Do you want America to be a Christian nation?

Do you want America to be a Christian nation?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Jesuscentered

Jul 27, 2017
Ontario
✟10,051.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anabaptist
Marital Status
Married
There's no such things as a "Christian nation" when it comes to worldly governments. Not until Jesus returns. I don't understand why Christians would believe that they can make people Christian by passing laws. That's not what brings glory to God. And I don't understand why people would think that God will only bless us if we somehow destroy or control our enemies. That's NOT what Jesus taught at all! Matthew 20:25-28... we are not (as Christians) to have power over others, we are called to love and serve others. Let governments do what governments are going to do. Our concerns are Christ's concerns. Let's focus on what He commands instead of trying to rule through a secular government.

Upvote 0

jazzflower92

Jul 31, 2013
✟59,085.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
There's no such things as a "Christian nation" when it comes to worldly governments. Not until Jesus returns. I don't understand why Christians would believe that they can make people Christian by passing laws. That's not what brings glory to God. And I don't understand why people would think that God will only bless us if we somehow destroy or control our enemies. That's NOT what Jesus taught at all! Matthew 20:25-28... we are not (as Christians) to have power over others, we are called to love and serve others. Let governments do what governments are going to do. Our concerns are Christ's concerns. Let's focus on what He commands instead of trying to rule through a secular government.

Yeah, theocracies never work because they are the pale imitation of what a true kingdom of God is. We should have Christian ethics, but it should be a secular government.

Reactions: Hank77
Upvote 0

jazzflower92

Jul 31, 2013
✟59,085.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single

Yeah, theocracies never work because they are the pale imitation of what a true kingdom of God is. We should have Christian ethics, but it should be a secular government.

Upvote 0

Seejer

Jul 20, 2017
Oslo
✟9,432.00
Country
Norway
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
The list of Theocracies

Countries With A Theocratic Government Today

Doesn't really me with high hopes. Apart from Vatican City which is basically big office building for the Catholic Church rest of the list is full of repressive regimes with religious police and no tolerance or sense of humor.

Upvote 0

W Johnson

Jul 3, 2017
Michigan
✟19,984.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
Thought I posted this in the American politics forum, but I must have messed up. I see you are in Canada. I guess this is applicable to you also although I would say Canadians & Americans are much different.

With that said, why would you not want to live in a theocracy as a Christian? (Lets just keep your discussion more general and not Canadian specific if possible).

Thanks

Yes, he is in Canada and Canada just so happen to be part of America. There is no country named “America”.

Upvote 0

Adstar

May 10, 2005
New South Wales
✟49,258.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
I was reading Psalm 126 and it seems pertinent to America. The poll is kind of rhetorical as any Christian should want other people to become Christians. I guess the question's purpose is mostly to tackle the assumptions of Christians who prefer a pluralistic society over a theocracy. I understand theocracies have failed repeatedly throughout history, but if the intention of the Church is to be in communion with God, shouldn't our government be that way also? Even if we attempt to have a theocracy in America and fail, wouldn't that be better than a democratic society based on the popular opinion of heretics, apostates, & infidels?

Here is a question to start the discussion

Should Christians aspire for America to become a theocracy & how does this connect with whether you want America to become a 'Christian nation'? I will let you decide what is meant by 'Christian nation'.

Thanks

For me the question is irrelevant because there will only ever be one Christian kingdom in Spirit and that exists now within all people who are indwelled by Gods Holy Spirit.. And in the future there will only be one Kingdom of God in physical reality when Jesus returns and establishes His kingdom on earth..

In these times there will never be a Christian nation / country... The only variance is that some worldly authorities will adopt some Christian principles and other worldly authorities will adopt little to no Christian principles..

Upvote 0

DawnStar

Pragmatist
Nov 27, 2014
✟37,814.00
Faith
Unitarian
Marital Status
Private
Those who are saying they want America to be a totally Christian nation would only support that idea as long as it agrees with their brand of Christianity.
Who will make the rules? If you say they will be biblically based rules then whose biblical interpretation will we go with? Will men have to keep their hair cut short? Will women be required to wear only dresses? Will people be forced to attend church every Sunday? Will women be allowed to preach or even allowed to work away from the home at all? Will people be forced to tithe on their income? Will children be stoned if they speak out against their parents? Will homosexuals be put to death? Etc, etc. Some of you people have no idea what you are asking for when you state that America should be a Christian theocracy. But then again sadly maybe some of you do.
I also fail to understand how Psalm 126 in any way brings into question the notion of a theocracy.

Last edited:
Reactions: Hank77
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

yeshuaslavejeff

simple truth, martyr, disciple of Yahshua
Jan 6, 2005
okie
✟214,996.00
Faith
Anabaptist
I understand theocracies have failed repeatedly throughout history, but if the intention of the Church is to be in communion with God, shouldn't our government be that way also?
No. The governments of this world, of the nations, of the peoples are
decidely arrayed against the anointed Messiah Jesus and His people.
It is a war that won't end until Jesus Returns.

Even if we attempt to have a theocracy in America and fail, wouldn't that be better than a democratic society based on the popular opinion of heretics, apostates, & infidels?
Where is the best rulership of YHWH today ? (as seen in His people, born again, set apart by Him for His Purpose ) - in the most 'violent' countries opposed to the Gospel of Jesus. In the assemblies that are thriving there, even though illegal, underground, and persecuted and oppressed every day.

Should Christians aspire for America to become a theocracy
No. Instead, pray that the Will of the Father be accomplished as He Pleases.

Upvote 0

Shiloh Raven

May 14, 2016
Texas
✟228,180.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
If it was sincere Christianity, sure. Trump takes a dump on Christian values.

Which version of Christianity would be the dominant version behind this Christian nation? Catholic? Anglicanism? Eastern Orthodox? Protestant? And if you choose Protestant then which Protestant denomination would be accepted as the guideline? Baptist? Southern Baptist? Primitive Baptist? Methodist? Nazarene? Non-Denominational? Presbyterian? Lutheran? Pentecostal? Church of Christ? Assemblies of God? Mennonite? I could go on and on and list more Christian denominations, but it might take me several hours to find the names of every church in this country and type them in a post.

I've been around Christianity nearly 40 years and I seriously doubt that you can get all Christians from every single Christian church in the U.S. to unanimously agree on which version of Christianity would be the dominant force behind ruling and maintaining a Christian nation. Christians can't even agree if salvation is conditional or not or if people are predestined for salvation or not. Christians can't even agree on the right interpretation of scripture either. So, to get all Christians from the all denominations to agree on which version of Christianity to use for a Christian based ruling government is laughable.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Go Braves

I miss Senator McCain
May 18, 2017
Atlanta
✟15,568.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Republican
Which version of Christianity would be the dominant version behind this Christian nation? Catholic? Anglicanism? Eastern Orthodox? Protestant? And if you choose Protestant then which Protestant denomination would be accepted as the guideline? Baptist? Southern Baptist? Primitive Baptist? Methodist? Nazarene? Non-Denominational? Presbyterian? Lutheran? Pentecostal? Church of Christ? Assemblies of God? Mennonite? I could go on and on and list more Christian denominations, but it might take me several hours to find the names of every church in this country and type them in a post.

I've been around Christianity nearly 40 years and I seriously doubt that you can get all Christians from every single Christian church in the U.S. to unanimously agree on which version of Christianity would be the dominant force behind ruling and maintaining a Christian nation. Christians can't even agree if salvation is conditional or not or if people are predestined for salvation or not. Christians can't even agree on the right interpretation of scripture either. So, to get all Christians from the all denominations to agree on which version of Christianity to use for a Christian based ruling government is laughable.

Gracious, you sure did run off far with my post.

I was thinking more that it would be nice if the folks who are leaders in the US & say they're Christians & that in this country we worship God not government they'd actually act like Christians. Not that 1 domination should rule the country.

So, to get all Christians from the all denominations to agree on which version of Christianity to use for a Christian based ruling government is laughable

Well no duh.

Upvote 0

Shiloh Raven

May 14, 2016
Texas
✟228,180.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Gracious, you sure did run off far with my post.

Well, that wasn't exactly clear in your post or at least it wasn't to me. But I think the main points of my post still stands. It would undoubtedly be a total disaster for this country if that ever happened.

I was thinking more that it would be nice if the folks who are leaders in the US & say they're Christians & that in this country we worship God not government they'd actually act like Christians. Not that 1 domination should rule the country.

I would rather them not be Christian (or any other religion for that matter) unless they can keep their faith to themselves and not let it interfere with their leadership and decision making for federal laws and policy. I say that because I don't want any risk of them favoring Christians over non-Christians.

No specific religious group of people should be given special rights or special treatment that all other religious people could be denied. I think some Christians from the religious right already have an entitlement mentality in this country and I don't want kind of attitude encouraged or promoted by a political leader. However, I do think Trump is already treading on that edge because of his attempts to pander to his evangelical supporters. He's cunning enough to know he needs to keep them pleased.

• Agree
Reactions: JackRT
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

JackRT

Site Supporter
Oct 17, 2015
small town Ontario, Canada
✟767,295.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Unorthodox
Marital Status
Married
I think some Christians from the religious right already have an entitlement mentality in this country and I don't want kind of attitude encouraged or promoted by a political leader.

I certainly agree with this comment about entitlement mentality. A fairly large block of my fellow Christians have what could be called an entitlement mentality. For a great many centuries we Christians have had things our own way and have controlled society to such an extent that we have been able to impose our own agenda without challenge. However, when minority groups started demanding and receiving rights that they had previously been denied, rights that Christians held all along, these same Christians felt threatened and some even claimed that they were being persecuted. Rights and freedoms are not part of a zero-sum game. Expanding them does not thereby reduce them for some other group. For example, extending marriage rights to homosexuals has not reduced the rights of heterosexuals in the slightest way. In reality Christians have lost no rights and are not threatened in any meaningful way. In Canada and the USA Christians are certainly not being persecuted.

• Winner
Reactions: Shiloh Raven
Upvote 0

JackRT

Site Supporter
Oct 17, 2015
small town Ontario, Canada
✟767,295.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Unorthodox
Marital Status
Married
No. What happen when other persons religion becomes most populous? Does Christians then become enemys of the state?

No. In a nation with constitutional safeguards this should not happen.

Reactions: Shiloh Raven
Upvote 0

Shiloh Raven

May 14, 2016
Texas
✟228,180.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I certainly agree with this comment about entitlement mentality. A fairly large block of my fellow Christians have what could be called an entitlement mentality. For a great many centuries we Christians have had things our own way and have controlled society to such an extent that we have been able to impose our own agenda without challenge. However, when minority groups started demanding and receiving rights that they had previously been denied, rights that Christians held all along, these same Christians felt threatened and some even claimed that they were being persecuted. Rights and freedoms are not part of a zero-sum game. Expanding them does not thereby reduce them for some other group. For example, extending marriage rights to homosexuals has not reduced the rights of heterosexuals in the slightest way. In reality Christians have lost no rights and are not threatened in any meaningful way. In Canada and the USA Christians are certainly not being persecuted.

I think many of the Republican conservative evangelicals (if not all of them) in this country are way too soft and have never actually known any real persecution for their Christian faith a single day in their life. I seriously doubt many of them would emotionally survive an actual act of persecution against them. A lot of them just complain and cry persecution on just about anything that remotely challenges their beliefs. If some evangelical Christian isn't allowed to discriminate against homosexuals or other LGBT based on their Christian convictions, then other evangelicals scream persecution and then go into an emotional frenzy of public moral outrage. But much to their dismay, Christians not being allowed to act on a personal biased against someone whose lifestyle they disapprove of isn't persecution. It's being called out and sternly informed that discrimination against homosexuals and other LGBT (or other marginalized people living in this country) won't be tolerated anymore in our secular society today.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Shiloh Raven

May 14, 2016
Texas
✟228,180.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
No. In a nation with constitutional safeguards this should not happen.

According to the First Amendment, Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion. So, establishing the United States as a Christian nation shouldn't be possible in the first place.

Upvote 0