Do you think that using inappropriate contentography is equal to cheating?

OK Jeff

Jan 19, 2017
NA
✟63,383.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
And many people are diabolically wrong having not yet come to genuine repentance. i recall a guy before his baptism saying he confessed his "inappropriate content addiction" ..i stopped it right there . i told him NO .. you confess your SIN against GOD . and nothing less and YOU repent of it .nothing less .

The moment a person uses the word "addiction" they are excusing them-self of any responsibility for their own chosen behavior .
You are dead wrong for reasons explained above.

Upvote 0

Deidre32

Follow Thy Heart
Mar 23, 2014
Somewhere else...
✟74,866.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
I used to think inappropriate content was not as bad of a sin as cheating. But then I realized something. With literal cheating, it happens once. Then it may go away. The spouse may be hurt and have trust issues. But its usually done with.

Where as with inappropriate content, it happens over and over and over. For some they can be stuck in its grasp for years or even decades. So while theres not the pain of being cheated on physically. There is the pain of knowing the spouse has a long battle with inappropriate content.

Though if I had to chose I'd rather be cheated on and hurt by knowing someone was looking at inappropriate content then be cheated on physically. Thats alot harder to get over.
This is a really amazing post. I feel God’s grace through it. Thanks for explaining it like this.

Upvote 0

Deidre32

Follow Thy Heart
Mar 23, 2014
Somewhere else...
✟74,866.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
And many people are diabolically wrong having not yet come to genuine repentance. i recall a guy before his baptism saying he confessed his "inappropriate content addiction" ..i stopped it right there . i told him NO .. you confess your SIN against GOD . and nothing less and YOU repent of it .nothing less .

The moment a person uses the word "addiction" they are excusing them-self of any responsibility for their own chosen behavior .
Yea, I see where you're coming from, I just wonder if that's the wording some people choose, but they know they've been holding onto sin. It's hard to admit things, we are all sinners. It is much better to just let God know we are sorry for our sins, than offer up a word salad that seems to be more in line with the world's words. I do believe addictions are real, addictions come in many forms, and they ensnare people in sin. So, we need to have an attitude of grace with people who are lost in sin, through addictions.

Upvote 0

Alithis

Disciple of Jesus .
Nov 11, 2010
Mobile
✟101,992.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Yea, I see where you're coming from, I just wonder if that's the wording some people choose, but they know they've been holding onto sin. It's hard to admit things, we are all sinners. It is much better to just let God know we are sorry for our sins, than offer up a word salad that seems to be more in line with the world's words. I do believe addictions are real, addictions come in many forms, and they ensnare people in sin. So, we need to have an attitude of grace with people who are lost in sin, through addictions.
not when it comes to repentance - if there is no recognition of responsibility and guilt -there can be no repentance either .
the lord Jesus came to set us free from "sin" the way to obtain what he had accomplished is to do what he says based on us believing him . weve had to much pandering to peoples sensitivities and they wont be pandered to in hell fire ,so its not helping them to pander to them now.
the point on topic - inappropriate content IS SIN ..not addiction .

Upvote 0

OK Jeff

Jan 19, 2017
NA
✟63,383.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Let me clarify. I am an alcoholic, sober for seven years. I went through years of shaming as stated above. It was absolutely fruitless, as it comes from a point of ignorance. Since you’re more interested in being right than opening your mind to a different (and effective) way of thinking, let me clarify. I said above, calling an addiction so DOES NOT NEGATE RESPONSIBILITY. IT ADDS TO IT. But it also identifies the problem. I spent five years in church listening to Christians such as yourself shame me as I sat in true repentance, knowing I’d likely fall again. Because strength in ones self isn’t even close to good enough. The very first words in a 12 step program are “Admitted I was powerless over (insert problem here), that my life had become unmanageable”. Followed by “came to believe a power greater than myself could restore me to sanity”. Then “turned my life and my will over to the care of God, as I understood Him”. This works. Shaming does not. Your type of shaming is a wonderful excuse for the person to emerge him/herself deeper into the problem, knowing he/she can never live up to to the standards you judgingly preach. I’ve been there sir. Your closed minded, all knowing, arrogant, deliver ignorance of the core issue is why church doesn’t help these problems. Ironically it was AA that unlocked the door to my salvation. A door I locked after growing up in a legalistic church.

Reactions: Dan61861
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Dave-W

Welcoming grandchild #7, Arturus Waggoner!
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2014
Maryland - just north of D.C.
Visit site
✟771,800.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
So a new born that is addicted to crack cocaine is responsible??

You have a very legalistic way of looking at things Althis. The problem with legalism is it ignores God’s compassion and tenderness.

Upvote 0

savedthroughgrace

Aug 21, 2018
South
✟34,335.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I believe GoT is referencing Game of Thrones. An HBO show full of nudity and full on sex acts . IMO believers should avoid this show whether they struggle with inappropriate content or not. It is simply another pattern of the world of normalizing sin - broadcasting it on television .

Upvote 0

Deidre32

Follow Thy Heart
Mar 23, 2014
Somewhere else...
✟74,866.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
It’s not a show built around nudity and sex scenes. There are those scenes in it but honestly as the show progressed, there were less and less. I binged the show and fast forwarded through much of that because I felt the scenes were denegrading to women and sex. The writing and plot is strong, imo. But to each their own. I don’t believe watching GoT changes my faith walk. But perhaps someone who struggles with inappropriate content might. Idk.

Upvote 0

Deidre32

Follow Thy Heart
Mar 23, 2014
Somewhere else...
✟74,866.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
you can try to use your reasoning before God ,but i only advice to do what the ONE god sent to save us says to do . Believe and repent .
While what you say is true, God is merciful, and he reaches down to us where we are. However we are, however we got there, he only looks to the heart for repentance.

• Agree
Reactions: OK Jeff
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Deidre32

Follow Thy Heart
Mar 23, 2014
Somewhere else...
✟74,866.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Let me clarify. I am an alcoholic, sober for seven years. I went through years of shaming as stated above. It was absolutely fruitless, as it comes from a point of ignorance. Since you’re more interested in being right than opening your mind to a different (and effective) way of thinking, let me clarify. I said above, calling an addiction so DOES NOT NEGATE RESPONSIBILITY. IT ADDS TO IT. But it also identifies the problem. I spent five years in church listening to Christians such as yourself shame me as I sat in true repentance, knowing I’d likely fall again. Because strength in ones self isn’t even close to good enough. The very first words in a 12 step program are “Admitted I was powerless over (insert problem here), that my life had become unmanageable”. Followed by “came to believe a power greater than myself could restore me to sanity”. Then “turned my life and my will over to the care of God, as I understood Him”. This works. Shaming does not. Your type of shaming is a wonderful excuse for the person to emerge him/herself deeper into the problem, knowing he/she can never live up to to the standards you judgingly preach. I’ve been there sir. Your closed minded, all knowing, arrogant, deliver ignorance of the core issue is why church doesn’t help these problems. Ironically it was AA that unlocked the door to my salvation. A door I locked after growing up in a legalistic church.
I'm not sure he's saying that shaming is the answer, but rather we need to be careful to not call something an addiction and end it there. I think that's what mainstream culture teaches us. ''You're not responsible for why you cheated, stole, are a sex addict, addicted to inappropriate content, etc... it's just not your fault.'' It's a popular sentiment in mainstream culture.

• Agree
Reactions: Dave-W
Upvote 0

OK Jeff

Jan 19, 2017
NA
✟63,383.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I'm not sure he's saying that shaming is the answer, but rather we need to be careful to not call something an addiction and end it there. I think that's what mainstream culture teaches us. ''You're not responsible for why you cheated, stole, are a sex addict, addicted to inappropriate content, etc... it's just not your fault.'' It's a popular sentiment in mainstream culture.
When did anyone here say it ends there? That’s quite the opposite of what I said.

Upvote 0

Deidre32

Follow Thy Heart
Mar 23, 2014
Somewhere else...
✟74,866.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Thus my original point about addiction.
I can't remember, I'd have to go back. Sorry :oops:

This is a long thread, now. I think what I'd like to see in the Christian community is less finger pointing, and more helping one another...helping those who struggle with sin, whatever sin that may be. Ultimately, a person has to repent and want to change. But, change isn't always easy, and some people might need help from others. I just would like to see less Christian judgement, and more compassion.

• Winner
Reactions: 2PhiloVoid
Upvote 0