Do you want America to be a Christian nation?

Do you want America to be a Christian nation?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

MoonlessNight

Fides et Ratio
Sep 16, 2003
✟63,049.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
Which version of Christianity would be the dominant version behind this Christian nation? Catholic? Anglicanism? Eastern Orthodox? Protestant? And if you choose Protestant then which Protestant denomination would be accepted as the guideline? Baptist? Southern Baptist? Primitive Baptist? Methodist? Nazarene? Non-Denominational? Presbyterian? Lutheran? Pentecostal? Church of Christ? Assemblies of God? Mennonite? I could go on and on and list more Christian denominations, but it might take me several hours to find the names of every church in this country and type them in a post.

Obviously we would use the One True Catholic Church. Why settle for less?

I've been around Christianity nearly 40 years and I seriously doubt that you can get all Christians from every single Christian church in the U.S. to unanimously agree on which version of Christianity would be the dominant force behind ruling and maintaining a Christian nation. Christians can't even agree if salvation is conditional or not or if people are predestined for salvation or not. Christians can't even agree on the right interpretation of scripture either. So, to get all Christians from the all denominations to agree on which version of Christianity to use for a Christian based ruling government is laughable.

Why should consensus (much less universal consensus) matter, unless we are committed first and foremost to a democracy?

Upvote 0

MoonlessNight

Fides et Ratio
Sep 16, 2003
✟63,049.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
No. What happen when other persons religion becomes most populous? Does Christians then become enemys of the state?

Seems like this is a bigger problem in a nation ruled by the fickle majority than one ruled by Christian principles.

Upvote 0

SolomonVII

Sep 4, 2003
Vancouver
✟155,006.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Greens
I was reading Psalm 126 and it seems pertinent to America. The poll is kind of rhetorical as any Christian should want other people to become Christians. I guess the question's purpose is mostly to tackle the assumptions of Christians who prefer a pluralistic society over a theocracy. I understand theocracies have failed repeatedly throughout history, but if the intention of the Church is to be in communion with God, shouldn't our government be that way also? Even if we attempt to have a theocracy in America and fail, wouldn't that be better than a democratic society based on the popular opinion of heretics, apostates, & infidels?

Here is a question to start the discussion

Should Christians aspire for America to become a theocracy & how does this connect with whether you want America to become a 'Christian nation'? I will let you decide what is meant by 'Christian nation'.

Thanks
To vote for wanting America to be a Christian nation in no why ought to imply a vote for theocracy. A nation filled with Christians would be one example of a Christian nation, and it is very possible and even likely that most of those Christians would want secular vehicles for their governments to govern with.

Christianity itself has become a very pluralistic religion. Theocracies would never be able to express the full Christian experience, but would be denominational rather than fully Christian.

Upvote 0

Go Braves

I miss Senator McCain
May 18, 2017
Atlanta
✟15,568.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Republican
Well, that wasn't exactly clear in your post or at least it wasn't to me. But I think the main points of my post still stands. It would undoubtedly be a total disaster for this country if that ever happened.

I would rather them not be Christian (or any other religion for that matter) unless they can keep their faith to themselves and not let it interfere with their leadership and decision making for federal laws and policy. I say that because I don't want any risk of them favoring Christians over non-Christians.

No specific religious group of people should be given special rights or special treatment that all other religious people could be denied. I think some Christians from the religious right already have an entitlement mentality in this country and I don't want kind of attitude encouraged or promoted by a political leader. However, I do think Trump is already treading on that edge because of his attempts to pander to his evangelical supporters. He's cunning enough to know he needs to keep them pleased.

I wrote two short sentences. I'm sorry, I haven't got the time to keep reading the long replies you write. From skimming it I get the gist of what you're saying. What I meant is that we're going to keep having politicians pander to get the Christian vote. What I want is for the folks who do that to actually ACT like Christians. That's all. I like Pence because I think he sincerely is a man of God. He's true. I dislike Trump because he's not.

eta, didn't mean to sound disrespectful to you, I just wasn't expecting your replies. It just went so far beyond what I meant.

Last edited:
  • Friendly
Reactions: Shiloh Raven
Upvote 0

ExodusMe

Rough around the edges
Jan 30, 2017
Washington State
✟34,734.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
There's no such things as a "Christian nation" when it comes to worldly governments. Not until Jesus returns. I don't understand why Christians would believe that they can make people Christian by passing laws. That's not what brings glory to God. And I don't understand why people would think that God will only bless us if we somehow destroy or control our enemies. That's NOT what Jesus taught at all! Matthew 20:25-28... we are not (as Christians) to have power over others, we are called to love and serve others. Let governments do what governments are going to do. Our concerns are Christ's concerns. Let's focus on what He commands instead of trying to rule through a secular government.
So you don't vote then I would assume?

Upvote 0

ExodusMe

Rough around the edges
Jan 30, 2017
Washington State
✟34,734.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Yeah, theocracies never work because they are the pale imitation of what a true kingdom of God is. We should have Christian ethics, but it should be a secular government.
We should have Christian ethics, but it should be a secular government? How do you have Christian ethics without a Christian government is the real question? Do you think the pluralism the US embraces today is a product of secularism? It is not. It was built on the backs of Christian persons. Secularism is slowly turning away from pluralism.
The list of Theocracies

Countries With A Theocratic Government Today

Doesn't really me with high hopes. Apart from Vatican City which is basically big office building for the Catholic Church rest of the list is full of repressive regimes with religious police and no tolerance or sense of humor.
Not really a good example as we are talking about Christian theocracies - not islamic.

Yes, he is in Canada and Canada just so happen to be part of America. There is no country named “America”.
Thanks for the correction. I appreciate it.

Upvote 0

ExodusMe

Rough around the edges
Jan 30, 2017
Washington State
✟34,734.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
To vote for wanting America to be a Christian nation in no why ought to imply a vote for theocracy. A nation filled with Christians would be one example of a Christian nation, and it is very possible and even likely that most of those Christians would want secular vehicles for their governments to govern with.

Christianity itself has become a very pluralistic religion. Theocracies would never be able to express the full Christian experience, but would be denominational rather than fully Christian.
What do you mean by 'has become a very pluralistic religion'? My understanding is that pluralism is a product of Christianity.

Upvote 0

Seejer

Jul 20, 2017
Oslo
✟9,432.00
Country
Norway
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Not really a good example as we are talking about Christian theocracies - not islamic.

There are no Christian theocracies apart from a Vatican that is more of administrative center for Catholic Church than a real nation.

Christian theocracy would probably get the characteristics we see now in Saudi Arabia and Iran ; persecution of LBGT movement, banning inappropriate content , relegation of women to second class citizenship, death penalties, persecution of other religions, atheists, freethinkers and suppressing science and education.

This video might give some insight.

TLDR of the video

Two sides of the same coin.

Upvote 0

DawnStar

Pragmatist
Nov 27, 2014
✟37,814.00
Faith
Unitarian
Marital Status
Private
Christian theocracy would probably get the characteristics we see now in Saudi Arabia and Iran ; persecution of LBGT movement, banning inappropriate content , relegation of women to second class citizenship, death penalties, persecution of other religions, atheists, freethinkers and suppressing science and education.
Definitely.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

ExodusMe

Rough around the edges
Jan 30, 2017
Washington State
✟34,734.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
There are no Christian theocracies apart from a Vatican that is more of administrative center for Catholic Church than a real nation.

This video might give some insight.

TLDR of the video

Two sides of the same coin.
This isn't the question of the OP. The quesiton isn't "What would happen if the US turned into a Christian theocracy?" The question is - PLUG WHATEVER THEOCRACY YOU WANT IN - WOULD THAT BE BETTER THAN DEMOCRACY?

You can even imagine a Christian theocracy where homosexuality is allowed or whatever.

Upvote 0

DawnStar

Pragmatist
Nov 27, 2014
✟37,814.00
Faith
Unitarian
Marital Status
Private
The question is - PLUG WHATEVER THEOCRACY YOU WANT IN - WOULD THAT BE BETTER THAN DEMOCRACY?
NO. Anyone with a clue about past or recent history would understand that. If they do not maybe they should do some studying.

Upvote 0

Seejer

Jul 20, 2017
Oslo
✟9,432.00
Country
Norway
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Even if we attempt to have a theocracy in America and fail, wouldn't that be better than a democratic society based on the popular opinion of heretics, apostates, & infidels?

Charming.

The best case against a theocracy is realization that there are people like you eager to get political power and to tell others what is true, what they should do while themselves being supremely secure on their own infallibility ready to do anything because God is on their side and those who disagree with them and their definition of God are heretics and infidels and should be treated as such.

Upvote 0

Resha Caner

Expert Fool
Sep 16, 2010
✟155,600.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Should Christians aspire for America to become a theocracy & how does this connect with whether you want America to become a 'Christian nation'? I will let you decide what is meant by 'Christian nation'.

I would need to understand better what you think that means. In most cases my answer would be "no" because most intend a Puritan nation that would seek the legal punishment of those who do not conform to their worldview; others are seeking a millennialist heaven-on-earth.

As such, my first question is always: What would be accomplished by this "Christian nation"? What is it's purpose?

Reactions: jazzflower92
Upvote 0

Ronald

Exhortations
Site Supporter
Jul 30, 2004
southern
✟111,578.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
I was reading Psalm 126 and it seems pertinent to America. The poll is kind of rhetorical as any Christian should want other people to become Christians. I guess the question's purpose is mostly to tackle the assumptions of Christians who prefer a pluralistic society over a theocracy. I understand theocracies have failed repeatedly throughout history, but if the intention of the Church is to be in communion with God, shouldn't our government be that way also? Even if we attempt to have a theocracy in America and fail, wouldn't that be better than a democratic society based on the popular opinion of heretics, apostates, & infidels?

Here is a question to start the discussion

Thanks
I would say yes but the clock is ticking and I think America has had its 400 year run, a good run. Since the day the Pilgrims came to the shores of Virginia and planted a cross on the beach and dedicated this land to our Lord and Savior in 1607, that's when it began. Legally of course in 1776. But in this generation, we have seen moral depravity increase: abortion legalized, increase of divorce, suicide, drugs, crime, division within the country and I believe gay marriage is the final straw. In addition to that we have a very corrupt, greedy and untrustworty government, imminent nuclear war and astronomical debt that will not go away. Judgment Day is coming soon, Christians hold unto your faith and the unbelievers will perish.

Reactions: ExodusMe
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

DawnStar

Pragmatist
Nov 27, 2014
✟37,814.00
Faith
Unitarian
Marital Status
Private
I understand theocracies have failed repeatedly throughout history, but if the intention of the Church is to be in communion with God, shouldn't our government be that way also?
No. Because as you just stated theocracies have failed repeatedly throughout history.

Even if we attempt to have a theocracy in America and fail, wouldn't that be better than a democratic society based on the popular opinion of heretics, apostates, & infidels?
Why even attempt something you have already stated has repeatedly failed throughout history?

Upvote 0

ExodusMe

Rough around the edges
Jan 30, 2017
Washington State
✟34,734.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
There is a big difference between a "nation of Christians" and a "Christian nation." I would support the former, oppose the later.
So you specifically vote for non-christians?

Upvote 0

SolomonVII

Sep 4, 2003
Vancouver
✟155,006.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Greens
What do you mean by 'has become a very pluralistic religion'? My understanding is that pluralism is a product of Christianity.

plu·ral·is·tic
ˌplo͝orəˈlistik/
adjective
relating to or advocating a system in which two or more states, groups, principles, sources of authority, etc., coexist.
"a multicultural pluralistic society where people's values are respected"
PHILOSOPHY
relating to a system of thought that recognizes more than one ultimate principle.
"the society is committed to a pluralistic approach to philosophy"

My intended use of the word falls pretty close to the definition, I think. To be a theocracy would be to imply that the ultimate principles, sources of authority, groups and ultimate values are part of a unitary system. Christianity has not been that system since before the Reformation, or really, since before the Photian schism.

The values and principles and organization modes between the different sects of Christianity are very different, and moreover, the values of individuals in any of the particular sects or denominations vary greatly

Christianity as a theocracy has no basis for existence. Christians are all very different from one another. There is not enough of a unifying principle in order to create an American theocracy.

Nevertheless, America is a nation filled with Christians, and what is possible is for America to remain a nation with an overarching Christian culture. Christianity is a common language that all Christian language. The stories and themes of Christianity are what are shared between all Christians, and it is that culture that gives America a direction and a purpose and a meaning.
That is worth preserving and fighting for.

Reactions: DawnStar
Upvote 0