USA
✟234,973.00
Country
United States
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Married
"And this is the judgment: the light has come into the world, and people loved the darkness rather than the light because their works were evil." (John 3:19 ESV)

Who does the above verse apply to?

a) All people

b) Unbelievers

Lastly, why do you think so?

Solomons Porch

Solomon's Porch
Jan 8, 2017
East
✟206,553.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
(A)
Dont think we all know that it is darkness til the light has been shown
And until is has been shown we do not know we are in the dark
If you are in a closet born in the darkness and the door is never opened
Then we never know what light is.....
Scripture that you quoted backs that up:
and people loved the darkness rather than the light because their works were evil.

Upvote 0

jimmyjimmy

Pardoned Rebel
Site Supporter
Jan 2, 2015
USA
✟234,973.00
Country
United States
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Married
(A)
Dont think we all know that it is darkness til the light has been shown
And until is has been shown we do not know we are in the dark
If you are in a closet born in the darkness and the door is never opened
Then we never know what light is.....
Scripture that you quoted backs that up:

In order to know that your deeds are evil, you would have to have had some light, no?

Upvote 0

jimmyjimmy

Pardoned Rebel
Site Supporter
Jan 2, 2015
USA
✟234,973.00
Country
United States
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Married
Darkness means nothing else but ignorance. All evil things or evil deeds come from ignorance or lack of knowledge or believing in lies/false teachings.

Do you know it's wrong to take my wallet?

Upvote 0

timewerx

the village i--o--t--
Aug 31, 2012
✟299,159.00
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Single
Do you know it's wrong to take my wallet?

You'll be surprised many people who steal don't think it's wrong. And to those who does, they don't really understand the consequences both in this world and to the soul. Thus, ignorance is reason.

Upvote 0

jimmyjimmy

Pardoned Rebel
Site Supporter
Jan 2, 2015
USA
✟234,973.00
Country
United States
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Married
You'll be surprised many people who steal don't think it's wrong. And to those who does, they don't really understand the consequences both in this world and to the soul. Thus, ignorance is reason.

I wouldn't be surprised at all because people aren't ignorant regarding theft. How do I know that, because they would object be having their possessions stolen.

Upvote 0

Solomons Porch

Solomon's Porch
Jan 8, 2017
East
✟206,553.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
In order to know that your deeds are evil, you would have to have had some light, no?
YEP, that's what I meant by being born in a closet you would only know darkness until/unless the door was opened for you to see what light was THEN you will have to decide for yourself in what to believe since all you have known was darkness.

77503d24dcbe4bf5c8a53b1d478c0e66.jpg

Upvote 0

jimmyjimmy

Pardoned Rebel
Site Supporter
Jan 2, 2015
USA
✟234,973.00
Country
United States
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Married
YEP, that's what I meant by being born in a closet you would only know darkness until/unless the door was opened for you to see what light was THEN you will have to decide for yourself in what to believe since all you have known was darkness.

77503d24dcbe4bf5c8a53b1d478c0e66.jpg

Now I'm confused.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

yeshuaslavejeff

simple truth, martyr, disciple of Yahshua
Jan 6, 2005
okie
✟214,996.00
Faith
Anabaptist
"And this is the judgment: the light has come into the world, and people loved the darkness rather than the light because their works were evil." (John 3:19 ESV)
a) All people
b) Unbelievers
All people whose works were evil, who did not repent and be immersed in Jesus Name.

Upvote 0

yeshuaslavejeff

simple truth, martyr, disciple of Yahshua
Jan 6, 2005
okie
✟214,996.00
Faith
Anabaptist
All most people ever know on earth is darkness, yes, just as written.

Upvote 0

Wordkeeper

Oct 1, 2013
✟83,580.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

a) All people

b) Unbelievers

Ephesians 2:12remember that you were at that time separate from Christ, excluded from the commonwealth of Israel, and strangers to the covenants of promise, having no hope and without God in the world.

Unbelievers are being discussed.

I was 14 when I realized that there was no hope in life. So don't think that people in the ancient world did not think or know about the futility of life.

The question is what did people do, faced with the problem? John says they did not accept the solution given by Jesus, because it required faith, effort and risk. They preferred to accept that there was no solution, because it required no effort or risk from their side. That's why they loved the situation, the darkness.

Upvote 0

bbbbbbb

Jun 9, 2015
✟367,110.00
Faith
Non-Denom

a) All people

b) Unbelievers

I wish you had made this into a poll. This is a really excellent question.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

nonaeroterraqueous

Nonexistent Member
Aug 16, 2014
✟188,987.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
I turn on a light in a dark room, and the vermin scatter. The cockroaches won't normally come into the light unless they've run out of darkness to hide in. The rats and mice stay in the walls and attic where it is dark, so that by darkness they will not bee seen, and by not being seen they will remain safe. When I turn on the light, the burglar jumps out of the window into the night, because his deed is exposed, and he feels threatened.

I turn on the light so that I can see plainly what I am doing. My wife comes into the light so that she can also see what I am doing. What am I doing? I'm stomping on cockroaches, of course!

These verses, when taken in context, denote two types of people: those who come into the light, and those who do not. Therefore, everyone cannot fall into one category, or there would be no one left to fall into the other (Turn out the lights and they all fall into something).

Upvote 0

timewerx

the village i--o--t--
Aug 31, 2012
✟299,159.00
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Single
I wouldn't be surprised at all because people aren't ignorant regarding theft. How do I know that, because they would object be having their possessions stolen.

There are also people called hypocrites (having double standards).

They only think it's wrong if the crime is done to them but don't think it's wrong if they're the one committing the crime. Hypocrisy is a conscious and deliberate choice to live in darkness (ignorance).

Upvote 0

jimmyjimmy

Pardoned Rebel
Site Supporter
Jan 2, 2015
USA
✟234,973.00
Country
United States
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Married
There are also people called hypocrites (having double standards).

They only think it's wrong if the crime is done to them but don't think it's wrong if they're the one committing the crime. Hypocrisy is a conscious and deliberate choice to live in darkness (ignorance).

I can't continue this.

Upvote 0