Carmelite religious would wear the habit.

It's a sacramental, which is an item that is meant to set our minds to God and increase our devotion to him.

• Friendly
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Rhamiel

Member of the Round Table
Nov 11, 2006
ohio
✟241,111.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
what do you mean? the long apron like clothing or do you mean the necklace?

The cloth necklace is called a scapular, because it evolved from monastic habits the Scapular of Our Lady of Mount Carmel is brown like the carmelite habit, but latter scapulars came just as sacramentals so you find a verity of colors

I wear the brown scapular, I used to wear the green one as well, might start doing that again

Reactions: Gnarwhal
Upvote 0

AvilaSurfer

Site Supporter
May 14, 2015
NO
✟934,696.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
I wear a green one. Devotion to Mary and St. Michael. I consider it putting on the armor of God each day. Although I did modify it so that it’s all in front. Our parish priest performed the Investiture ceremony.

Upvote 0

TuxAme

Quis ut Deus?
Site Supporter
Dec 16, 2017
Ohio
✟191,697.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Celibate
I have a brown scapular. My parish automatically enrolls everyone in the confraternity when they're confirmed.
That would explain this article (I was wondering why someone had asked that question- now it makes sense).

• Winner
Upvote 0

Gnarwhal

☩ Broman Catholic ☩
Oct 31, 2008
N/A
✟425,830.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
That would explain this article (I was wondering why someone had asked that question- now it makes sense).

My priest is big on the brown scapular, and I think there's a strong connection between my parish and the Carmelites. We have a lot of Secular Carmelites, too. I don't know if the practice predates our current pastor, but I know he's implemented the practice of enrolling everyone in the confraternity prior to or just after their confirmation.

Last edited:
  • Friendly
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Mark_Sam

Veteran Newbie
Mar 12, 2011
✟54,249.00
Country
Norway
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
My main reason for not wearing a Scapular is that it always get tangled up with my Miraculous Medal and chain necklace - which I do wear all the time. But I do have a Green Scapular and a Brown Scapular, which I have worn from time to time (although I'm not enrolled or invested in the Confraternity).

Upvote 0

AvilaSurfer

Site Supporter
May 14, 2015
NO
✟934,696.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
My main reason for not wearing a Scapular is that it always get tangled up with my Miraculous Medal and chain necklace - which I do wear all the time. But I do have a Green Scapular and a Brown Scapular, which I have worn from time to time (although I'm not enrolled or invested in the Confraternity).
I had the same problem. So I cut the cord, put the medals on it, sewed the two scapular pieces together and now it all hangs in front. I have the two pieces, back to back, and 4 small medals.

Upvote 0

concretecamper

Member of His Church
Nov 23, 2013
PA
✟274,209.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
After much waiting, I finally got two scapulars today, the Brown and Green scapulars. I feel particularly drawn to the green scapular, but from what I've read, it's meant to be "gifted" to those you desire to convert (so, aren't already practicing the faith). I picked it up just in case I can apply it to myself, who could certainly benefit from it in other ways, but plan to be invested in the Brown scapular.

How many of us wear scapulars, and of what kind?
My wife and I wear the brown!

• Friendly
Upvote 0