✟91,578.00
Country
United States
Faith
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
You've had the talk or otherwise realized you're headed for a non-relationship. You use the dreaded words "let's be friends." So, do you really want to be friends? Is it reasonable to be friends? Will friendship be treasured, or will it get in the way of future relationships? Will the temptation to try yet again be too much to maintain the friendship?

So...do you really, truly want to be friends? Or is this the end?

WithLoveFromAlyssa

Love makes a choice, it has a voice...
Jul 7, 2012
Somewhere around Nashville <3
✟9,959.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
Maybe.
Honestly. it depends who they are...

Are me and this person breaking up because they are abusive.. then no. I don't want to be friends.

Are me and this person breaking up because we simply realized we aren't compatible? Sure, ill be friends.

Upvote 0

scraparcs

aka Mayor McCheese
Mar 4, 2002
Massachusetts
✟91,578.00
Country
United States
Faith
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
But what if you become such good friends that you can't really imagine being with someone else, but it's still not meant to be? Or you're such good friends that other men are turned off? Do you really still want to be friends in that case?

Upvote 0

WithLoveFromAlyssa

Jul 7, 2012
✟9,959.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
But what if you become such good friends that you can't really imagine being with someone else, but it's still not meant to be? Or you're such good friends that other men are turned off? Do you really still want to be friends in that case?

What your talking about seems like.. "Friends with feelings"..not simply friends.
If we were simply friends.. why would I feel like I cant imagine myself with anyone else?

Other men shouldn't be turned of if he is merely a friend.. and i treat him like a friend.. Nothing more.

Upvote 0

WithLoveFromAlyssa

Jul 7, 2012
✟9,959.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
I think friendship is where a Christian relationship, headed toward marriage, should start.

Yes !
I am not a fan of.. randomly asking someone out.
I like to know the person first.
If you randomly ask someone out.. I assume its usually because of their looks.

Reactions: Strider1002
Upvote 0

scraparcs

aka Mayor McCheese
Mar 4, 2002
Massachusetts
✟91,578.00
Country
United States
Faith
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
What your talking about seems like.. "Friends with feelings"..not simply friends.
If we were simply friends.. why would I feel like I cant imagine myself with anyone else?

Other men shouldn't be turned of if he is merely a friend.. and i treat him like a friend.. Nothing more.

How things should be and how they end up can be two different things.

I think friendship is where a Christian relationship, headed toward marriage, should start.

Right, definitely. What about if the friendship would never head anywhere near marriage?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Messy

Jan 30, 2011
Holland
✟21,082.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
You've had the talk or otherwise realized you're headed for a non-relationship. You use the dreaded words "let's be friends." So, do you really want to be friends? Is it reasonable to be friends? Will friendship be treasured, or will it get in the way of future relationships? Will the temptation to try yet again be too much to maintain the friendship?

I read somewhere that people can only stay friends if they don't feel anything for each other or if they still feel everything and actually want a relationship. I tried to, it's impossible, we can only be virtual 'friends'. With my ex I'm good friends, 'cause we don't have feelings other than like with a brother and sister.

Upvote 0
C

christsoccer

Women that did not want to date or be in a serious relationship with me, I will keep them as friends unless they are not nice or kind to me, or just do not keep in touch/ignore me

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

leothelioness

Apr 4, 2006
Southern US
✟112,055.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Celibate

That's exactly what happened with the last guy I dated. I had absolutely no interest in being his friend.

Upvote 0

TwistTim

Whimsical, Witty, Wacky, Waiting, Wise Guy
Jan 27, 2007
Ork
✟22,644.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Constitution
I recently had a girl try that on me after intiating a relationship with me, and leading me on for a few months tried the line: "you are a good guy, I want to be your friend."

To which I replied "If you can deal with the fact that your friend is going to be cheering against any other relationship you might form and has feelings for you that he doesn't see disappearing, then we can be friends, otherwise, cut me loose" and she has yet to respond to me, that was a month ago.

Sorry, but I have been the friend too many times. It sucks. Do not led him on, and do not let him lead you on. If the relationship will lead nowhere and you both know it, do the honorable thing, let it end. Else one or the other of you will be stuck emotionally in this relationship and not move forward.

Also consider the fact that you could be cultivating the friendship and the best guy could pass you by because he thinks you two are an item.

Upvote 0

Miss Spaulding

Virtus semper viridis
Jan 6, 2005
The Tropics
✟109,434.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Sorry, but I have been the friend too many times. It sucks. Do not led him on, and do not let him lead you on. If the relationship will lead nowhere and you both know it, do the honorable thing, let it end. Else one or the other of you will be stuck emotionally in this relationship and not move forward.

Also consider the fact that you could be cultivating the friendship and the best guy could pass you by because he thinks you two are an item.

You know, I really have to agree with this. It makes perfect sense. I've been contemplating my view on this and I have to say that I'm of this same opinion.

Upvote 0