Do you think reading the bible is important?

Ttalkkugjil

Social Pastor
Mar 6, 2019
Suwon
✟34,572.00
Country
Korea, Republic Of
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Others
A person was talking about jesus with me recently, and during our conversation she admitted she's never actually read the bible. She's only only ever watched "the passion of christ". In fact I've met several people like that one of them even wanted to convert me. So my question is do you think its important for a Christian to have read the bible?

Yes.

Upvote 0

dlamberth

Senior Contributor
Site Supporter
Oct 12, 2003
Oregon
✟732,009.00
Faith
Other Religion
Politics
US-Others
Could you explain what you mean?
That was in response to your question asked in post#157 which is: "What is your best argument for rejecting Jesus Christ?".

To which I'm suggesting that when it's really the whole of Christian theology that's being rejected, the focus of your question becomes pointless.

Upvote 0

the iconoclast

Atheism is weak. Yep, I said it
Feb 10, 2015
✟39,361.00
Country
Burkina Faso
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Private
Seems pretty straight forward to me.

Hey hey bhsmte :)

Im glad it was very straight forward to you and you guessed correctly, that it was in response to my question asked in post#157 which is: "What is your best argument for rejecting Jesus Christ?".

Congratulations and good work. :oldthumbsup:

You seem interested in me. Is there anything you want from me?

Cheere

Upvote 0

dlamberth

Senior Contributor
Site Supporter
Oct 12, 2003
Oregon
✟732,009.00
Faith
Other Religion
Politics
US-Others
Hey hey you ;) well thats a shame:(

Then why did you engage me?

Do you want me to answer your question still? Or do you want me to feel low?

Cheers
Actually I was engaging your question. I felt that the assumptions built into it had short comings, which I highlighted. I wasn't looking for anything more beyond that.

Upvote 0

the iconoclast

Feb 10, 2015
✟39,361.00
Country
Burkina Faso
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Private
Actually I was engaging your question. I felt that the assumptions built into it had short comings, which I highlighted. I wasn't looking for anything more beyond that.

Hey hey my dear :)

So do you want something from me or not? Do you not want to discuss or would you prefer to just make a statement?

Upvote 0

dlamberth

Senior Contributor
Site Supporter
Oct 12, 2003
Oregon
✟732,009.00
Faith
Other Religion
Politics
US-Others
Hey hey my dear :)

So do you want something from me or not? Do you not want to discuss or would you prefer to just make a statement?
Do you have something to say? Dumb question, I know.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Natsumi Lam

Preparer of the Bride
Site Supporter
Jan 31, 2015
✟120,306.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
A person was talking about jesus with me recently, and during our conversation she admitted she's never actually read the bible. She's only only ever watched "the passion of christ". In fact I've met several people like that one of them even wanted to convert me. So my question is do you think its important for a Christian to have read the bible?

Rightly divides the Word of Truth.

Upvote 0

Noxot

anarchist personalist
Site Supporter
Aug 6, 2007
dallas, texas
Visit site
✟231,339.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
The importance of reading, and to a greater extent obeying, the Bible is largely symbolic. Like saying the pledge of allegiance in the United States, or rooting for the home team, the value of the act is less about the thing itself and more to do with what it signals about you. The literal meaning of each of these breaks down on close inspection. Rooting for the home team for example has no real literal meaning, how could it? The players change over time, the name changes, heck even the location changes (hey Oilers fans). So what does it even mean to root for "the team" when what constitutes the team is constantly changing? Never the same man nor the same river. Being a home team fan means something more abstract and at the same time much more practical, like "I am a loyal person. I am a fierce friend and a fierce foe, so you want me on your side."

Reading the Bible is likewise more about signaling. The literal value of reading the Bible depends where and when you are in the world, and each of those places and times has had a more or less different Bible. In the vast majority illiteracy and lack of cheap copies made reading the Bible impossible. Also reading too much of the Bible is often even corrosive to faith as others mentioned above. Again the real meaning is something more like "I will sacrifice my time for my tribe" or less commonly "I am educated on our tribe enough to beat would-be attackers".

nice evolutionary psychology :p though it's quite the black pill to swallow. but I love black pills. the flesh is something that even the bible speaks of. it's not something we escape from but we can develop or be dominated by it to whatever degrees. that seems to me to be some kind of divine game that God made up but everyone has their different desires and perceptions in and of reality which help us become what we are.

how one is in relation to the bible is also based in the rest of the personality and intent as well. there are many different games humans play with it. the sacredness of something is based on that which is of the utmost of sacred things - the human.

i'm happy that we are in a new age where humans are less likely to murder you for being different than they are. ofc Christians claim that this change in the world was largely due to the coming of Christ. humans of all kinds have some unique richness to add if they have any life in them.

Upvote 0

bhsmte

Apr 26, 2013
✟247,431.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Hey hey bhsmte :)

Im glad it was very straight forward to you and you guessed correctly, that it was in response to my question asked in post#157 which is: "What is your best argument for rejecting Jesus Christ?".

Congratulations and good work. :oldthumbsup:

You seem interested in me. Is there anything you want from me?

Cheere

To believe in fantastic claims, i require evidence that is more than simply ancient stories to confirm. You see, man can write anything they wish in stories, last i checked.

So, if i look at the claims christians make about this god and overlay that with well evidenced reality, i conclude this god is man made, like many other god stories.

You can believe it though. And, i dont need anything from you.

Reactions: Zoness
Upvote 0

Rich in Christ

Apr 3, 2019
stone mountain
✟15,201.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
To read the Bible is very important and only a few things I learned as a Christian as important as this is for our growth as a Christian is to meditate on God's word so we for sure have the word of God not only in our head but in our heart. Also to be loving!

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Noxot

anarchist personalist
Site Supporter
Aug 6, 2007
dallas, texas
Visit site
✟231,339.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
To believe in fantastic claims, i require evidence that is more than simply ancient stories to confirm. You see, man can write anything they wish in stories, last i checked.

So, if i look at the claims christians make about this god and overlay that with well evidenced reality, i conclude this god is man made, like many other god stories.

You can believe it though. And, i dont need anything from you.

if I have to be autistic and take you literally then I would say if you can't find something to value in X person then you are not trying very hard or you are ignorant in much the same way as your average carbon copy religious zealot is.

you already subscribe to the modernist mythology tribe so there is no convincing you just as much as there is no convincing me as we are going to be whatever we favor and think has meaning or value.

I mean what kind of evidence do you want? the truth is that there is a spiritual world and everything we are at the very starting abyss of is based in freedom which then filters into the limitations called our experience of reality. i'm using my own language to talk about my experience of reality just like you use your own.

imo atheist should attack and question the idea of an absolute called God and get at the root of the problem rather than assume things about god/s in a manner that primitive metaphysics think of divine beings to be like. ask the depths of religion which is mystical in nature and the religious philosophers, which you already reject, not the childish effects of the common mans cruder conceptions.

I don't care that you don't accept my religion, I don't even accept my religion. I just get annoyed that atheist attack the 10 year old version of Christianity. it all probably boils down to experience, desire, perception, reaction, and metaphysical beliefs.

Upvote 0

bhsmte

Apr 26, 2013
✟247,431.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
if I have to be autistic and take you literally then I would say if you can't find something to value in X person then you are not trying very hard or you are ignorant in much the same way as your average carbon copy religious zealot is.

you already subscribe to the modernist mythology tribe so there is no convincing you just as much as there is no convincing me as we are going to be whatever we favor and think has meaning or value.

I mean what kind of evidence do you want? the truth is that there is a spiritual world and everything we are at the very starting abyss of is based in freedom which then filters into the limitations called our experience of reality. i'm using my own language to talk about my experience of reality just like you use your own.

imo atheist should attack and question the idea of an absolute called God and get at the root of the problem rather than assume things about god/s in a manner that primitive metaphysics of what divine beings are like. ask the depths of religion which is mystical in nature and the religious philosophers, which you already reject, not the childish effects of the common mans cruder conceptions.

I don't care that you don't accept my religion, I don't even accept my religion. I just get annoyed that atheist attack the 10 year old version of Christianity. it all probably boils down to experience, desire, perception, reaction, and metaphysical beliefs.

Think about why you reject other gods and other religions and it should give you perspective.

For me, i dont care what people believe or dont believe. I am much more interested in how one personally justifies their belief and how they treat people who may disagree with them.

Upvote 0

Noxot

anarchist personalist
Site Supporter
Aug 6, 2007
dallas, texas
Visit site
✟231,339.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Think about why you reject other gods and other religions and it should give you perspective.

For me, i dont care what people believe or dont believe. I am much more interested in how one personally justifies their belief and how they treat people who may disagree with them.

your interest seem to be something that God would share as well. that means I already see you as in Christ in some measure.

I don't reject other gods when I understand them according to spiritual methods. I accept and reject things according to the nature of my being. when you want to learn about science stuff you do it in the spirit of science. when you want to learn about religious stuff you do it with religious methods. I don't care that atheist exist because I think it is another game that God wants to play.

I guess it is hard to be a great person and not turn into a barbarian, I have often become such. but imperfection can add more flavor to life. it's just a theme to make my experience of reality even better.

I don't think that humans are supposed to get rid of that unknown chaos that always exist with us. I think it is an inbuilt feature to reality that God is not at all compelling us to believe in him. that is why Jesus came as a basic nobody in some tiny country rather than as a Caesar in a big powerful country.

I don't think that the capacity of my mind to "imagine" things should be reduced to the obvious parts of reality such as the fact that i'm a animal. what I can conceive of is just a capacity that can reach for the infinite being of God. one of my metaphysical assumptions is that I think that man is like God, which means we can know him since I reason that like can know or partake of like.

Upvote 0

the iconoclast

Feb 10, 2015
✟39,361.00
Country
Burkina Faso
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Private

Hey hey you

I disagree. Where do we go from here?

Cheers

Upvote 0

dlamberth

Senior Contributor
Site Supporter
Oct 12, 2003
Oregon
✟732,009.00
Faith
Other Religion
Politics
US-Others
T
It seems to be a God following the design of the ancient Pagan Greek/Roman Gods. Those God's, like the Christian God, sat on a throne up high on a Mountain or Cloud somewhere but very much apart and separate from Creation while passing judgment, and who were angry, jealous, directing instructions of war and punishment to those who did not obey, destroying cities and throwing lightening bolts around.

• Agree
Reactions: Rajni
Upvote 0