do you think women has stronger desire to get married compared with men to get married?

Cute Peonies

I love flowers irl
Jun 21, 2021
Antananarivo
✟48,400.00
Country
Madagascar
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
I don't think women desire marriage more than men. To me men and women want it equally.

because often when you hear a couple who dated a long time but has yet to get married, it is often assume it is the guy who is dragging the feet?

One thing I know for sure is that it doesn't take long for a guy to see if his girlfriend is "wifey material" or not.

My ex gave me a ring within 1 month of dating and talked about babies so early. I know many couples who got engaged quickly no matter their age. My ex and I were only 23 and 20 and we broke up because I was too young and absolutely not ready for what he wanted back then.

That's how I knew that a man who likes you won't risk loosing you by making you wait too long.

It's also about timing too.

Upvote 0

APersonWithNoName

Site Supporter
Feb 13, 2022
Auckland
✟90,245.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I don't think women desire marriage more than men. To me men and women want it equally.

One thing I know for sure is that it doesn't take long for a guy to see if his girlfriend is "wifey material" or not.

My ex gave me a ring within 1 month of dating and talked about babies so early. I know many couples who got engaged quickly no matter their age. My ex and I were only 23 and 20 and we broke up because I was too young and absolutely not ready for what he wanted back then.

That's how I knew that a man who likes you won't risk loosing you by making you wait too long.

thank you for your insight

I have no insight into this sight of this obviously as I never had romantic relationship

so do you mind me asking, do you think if a guy only proposed after a lengthy courtship, 8 years or more, assume there were no other barriers as in financial, that it might be an indication that this guy is not as in love with his future wife compare with the guy who chose to propose after a fairly short time?

Upvote 0

Cute Peonies

I love flowers irl
Jun 21, 2021
Antananarivo
✟48,400.00
Country
Madagascar
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
so do you mind me asking, do you think if a guy only proposed after a lengthy courtship, 8 years or more, assume there were no other barriers as in financial, that it might be an indication that this guy is not as in love with his future wife compare with the guy who chose to propose after a fairly short time?

If he's financially stable and still waits 8 years or more then maybe that's not his priority. Marrying her was definitely not his goal for 8 years haha

I won't say he didn't love her as much. In my opinion it's not really about the depth of his love but more about age and timing.

A 18yo girl can (and probably will) wait that long for her boyfriend to propose whereas a girl in her late twenties will think twice.

We need a man's answer to your question! @mojoboy31 @angelsaroundme @SarahsKnight @Saucy @DragonFox91 @.Mikha'el. @Rene Loup

Upvote 0

Saucy

King of CF
Site Supporter
Jul 5, 2005
Michigan
✟836,624.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
I think women can equally be non-committal. Sometimes it is how they grew up, whether their career is the biggest priority, or how they understand commitment. I know people who dated a really long time. It was equally the "fault" of both men and women. My sister is one because our parents were divorced and so marriage hasn't been a big priority for her. She has been with the same guy, father of her kids, for 8 years. They have talked about marriage, but it's just this far-away thing that isn't important to her.

Me, on the other hand, marriage and kids would be. I'm big on commitment and I'm not looking to date around. As a Christian I view marriage as important and I want kids, so that's what I shoot for when looking for someone. A woman who wants to settle down and start a family. I would probably propose within the first year if things were going great.

Everyone is different. They see marriage differently.

Upvote 0

APersonWithNoName

Site Supporter
Feb 13, 2022
Auckland
✟90,245.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
If he's financially stable and still waits 8 years or more then maybe that's not his priority. Marrying her was definitely not his goal for 8 years haha

I won't say he didn't love her as much. In my opinion it's not really about the depth of his love but more about age and timing.

A 18yo girl can (and probably will) wait that long for her boyfriend to propose whereas a girl in her late twenties will think twice.

We need a man's answer to your question! @mojoboy31 @angelsaroundme @SarahsKnight @Saucy @DragonFox91 @.Mikha'el. @Rene Loup

interesting.

Upvote 0

DragonFox91

Dec 20, 2020
Michigan
✟214,753.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican

I'm always surprised when I find out the timeframe from dating to marriage is only a couple years or so. W/ only a couple exceptions, marriage is a life-long commitment. You really want to make sure it's the right one before marrying. I'm a cautious person. I suppose I'd really have to spell that out to the girl. It sounds like most girls don't buy it unfortunately but there might be one who agrees. But ugh, I really want to get married! Maybe outside of my own speculation it'd be quick. 8 years does seem excessive. 3-5 years seems more reasonable.

Upvote 0

APersonWithNoName

Site Supporter
Feb 13, 2022
Auckland
✟90,245.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single

yes, I am a guy myself, but the lack of experience in romantic relationships combined with the fact I am gay, I can't say I know what a straight guy would think in this case.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Sketcher

Born Imperishable
Feb 23, 2004
✟379,648.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican

That's infatuation. Sometimes it pays off, much of the time it doesn't. If a man gets burned enough times, or badly enough, he knows better than to do that so early. Though his interest may still be there.

Upvote 0

Petros2015

Jun 23, 2016
undisclosed Bunker
✟289,335.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Women are more likely to think about families and wanting children I think
Families do better with stability, marriage is a commitment to stability
Men want the women
Women want the family
Marriage is a promise that they will both get what they want
And what they don't
But have a chance to learn to appreciate it
A different way

Reactions: DragonFox91
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

bèlla

❤️
Site Supporter
Jan 16, 2019
USA
✟947,218.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
In Relationship
No.

Timing is personal. There’s many reasons someone might hesitate or be ready to move forward. Certainty isn’t equitable. One person may believe you’re the one and the other hasn’t reached that conclusion.

The men I dated were marriage minded. We covered the subject to determine suitability. But that’s preliminary. It takes time to determine character and I wouldn’t rush into anything overnight.

While I didn’t have a pressing desire to settle the Holy Spirit clarified why it was best. I adopted a different approach and narrowed my focus. And surrounded myself with couples in thriving marriages. I covered the topic extensively through books, classes, and events to shore up my knowledge and readiness.

And I did a lot of housekeeping. Singleness is a different mindset. I covered a lot of ground before I met my partner and he did the same. We broach togetherness beyond physical and emotional fulfillment.

I wouldn’t marry someone because he loved me and wanted to settle down or desired a wife and family. That’s not enough. I need a holistic union. Something greater than he and I. He required the same.

As I move closer to that point the why is clear. We can cite many reasons why we work that aren’t dependent on emotion or attraction. Practical things that support the wisdom of our pairing in addition to the rest.

We’ve forsaken opportunities that didn’t provide the same. It wasn’t the right fit. That’s our linchpin.

Upvote 0

DragonFox91

Dec 20, 2020
Michigan
✟214,753.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
If I was on the other end I’d be cautious about a man asking for marriage too fast. It’d make me think he’s desperate or has motives beyond just the life-long covenant, like the 1 month Peonies mentioned.

In regards to OP (I realized I never answered his question): no I think men want to get married on equal basis w/ women. . As a single man I meet lots of single men who’s dating end dream is to get married. I think longer courtships are from a mutual understanding & belief system. But that’s me speaking from my poor naïve dateless understanding.

Reactions: Somber
Upvote 0

mojoboy31

Kitchen Ninja
Oct 19, 2014
One does not simply give away one's location.
✟240,769.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single

thanks for the tag!

To the topic at hand. I don't think women desire marriage more than men do in a general sense. I often feel like I was born with an intense desire for marriage.

However, I do think generally speaking, more women place a higher significance on marriage than most guys probably do. So there seems to be sorta "men drag their feet" perception.

And obviously this isn't true for everyone. Some men absolutely drag their feet. And some women straight up don't believe in marriage.

But I think generally, most guys wanna be married as much as most girls do.

Upvote 0

angelsaroundme

Mar 4, 2020
Georgia
✟140,726.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Celibate

I know some people do well as a couple for years, get married, and then it falls apart shortly after. The guy may have felt marriage added unnecessary pressure.

• Agree
Reactions: bèlla
Upvote 0

Sophrosyne

Let Your Light Shine.. Matt 5:16
Jun 21, 2007
In God's Amazing Grace
✟895,522.00
Faith
Christian
I've been watching a few youtube videos about dating and marriages online and the ongoing problems of feminism that have cause the MGTOW movement and all this has resulted in a lot of women that are around 30 or so still single and childless as a lot of women online are thinking they "deserve" the top 5-10% of the men and these top men don't have to commit to a relationship at all they just get a date with them and the women sleep with them right away. Men have also figured out that 50% of marriages end in divorce and in a lot of states the women can simply divorce a man (no fault) and she gets half of his stuff and even alimony and if children.... support for them.
This is what is driving a lot of men be reluctant also there is a huge amount of infidelity with about 24-28% of married people cheating on each other (about equal).
Why should a man marry if he is already getting sex from the woman and can wait till he is 40 even and find a 20 something year old woman to marry.
Another issue that was brought up is most of the feminists want men that are six figures in income which locks out the younger men totally as it typically takes a decade to build up to that wealth for a lot of men.
There is a lot of other issues is some of the top men (in women's eyes) are actually looking for women from other countries/cultures because of the lack of women with traditional values in society today.

Take all this with a grain of salt as I'm probably not one to be giving advice to singles.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

MissFaithfullyHis

Mar 12, 2022
Los Angeles
✟10,931.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Where I live, we are all focused on our careers and resume. That defines our success in life and if it's not up to a certain standard, then marriage is not feasible because both, man and woman, need to have a career. If a man doesn't have a job, then a woman will not give him any attention. If a woman doesn't have a job, then a man will think she's lazy or incapable.

This line of thinking is very common where I live (Major cities to mid-size cities/towns) . Also have to consider the cost of living and people here don't get married until they are about 30+ because of financial reasons. Basically, your income and job determines if you are ready to marry or not (that's also including kids if you're already married).

For me, ever since I got saved, marriage has been a thought more so now than when I wasn't following Christ. However, I'll accept singlehood or marriage if God puts that on my path. When I wasn't following Christ, that was the last thing on my mind (plus feminism really distorts our line of thinking).

Upvote 0

DragonFox91

Dec 20, 2020
Michigan
✟214,753.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
I am 30. Everyone I know who married in 20s still happily married. For divorce rates you gotta look at income.

I've been watching a few youtube videos about dating and marriages online and the ongoing problems of feminism that have cause the MGTOW movement and all this has resulted in a lot of women that are around 30 or so still single and childless as a lot of women online are thinking they "deserve" the top 5-10% of the men and these top men don't have to commit to a relationship at all they just get a date with them and the women sleep with them right away. Men have also figured out that 50% of marriages end in divorce and in a lot of states the women can simply divorce a man (no fault) and she gets half of his stuff and even alimony and if children.... support for them.
This is what is driving a lot of men be reluctant also there is a huge amount of infidelity with about 24-28% of married people cheating on each other (about equal).
Why should a man marry if he is already getting sex from the woman and can wait till he is 40 even and find a 20 something year old woman to marry.
Another issue that was brought up is most of the feminists want men that are six figures in income which locks out the younger men totally as it typically takes a decade to build up to that wealth for a lot of men.
There is a lot of other issues is some of the top men (in women's eyes) are actually looking for women from other countries/cultures because of the lack of women with traditional values in society today.

Take all this with a grain of salt as I'm probably not one to be giving advice to singles.
MGTOW isn't completely wrong, I agree w/ them in some areas, that's why Tinder & other dating sites works amazingly for a few but terrible for others, for example, & lack of girls w/ traditional values. Still I think MGTOW's attitude overall is toxic. Not everyone (male or female) is looking for just hookups nor is your average girl looking for someone w/ 6 figures. IDK, maybe I'm just naive b/c I'm a poor soul who's never dated & want to have some glimmer of hope. I try to avoid MGTOW as much as I can, it's just not a very healthy attitude to surround yourself w/.

Where I live, we are all focused on our careers and resume. That defines our success in life and if it's not up to a certain standard, then marriage is not feasible because both, man and woman, need to have a career. If a man doesn't have a job, then a woman will not give him any attention. If a woman doesn't have a job, then a man will think she's lazy or incapable.

This line of thinking is very common where I live (Major cities to mid-size cities/towns) . Also have to consider the cost of living and people here don't get married until they are about 30+ because of financial reasons. Basically, your income and job determines if you are ready to marry or not (that's also including kids if you're already married).

For me, ever since I got saved, marriage has been a thought more so now than when I wasn't following Christ. However, I'll accept singlehood or marriage if God puts that on my path. When I wasn't following Christ, that was the last thing on my mind (plus feminism really distorts our line of thinking).
Right, but they're still dating I bet, they're just holding off on marriage.

• Agree
Reactions: bèlla
Upvote 0

bèlla

❤️
Site Supporter
Jan 16, 2019
USA
✟947,218.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
In Relationship
Just because a philosophy exists doesn’t mean it influences everyone. We make choices and lend our ears to some things and repel others.

Can a Christian be a satanist? The idea is unthinkable. The same holds true for men and women.

All men aren’t players or pick up artists. All women aren’t gold diggers or opportunists. The majority are ordinary folks seeking someone to share their lives with.

Maybe that’s you. Believing the worst about the opposite sex isn’t the best way to find a partner. A few bad apples isn’t the lot.

You attract what you are.
  • Your thoughts affect the kind of person you attract
  • Your behavior affects the kind of person you attract
  • Your words affect the kind of person you attract
  • Your beliefs affect the kind of person you attract
If you don’t like the people you’re attracting look in the mirror. You can’t blame feminism, patriarchy, etc.

• Informative
Reactions: Vinter
Upvote 0

philadelphos

Sydney
Jun 20, 2019
Sydney
✟45,144.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Single

"Need" is perhaps more correct than "desire" to marry in the OP question. And how does one know another's desire, since desire is a private matter, in the heart? (more on that in moment)

Looking back at the origin of marriage, Eve was God's gift to Adam, addressing his loneliness. After the fall, "Unto the woman he said, I will greatly multiply thy sorrow and thy conception; in sorrow thou shalt bring forth children; and thy desire shall be to thy husband, and he shall rule over thee." (Gen 3:16) So Eve's desire for marriage/husband is out of pregnancy/child-rearing. For the rest of us pro-created beings it's a cyclical relationship, and a bit of both Adam and Eve. Both gender need each other, as a child needs mother and father. Synchronising the timing is the challenge, at least ime.

About 'desire'. Studies have been done that debunk myths about male sexual desire being greater than female. Also finding that men are stimulated by some things (mostly women), women are stimulated by many things (find the research yourself, I won't quote it here).

Decades back when life was relatively free, when money/work/housing wasn't an obstacle to life and social mobility, women were also more conservative, and married earlier, much earlier. And in ancient history, marrying at puberty was normal. In fact in Judaism, it's at puberty when adult life begins. But conservatism in the West is more a hyper-religious product of Protestantism and Puritanism, where flashing an ankle or neckline was socially criminal, "causing a fellow brother's to stumble and sin". Which when tied to a culture of shame, guilt, blaming, hyper-conservativism, church courts, and witch trials (many who falsely accused their wives), women would respond by being careful and considerate of their power over men. Out of love and fear of execution. But that also gave way to sexual-repression, sexlessness, unnatural or lack of any displays of intimacy, expressing emotion, connectivity, etc. Affecting both gender (perhaps why divorces is so common now, loveless marriage). When Feminism (and gender equality rights) came alone it opened a huge can of worms, unshackling women from oppression (both real and imagined e.g. wife beating) but also all the toxic aspects of femininity. Along with 500+ years of sexual and social repression, since the Reformation era. So yeah it could be said, women have "stronger desire to get married", since it's been attributed to women, child-rearing is practically their job. To become a "mum" is practically synonymous to becoming a real woman. But in saying that, I'll be crude and say there are two types of women (in a man's eyes): beautiful women and ugly women. And unfortunately, ugly women tend not to get married. Also beautiful women, aren't necessarily full of "desire" either. Lol!

So expression/display of desire, or sexual liberty, or sexual worth, is actually a sign of female oppression, having to objectify herself in order to signal their worth, to attract a mate. And vice versa which happens for example with men in Sweden.

But Christ clarifies that our problems are from within (in both gender), from the "heart". It's not an economic, social, political, or a power balance issue. Something inside isn't right. Therefore our relationships aren't right, with one another and with God our maker. And much if not all of the onus/emphasis is placed on us men.

Mark 7:21, "For from within, out of the heart of men, proceed evil thoughts, adulteries, fornications, murders,..."

Marriage is a model of the relationship between God and Christ, Christ and his church. It teaches us about love, and demonstrates God's love to others in both a practical and theoretical way, e.g. feeding and teaching children. "Be fruitful and multiply" has always been God's "will" for mankind.

On the flip-side marriage also functions as a backstop for sin:

1 Corinthians 7 -- "Now concerning the things whereof ye wrote unto me: It is good for a man not to touch a woman. Nevertheless, to avoid fornication, let every man have his own wife, and let every woman have her own husband. Let the husband render unto the wife due benevolence: and likewise also the wife unto the husband. The wife hath not power of her own body, but the husband: and likewise also the husband hath not power of his own body, but the wife. ...I say therefore to the unmarried and widows, it is good for them if they abide even as I. But if they cannot contain, let them marry: for it is better to marry than to burn."

@MissFaithfully "This line of thinking is very common where I live". How sad. The world is a cruel place.

Here in Sydney, an entry-level house can easily cost $1m. Apartments start at $700k. My client's houses cost $10-30m. And it's only getting worse. Meaning that to buy a house through a bank mort-gage (death sentence!) is actual voluntary enslavement, typically 25-30yrs. Simultaneously enslavement to the company/job/employer who indirectly pays for your mortgage, your shelter. The gross hypocrisy and irony is that even the Prime Minister's job only lasts a 4 year term (x2 if he re-elected). Therefore, governments, banks, and companies effectively have capitalised/monopolised marriage, on human relationships. I hate it. There's a lot more I could say, but just gotta focus on Christ, God's provision.

Scripture emphatically teaches us that we are "free" (redeemed) purchased by the blood of Christ. The good news is redemption from sin, Satan and the shackles of this world. But obviously that promise (new creation, God's kingdom) hasn't arrived. So in our generation, the challenge is live faithfully instead of worldly. IOWs, generally-speaking, I believe it's best to marry asap where possible, preventing other sins to fester and grow. To marry regardless of worldly circumstance, instead of marriage to be determined by worldly circumstance. Because "A man cannot serve two masters" (Mt 6:24). It's either love or money/job-enslavement/company-enslavement/boxed into a career specialty. And if one's marriage is determined by the world rather than Christ and Scripture, then that marriage would be doomed to fail. It would be a marriage of convenience, money, power/stability, and whatever else, perhaps also vanity (token trophy wife/husband). Whereas what Paul teaches is to voluntarily submit/yield to loved-ones. "Submitting yourselves one to another in the fear of God." (Eph 5:21) Forming the basis and meaning of marriage, and love for neighbour in general. "Greater love hath no man than this, that a man lay down his life for his friends." (Jn 15:13). It's absolute Christ-likeness. The paradox, however, is that that level of love and self-sacrifice can in deed be achieved through the very thing that seemingly prevents or deters people from marriage in the first place: money/work/housing/job/career. But to tackle it from this pov would take much more faith, being a tight rope walk over hell itself. But theoretically very much possible! :)

Upvote 0