Do you live alone? If So, how do you spend your free time?

Bobby H

Site Supporter
Jun 10, 2013
✟60,004.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I don't know who all is like me in the fact that they live alone. Some single people have roommates. Some are still living at home. Some have children. I'm one of the ones who has lived alone for the last ten years. I've lived in the same apartment all this time.

I've worked 40 hours a week (barring vacations) for all this time. I've dated on and off with nothing serious ever developing. I don't have as many close friends as I used to (many have moved away, gotten married, etc., and some have even passed away).

It's debatable whether or not all this time alone is good or bad, but I really try to make the most of all this time. If you'll indulge me for a minute, I'll tell you about what I spend my time doing.

THE GOOD:

I got into reading a lot about four years ago and have read probably a book every month since then. It started when I bought an Amazon Kindle but I've also gotten back into reading physical books. I read a lot of mysteries, some sci-fi (but usually only Star Trek), and various other types of fiction.

About a year ago, I started practicing Spanish on DuoLingo a few times a week. I'm at 40% proficiency in Spanish now.

I got a musical keyboard in September. I've been practicing that quite a bit since then. I can play Mary Had a Little Lamb, Old Saint Nicholas, Happy Birthday to You, and a few other small-time songs. Still trying to get the hang of it.

I've written two novels during National Novel Writing Month (November of this year and last). Both earned a "winner" stamp for surpassing the 50,000 word minimum.

Five years ago I signed up for an account at KhanAcademy.org. I study math there and am 73% of the way through the entire math cirriculum now (it goes from simple counting all the way to multivariable calculus).

I have taken several classes at Coursera and have earned several certificates for them. I have also done a few at Udacity (before it became expensive), edX, and Udemy.

THE BAD:

I try to exercise... but I don't do it enough, or for long enough.

I spend too much time mindlessly browsing the Internet (watching YouTube videos, reading pointless Wikipedia articles, etc.).

I have cable TV and I spend a lot of time just flipping through the channels. I also have a Netflix subscription, and I spend more time playing with that darn queue than I do watching anything.

Sometimes I get really down and depressed and I just lay on the bed or the couch and stare up at the ceiling. I also dwell on stuff too much in my mind.

I try to get out of the house in the hopes of meeting people. I go to the store and buy stuff I oftentimes don't need. I go to the mall and browse. I go to the bookstore.

The house is oftentimes quite messy. Clothes on the bedroom floor, dishes in the sink, junk mail on the coffee table, a shower that needs to be cleaned, etc.

So... with that said, tell me what you people who live alone do with your spare time?

LoveDivine

May 20, 2015
✟123,948.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
That is awesome that you have learned how to do all those things:) I really believe that single people should try to better themselves and enjoy life while they are single. I've always lived with family, but I just bought my own place and I'm settling in to living alone. In my case, I have family very close by and I visit them all the time.That does really help me not feel totally alone or isolated. I realize not everyone has that opportunity:(

Right now, my free time is being spent unpacking and setting up the place. Once I get settled in, I hope to spend my evenings working out (I prefer to exercise at home than in a gym), relaxing by surfing the web, and hopefully practicing some violin pieces (I started violin lessons over 10 years ago).

Your post reminds me that I need to get back to using Duolingo. I was working on my Italian comprehension but I have become so distracted lately. I can't remember the last time I logged in, lol.

What type of novels do you enjoy writing?

Upvote 0

Goodbook

Reading the Bible
Jan 22, 2011
New Zealand
Visit site
✟78,875.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
I am thinking of living in a trailer or caravan. I was just talking to another friend who did that for a while. Ive done the whole flatting thing...and im done with that. Living with brothers was terrible and livng with parents can be a mixed bag.

Those who can afford their own house must have it good because its very expensive these days.
I dont know many people who live alone. Actually I used to know a friend who had her own apartment in town. But she was quite lonely and got into relationships that werent good for her. I think another friend has a place but its like a flat on another persons property so they share a phone line.

Actually, my brother does live alone for most of the time as my other brother who shares the house goes away for work out of town. I dont know that he is very social but he has hobbies like hes in a car club and restores old cars.

And one lady i knew from work who lived alone was always going on tramps, she was in a tramping club..hiking to non nzers.

Upvote 0

Bobby H

Site Supporter
Jun 10, 2013
✟60,004.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
What type of novels do you enjoy writing?

The first one that I did (in 2014) was kind of a sci-fi type story about a "hidden" area of the Florida Everglades. This year's book was more of an action-adventure story that takes place in a small New England town where a used car dealer fights against a group of criminals from Nova Scotia. Though they were different genres, I tied them together very subtly (a character from the first book makes a cameo in the second one as a friend of the main character). It's very easy to read one without the other; the tie-in is barely noticeable. I have started a third one in my spare time that takes place in the Northwest Corner of the United States. It's another action-adventure story and once again features a link to the other two. The main character in the third one is a newspaper reporter who once interviewed one of the characters from the second book. It's another tie-in but if you blink, you would never notice notice it.

Reactions: LoveDivine
Upvote 0