Do you think Christians sin? If so, what common unconfessed sins do you think Jesus forgives?

Bible Highlighter

Law of the Lord is perfect, converting the soul.
Site Supporter
Jul 22, 2014
✟1,192,985.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
full

Upvote 0

Solomon Smith

Sep 25, 2018
Idaho
✟8,377.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Single
I had problems before uploading images to Christian Forums.

Let me help you. The solution is to:

#1. Go to Christian Forums main page.
#2. Click on the Media button.
#3. Click on the Add Media button.
#4. Choose from drop down box to "Create Album" and name it.
#5. Click upload image.
#6. Click the Save button.
#7. Select the Image to View it in your Media Gallery.
#8. Right Click on the Image you want to use.
#9. Select the Option called "Copy Image Address."
#10. Go back to the thread you want to a post a picture at.
#11. Select the picture icon (Next to the video icon).
#12. Paste the image link in the pop up window and voila!

I hope that helps;
And may God bless you.

I’m using my IPhone and having problems attaching images. I’ll try later from my home computer.

Upvote 0

Bible Highlighter

Site Supporter
Jul 22, 2014
✟1,192,985.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
The only difference (with your Iphone) is that you have to:

(a) Click on "Menu" to select "Media" and
(b) Scroll to the bottom and copy the image code (once the image is saved in your gallery).

Upvote 0

Solomon Smith

Sep 25, 2018
Idaho
✟8,377.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Single
The only difference (with your Iphone) is that you have to:

(a) Click on "Menu" to select "Media" and
(b) Scroll to the bottom and copy the image code (once the image is saved in your gallery).

It says “image not found”

Upvote 0

Billy Evmur

Brother
Site Supporter
Jul 25, 2018
London
Visit site
✟83,771.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Well, I am not in disagreement with God's grace, friend.
I believe we are initially and ultimately saved by God's grace (Who is a person named Jesus Christ).
Without God's grace, we would all be doomed.
But God's grace is not a license to sin (Which is the envitable conclusion when somebody says Jesus pays for our future sin). Nowhere will you ever read about how Jesus paid for our future sins. God's grace does not teach ungodliness (i.e. that we can sin and still be saved). Titus 2:11-12 says that the grace of God teaches us to deny ungodliness and that we should live godly and righteously in this present world. Hebrews 5:9 essentially says that Christ is the author of eternal salvation to all who OBEY Him.

That's what they used to accuse Paul of, making grace a licence to sin...have YOU ever been accused of making grace a licence to sin?

Well then you must be preaching a different gospel to Paul.

Upvote 0

Bible Highlighter

Site Supporter
Jul 22, 2014
✟1,192,985.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
That's what they used to accuse Paul of, making grace a licence to sin...

Well, if you teach King David was saved while committing his sins of adultery and murder, I am not slanderously reporting (as you suggest).

"And not rather, (as we be slanderously reported, and as some affirm that we say,) Let us do evil, that good may come? whose damnation is just." (Romans 3:8).

Notice how you did not answer the question I gave you.
I will ask it one more time.

Do you believe King David was saved while he committed his sins of adultery and murder?​

Yes, or no?

You are also failing to understand that Paul was speaking against "Circumcision Salvationism." Notice Romans 3:1. Paul asks what profit is there in circumcision? In Galatians 5:2 he says if you seek to be circumcised, Christ will profit you nothing.

In fact, the heresy of "Circumcision Salvationism" is made even more clear at the Jerusalem Counsel:

Here are the verses:
  1. Acts of the Apostles 15:1 says, “And certain men which came down from Judaea taught the brethren, and said, Except ye be circumcised after the manner of Moses, ye cannot be saved.”

2. Acts of the Apostles 15:5 says, But there rose up certain of the sect of the Pharisees which believed, saying, That it was needful to circumcise them, and to command them to keep the law of Moses.”

3. Acts of the Apostles 15:24 says, “Forasmuch as we have heard, that certain which went out from us have troubled you with words, subverting your souls, saying, Ye must be circumcised, and keep the law: to whom we gave no such commandment:”

You said:
have YOU ever been accused of making grace a licence to sin?

Non-sequitur. There are no Jews around where I live pushing circumicision FIRST so as to be saved. It was a more prominant heresy that was wide spread during that time and place in where he was at.

You said:
Well then you must be preaching a different gospel to Paul.

No sir. The gospel is tied to obedience.

Proof #1. - 2 Thessalonians 2:13-14.

13 “...God hath from the beginning chosen you to salvation through sanctification of the Spirit and belief of the truth:
14 Whereunto he called you by our gospel, to the obtaining of the glory of our Lord Jesus Christ.” (2 Thessalonians 2:13-14).

This ties in nicely with:

23 “And the very God of peace sanctify you wholly; and I pray God your whole spirit and soul and body be preserved blameless unto the coming of our Lord Jesus Christ.
24 Faithful is he that calleth you, who also will do it.” (1 Thessalonians 5:23-24).​

In 2 Corinthians 7:1, Paul says we are to cleanse ourselves from all filthiness of the flesh and spirit perfecting holiness in the fear of God. How does that work in your belief?

Proof #2. - Romans 16:25-26.

25 “Now to him that is of power to stablish you according to my gospel, and the preaching of Jesus Christ, according to the revelation of the mystery, which was kept secret since the world began,
26 But now is made manifest, and by the scriptures of the prophets, according to the commandment of the everlasting God, made known to all nations for the obedience of faith:” (Romans 16:25-26).

This ties in nicely with:

“And being made perfect, he became the author of eternal salvation unto all them that obey him;” (Hebrews 5:9).​

Also see 1 John 1:7.

Proof #3. - 1 Thessalonians 1:8-9 and 2 Thessalonians 1:11-12.

8 “In flaming fire taking vengeance on them that know not God, and that obey not the gospel of our Lord Jesus Christ:
9 Who shall be punished with everlasting destruction from the presence of the Lord, and from the glory of his power;” (1 Thessalonians 1:8-9).

11 “Wherefore also we pray always for you, that our God would count you worthy of this calling, and fulfil all the good pleasure of his goodness, and the work of faith with power:
12 That the name of our Lord Jesus Christ may be glorified in you, and ye in him, according to the grace of our God and the Lord Jesus Christ.” (2 Thessalonians 1:11-12).

Note on 1 Thessalonians 1:8: Those who do not know God do not keep his commandments; For that person who says they knows the Lord and does not keep his commandments is a liar and the truth is not in them (See 1 John 2:4).

Last edited:
Upvote 0

FutureAndAHope

Just me
Site Supporter
Aug 30, 2008
Australia
Visit site
✟734,719.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Do you believe future sin is forgiven a believer and do you teach that?

Take david as an OT example. We can use that example because the bible says all scripture is given for doctrine and reproof.

1) My version of grace states, we should not sin, but if we do, God will forgive us
2) Your version states if you sin you have broken God's law and will not be forgiven, for it is a grievous sin, only past sin is forgiven

But we see from David, he committed a sin worse than any we are likey to commit. Yet he was forgiven, and he moved on. He was surely BEFORE he committed the sin a Jew, but yet he committed a sin as a believer, and was forgiven. So his future sin was forgiven.

As believers we are to use examples, to test our faith, if we use David's example, we see future sin is forgivable.

The new testament backs this thought through verses like:

1Jn 2:1 My little children, I am writing these things to you so that you may not sin. But if anyone does sin, we have an advocate with the Father, Jesus Christ the righteous.

That verse says, a) We should not sin (current tense), but if we do (future tense) we will be forgiven.

The lukewarm believing church was spewed out of the Lord's mouth because they lost their first love. They were told to repent and do the first works. They were not told to just believe on Jesus's sacrifice and they are all good to go. Again, it seems like you believe in a contradiction. You say on the one hand that you are saved by God's grace and not of works and yet you contradict yourself and say that is how you are saved because you say that sin can separate a believer from God. Sin is merely the breaking of God's laws. So you believe in keeping God's laws as a part of salvation.

What I am saying makes perfect sense if you see God as merciful, God would have us live without sin, that is true, but He has grace given in case we sin. God is not a merciless judge, but a kind kinsman. Yet he does not give us licence to sin. The way the Holy Spirit works is to convict us of sin, as the bible says "the one who is with out correction is illegitimate and not a son", the Holy Spirit draws us away from sin.

But where you are incorrect is you say only past sin is forgivable, you create a terminal sin.

Upvote 0

Bible Highlighter

Site Supporter
Jul 22, 2014
✟1,192,985.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
It says “image not found”

Try the longer method I gave you with your computer, brother.
I hope that helps.

And may God bless you this fine evening.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Bible Highlighter

Site Supporter
Jul 22, 2014
✟1,192,985.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Take david as an OT example. We can use that example because the bible says all scripture is given for doctrine and reproof.

1) My version of grace states, we should not sin, but if we do, God will forgive us
2) Your version states if you sin you have broken God's law and will not be forgiven, for it is a grievous sin, only past sin is forgiven

But we see from David, he committed a sin worse than any we are likey to commit. Yet he was forgiven, and he moved on. He was surely BEFORE he committed the sin a Jew, but yet he committed a sin as a believer, and was forgiven. So his future sin was forgiven.

As believers we are to use examples, to test our faith, if we use David's example, we see future sin is forgivable.

1Jn 2:1 My little children, I am writing these things to you so that you may not sin. But if anyone does sin, we have an advocate with the Father, Jesus Christ the righteous.

That verse says, a) We should not sin (current tense), but if we do (future tense) we will be forgiven.

What I am saying makes perfect sense if you see God as merciful, God would have us live without sin, that is true, but He has grace given in case we sin. God is not a merciless judge, but a kind kinsman. Yet he does not give us licence to sin. The way the Holy Spirit works is to convict us of sin, as the bible says "the one who is with out correction is illegitimate and not a son", the Holy Spirit draws us away from sin.

But where you are incorrect is you say only past sin is forgivable, you create a terminal sin.

No. Jesus being our advocate in 1 John 2:1 is in context to 1 John 1:9 (confessing sin to Jesus) and in context to 1 John 1:7 (walking in the light as Christ is in the light, i.e. loving your brother - See 1 John 2:9-10).

Proverbs 28:13 says he that confesses and forsakes sin shall have mercy.

Matthew 12:41 says that the Ninevites repented at the preaching of Jonah. If you were to turn to Jonah 3:6-10, we learn that the King of the Ninevites told his people to do two very important things.

#1. Cry out unto God (i.e. Repentance).
#2. Forsake their evil ways (i.e. the Fruits of Repentance).​

However, it was not until the Ninevites forsaked their wicked way until God decided to not bring judgment or wrath upon them anymore.

1 John 1:9 says if we confess our sin he is faithful and just to forgive us our sin and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness.

So you have to confess sin to be forgiven.

You have to confess to be cleansed of unrighteousness (i.e. to overcome sin).

Also, read again Psalms 51. He is confessing to be forgiven of sin. He is not already forgiven before his confession as you falsely claim. For David says:

1. Have mercy upon me, O God (Psalms 51:1).
2. blot out my transgressions (Psalms 51:1).
3. Wash me throughly from mine iniquity (Psalms 51:2).
4. cleanse me from my sin (Psalms 51:2).
5. Purge me with hyssop, and I shall be clean (Psalms 51:7).
6. wash me, and I shall be whiter than snow (Psalms 51:7).
7. Hide thy face from my sins (Psalms 51:9).
8. blot out all mine iniquities (Psalms 51:9).
9. Create in me a clean heart, O God (Psalms 51:10).
10. renew a right spirit within me (Psalms 51:10).

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Bible Highlighter

Site Supporter
Jul 22, 2014
✟1,192,985.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married

Think about it like this. Imagine if our society said that you should not murder, rape, steal, etc. and yet there was no penalty for such crimes because the ruler of that society was supposedly gracious enough to give everyone a free pass to be automatically forgiven of all future crimes. This is what you have done with God’s grace and His kingdom. But imagine a world or country like that. Really imagine what that would be like. It would be chaos. There would be nobody to keep the peace and criminals could roam free (to hurt law abiding citizens) instead of them being locked up in prisons (where they wouldn't harm others in society who are obeying the laws of the land).

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Billy Evmur

Brother
Site Supporter
Jul 25, 2018
London
Visit site
✟83,771.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Salvation for the Jews was retrospective, that is after the cross, David was forgiven his sin before he even asked or confessed his guilt...just as we are once we are saved. But David lovers know he was never the same after, his life became hard. That is how it is.

And David's was adultery and murder.

Upvote 0

Bible Highlighter

Site Supporter
Jul 22, 2014
✟1,192,985.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Salvation for the Jews was retrospective, that is after the cross, David was forgiven his sin before he even asked or confessed his guilt...just as we are once we are saved. But David lovers know he was never the same after, his life became hard. That is how it is.

And David's was adultery and murder.

So a person can be like a King David and commit murder and adultery for a short amount of time and be saved while doing so as long as they confess it later?

What is the point of confessing such a sin if one is already forgiven of such a sin beforehand? David was seeking forgiveness in his letter of confession to God for his sins. He was confessing so as to be forgiven of sin. He was not already forgiven. People who are already forgiven by God do not need to confess their sins. It makes no sense. To say that David was saved in his sins of adultery and murder is to say that a Christian can do the same thing (Which is teaching that God's grace is a license for immorality or sin). Imagine if you will, teaching this to a child. You can commit murder and adultery and be saved as long as you at some point pay lip service to God. But the act of grievous sin itself will not separate you from God. Can you imagine if this child turned out to be the next George Sodini because they believed they could sin and still be saved like a King David?

George Sodini is also a strong proponent of Eternal Security and or that your future sins are forgiven you (i.e. all sins are paid for by Jesus if you have a belief in Him). Yet, George murdered a bunch of people and took his own life. George confessed in his suicide letter the following words:

“Maybe soon, I will see God and Jesus. At least that is what I was told. Eternal life does NOT depend on works. If it did, we will all be in hell. Christ paid for EVERY sin, so how can I or you be judged BY GOD for a sin when the penalty was ALREADY paid. People judge but that does not matter. I was reading the Bible and The Integrity of God beginning yesterday, because soon I will see them.”​

This is the true fruits of Eternal Security. This is why the belief that says future sin is forgiven you or the Eternal Security belief is so dangerous.

To learn more about George Sodini, check out this article here. Such a belief makes light of sin and can turn a person into a monster. Sure, some here will say that does not happen to a true believer, etc., etc. But I see no difference between what George said about his belief vs. what many here say have said about their belief. Jesus said we will know a tree by it's fruit; And George's fruit was not good (Which is no doubt a direct result of his wrong belief).

King David committed adultery and murder but he was not forgiven of these sins while he was doing them. It is why he needed to confess of these sins. David needed to be forgiven of his sins. It's why he was confessing them. It is illogical to confess sin if you are already forgiven. Some say that David was merely restoring His fellowship and it had nothing to do with salvation. But David was asking for his sins to be forgiven and blotted out. If one's sins are not blotted out, then one is not forgiven or saved. David did not remain an adulterer or as a murderer. David did not justify his sin by saying he was saved and forgiven so there was no need for him to confess his sin to God. Folks are turning God's grace into a license for immorality. It is wrong.

Justifying sin and evil for a short amount of time under God's grace is just as wrong as justifying sin and evil all the time. Justifying habitual sin starts with justifying one grievous sin. It is evil and wrong to do so from the very beginning and it does not become evil and wrong by the 15th time (or more) a person commits that grievous sin.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Bible Highlighter

Site Supporter
Jul 22, 2014
✟1,192,985.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Why Did Jesus have a problem with the Pharisees?

Did Jesus just tell them to believe in Him or His future sacrifice and to not worry about their sin? No.

Jesus condemned the Pharisees because they ignored the weightier matters of the Law like love, faith, justice, and mercy (See Matthew 23:23) (Luke 11:42).

The Pharisees believed they were saved by believing they were sons alone just as many today believe they are saved by being sons alone.

John the Baptist told the Pharisees,
"And think not to say within yourselves, We have Abraham to our father: for I say unto you, that God is able of these stones to raise up children unto Abraham." (Matthew 3:9).

So the Pharisees thought they were saved by being sons of Abraham. Today people think they are saved by just being sons of Jesus.

But listen to what John the Baptist told the crowd that the Pharisees attended:

"Repent ye: for the kingdom of heaven is at hand." (Matthew 3:1).​

When John noticed the Pharisees in the crowd, he said:

"Bring forth therefore fruits meet for repentance" (Matthew 3:8).​

Jesus also said a similar thing to the Jews who did not believe on him.

For they said:

"Abraham is our father."​

Yet, Jesus said to them:

"If ye were Abraham's children, ye would do the works of Abraham."
(See John 8:39).
Jesus also said to these unbelieving Jews:

"He that is of God heareth God's words: ye therefore hear them not, because ye are not of God." (John 8:47).

This lines up with what the disciple of John says in his first epistle:

"In this the children of God are manifest, and the children of the devil: whosoever doeth not righteousness is not of God, neither he that loveth not his brother." (1 John 3:10).

So there is no free pass in being saved by just having a belief on Jesus alone. Many will profess that they have done works in Christ's name but they will be cast out because Jesus says they worked iniquity or sin, too.

"And then will I profess unto them, I never knew you: depart from me, ye that work iniquity." (Matthew 7:23).

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Alithis

Disciple of Jesus .
Nov 11, 2010
Mobile
✟101,992.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Well, you misunderstood me. Your quote of these particular words by me is my talking about other Christians who think that doing these things are okay (When they clearly are not). That is the whole point of this thread. To point out grievous sins like lying, etc. and how they can destroy our souls (even if we do them once). Grievous sin leads to spiritual death (Which would include just one sin of lying - unless it is repented of or confessed to the Lord).
hi .just in your last sentence there .want to clarify . not repented OR confessed but rather confessed AND repented of

Upvote 0

Alithis

Disciple of Jesus .
Nov 11, 2010
Mobile
✟101,992.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
So a person can be like a King David and commit murder and adultery for a short amount of time and be saved while doing so as long as they confess it later?

What is the point of confessing such a sin if one is already forgiven of such a sin beforehand? David was seeking forgiveness in his letter of confession to God for his sins. He was confessing so as to be forgiven of sin. He was not already forgiven. People who are already forgiven by God do not need to confess their sins. It makes no sense. To say that David was saved in his sins of adultery and murder is to say that a Christian can do the same thing (Which is teaching that God's grace is a license for immorality or sin). Imagine if you will, teaching this to a child. You can commit murder and adultery and be saved as long as you at some point pay lip service to God. But the act of grievous sin itself will not separate you from God. Can you imagine if this child turned out to be the next George Sodini because they believed they could sin and still be saved like a King David?

George Sodini is also a strong proponent of Eternal Security and or that your future sins are forgiven you (i.e. all sins are paid for by Jesus if you have a belief in Him). Yet, George murdered a bunch of people and took his own life. George confessed in his suicide letter the following words:

“Maybe soon, I will see God and Jesus. At least that is what I was told. Eternal life does NOT depend on works. If it did, we will all be in hell. Christ paid for EVERY sin, so how can I or you be judged BY GOD for a sin when the penalty was ALREADY paid. People judge but that does not matter. I was reading the Bible and The Integrity of God beginning yesterday, because soon I will see them.”​

This is the true fruits of Eternal Security. This is why the belief that says future sin is forgiven you or the Eternal Security belief is so dangerous.

To learn more about George Sodini, check out this article here. Such a belief makes light of sin and can turn a person into a monster. Sure, some here will say that does not happen to a true believer, etc., etc. But I see no difference between what George said about his belief vs. what many here say have said about their belief. Jesus said we will know a tree by it's fruit; And George's fruit was not good (Which is no doubt a direct result of his wrong belief).

King David committed adultery and murder but he was not forgiven of these sins while he was doing them. It is why he needed to confess of these sins. David needed to be forgiven of his sins. It's why he was confessing them. It is illogical to confess sin if you are already forgiven. Some say that David was merely restoring His fellowship and it had nothing to do with salvation. But David was asking for his sins to be forgiven and blotted out. If one's sins are not blotted out, then one is not forgiven or saved. David did not remain an adulterer or as a murderer. David did not justify his sin by saying he was saved and forgiven so there was no need for him to confess his sin to God. Folks are turning God's grace into a license for immorality. It is wrong.

Justifying sin and evil for a short amount of time under God's grace is just as wrong as justifying sin and evil all the time. Justifying habitual sin starts with justifying one grievous sin. It is evil and wrong to do so from the very beginning and it does not become evil and wrong by the 15th time (or more) a person commits that grievous sin.
also to clarify - David sis not only confess when confronted by the conviction of god via the prophet . he also repented - HE NEVER did that behaviour again .

repentance that knowingly repeats the offence is simply evidence of hypocrisy. pretence insincerity and manifestation of the true motive of the heart .a declaration of whom and what the person truly loves .

Upvote 0

Alithis

Disciple of Jesus .
Nov 11, 2010
Mobile
✟101,992.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Do you think Christians sin?
If so, what common unconfessed sins do you think Jesus forgives?

For example: Do you think lying, or cursing, or inappropriate content (lusting), hating, coveting are automatically covered by the blood of Jesus by having a belief alone on Him?

willful sin .
knowing that the action your embarking on .the activity your setting out to preform by an act of your OWN will IS a sinful activity in opposition to the will of and word of God
is ABSOLUTELY NOT covered by the sacrificial blood of Christ if a person has once repented AND tasted of the devine in the holy Spirit ..etc .

But the problem and comprehension of what this means comes in the fact that an astounding majority of those who identify as "Christian" .. have never yet entered into salvation in the first place having never sincerely repented and forsaken sin or themselves in order to follow Christ .
they take on an intellectual concept of salvation and outwardly ACT out ,without sincere faith a few ceremonies . then - they return to living their own life their own way seeking their own kingdom their own will their own wants desires and lusts .They gather at their local club on Sunday pat themselves on the back with a motivational speech and continue in their OWN WAY.

they have not ever come to true repentance
they have not even begun to DIE to self take up cross and follow Jesus
in short -they are NOT his disciples -they are sadly and sorely self deceived

Upvote 0

Bible Highlighter

Site Supporter
Jul 22, 2014
✟1,192,985.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
hi .just in your last sentence there .want to clarify . not repented OR confessed but rather confessed AND repented of
Well, I see the Bible repeatedly describe the word "repent" as the same thing as confessing sin and or as seeking God's forgiveness. I see the Bible describing forsaking sin and doing good deeds as what the Bible calls: "fruits of repentance." The "fruit of repentance" cannot be the same thing as "repentance;" That wouldn't make any sense. Anyways, here is...

A Biblical Case For Repentance:

At the heart, I believe the Bible teaches that repentance means, "Asking God for forgiveness" (Which of course naturally then leads to the "fruits of repentance", i.e. obedience to the Lord):

Important Note: While I may believe "Repentance" does involve to a certain degree a "change of mind" (like a person changing their mind about their old life of sin), I do not think "Repentance" exclusively means a “change of mind.”

Anyways, here are my ten points using Scripture showing that "repentance" means "asking God for forgiveness of sin."

#1. Acts 2:38,
The New Living Translation says in Acts 2:38 to "repent of your sins."
Douay Reheims says in Acts 2:38 to "Do penance."
New Life Version says in Acts 2:38 to "Be sorry for your sins"

#2. Luke 17:3 says, "Take heed to yourselves: If thy brother trespass against thee, rebuke him; and if he repent, forgive him." This doesn't make any sense if "repent" means believe in Jesus (as some teach) or to have a change of mind about sin (as others teach) or to exclusively forsake sin. Yes, we are to forsake sin as a part of repentance but that comes later after repentance (Which is to ask God for forgiveness of our sin). For how can we reconcile with a brother if we do not say we are sorry vs. just going on about life as if we did nothing wrong?

#3. Jesus said in Matthew 12:41 that the Ninevites will rise up in Judgment against this generation because they repented at the preaching of Jonah. If you were to turn to Jonah chapter 3, you would be able to see in Jonah 3:6-10 that the King of the Ninevites had told his people to:

(a) Cry out to God (i.e. Repentance) (See Jonah 3:8).
(b) Turn from their sins or evil ways (i.e. The Natural Fruits of Repentance).​

#4. Matthew 3:6 (which then lines up with Matthew 3:8). Also, in Mark 1:4-5, it says John preached the "baptism of repentance" for the remission of sins (verse 4), and it then defines this "baptism of repentance" by saying they confessed their sins when they were baptized (verse 5).

#5. We see in Acts of the Apostles 8:22 a clear example of Peter telling Simon to "repent" of his wickedness in trying to pay for the Holy Spirit. Peter is telling Simon to make a prayer towards God. For Peter says that he should pray that God might forgive him. In other words, Peter is telling Simon to repent of a one time event of wickedness by way of prayer to GOD. This only makes sense if "repent" means to "ask for forgiveness."

#6. Ezekiel 14:6 says,
"Repent, and turn yourselves from your idols;" Repent makes the most sense here if a person is asking God for forgiveness by way of prayer instead of a person just believing in God. Naturally a person believes in God as their Savior if they are planning on forsaking their idols.

#7. We see repentance is the topic of discussion in Luke 15 (Luke 15:6) (Luke 15:10); This is then followed up by the "Parable of the Prodigal Son" with the son desiring to be reconciled with his father. We learn the WAY the Prodigal Son desired to be reconciled with his father when he said,

"I will arise and go to my father, and will say unto him, Father, I have sinned against heaven, and before thee, And am no more worthy to be called thy son: make me as one of thy hired servants." (Luke 15:18-19).

In other words, the Prodigal Son was seeking forgiveness. This ties into the point of repentance in Luke 15:6 and Luke 15:10.

#8. Luke 10:13 says,
"Woe unto thee, Chorazin! woe unto thee, Bethsaida! for if the mighty works had been done in Tyre and Sidon, which have been done in you, they had a great while ago repented, sitting in sackcloth and ashes." This rules out the theory that repentance is exclusively forsaking sin. Granted, forsaking sin always follow true repentance (Asking God for forgiveness of one's sins) but forsaking sin is not repentance. The word "repented" here is describing a one time event because they "repented", sitting in sackcloth and ashes. In Jonah 3:6 we learn that the King of Nineveh sat in sackcloth and ashes. In Jonah 3:8, the King of Nineveh tells people to put on sackcloth, and cry mightily unto God (i.e. repentance): and then turn from their evil way (i.e. the fruits of repentance).

#9. John the Baptist says we are to bring forth fruits worthy of repentance (Luke 3:8). Fruits are deeds (or obedience to God). How can repentance be the same thing as the fruit? Is the fruit the same thing as the tree?

#10. Jeremiah 8:6 says, "I hearkened and heard, but they spake not aright: no man repented him of his wickedness, saying, What have I done? every one turned to his course, as the horse rusheth into the battle." Here we see the word "repented of wickedness" tied with the words, "What have I done?" This is an acknowledgement of one's sin to God as a part of asking His forgiveness.

Notable Additional Verses that Deal with Repentance
(But They Do Not Use The Word "Repent" or "Repentance"):

"For whosoever shall call upon the name of the Lord shall be saved." (Romans 10:13).

13 "And the publican, standing afar off, would not lift up so much as his eyes unto heaven, but smote upon his breast, saying, God be merciful to me a sinner.
14 I tell you, this man went down to his house justified rather than the other: for every one that exalteth himself shall be abased; and he that humbleth himself shall be exalted. (Luke 18:13-14).

Proverbs 28:13 says whosoever confesses and forsakes sin shall have mercy.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Bible Highlighter

Site Supporter
Jul 22, 2014
✟1,192,985.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
also to clarify - David sis not only confess when confronted by the conviction of god via the prophet . he also repented - HE NEVER did that behaviour again .

repentance that knowingly repeats the offence is simply evidence of hypocrisy. pretence insincerity and manifestation of the true motive of the heart .a declaration of whom and what the person truly loves .

I agree, except for the difference in your use of terminology.

Upvote 0