• Welcome to Christian Forums
  1. Welcome to Christian Forums, a forum to discuss Christianity in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

2. The forums in the Christian Congregations category are now open only to Christian members. Please review our current Faith Groups list for information on which faith groups are considered to be Christian faiths. Christian members please remember to read the Statement of Purpose threads for each forum within Christian Congregations before posting in the forum.
  3. Please note there is a new rule regarding the posting of videos. It reads, "Post a summary of the videos you post . An exception can be made for music videos.". Unless you are simply sharing music, please post a summary, or the gist, of the video you wish to share.
  4. There have been some changes in the Life Stages section involving the following forums: Roaring 20s, Terrific Thirties, Fabulous Forties, and Golden Eagles. They are changed to Gen Z, Millennials, Gen X, and Golden Eagles will have a slight change.
  5. CF Staff, Angels and Ambassadors; ask that you join us in praying for the world in this difficult time, asking our Holy Father to stop the spread of the virus, and for healing of all affected.
  6. We are no longer allowing posts or threads that deny the existence of Covid-19. Members have lost loved ones to this virus and are grieving. As a Christian site, we do not need to add to the pain of the loss by allowing posts that deny the existence of the virus that killed their loved one. Future post denying the Covid-19 existence, calling it a hoax, will be addressed via the warning system.

Do you support vaccine mandates (Poll)

Discussion in 'General Political Discussion' started by 1rreducibly Complex, Sep 16, 2021.

Do you support vaccine mandates

1. Yes

24 vote(s)
    34.3%
  2. No

43 vote(s)
    61.4%
  3. Undecided or other (please specify)

3 vote(s)
    4.3%
Multiple votes are allowed.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 1rreducibly Complex

1rreducibly Complex Newbie

+203
    Christian
    Single
    Most Americans Now Want Vaccine Mandates For Planes, Hotels And Restaurants, Per Gallup

Nearly two years into a pandemic that shows no end in sight, a majority of Americans now support vaccine mandates for travelers. Most Americans now believe that people should be required to show proof of Covid-19 vaccination before getting on a plane, staying at a hotel, dining in a restaurant and attending large events, according to the latest Gallup poll.

In the four months between April and August, as the delta variant swept across the U.S., support for travel-related vaccine mandates ticked noticeably upward.

More than six in 10 Americans (61%) now support requiring proof of full vaccination before getting on a plane — up from 57% in April 2021.

Support for vaccine mandates for hotel guests reached majority status in August, notching up 9 percent from 44% in April to 53% in August.

The largest shift in attitudes about vaccination mandates involves eating out. Between April and August, there was a whopping 13% jump in support for having to show proof of vaccination status before dining in a restaurant. Now 53% of Americans support such a requirement, compared to 40% four months ago.

Nearly six in 10 (58%) of Americans now support a vaccine mandate for attending large events like concerts and festivals — up from 55% in April.

Perhaps unsurprisingly, Americans who are already vaccinated tend to favor vaccine mandates for travel, while the unvaccinated oppose them. Nearly eight in 10 (79%) of vaccinated Americans support having to show proof of vaccination status for air travel, compared to just 22% support among the unvaccinated.

Affiliation with a political party is also strongly related to opinions on vaccine requirements. A supermajority (92%) of Democrats support a vaccine mandate for flying, compared to just 29% of Republicans. Independents are split right down the middle, with 50% supporting and 50% opposing such a requirement for air travel.

Most Americans Now Want Vaccine Mandates For Planes, Hotels And Restaurants, Per Gallup

Vaccine mandates are bad science and a poor plan for addressing COVID.

I oppose them.

What does everyone else think?

We teamed up with Faith Counseling. Can they help you today?
  2. Petros2015

Petros2015 Well-Known Member

+2,866
    United States
    Eastern Orthodox
    Single
    I chose to be vaccinated, but don't lean strongly one way or the other here.
    I was recently invited to a private fb group "Stand Up or DIE"
    which seems to be full of people who feel very very strongly about it
    I declined the offer.
    They seem to feel like something is about to kill them
    And I'm not sure I disagree
    I just don't think it's the thing they think it is
    And I don't think there's a vaccine for it

Checkmate. (the social dilemma)

Last edited: Sep 17, 2021
  3. Light of the East

Light of the East Orthodox Inquirer Supporter

+1,911
    United States
    Catholic
    Married
  4. .Mikha'el.

.Mikha'el. Young Fogie Staff Member Supervisor Supporter

+4,402
    Canada
    Messianic
    Single
    Yes. Part of loving thy neighbour is taking steps to keep him safe in a pandemic, and if it requires government mandate, so be it.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • List
  5. muichimotsu

muichimotsu I Spit On Perfection

+1,157
    United States
    Skeptic
    Single
    US-Green
    Oh boy...explain the "bad science" and also...if you think you have a better plan for addressing this pandemic, then please, tell everyone, because otherwise you're part of the problem.

Do you want to just infect everyone systematically and get this supposed natural immunity? Because even if we go with the often quoted survival rate, 1) that's 8 million people, if not more, because my math skills are awful and 2) that doesn't even factor in long covid and other complications, to say nothing that it would utterly destroy the world's healthcare system, given that we don't have that capacity to care for millions of people that would likely become hospitalized, a whole other factor we gloss over often in terms of just fixating on the survival rate, which isn't even a guarantee across the world because of limited access.

Also, natural immunity is not guaranteed, reinfection seems exceptionally likely as the variants mutate to often be more infectious, even among vaccinated (which is not a reason to not get vaccinated because it does not kill the virus upon entry or give us some magical shield, it create immunoresponse and basic evolutionary theory applied to viruses means that not all of the viruses are going to die, some will infect, but the ideal situation is fighting it off will be a mild annoyance at best)

6. muichimotsu

+1,157
    United States
    Skeptic
    Single
    US-Green
    Some people seem to just act like a mandate reflects no exemptions, when logically they always have, reasonably. Especially due to the recognition of those who are immunocompromised or have negative reactions and thus can't get any version or certainly not some versions of the vaccine.

7. zippy2006

zippy2006 Dragonsworn

+2,620
    United States
    Catholic
    Single
    This comment reminds me of the forced sterilization of blacks, done "for their own good." Hubris masquerading as love is the worst kind.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • List
  8. muichimotsu

+1,157
    United States
    Skeptic
    Single
    US-Green
    Except this isn't forced and isn't based on poor science like some amateurs are claiming. And wow, way to make it about race, you're sure a person that doesn't see color, boy howdy. Forced sterilization has that explicit focus, this is inoculation against a disease: reproductive capacity is not a disease, so the comparison is not even a shadow.

It's entirely different except in that you think we're just forcing people by sheer peer pressure versus actual demonstrable evidence that you are far less likely to die or be hospitalized if you are vaccinated. If anything, if you're vaccinated, you're more likely to die from a car crash or a lightning strike than even covid variants, especially if you also take precautions to reduce spread during epidemic spikes like this.

Sounds more like you're dog whistling for anti abortion ideas based on association to a form of eugenics and then assume everyone just agrees with that as something that was ever good merely because people back then thought so (in a time when race was likely still regarded as a biological fact and not a mere social construction based on superficial traits)

Love at its core is still ego centered in its inception; you love becase it also benefits you, we don't have innate altruism necessarily, we have to learn that and empathize

9. .Mikha'el.

+4,402
    Canada
    Messianic
    Single
    Yes, I would fully support allowing medical exemptions when required.

10. .Mikha'el.

+4,402
    Canada
    Messianic
    Single
    You're seriously trying to play the race card to get me to change my position?

11. muichimotsu

+1,157
    United States
    Skeptic
    Single
    US-Green
    I think most rational people would, same as if you have a conscientious objection to military service. Patriotism and concerns for public health should never be partisan, yet some people seem to want to act like if you support vaccine mandates and masks that you just have this all or nothing attitude when that's them projecting, since they seem to want it both ways: freedom but no consequences.

12. HARK!

HARK! Well-Known Member Staff Member Purple Team - Moderator Supporter

+4,121
    United States
    Messianic
    Married
    Number of deaths for leading causes of death
    According to the Dietary Guidelines for Americans 2020–2025pdf icon[PDF-30.6MB]external icon, a healthy eating plan:

• Emphasizes fruits, vegetables, whole grains, and fat-free or low-fat milk and milk products
    • Includes a variety of protein foods such as seafood, lean meats and poultry, eggs, legumes (beans and peas), soy products, nuts, and seeds.
    • Is low in saturated fats, trans fats, cholesterol, salt (sodium), and added sugars
    • Stays within your daily calorie needs
    Healthy Eating for a Healthy Weight

So would you support food being a controlled substance, only to be prescribed by a dietician?

13. HARK!

+4,121
    United States
    Messianic
    Married
    In other words those who are vaccinated, are less likely to end up in bed, thereby more likely to run around spreading the virus, and causing more mutations?

How does this affect the poor?

42.6% of the world population has received at least one dose of a COVID-19 vaccine.
    5.82 billion doses have been administered globally, and 29.6 million are now administered each day.
    Only 1.9% of people in low-income countries have received at least one dose.

Coronavirus (COVID-19) Vaccinations - Statistics and Research

14. klutedavid

klutedavid Well-Known Member

+3,844
    Non-Denom
    Single
    Given the rising percentage of overweight people in countries around the world. I don't think that we can follow a healthy diet. We enjoy fast food and confectionary way too much.

I can safely predict that heart disease and cancer events, will sky rocket in the coming decades.

15. muichimotsu

+1,157
    United States
    Skeptic
    Single
    US-Green
    False equivalency, heart disease is not a communicable disease and acting like the government should mandate that is not the same as inoculation to prevent overwhelming the hospital system and reducing complications and death. Because the latter is explicitly for the public good, especially those who are immunocompromised.

Basing this purely on numbers reduces us to mere means and not ends in ourselves, and takes away any genuine sense of autonomy and learning from mistakes.

16. muichimotsu

+1,157
    United States
    Skeptic
    Single
    US-Green
    It affects the poor because of systemic problems that need to be addressed and if we're supposedly so Christian as a nation, then does it not behoove us to 1) get to herd immunity ourselves and start going back to normalcy and 2) use our supposedly superior resources and get vaccinations to those less fortunate in other countries?

If you say no to either, that contributes to the problem because of being comfortable in affluence or disregarding the problems of the rest of the world for whatever reason

Sounds more like you're just throwing out a non sequitur as if that's pertinent to the immediate issue of America and how we've prolonged this needlessly due to rampant misinformation and conspiracy theories that are only leading to more hospitalizations and deaths that could've been avoided if people were not so needlessly stubborn about their freedom in contrast to genuine security.

17. HARK!

+4,121
    United States
    Messianic
    Married
    Are you suggesting that mandates will have no effect?

18. HARK!

+4,121
    United States
    Messianic
    Married
    False equivalency?

The argument was made for a felt responsibility of keeping the unvaccinated safe by forcing vaccinations on them.

The immunocompromised are at risk for contracting any disease; and should remain isolated. The jab doesn't prevent anyone from contracting, nor spreading, the disease. It reduces the severity of the symptoms of those who do contract it. An argument could be made that those who took the jab are more of a threat to the immunocompromised; as they are more likely to be out of bed, running around spreading the disease.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • List
  19. HARK!

+4,121
    United States
    Messianic
    Married
    Things are back to normal in Texas, even with infected illegals pouring over the Mexican border. Have you attempted to donate any money to vaccinate anyone in less fortunate countries like Mexico?

20. HARK!

+4,121
    United States
    Messianic
    Married
    "Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety." ~ Benjamin Franklin

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.