Do you think a Christian can get away with a sin in their life?

Amy

Quiet Kitty
Jun 1, 2002
Visit site
✟1,608.00
Faith
Christian
I have seen Christians who go to church, read the Bible, and are even involved in church ministry - and yet there's a sin in their life, sometimes their whole life is ruled by it. It is not because they are intentionally living a double life - they think they're fine, and might not even notice the problem.

One particular guy I have in mind was being hard on his wife, pushing her around all the time. Yet he didn't think he was rude, he thought he was just a strong leader, the head of the house. Another person I know lives like a pig. Laziness rules his life. Yet, he's a Christian, and he doesn't seem to think that there's anything wrong with his lifestyle.

So my question is, what awaits this kind of people? Are these sins "unimportant"? Will God overlook them because those people are "under grace"? If so, where is the borderline? One can be a Christian and be rude? Or be a Christian and be lazy? How much can one get away with?

Amy

Quiet Kitty
Jun 1, 2002
Visit site
✟1,608.00
Faith
Christian
Yes, and this makes me scared for those people. Sometimes I think, "Well, maybe I'm just being critical. God is love, God is merciful, He won't send those Christians to hell - they are CHRISTIANS, redeemed by His Son." But then I remember that God's grace is not unlimited. He is holy, and requires the same from us. What if He will not overlook "smaller sins"?...

Upvote 0

seebs

God Made Me A Skeptic
Apr 9, 2002
Saint Paul, MN
Visit site
✟55,225.00
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
This is a tough issue. If we want to be really strict about it, we run into a serious problem: No one makes it to Heaven. We *all* have sins we're blind to. Furthermore, the general acceptance that faith, not works, saves us falls to pieces if failing to correct something nullifies salvation.

I don't honestly know. I do my best to get out of any sins I notice, I try to always seriously consider sins people try to point out in me (even though sometimes, I think they're wrong), and I trust God to make up the gap.

Upvote 0

reeann

Trust and Obey
Nov 11, 2002
South Carolina
Visit site
✟8,692.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Isaiah 50
Who is among you that fears the LORD,
That obeys the voice of His (1) servant,
That (2) walks in darkness and has no light?
Let him (3) trust in the name of the LORD and rely on his God.

Ephesians 5
8 for (1) you were formerly (2) darkness, but now you are Light in the Lord; walk as (3) children of Light

Upvote 0
it's my understanding that no one except jesus has or will ever live a sinless life. so i think that it's not so much that a christian can "get away w/" sin, it's more that they are forgiven for it as long as they are repenting/confessing it, and still living their life w/ their heart in the right place. ie, they aren't just doing whatever they want b/c they are saved so they think it doesn't matter.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Amy

Quiet Kitty
Jun 1, 2002
Visit site
✟1,608.00
Faith
Christian
If we want to be really strict about it, we run into a serious problem: No one makes it to Heaven. We *all* have sins we're blind to.

This is a part of what I've been thinking, too. I can't make it to Heaven on my own, so I cling to God's grace. And so does every other Christian. Yet some are doing their best to be the best, to please God in everything they can, while others allow themselves to "relax", so to speak, in certain areas. "Oh well, no one is perfect..." or even, "oh well, that's the way I am." Will God accept this excuse? :scratch:

Upvote 0

mixaleena

Feb 17, 2003
Visit site
✟15,377.00
Faith
Christian
When we got saved, we were and are no longer slaves to sin, right?

...JUST A THOUGHT...
Technically, this means that every sin we commit after we are saved is by choice. Sin cannot rule over us. We can choose NOT to sin now, as before we were ruled by it.

I believe no Christian will "get away" with sin, no matter how little. It may look like it is going unpunished on an immediate note...but we will suffer for it. No, that does not mean that you won't go to heaven, but it could possibly have a direct effect on what rewards (or lack thereof) you might have waiting for you. It could manifest itself into another sin/struggle in your life. I know that is the result of many of the sins I have struggled with since being saved only 2 years ago. Sin compounds sin. Once you get caught up it is hard to get out. :help:

I just recently watched what started with one sin in a Pastor's life ruin at least 11 people's lives (that I know of). God only knows the number of all who are really affected. :(

I think we will always struggle with sin, but it doesn't have to overcome us, as long as we are not content in our sin.  Remember sin has no hold on us any longer, so we can't use that excuse anymore...We have Christ. LOL :clap:

Mixee.

Upvote 0

Blackhawk

Monkey Boy
Feb 5, 2002
Ft. Worth, tx
Visit site
✟22,925.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Yesterday at 06:23 AM Amy said this in Post #1

I have seen Christians who go to church, read the Bible, and are even involved in church ministry - and yet there's a sin in their life, sometimes their whole life is ruled by it. It is not because they are intentionally living a double life - they think they're fine, and might not even notice the problem.

One particular guy I have in mind was being hard on his wife, pushing her around all the time. Yet he didn't think he was rude, he thought he was just a strong leader, the head of the house. Another person I know lives like a pig. Laziness rules his life. Yet, he's a Christian, and he doesn't seem to think that there's anything wrong with his lifestyle.

So my question is, what awaits this kind of people? Are these sins "unimportant"? Will God overlook them because those people are "under grace"? If so, where is the borderline? One can be a Christian and be rude? Or be a Christian and be lazy? How much can one get away with?

I do not think anyone will "get away with sin."  Jesus had to die for each and every one of them.  If we accept God's gift of grace we will not get the eternal penalty of our sins and probably we will not get much of the temporal penalties either.  However one day we still do not get away with sin.  God considers no sin unimportant.  He sent His son to die for them. 

I said all that but in your post you seem to be also speaking about a man who does not know that what he is doing is a sin but it is.  I think in many cases when we see sin in others we have to remember that we are all at different stages of maturity.  I know when I look back at my life 5 years ago what I thought was no problem now I think was sin.  It was not that I was not being a good Christian or whatever but I was just less mature in the faith. 

Let me give you a real example. My big sin used to be cursing.  I cursed all the time. Well God dealt with me on that.  But while I was dealing with that I was committing other sins that I was overlloking then but now God is delaing with me about them.  See what I mean? 

But I think we all have to live in grace.  Always striving to know God more and more each day. That is what I personally try to do.  I hope all my rambling helped. 

Upvote 0

life_boy

But It Did Happen
Feb 3, 2003
Tupelo, MS
Visit site
✟278.00
Faith
Calvinist
I think we are quick to judge other people and often miss our sins that we don't see (the plank and the spec). It is easier for others to see our sins rather than us, probably because we don't want to see them. Actually, if we really wanted to know if we had sins that we didn't see (like attitudes and things like this) than we would ask someone honestly, but that's a pretty hard and humbling thing to do. I know I don't have the humility to do that.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Blade

Veteran
Supporter
Dec 29, 2002
USA
✟629,996.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I believe kinda like mixaleena said. We are always learning and what we miss here we will have to learn there. For me when I come to God I seem to always be thinking about my sins yet the Lord keeps telling me to leave it at the door before I come in and he keeps telling me how righteous I am. We all grow different, some faster some slower.

Upvote 0

reeann

Trust and Obey
Nov 11, 2002
South Carolina
Visit site
✟8,692.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
I think we need to be God minded, because when we aren't, we naturally get in trouble spiritually. Sin does exist in the world, and satan is a roaring lion to us (just a lil worm to God), and seeks to devour us. Consider Isaiah:

Woe to the rebellious children, saith the LORD, that take counsel, but not of me;... that they may add sin to sin:" -Isaiah 30:1

Upvote 0
Hi:

The answer to your question is no, no one gets away with sin.

As Christians, our focus should be on drawing closer to God. Sin separates us from God and therefore yields less of a relationship with God.

To lose out on a close personal relationship with God is a bigger loss than being punished (in the flesh) for our sins.

God loves each one of us and wants that close personal relationship. That's why he made us and died for us. We lose (and sadly so does God) when we put anything in the way of the opportunity to drawer closer to God.

I consider Jesus to be God (just for clarification).

I hope this answer made sense...................

Upvote 0