Texas
✟86,999.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
I think the word "Protestant" has a negative implication, almost second rate or inferior association. Is that right? Or am I reading too much into this?

Only when Catholics use it as an insult. I've seen Catholics say, "I wish my Protestant friends could be saved" and basically look down on us. Most Catholics are respectful but some aren't.

Upvote 0

Sam91

Child of the Living God
Site Supporter
Jul 10, 2016
United Kingdom
✟53,491.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
To answer your question though I'd find it surprising to be labelled a protestant as it's not something I identify myself as. On forms it would be Christian, or Christian other.

I class myself as 'non denominational but attend a ____ church'. I know nothing about Luther other than he came up with reasons to break away from Catholism and don't what they are. I know nothing of Calvin.

What I know of are Jesus, Abraham, Moses, Jacob, David, Paul, Peter and the other Apostles, Timothy, Barnabus etc. I follow God and the Bible not a faction.

Upvote 0

Quasiblogo

Site Supporter
Jan 9, 2007
Continental U.S.
✟971,024.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
"Christian".

I was raised Roman Catholic (RCC) and lived a year in a religious order.

I now attend what would be called in the U.S. a "pentecostal" or "charismatic" fellowship.

Not "Protestant", because in the classical sense (reformed), I am not. Not "evangelical", because even a large swath of the RCC is evangelical.

I could be "catholic" if I wanted to be theologically cute, i.e., being part of the Body of Christ, which is universal.

Yes Paul, I was blown-away when I saw a plain cross and not a large-size crucifix in the back of an altar.

I do understand the mindset behind why most Catholics prefer to be called just that. They are stating that they profess to be following God through what they believe to be God's custodian of faith in Jesus on earth, hence their "church" is "Church", and that church, catholic and, institutionally, Catholic.

Me, Christian. That's because I see all followers of Messiah Jesus as just that.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Sam91

Child of the Living God
Site Supporter
Jul 10, 2016
United Kingdom
✟53,491.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
It would only be a technical point to say that you aren't a Protestant, but that still doesn't mean you have to like the term being applied to you.

I don't fully understand that. I don't suppose I mind the term. Just would be surprised to be addressed as such. I possibly wouldn't bother objecting as that would probably be seen as contrary. It's not important enough.

Upvote 0

hedrick

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Feb 8, 2009
New Jersey
✟1,148,008.00
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Single
Upvote 0

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
I don't fully understand that. I don't suppose I mind the term. Just would be surprised to be addressed as such. I possibly wouldn't bother objecting as that would probably be seen as contrary. It's not important enough.
I agree it's not something to get worked up about one way or the other. However, if you've never joined a church, you could well say that you are not a Protestant (or a Catholic or Eastern Orthodox or Mormon or anything else, for that matter).

But if you share the main beliefs of all these Protestant churches you've attended, it would be reasonable for someone to consider you to be a Protestant. Even "non-denominational" carries the implication of Protestant in today's society.

• Agree
Reactions: Sam91
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Sam91

Child of the Living God
Site Supporter
Jul 10, 2016
United Kingdom
✟53,491.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
I agree it's not something to get worked up about one way or the other. However, if you've never joined a church, you could well say that you are not a Protestant (or a Catholic or Eastern Orthodox or Mormon or anything else, for that matter).

But if you share the main beliefs of all these Protestant churches you've attended, it would be reasonable for someone to consider you to be a Protestant. Even "non-denominational" carries the implication of Protestant in today's society.
That's why I wouldn't protest hehe

Upvote 0

Sam91

Child of the Living God
Site Supporter
Jul 10, 2016
United Kingdom
✟53,491.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
I think the word "Protestant" has a negative implication, almost second rate or inferior association. Is that right? Or am I reading too much into this?
I have never thought of 'protestant' inferior or demeaning etc. Hasn't occurred to see it in a negative sense other that I think of the Church of Scotland church down the street where people tend to look pale for some odd reason. I don't associate it with other denominations.

I think that's the bias from the people you associate with rubbing off. Like if I think Catholic I have the initial terror of prejudice but then remember to see the person the religion.

Upvote 0

hedrick

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Feb 8, 2009
New Jersey
✟1,148,008.00
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Single
There are times when it's useful to have at least approximate knowledge of where someone is coming from. For that purpose, broad characterizations such as Catholic and Protestant are useful.

I've heard at least Lutherans, Anglicans, and Baptists say they aren't Protestant. But they all believe that Scripture is the ultimate authority in questions of faith, however important history and tradition are. And they all hold some version of justification by faith.

Upvote 0

PloverWing

Episcopalian
May 5, 2012
New Jersey
✟335,032.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
My answer is similar to Raphael Jauregui's, above. It is accurate to describe me as "Protestant", because my church is descended from the English Reformation. Additionally, I disagree with the Catholic view of the nature of the church and its authority, and that is a Protestant point of view.

But immediately I want to qualify the label: 1) I am not anti-Catholic. I disagree with some Catholic beliefs, but I agree with the vast majority of what Catholics believe. 2) The Anglican tradition sits on the boundary of "Protestant" and "Catholic", insofar as the English Reformation sought to preserve as much as possible of what was good in Catholicism.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Reformed2

Site Supporter
May 4, 2017
Delete
✟69,056.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
There are three classifications of Christians; protestant, orthodox and catholic. Even if someone does not "identify" as protestant, they still are. The term protestant means non-catholic/ orthodox Christian. It's not a bad term. :)

Definition of PROTESTANT
"a Christian not of a Catholic or Eastern church"

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Anguspure

Kaitiaki Peacemakers NZ
Site Supporter
Jun 28, 2011
New Zealand
✟125,935.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Perhaps nothing. The average person doesn't know the origin of a lot of terms that everyone uses and which have meaning just the same. I know some guys who drive trucks and they belong to the Teamsters' Union. They've never been behind a team of horses, but they're not offended by the word.
That's right it has about as much meaning as to call someone "Religious", so I prefer not to give credence to a label that nobody understands the meaning of.
I might prefer to be called a "God botherer" or a "Do gooder", at least then we know what people are getting at. But really I might prefer something even more obscure or mystical like "Nazarene" which might lead people to ask questions, until they decide I'm just another "Religious Nut", that is.

Upvote 0

Godlovesmetwo

Fringe Catholic
Mar 16, 2016
Antwerp
✟17,860.00
Country
Djibouti
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Others
Sure I grew up with prejudices towards Protestants. In my simple word as a child, there were only Catholics and Protestants. I wasn't aware people could be Muslim, Buddhist or Atheist for that matter.
I am trying to come to terms with my current prejudice which is still there. I don't think like a Protestant. (even that might sound derogatory but I think there is truth in that). My older brother used to use the term "Protestant work ethic". So I imagine that Protestants worked harder than us.
I don't think I will ever agree to Sola Scriptura or faith without works. So in a sense, you do flock to people that think the same as you.
I just think it is sad if we only have friends who are the same denomination or think the same as us. We never get out of our comfort zone or get our ideas challenged. And we just become more set in our ways.
The way forward is ecumenism as Pope Francis is proving. I'd like to think my brother (a Protestant Pentecostal) is heading in the same direction as me. That as Christians we are at least sharing the same goal, the same love of Christ. He has a far greater love of his neighbour than me. Its inspirational to see him, because he really does radiate God's love. I could never evangelise directly like he does, and I respect his courage to go out on the streets and do it.
I'm not enamoured with the Catholic system entirely either. I see danger in giving a Church, a group of human beings too much power. I question the infallibility of the Pope, though as a catholic I'm not supposed to. If all Popes could be like Francis, I'd be so proud. He is the classic servant leader which we need in this world.

Reactions: PloverWing
Upvote 0

4x4toy

Site Supporter
Jul 5, 2014
✟116,025.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Paul, you know I love you but the Word of God is my final and complete authority . I may fail miserably sometimes but I've come to love it and trust it more than myself, any church, my wife or my sons . But they know this and have come to trust me because of it .
I do not know the Pope or care to and I'll never help carry all the baggage any churches try to hand me . Peter is not the foundation of the church imo, just another stone laid on the foundation and cornerstone like us if we are born again .. I hope you don't take offense but God is the only one who's always there for me ..

Reactions: Xeena
Upvote 0

Godlovesmetwo

Fringe Catholic
Mar 16, 2016
Antwerp
✟17,860.00
Country
Djibouti
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Others
Paul, you know I love you but the Word of God is my final and complete authority . I may fail miserably sometimes but I've come to love it and trust it more than myself, any church, my wife or my sons . But they know this and have come to trust me because of it .
I do not know the Pope or care to and I'll never help carry all the baggage any churches try to hand me . Peter is not the foundation of the church imo, just another stone laid on the foundation and cornerstone like us if we are born again .. I hope you don't take offense but God is the only one who's always there for me ..
I don't take offence at all toy because your style of communication betrays your heart of gold! :)

Reactions: 4x4toy
Upvote 0