Do you think you are a "black or white" thinker?

JohnClay

Married Mouth-Breather
Site Supporter
Oct 27, 2006
Australia
Visit site
✟447,219.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Married
Hi a while ago a Christian friend of mine said that a Christian guy we knew was a "black or white" thinker. He was very good at chess and has a large number of Bible commentaries. The term can seem insulting though. Lately I've been believing there are paradoxes and that most things (except our existence in some sense) can't be known for certain.

Reactions: Godlovesmetwo

SkyWriting

The Librarian
Site Supporter
Jan 10, 2010
Milwaukee
✟410,948.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Hi a while ago a Christian friend of mine said that a Christian guy we knew was a "black or white" thinker. He was very good at chess and has a large number of Bible commentaries. The term can seem insulting though. Lately I've been believing there are paradoxes and that most things (except our existence in some sense) can't be known for certain.

Our entire existence might be in the mind of God.
The split slot test suggests this is correct.

Upvote 0

Godlovesmetwo

Fringe Catholic
Mar 16, 2016
Antwerp
✟17,860.00
Country
Djibouti
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Others
I think you are on the right track. ask questions like this. keep searching. dont settle for simple answers.
be flexible. flexibility is not weakness.
dont be afraid to be the only one in the family who thinks like you.
none of us know all the answers. we are all still searching.

Upvote 0

Godlovesmetwo

Fringe Catholic
Mar 16, 2016
Antwerp
✟17,860.00
Country
Djibouti
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Others
people need and love certainty. I like it myself. a close family member lives with the shadow of cancer. If or when it returns is no one's guess. the uncertainty causing us much anxiety.
we cant be certain Jesus is the Son of God. A lot of writings point to it though. By respected writers. People I trust believe so. I
Im drawn to believe the same. I grew up in a loving family. a loving Christian fam.ily. im tempted to equate God, love and Christianity as the same. My experience points to a truth I cant quite pinpoint but sense is real.
Faith is not black and white. You can have weak faith, medium faith and big faith.

Upvote 0

aiki

Feb 16, 2007
Winnipeg
✟236,538.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married

Am I a "black and white thinker"? Sometimes. 2+2=4, right? That seems pretty "black and white" to me. The earth revolves around the Sun. Seems like an uncontroversial, black-and-white statement, don't you think? Like these examples, there are lots of things that don't appear to have any grey areas. I don't think it is insulting or narrow-minded to think or say so. Do you?

Some things in life can definitely seem, or actually be, paradoxical. I'd be careful, though, not to extend this to every, or most, things.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums