Site Supporter
Jul 27, 2009
Ohio
✟1,083,816.00
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Private
From Amazon I ordered a pretty big kitchen appliance that, with parts, came in 3 separate, and large, boxes. It was defective so I had to send it back. No way I was going to take the time to put everything back exactly as it was sent and drag those 3 boxes to UPS. I did make sure all the equipment, though, and instruction books, were included in one return box in a way that was very unlikely to lead to damage in transit - and got my refund.

But then I got to thinking, on the one hand you could say those two empty boxes, with their inked on pretty red bows, and one egg carton type thing left behind, belonged to the manufacturer. On the other hand, I didn't get compensated for all the frustration I felt, and all the time I wasted, trying to get the darned machine to work, nor compensation for having to pack everything up and drag a heavy box to UPS, so I figure we are even. Your opinion?

Reactions: Tayla

nonaeroterraqueous

Nonexistent Member
Aug 16, 2014
✟188,987.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
If it really was defective, then the exact method of packaging probably isn't important, because they can't/shouldn't turn it around and sell it to anyone else, anyway. I have seen packages that upon close inspection appeared to be items previously ordered, tampered with and then returned, only to be sold again. Having it look just as nice upon return only made it easier for the seller to keep sending it until someone eventually procrastinated too long to send it back.

Upvote 0

yeshuaslavejeff

simple truth, martyr, disciple of Yahshua
Jan 6, 2005
okie
✟214,996.00
Faith
Anabaptist
You want to be "even" with the world ?
==========================================
QUOTE="LoricaLady, post: 72880800, member: 246985"]From Amazon I ordered a pretty big kitchen appliance that, with parts, came in 3 separate, and large, boxes. It was defective so I had to send it back. No way I was going to take the time to put everything back exactly as it was sent and drag those 3 boxes to UPS. I did make sure all the equipment, though, and instruction books, were included in one return box in a way that was very unlikely to lead to damage in transit - and got my refund.

But then I got to thinking, on the one hand you could say those two empty boxes, with their inked on pretty red bows, and one egg carton type thing left behind, belonged to the manufacturer. On the other hand, I didn't get compensated for all the frustration I felt, and all the time I wasted, trying to get the darned machine to work, nor compensation for having to pack everything up and drag a heavy box to UPS, so I figure we are even. Your opinion?[/QUOTE

Upvote 0

LoricaLady

YHWH's
Site Supporter
Jul 27, 2009
Ohio
✟1,083,816.00
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Private
If it really was defective, then the exact method of packaging probably isn't important, because they can't/shouldn't turn it around and sell it to anyone else, anyway. I have seen packages that upon close inspection appeared to be items previously ordered, tampered with and then returned, only to be sold again. Having it look just as nice upon return only made it easier for the seller to keep sending it until someone eventually procrastinated too long to send it back.
Now there's an interesting point of view!

Upvote 0

dreadnought

Lip service isn't really service.
Site Supporter
Aug 4, 2012
Reno, Nevada
✟313,356.00
Country
United States
Faith
United Methodist
Marital Status
Celibate
From Amazon I ordered a pretty big kitchen appliance that, with parts, came in 3 separate, and large, boxes. It was defective so I had to send it back. No way I was going to take the time to put everything back exactly as it was sent and drag those 3 boxes to UPS. I did make sure all the equipment, though, and instruction books, were included in one return box in a way that was very unlikely to lead to damage in transit - and got my refund.

But then I got to thinking, on the one hand you could say those two empty boxes, with their inked on pretty red bows, and one egg carton type thing left behind, belonged to the manufacturer. On the other hand, I didn't get compensated for all the frustration I felt, and all the time I wasted, trying to get the darned machine to work, nor compensation for having to pack everything up and drag a heavy box to UPS, so I figure we are even. Your opinion?
I don't think you stole anything.

Upvote 0

LoricaLady

YHWH's
Site Supporter
Jul 27, 2009
Ohio
✟1,083,816.00
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Private
You want to be "even" with the world ?
==========================================
QUOTE="LoricaLady, post: 72880800, member: 246985"]From Amazon I ordered a pretty big kitchen appliance that, with parts, came in 3 separate, and large, boxes. It was defective so I had to send it back. No way I was going to take the time to put everything back exactly as it was sent and drag those 3 boxes to UPS. I did make sure all the equipment, though, and instruction books, were included in one return box in a way that was very unlikely to lead to damage in transit - and got my refund.

But then I got to thinking, on the one hand you could say those two empty boxes, with their inked on pretty red bows, and one egg carton type thing left behind, belonged to the manufacturer. On the other hand, I didn't get compensated for all the frustration I felt, and all the time I wasted, trying to get the darned machine to work, nor compensation for having to pack everything up and drag a heavy box to UPS, so I figure we are even. Your opinion?[/QUOTE
It is part of our culture, and not unBiblical, for those who have done us damage to grant compensation in some way. This happens all the time in courts of law. And I wasn't "even", really, because those two left behind boxes no way make up for my wasted time and frustration. As someone above said, the product was defective, so they shouldn't use the boxes and pack it up to someone else anyway.

Upvote 0

LoricaLady

YHWH's
Site Supporter
Jul 27, 2009
Ohio
✟1,083,816.00
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Private
P.S. Sabertooth Well, there there was one other thing.... I had hurt my hand and arm a couple of days before that, in a fall. Re-packing the box, and carrying it to the car and to UPS etc. was kinda concerning and sometimes a bit painful. So the only problems the equipment gave me were not just lost time and frustration.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

dqhall

Site Supporter
Jul 21, 2015
Florida
Visit site
✟766,603.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single

Not worth shipping an empty box to the shipper. Might be better to put three boxes in one larger box to ship back if it happens again.

• Friendly
Reactions: LoricaLady
Upvote 0

Dave L

Site Supporter
Jun 28, 2018
USA
✟580,140.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

I bought some discounted goods from Amazon people returned. Their description said something like "might not include original packaging" or "might have cosmetic issues". And several of these items came in repackaged cartons that were not original. I normally buy seconds or repackaged if given the choice and Amazon is always great with customer service if anything isn't right.

Upvote 0

ewq1938

I love you three.
Christian Forums Staff
Administrator
Site Supporter
Nov 5, 2011
✟916,399.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
I bought some discounted goods from Amazon people returned. Their description said something like "might not include original packaging" or "might have cosmetic issues". And several of these items came in repackaged cartons that were not original. I normally buy seconds or repackaged if given the choice and Amazon is always great with customer service if anything isn't right.

Where do you find these?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

JIMINZ

Apr 13, 2017
Southern Ga.
✟157,715.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married

But, then I got to thinking, on the one hand you could say those two empty boxes, with their inked on pretty red bows, and one egg carton type thing left behind, belonged to the manufacturer. On the other hand, I didn't get compensated for all the frustration I felt, and all the time I wasted, trying to get the darned machine to work, nor compensation for having to pack everything up and drag a heavy box to UPS, so I figure we are even. Your opinion?

If you intended to keep the boxes, and the egg carton thingy, for some nefarious purpose, then yes, you stole them.

But, if what you did was for your convenience, and the boxes were left over after repackaging, then no.

God is not going to ascribe sin to you because you are a more efficient packer than Amazon is.

Upvote 0

LoricaLady

YHWH's
Site Supporter
Jul 27, 2009
Ohio
✟1,083,816.00
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Private
If you intended to keep the boxes, and the egg carton thingy, for some nefarious purpose, then yes, you stole them.

But, if what you did was for your convenience, and the boxes were left over after repackaging, then no.

God is not going to ascribe sin to you because you are a more efficient packer than Amazon is.
I have negative interest in the boxes or the egg carton type things. They have to be broken down and cut apart to fit into garbage bags, a hassle.

Upvote 0

Dave L

Site Supporter
Jun 28, 2018
USA
✟580,140.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Where do you find these?
If you look closely, many times Amazon will have different purchase options. "Buy used" or "Buy reconditioned" etc., linked on the same page as the item you are considering. Then the details about repackaging or scratch and dent follow on the linked page along with the different price options. I don't think every item allows for this, but many do.

Upvote 0