Do you think god wrote music trough bach?

jesuslover811

Dec 3, 2021
Nowhere
✟6,973.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
“I play the notes as they are written, but it is God who makes the music.”
― Johann Sebastian Bach

I cannot remember who but ive read many quotes from classical composers saying they got all the notes from god literally. Like god was sending the music into their minds.

• Friendly
Reactions: public hermit

jesuslover811

Dec 3, 2021
Nowhere
✟6,973.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Not from me – from there [heaven], above, comes everything!
Franz Joseph Haydn (1732 – 1809)

I will now tell you and your young friend here about my method of communicating with the Infinite, for all truly inspired ideas come from God. Beethoven, who was my ideal, was well aware of this. When I feel the urge, I begin by appealing straight to my Maker…. Straightaway the ideas flow in upon me, directly from God, and not only do I see distinct themes in my mind’s eyes, but they are clothed in the right forms, harmonies and orchestration.

You see, the powers from which all truly great composers like Mozart, Schubert, Bach and Beethoven drew their inspirations is the same power that enabled Jesus to do his miracles. I know several young composers who are atheists. I have read their scores, and I assure you, Joseph, that they are doomed to speedy oblivion, because they are utterly lacking in inspiration. Their works are purely cerebral. The great Nazarene (Jesus) knew that law also, and He proclaimed it in John 15:4, ‘The branch cannot bear fruit of itself, except it abide in the vine.’ No atheist has ever been or ever will be a great composer.”

Brahms to a journalist in 1896

Upvote 0

Bradskii

Can you tell a green field from a cold steel rail?
Aug 19, 2018
Bondi
✟252,572.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
No. Dave Gilmore.

And this from Bach...

...inspired this by McCartney:

I can play one of them. And it's not the one by the German guy.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

public hermit

social troglodyte
Site Supporter
Aug 20, 2019
East Coast
✟836,582.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
― Johann Sebastian Bach

I cannot remember who but ive read many quotes from classical composers saying they got all the notes from god literally. Like god was sending the music into their minds.

There is long tradition from antiquity, which includes much of Christian tradition, that equates goodness, beauty, and truth. Specifically, to participate in beauty is to participate in divine beauty since divinity is the source of all that is beautiful. All those attributes (beauty, goodness, truth) are one in divinity.

What that could mean is that one can say "God makes the music" without equivocation, even though Bach was playing instead of the divine. How? In a Platonic sense, it is still true by participation. If you do something good or beautiful or true, that matters since the good and beautiful and true are the final essence of all that has being.

Still, I have no idea what Bach meant.

• Haha
Reactions: jesuslover811
Upvote 0

Subduction Zone

Dec 17, 2012
✟230,461.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
No. Dave Gilmore.

And this from Bach...

...inspired this by McCartney:

I can play one of them. And it's not the one by the German guy.
Hah! I can play them both equally well.

That is to say, I cannot play either at all. Though I can admire the music.

Reactions: Bradskii
Upvote 0

Landon Caeli

God is perfect - Nothing is an accident
Site Supporter
Jan 8, 2016
CA
✟569,105.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others

"Throughout history, God has blessed certain individuals with the ability to create surpassingly beautiful music. Some of the most famous of these composers, such as Bach, Mozart, Haydn, and Brahms, believed that God assisted them in their efforts."

Four Composers Who Were Priests: Music and the Divine

Upvote 0

SkyWriting

The Librarian
Site Supporter
Jan 10, 2010
Milwaukee
✟410,948.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
― Johann Sebastian Bach

What we don't have easy access to in the human mind
is thousands of times greater than what we do.
But with practice we can form connections.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

d taylor

Oct 16, 2018
Mississippi
✟250,304.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
A person is not able to take single breath. if it was not for God's grace. If you do not think so, try breathing after you have died.

Artistic savants are a good example of exceptional talents coming out of no where. No long hours of music/art school training, just a gift from God.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums